Ruby Granger

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think Miss Patina must be ethical given the prices and the fact Ruby justifies every item of clothing she wears as being '10 years old' but doesn't do so when showing clothes from them. I've never really looked into their clothing but just from the website the prices are crazy.

Reactions: 3
I think Miss Patina must be ethical given the prices and the fact Ruby justifies every item of clothing she wears as being '10 years old' but doesn't do so when showing clothes from them. I've never really looked into their clothing but just from the website the prices are crazy.
They are made in China which says it all really. I've bought a few pieces which I promptly returned because their sizing is strange and the quality is shite.

• Wow
Reactions: 7
So's their sizing!
Variations of sizing between items usually means that, rather than having their own manufacturer/brand, they get their items from multiple countries, including those that have less than ideal ethical practices re: work conditions/pay. Who cares as long as it looks aesthetic, amirite? /sarcasm

Reactions: 6
I wonder if they aren't good quality, as I'm a slut for a good eBay second hand purchase and there's almost nothing of theirs on there to be had!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
On her latest video around the 7 min mark she wrote notes on what to ask her tutor on feedback (on an essay she got a 1st) and I quote:

“You say my conclusion doesn’t add up with my thesis statement, but I feel it does.”

Then goes on to cite examples of how the tutor is wrong.

I’m assuming she’s going to word it nicely to her tutor but that comes across as massively passive aggressive 😂

I never have had that confidence at uni lol but I only got a 2:1 sooooo haha

Also I wonder what kind of student she is in seninars!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
Hate to stereotype but maybe the confidence is a private school confidence thing? As a state schooler at a Russel group you can usually tell who went to private school and who didn’t based on their interactions with you/the lecturers

• Wow
Reactions: 25
I sensed Ruby was getting stressed at not meeting her own schedule for the day. Not reading enough of this, not making notes on that. She seemed really stressed.

Reactions: 4
At least she finally said that she’s been at home
for a while now...

Reactions: 1
Hate to stereotype but maybe the confidence is a private school confidence thing? As a state schooler at a Russel group you can usually tell who went to private school and who didn’t based on their interactions with you/the lecturers
As a state schooler who went to an RG I’ve found this to be true! As I’ve gone through uni and into the workplace I’ve really realised how key confidence is and it honestly makes all the difference having been supported in your school life because those things stick with you.

I built my confidence during uni and in jobs I’ve had since and during but I’ve got close friends who went to boarding school and those who went to private and they just have a confidence when applying for jobs they’re (sorry!) not qualified for, going for promotions, questioning tutors at uni, bosses at work... they believed they could be or do anything and more times than not they’ve got the promotion or new job because they know how to sell themselves and BE confident- they’re doing amazingly career wise because they had the confidence to go for it.

I’m not saying it’s as black and white as that (also not having a go at anyone, just noting what I saw) but at my crappy state school no teacher ever told me I could even go to uni (I now have two degrees and have had a good career so far too). I could talk about this all day but just goes to show the advantages and privileges people have without even knowing it.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
As a state schooler who went to an RG I’ve found this to be true! As I’ve gone through uni and into the workplace I’ve really realised how key confidence is and it honestly makes all the difference having been supported in your school life because those things stick with you.

I built my confidence during uni and in jobs I’ve had since and during but I’ve got close friends who went to boarding school and those who went to private and they just have a confidence when applying for jobs they’re (sorry!) not qualified for, going for promotions, questioning tutors at uni, bosses at work... they believed they could be or do anything and more times than not they’ve got the promotion or new job because they know how to sell themselves and BE confident- they’re doing amazingly career wise because they had the confidence to go for it.

I’m not saying it’s as black and white as that (also not having a go at anyone, just noting what I saw) but at my crappy state school no teacher ever told me I could even go to uni (I now have two degrees and have had a good career so far too). I could talk about this all day but just goes to show the advantages and privileges people have without even knowing it.
This is really interesting! I went to private school for a short while and had the complete opposite experience. It completely crippled my confidence and heightened my social anxiety. The abundance confidence from others during lessons was so overwhelming it made me feel worthless, and I felt so guilty for being in such a privileged position that I wasn't utilising as I never spoke in class.

