Ruby Granger #6 Holes in tights and Victorian delights!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think it may be this. I knew so many people like this at uni; from how they speak up in class, or how they come across in conversation, you'd never think they're deep-thinking or particularly intelligent. But then when you saw their assignments & their exam grades, it was like a whole different person. I'm pretty sure they wanted to save their hard work & thoughts for themselves, lest anyone copy it or something, idk. or maybe she doesn't want to come across as too deep & mature which is in keeping with her desire to be seemingly as childlike as possible.
in general, i think we only see the tip of the iceberg with ruby. If she were as surface-level in her degree as she is in her videos, there's no way she'd be getting such good grades at uni. Similarly, if she were as child-like and rigid in real life as in her videos, she'd never foster friendships like she did & find friends to share a flat with.
((slowly raises hand)) I'm definitely one of those people who acts like an imbecile in lectures and seminars, mostly because I'm super awkward and have social anxiety, so I'm prone to freezing and going silent 😭 I'm not especially intelligent but my grades are good (though I'm lazy af at the moment and need to try harder), and I usually know the material for seminars pretty well - I just feel like I'm being judged like hell when I speak up, and never got used to talking or asking for help in class anyway.
I think Ruby could be quite similar; she seems hesitant in videos with her friends/other people, and tends to be socially awkward. It could be that she can't get the words out, or judges what she's planning to say so intensely that she ends up saying very little (like me lmaooo), or she could just, as someone else mentioned, be tailoring her reviews to her younger audience. I wish she'd make more in-depth videos about her favourite books and genres and really go hardcore with the referencing tbf. She could even link it in with the Uni study stuff by talking over research she did for a long essay?

• Heart
Reactions: 23
She’s actually genuinely really normal in this video - I wish she’d act more like this in her own videos as she’s got quite a likeable personality outside of her YouTube persona
I've watched a few videos where she seems relatively normal/chatty when she's with her sister or a friend. I do think because her audience is comprised of a much younger age, 11-16 year old girls, she's able to put on this flowery childlike Emma Watson persona and play up the productive little student role slightly and obviously she loves the validation from people but is uncomfortable being her completely normal self on camera because that would break the persona. That is, if people actually pay closer attention to her videos they see she can be a bit of a slob and isn't half as productive as she claims to be, and that's okay.

Reactions: 13
I think it may be this. I knew so many people like this at uni; from how they speak up in class, or how they come across in conversation, you'd never think they're deep-thinking or particularly intelligent. But then when you saw their assignments & their exam grades, it was like a whole different person. I'm pretty sure they wanted to save their hard work & thoughts for themselves, lest anyone copy it or something, idk. or maybe she doesn't want to come across as too deep & mature which is in keeping with her desire to be seemingly as childlike as possible.
in general, i think we only see the tip of the iceberg with ruby. If she were as surface-level in her degree as she is in her videos, there's no way she'd be getting such good grades at uni. Similarly, if she were as child-like and rigid in real life as in her videos, she'd never foster friendships like she did & find friends to share a flat with.
Ngl I’ve been quite guilty of this myself - I often don’t share my ideas in pre essay class discussions as I know that most people would include some form of it in their own essay. I know a lot of people are quite surprised when they see my grades as they didn’t think I was clever as I didn’t contribute clever sounding unique ideas etc. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ruby did the same however, it’s slightly strange to keep them to herself in book review videos as they’re not going towards an essay or anything. Still, it would explain why she was upset in that video where the professor mentioned the idea she was going to write about and then she got very upset and emailed him/her.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I used to be, and often still am, like this too, but I just felt very shy and wasn't comfortable sharing my thoughts in/with a larger group of people. In a paper, I could double-check everything my opinions were based on or referred to, and I loved formulating my own criticism and arguments that way. But while other students seemed fine with getting small things wrong in class discussions or just "winging it," I found that to be a huge obstacle.

Of course Ruby can prepare her comments for a review video, but her audience is still huge, so I understand the hesitation. In recent videos and Instagram stories, she has shared select facts on the historical background of her university readings sometimes - just not a lot of independent reflection. Of course she could feel possessive of her own thoughts, too, but for a BA-level student to hesitate before putting herself out there seems quite plausible as well.

Reactions: 8
Do you guys think she actually studies for that long? When she makes the clock timelapses in her videos?

Reactions: 2
Do you guys think she actually studies for that long? When she makes the clock timelapses in her videos?
I think so, because it wouldn't be that unusual during the semester. She is a full-time student after all. "Studying" is such a broad term though - she seems to allow herself to go off on a tangent with slightly more obscure background research every so often (which I think is good), butshe seems to do a lot of busy-work, too (some of which is unavoidable, some of which seems more drawn-out than necessary).

Reactions: 9
As Fran Lebowitz said, "A book is not supposed to be a mirror, it's supposed to be a door." So I'm glad to see her reading Murakami now (although I strongly believe that's gonna be the last Murakami she's gonna read in a while 😭 ).
Yeah I can’t imagine Ruby reading any other Murakami novels - imagine her reading Kafka on the Shore, she wouldn’t know how to handle it 😂 She’d probably just say that the language is beautiful or something like that 😂 HOWEVER, I am pleased to see her reading books like Norwegian Wood and Such A Fun Age! They are excellent choices and will hopefully broaden her literary canon.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Ruby's announced a third book of the month in her book club - 'Such A Fun Age'. I have to say that it's a great choice and unlike the stuff she usually reads. Hopefully it will open her eyes somewhat...
Argh I just bought that and started that today.

