Ruby Granger

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oversized pieces can work, but only if they are paired with true sized pieces too. I also don't know if this bugs anyone else, but the way she puts her hands on her waist (with her wrists facing outwards and palms on her back) really riles me.

Is it really a dialectal thing though? She has tried desperately hard to eliminate the accent her sister and parents use, and yet decides to keep the regional pronunciation of some words? Doesn't really add up to me. Especially given that she also pronounces other words wrong which don't have a regional variant (such as the author Daphne De Maurier's surname).
Can someone please explain to me about the accents, what is her accent and what are the accents of her family? Like whats the difference between them, I can tell they’re different but what are their accents actually called? And where abouts are they from in the UK?

Can someone please explain to me about the accents, what is her accent and what are the accents of her family? Like whats the difference between them, I can tell they’re different but what are their accents actually called? And where abouts are they from in the UK?
I'd say her family's accent is a mix of Southern British Standard (common in the South of England generally) and Hertfordshire (which may be close to where they live, not sure of their location). Ruby's accent is a lot closer to Upper Received Pronunciation (what people would call the Queen's English or a 'posh' accent). That's why it's so jarring when she mispronounces words, but you don't expect it from someone with her accent/sound system.

Source: If you can't tell, I did Linguistics as a degree 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I'd say her family's accent is a mix of Southern British Standard (common in the South of England generally) and Hertfordshire (which may be close to where they live, not sure of their location). Ruby's accent is a lot closer to Upper Received Pronunciation (what people would call the Queen's English or a 'posh' accent). That's why it's so jarring when she mispronounces words, but you don't expect it from someone with her accent/sound system.

Thankyou! Thats interesting, its weird bc her sister actually sounds more posh to me than ruby does lol

Reactions: 1
Thankyou! Thats interesting, its weird bc her sister actually sounds more posh to me than ruby does lol
That's interesting! I think it's more obvious with Ruby because she's very pedantic about pronouncing every sound clearly - e.g. she very rarely drops the final or middle 't' sound in words which is associated with more relaxed accents.

Reactions: 4
So she says aca-day-mia but doesn’t say aca-day-mic?

academic- aca-day-mia
academia- aca-day-mic

She says aca-dem-ic. Why I care I don’t know 😂

I read an excerpt from her Erimelda(?) book, OK I guess, though the superfluous language was a little jarring and I think the behaviours of her protagonist come across as rigid and pretentious... didn’t exactly warm to her and I imagine wouldn’t feel much sympathy for her/relate as the book progressed.

Last edited:

She’s always sounded like she’s faking an Emma Watson/Hermione accent to me because she does sound so different from the rest of her family. It’s weird, like she’s been doing it so many years her voice just got stuck on it. I can’t imagine her enunciating that way as a little kid.

Reactions: 6
So she says aca-day-mia but doesn’t say aca-day-mic?

academic- aca-day-mia
academia- aca-day-mic

She says aca-dem-ic. Why I care I don’t know 😂
Yeah this bothered me too 😂was wondering if I had been saying it wrong all this time.

Reactions: 3

Dending on what side of the county I think she lives in (based on the school she went too) Hertfordshire isn’t that far
I really don’t get her almost out upon accent, the way she was like swaying side to side when she was saying hello it’s ruby, I do think somethings going on in the background, she just seems so different to her past self (like she’s just not happy)

Reactions: 2
I'm from Hertfordshire originally (spent 20 years growing up in the chavvy area haha) and I don't think she sounds like us or the people I grew up around 😬
I agree though, Marfa sounds a lot more posh

She’s always sounded like she’s faking an Emma Watson/Hermione accent to me because she does sound so different from the rest of her family. It’s weird, like she’s been doing it so many years her voice just got stuck on it. I can’t imagine her enunciating that way as a little kid.
Emma Watson grew up in Oxford as did I. Ruby lives not that far from Oxford actually. Although they are on the "posher" accent side. That's not how most people in oxford speak

Her family are standard southern U.K. accents, Ruby’s is false Emma Watson which she’s spent years trying to perfect...

Reactions: 4
All the close-ups of her hands in her dark academia vid are downright frightening. Girl needs some moisturiser! It even looked like she had an open scab at one point. Are her hands that dry because of all her obsessive hand washing?

That’s because she is, look back at her first videos all of them were “What Hermoine would be...” It’s creepy

All the close-ups of her hands in her dark academia vid are downright frightening. Girl needs some moisturiser! It even looked like she had an open scab at one point. Are her hands that dry because of all her obsessive hand washing?
She has OCD tendencies - she’s addressed it before but needs serious help :(

Could be. Mine are a sight of horror nowadays because of washing/disinfecting and general weather. I am however prone to eczema; I wonder if Ruby has a similar issue.

Fair play to her for addressing the fact its a very Eurocentric and white dominated aesthetic though, she doesn’t often talk about stuff like that
I thought it sounded like she had read here and took on board our discussions about dark academia a few pages back...

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Some of what she says is such waffle, like "having a study space that revolves around academics" - yeah duh, it's a study space?? Affordable vintage desks on Etsy??? When she said that she didn't even look like she believed herself. Some of her book recommendations (that I've read) didn't seem very dark academia to me either, like The Ocean at the End of the Lane? The Book Thief? It seems like she included that literally just because of the "books" association. How is Little Women DARK academia?? She didn't really explain anything. I'm not especially into dark academia and don't know much apart from the basics but it doesn't seem like Ruby really grasps it either.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Some of what she says is such waffle, like "having a study space that revolves around academics" - yeah duh, it's a study space?? Affordable vintage desks on Etsy??? When she said that she didn't even look like she believed herself. Some of her book recommendations (that I've read) didn't seem very dark academia to me either, like The Ocean at the End of the Lane? The Book Thief? It seems like she included that literally just because of the "books" association. How is Little Women DARK academia?? She didn't really explain anything. I'm not especially into dark academia and don't know much apart from the basics but it doesn't seem like Ruby really grasps it either.
calling Little Women “dark academia” shows she completely misunderstands the whole concept 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 9
the constant mispronouncing of “academia” kind of distracted me from her explanation on how the pursuit of knowledge is the most important goal in life and one should not stop until it is achieved

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.