Running Instagrammers #13 Strava doesn’t lie, my watch really did die!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Brighton didn’t have any snacks either - not even a drink at the finish! Maybe they’ve all stopped this?

Reactions: 1
Brighton didn’t have any snacks either - not even a drink at the finish! Maybe they’ve all stopped this?
Did it have nothing at all this year?
Last year I’m sure I got a banana, non alcoholic beer and a water. But their organisation was tit in doing so.

Then there was … one of the Yoghurt(?) drink people doing unaffiliated pop up freebies from the promenade which was glorious.

Did it have nothing at all this year?
Last year I’m sure I got a banana, non alcoholic beer and a water. But their organisation was tit in doing so.

Then there was … one of the Yoghurt(?) drink people doing unaffiliated pop up freebies from the promenade which was glorious.
Just a bottle of water at Brighton this year

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Not running influencer related as such but doe anyone know how the remaining Elite Team GB marathon places are been decided. Is it a case of top 2 men and top women at London providing they have the qualifying time or will the other women who had the time from another race.
Without Mo Farah running I guess most of Elite coverage on BBC will focus on top international elite male/female winners.

Reactions: 3
I think London doubles up as the British Champs doesn’t it? So I’d expect the top 2 men and top woman would get the remaining spots, but I’ve not looked up the selection criteria. There is usually some sort of selection drama whatever happens.

I’m glad Mo Farah isn’t running, hopefully the other elites will get some decent coverage. I’m mainly hoping they will decide to retire the footage of Welsh tits being ‘selfless’ for the cameras after bleeping his race up.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Has anyone come across Emily Jane Fairs? Just your typical nondescript running vest new to running fitness influencer but she caught my eye as she is clearly and repeatedly lying about her time at LLMH, saying she ran 1:46 (with a sub 6 min mile lol, obviously a gps glitch but she's acting like it's real) when her chip says 1:54. Now seems to think she can rub a sub 1:30 next... and of course is charging money for "coaching"! Just makes me wonder how many of these types are actually truthful about their training...
Just looked her up and looks like a classic instagram clown. Sure she has 118k followers 🤡 why do people fall for desperate frauds like this. Her content looks bleeping dreadful as well 😂

• Haha
I just looked her up too and wished I hadn’t. She’s all that’s wrong with the world 😭😭 self obsessed mediocre runner telling others what to do when she’s so average and inexperienced it’s painful to watch. Urgh.

Reactions: 5
This is another pet peeve of mine omfg. I can’t remember who but I saw another influencer claim a 2 hour half recently because of strava when her record finish time was 2.14 - SO annoying. Strava is so glitchy, it thinks I ran a 3 min Km in the middle of a race - would never claim that as a PB. People need to realise that your finish time is the chip time, not whatever glitchy GPS time your strava comes up with.
Big pet peeve of mine too. I once asked in a Q&A box why one influencer used their Garmin time for their half mara (which they cropped to 13.1 miles rather than the 13.4 miles they ran in the race) and they said it's because they took their time from the 13.1 distance as Garmin measures distance accurately. Nah, it's the chip time. You did a 1:50 half not a 1:46. I get it's annoying when you run further in a race due to it being busy and weaving etc, but the chip time is your time.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
It’s becoming boring to hear isn’t it?! I’m all for inclusive events but when people complain (like someone last year) and are walking the whole thing from start to finish, well why aren’t they doing a walking event which caters for this?
Totally agree. If you’re going to walk the marathon do a walking event not a running one

similar to parkrun - those that meet up with their mates to walk it with a coffee. It’s not fair on the Marshalls waiting for you to finish. Just go for a coffee and a 5k walk with your mates?!

Reactions: 9
London Mara isn’t doing snacks this year either - just water and lucosade. They’ve said to pack your own snacks in your kitbag. Said it’s because everyone likes different things post race. Which I guess is true and perhaps there’s something in this in trying to reduce waste

Reactions: 3
Totally agree. If you’re going to walk the marathon do a walking event not a running one

similar to parkrun - those that meet up with their mates to walk it with a coffee. It’s not fair on the Marshalls waiting for you to finish. Just go for a coffee and a 5k walk with your mates?!
I don’t mind it so much at parkrun because really it’s a maximum of an hour walking for a 5k. Whenever I tailwalk I expect to be walking for about an hour. For some of our walkers it’s such a lifeline getting ouf at parkrun every week

An extra 4 hours of volunteering at a marathon though is another story!

Reactions: 6
London Mara isn’t doing snacks this year either - just water and lucosade. They’ve said to pack your own snacks in your kitbag. Said it’s because everyone likes different things post race. Which I guess is true and perhaps there’s something in this in trying to reduce waste
Yeah, I get that. But surely everyone likes a banana post race... right? Even my banana hating husband likes a banana post race!
---
I don’t mind it so much at parkrun because really it’s a maximum of an hour walking for a 5k. Whenever I tailwalk I expect to be walking for about an hour. For some of our walkers it’s such a lifeline getting ouf at parkrun every week

You're lucky you've got a parkrun that doesn't attract either a huge amount of walkers or the ones we get... sometimes the tailwalker at our local is out for over an hour and a half...

Long before parkwalk started off (a few years pre-COVID) there was a chap who used to 'walk' our local in just shy of 2 hours.

Think it's tricky with parkrun as over the past few years it's vibe has definitely focused more towards inclusivity for all and a public health message...therefore pushing park walk. I think it's a hard balance then between being a genuinely inclusive public health event outdoors and not taking the p*ss with volunteer time and good will week after week.

As for marathons... I feel if you are paying good money to enter and read details of the cut off when entering, the race should support that. It's not an event purely put on by volunteers .
---
But on the other hand could be worth putting on more events similar to the moonwalk, with the marathon distance but a more fun run or walk focus? I feel the moonwalk is very focused towards women only and breast cancer which makes it a great event to raise awareness of that cause but the concept of a marathon walk might be appealing to those who just want to complete the distance or support another charity

Reactions: 2

We are lucky that our slowest walker walks it in 45 minutes, if I am tail walker I have the jog to keep up with them.

In fairness to the parkrun walkers, they maybe don’t realise that they are an inconvenience to volunteers, especially if it’s being marketed as an inclusive event where walking is welcomed.

Reactions: 2