Martha is on Instagram live saying Ruby throws temper tantrums and puts a act on
And wants to do a exposing Ruby video

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 53
Omg somebody update me.
someone asked why she's at uni and ruby isn't and she said "because my parents love her more. I'm joking".
she also said she started the live because her mum didn't pick up on facetime

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 24
Yeah I can’t imagine Ruby reading any other Murakami novels - imagine her reading Kafka on the Shore, she wouldn’t know how to handle it 😂 She’d probably just say that the language is beautiful or something like that 😂 HOWEVER, I am pleased to see her reading books like Norwegian Wood and Such A Fun Age! They are excellent choices and will hopefully broaden her literary canon.
Is kafka on the shore a bad one to start with? I bought it to start his work with!

Reactions: 2
I swear Ruby gives me 'not like other girls' vibes more than Marfa ever could. Everything about her online presence screams of being a child who is oh so mature for their age, who gets complimented because they prefer reading. It's interesting how she views her personality pre-bookworm as being rebellious because she played near a window in class, which is a bit bold but still in the realm of normal childish behaviour.

Its funny, because the more childlike shes trying to be, the further she moves away from it. Children don't care about aesthetics, reading X amount of books or cultivating the 'perfect' life, they're too busy doing things they enjoy. That's what makes them so authentic. Ruby is anything but authentic. She only shows things in her videos that fit the aesthetic (and likely does things just because they fit it) and appears to read books just for the count instead of the enjoyment (I doubt Ruby has rarely read a book so captivating that she literally couldnt put it down, and that really makes me feel for her).

No amount of white tights or spins in a field will ever sell the image of childish naivety because the second she opens her mouth, she sounds like a sixth-formers first audition tape.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Is kafka on the shore a bad one to start with? I bought it to start his work with!
No, I wouldn't say that. It's incredible, one of the most Murakami books he's ever written imo; i.e. there's a lot of weird events and questionable sex stuff happening. The protagonist doesn't call himself Kafka for nothing lmao. It could be a bit much to start with maybe, you just need an open mind while reading it.

I can also recommend his short stories for getting into him!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Re. grades and intelligence - bad grades don't equal the lack of intelligence and I think it works other way round too. At uni I've been in class with people who were getting top grades while I would sometimes barely pass. It would mostly be connected with me being lazy as most of the time I didn't find much use in learn every small detail from the book by heart when I could do some more interesting things at that time. Still some people considered it worthy and would get top grades cause they've learned everything, applied ALL teacher's comments and the turn out was exactly as the teacher wanted. The same goes for Ruby, she spends tons of time re-reading stuff, re-writing notes and doing 15 hour study sessions on top of bothering teachers at their office hours. So yeah she may be getting good grades cause she did things exactly as teachers expected but it doesn't always mean it's the only good way and that she's more intelligent (I had tons of tit teachers tho who would not accept some correct answers cause the answer was more in line with the opinions of other uni's teachers and not theirs - stupid but many people failed because of that). No one should feel bad for getting less than perfect grades, that's the most important. I didn't at all but at the same time I got a job in my career in one of the top companies and these people from uni who were getting top grades and would talk how dumb I am behind my back didn't, so 😏 Just do you, live your life and enjoy uni without looking at others I guess. I am worried about her minions tho cause most of the comments are them comparing to Ruby and saying how unproductive and stupid they are...

Reactions: 21
Re. grades and intelligence - bad grades don't equal the lack of intelligence and I think it works other way round too. At uni I've been in class with people who were getting top grades while I would sometimes barely pass. It would mostly be connected with me being lazy as most of the time I didn't find much use in learn every small detail from the book by heart when I could do some more interesting things at that time. Still some people considered it worthy and would get top grades cause they've learned everything, applied ALL teacher's comments and the turn out was exactly as the teacher wanted. The same goes for Ruby, she spends tons of time re-reading stuff, re-writing notes and doing 15 hour study sessions on top of bothering teachers at their office hours. So yeah she may be getting good grades cause she did things exactly as teachers expected but it doesn't always mean it's the only good way and that she's more intelligent (I had tons of tit teachers tho who would not accept some correct answers cause the answer was more in line with the opinions of other uni's teachers and not theirs - stupid but many people failed because of that). No one should feel bad for getting less than perfect grades, that's the most important. I didn't at all but at the same time I got a job in my career in one of the top companies and these people from uni who were getting top grades and would talk how dumb I am behind my back didn't, so 😏 Just do you, live your life and enjoy uni without looking at others I guess. I am worried about her minions tho cause most of the comments are them comparing to Ruby and saying how unproductive and stupid they are...
Yes!! I also find it frustrating that people judge the way others study and present themselves in class, as there are so many factors that affect your ability to do so? A lot of kids and teens with learning disabilities and/or mental illnesses are labelled 'lazy' because they don't seem to pay attention in class, don't do homework well or struggle with exams, but that has nothing to do with their intelligence - it's just the way they handle specific environments. I was more respected by teachers at school when I sat quietly and didn't cause trouble, yet most of the time I was sitting daydreaming, drawing or secretly watching Youtube videos - I gave the illusion (thanks to RBF and loneliness lmao) of productivity. When I was younger, I got called lazy and disruptive because I'd talk to my friends a lot, make jokes and laugh a lot, even though I was still doing the work to a good standard. This sort of mentality is especially harmful to girls, as we're encouraged more than guys to be quiet and not make too much trouble. Often ends in a lot of women being left out and not getting diagnosed for various things because we learn to blend into the crowd from a young age. /rant 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.