• Heart
Reactions: 13

I feel this!! I’m so not confident compared to others at my uni I’m definitely the student who has done all the reading and has loads of ideas but is too scared to say them, you can definitely tell who wen to private school and who is middle class because they are usually the ones who talk loads and suck up to the lecturers. My uni is quite “posh” if you wanna say that and there’s loads of middle class private school students and I feel so intimidated by them coming from a working class state school background. ruby definitely is that student who talks loads in seminars - her privilege is so obvious and she doesn’t really seem down to earth at all

I feel this!! I’m so not confident compared to others at my uni I’m definitely the student who has done all the reading and has loads of ideas but is too scared to say them, you can definitely tell who wen to private school and who is middle class because they are usually the ones who talk loads and suck up to the lecturers. My uni is quite “posh” if you wanna say that and there’s loads of middle class private school students and I feel so intimidated by them coming from a working class state school background. ruby definitely is that student who talks loads in seminars - her privilege is so obvious and she doesn’t really seem down to earth at all
Definitely got this!!!! I have a few friends who went to private primary and even at 23 it’s actually astonishing how differently they view themseleves and their abilities. If I have the money I definitely will be paying for my child to have a lifetime of confidence.

• Heart
I’m just watching her new video and she only does 2 modules?! She does way too much work for that, I do 6 modules and don’t do half as much as Ruby does!!

I’m just watching her new video and she only does 2 modules?! She does way too much work for that, I do 6 modules and don’t do half as much as Ruby does!!
I can't speak for Exeter but I did do an English Literature Undergraduate degree elsewhere. Typically you do 60 credits per semester, and depending on weighting it would be 6 10 credits modules or a combination of 10 and 20 credits, so let's say between 3-6 modules per semester. So to do just 2, I don't quite understand...unless she's actually a part time student? In 3rd year some project modules are more heavily weighted, but for second year I am surprised. Are there any Exeter students here who can confirm?

I can't speak for Exeter but I did do an English Literature Undergraduate degree elsewhere. Typically you do 60 credits per semester, and depending on weighting it would be 6 10 credits modules or a combination of 10 and 20 credits, so let's say between 3-6 modules per semester. So to do just 2, I don't quite understand...unless she's actually a part time student? In 3rd year some project modules are more heavily weighted, but for second year I am surprised. Are there any Exeter students here who can confirm?
I studied at Exeter (Economics, so this may not be too relevant) and I never had fewer than 4 modules per term, and neither did any of my friends who studied other degrees (again, not English)

Last edited:
Are there 30 credit modules for a 2nd year? At my uni it’s all 10 and 20 credit modules - the dissertation is double but I don’t think there’s any higher than that. Even if that is what she’s doing, then the amount she shows herself studying is insane for just two modules

On her latest video around the 7 min mark she wrote notes on what to ask her tutor on feedback (on an essay she got a 1st) and I quote:

“You say my conclusion doesn’t add up with my thesis statement, but I feel it does.”

Then goes on to cite examples of how the tutor is wrong.

I’m assuming she’s going to word it nicely to her tutor but that comes across as massively passive aggressive 😂

I never have had that confidence at uni lol but I only got a 2:1 sooooo haha

Also I wonder what kind of student she is in seninars!
She pretty much admitted that she's one of those students who over-shares (to the detriment of other people's contributions).

Reactions: 9
i was about to say the 3rd would be a research project or dissertation but no she’s only in second year

Reactions: 2
Are there 30 credit modules for a 2nd year? At my uni it’s all 10 and 20 credit modules - the dissertation is double but I don’t think there’s any higher than that. Even if that is what she’s doing, then the amount she shows herself studying is insane for just two modules
I never had 30 credit modules in second year, so I'm intrigued what Ruby meant, but I definitely heard her say she is doing two modules. :unsure:

She pretty much admitted that she's one of those students who over-shares (to the detriment of other people's contributions).
Yes she said she held back on speaking too much because of being conscious of being on speaker because of being remote. I can imagine her being enthusiastic in class.

Edit:
If I have found the right course then I stand corrected, the modules seem to be 30 credits each...

Last edited:
  • Heart
This is really interesting! I went to private school for a short while and had the complete opposite experience. It completely crippled my confidence and heightened my social anxiety. The abundance confidence from others during lessons was so overwhelming it made me feel worthless, and I felt so guilty for being in such a privileged position that I wasn't utilising as I never spoke in class.
This! I went to private school and it really damaged my self-confidence. From my experience there are two types of people; those who have been told how worthy of success they are their whole lives and are completely unaware of their privilege, and those who are aware of it and more reserved. So many lessons I just sat in silence, feeling so judged for speaking up in class as many believed their opinion was superior to everyone else and wouldn't let others have time to speak. I felt so worthless during my time there and I was so silent during lessons no teachers really could help me. I too felt so guilty for not being able to participate in lessons and activities due to my anxiety as my parents were paying for this experience.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.