Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

CatCafe234

VIP Member
Some of her fans are worrying 😬
We criticise these influencers but honest to God, it’s no wonder they’re all bordering on narcissism. Imagine getting hundreds of comments telling you how wonderful, inspiring and clever you are. How you have so much talent for acting that it‘s something you should definitely, definitely do. It’s so weird.

Reactions: 26

YellowLadybird

Chatty Member
I will never get over how she loves Hermione most in Books 1/2; I'm sure the whole point is that Hermione is an obnoxious little brat at those points. Like, she has a good heart that we see later on, but her extreme nerdiness is not meant to be seen as a positive thing at the start.

She literally says, as part of her character growth, that there are things more important than books. Did Ruby skip that chapter?

tsuyu

Chatty Member
So wait, the internship is run by the uni? Congrats on her for getting it, I think she'll learn some valuable skills and experiences but I can't help feeling her representing the uni through paid ads had a say in it

She looked like she'd been crying and seemed really down at approx 8mins in, no wonder though with the controversy surrounding the memorial #paidAD

Im glad she's done this book video today because I think it is better content. I'd be really interested to see what she thinks of Norwegian Wood because she said she's reading that this month.

One thing I dont understand is why she 'reads' picture books in the first place, never mind including them in her tally. I'd understand reading and reviewing them if you were a primary teacher or an illustrator or even if you were a parent sharing good books to read with little ones... but Ruby reviews them from her own point of view? A 3 year old isn't going to be thinking about the impacts of the class divide aboard the titanic... but she reviews it like she is the target audience... surely if you're reviewing a picture book it's from the point of view of is it a good book to read to/ be read by a child?!

SBJ

Has anyone pointed out that Ruby was originally trying to study English at Oxford which is exactly what Emma Watson did?

I also believe in some of her early videos she had a Kit Kittredge American Girl Doll which is the 1930s doll which appears to be the era she has based her current fashion choices on?

I don't think she knows who she is. She comes across as a surface-level amalgamation of the people and characters she likes despite the fact that they are no longer age appropriate.

• Heart

berkeleymoon87

Can we please talk about her wall with the collage of children's pictures? Does anyone else find it weird/concerning that she has a clear obsession with prepubescent children and young teens? I mentioned this before, but in her 10,000 words in a day video, she had this picture of a young Mackenzie Foy just sitting on her desk. Idk, as an adult, I wouldn't put pictures of children who I am not related to on my wall. I also mentioned this in another post, but this would be a huge red flag if an adult man were to have this for "aesthetic" purposes. Something about it rubs me the wrong way View attachment 414123View attachment 414108
Just a clarification. I'm sure that Ruby doesn't mean anything sinister by this, but from an adult and gendered perspective, it's interesting how we give adult women a pass to show interest in children/childhood. As if there's something inherently childlike and innocent in grown women that makes them incapable of doing harm. A man of Ruby's age would certainly be questioned more critically. I just found it interesting that Ruby does such a good job at playing a child that we forget that she's actually in her 20s.

Just a clarification. I'm sure that Ruby doesn't mean anything sinister by this, but from an adult and gendered perspective, it's interesting how we give adult women a pass to show interest in children/childhood. As if there's something inherently childlike and innocent in grown women that makes them incapable of doing harm. A man of Ruby's age would certainly be questioned more critically. I just found it interesting that Ruby does such a good job at playing a child that we (or her audience) forget that she's actually in her 20s.

• Heart

Deeznutslol

VIP Member
Fellas I’m pretty sure JKR has her own threads on here where you can either trash / stan her, this is the worst direction for this thread to go, as everyone either sees her as a transphobic old hag or vehemently wants to defend her and it just degenerates into arguments.
I’m not surprised Ruby hasn’t spoken on JKR tbh, whatever her opinion is, she knows it’ll create conflict and would probably lose followers from it
hmm i don't think the issue is being a stay at home mum and doing part time work, it's a matter of if she has interests outside her kids! don't get me wrong, being a mum would be a huge part of your identity but you need to have something in place to do when your kids move out... if not, its going to kill you and like you said, she will struggle!

not going to quote anything here but going back to Rubys reading. if you're a very avid reader i think there is no problem with reading a middle grade fiction book from time to time. i think it just matters WHY you're reading the book. are you reading for a light read and a little bit of escapism (especially now due to the pandemic) or are you reading it to regress???
Yeah thats what I mean, I’m not sure that her mum does have many other interests, she seems to live through her kids a bit :/
I wonder what her dad makes of it all, he seems to be out working a lot tbf so I’m not sure how involved he is

missmina

VIP Member
Well to bad she only took the hairstyle advice and not the one about her cringy “acting”🤦🏼‍♀️
All of her monologues begin in the exact same way that is her walking towards the camera raising her eyebrows 😆
3D697745-415F-49FF-AFC7-BE8DBCE95E00.jpeg

Also, delusional much🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️
8AE6A144-A005-4C3F-8725-0E9D1F7B1AF3.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 25

lizzie2707

Just watched Jack Edwards’ 2021 book haul and ngl it was so informative and well explained. He talked deeper about books that he hadn’t even read, in comparison to ruby who manages to talk and talk about books she’s reviewing but manage to not really say anything at the same time. Both of them have done English lit degrees and I’d expect the same level of eloquence from ruby tbh.
Yes agreed! I absolutely have my issues with Jack Edwards (similar levels of unaware privilege), but when it comes to books I’m entirely unsurprised he got a first in English - and from Durham, one of the best English courses in the UK. He reads a far more diverse set of literature, and talks about what he’s read in a far more interesting and analytical way. I also feel like he isn’t aiming for the same audience as Ruby - his videos feel like they’re targeted at people around his age/uni students at least, so when he discusses books he isn’t hamstrung into needing to simplify for 13 year olds, which I think Ruby is.

Ilaariaa

VIP Member
I definitely feel like she avoids things that are even vaguely tight or revealing, because she does not want to show that she has the body of an adult woman underneath.

These reviews are incredible but not having read the book, I can't actually see any examples yet of Erimentha being bullied? I can see examples where she is bordering on bullying others (difficult to tell without reading the original text) but she doesn't seem to be a victim at any point. I'm not sure how many chapters are in the book but surely this should have been established by Chapter 10?
Plot twist: Ruby's book is actually meant to be the story of a bully (Erimentha) that explains what goes on in her head and why she treats people like this. Kinda like Lolita where the story is told from the point of view of a bad person that you're not meant to identify with.

• Haha

moosesauna

Chatty Member
For once that frantic classical music she shoved on top of everything (forgot the name, sorry guys) would actually be a good fit 😂
6am-6.10am: prepare the lines
6.10-6.20am: prepare the note
6.20am-6.25am: snort!!
6.25am-6.40am: green tea, review notes <3
8am: comedown

• Haha

moosesauna

Chatty Member
Honestly every time a Martha video is posted here I feel like I become more of a fan. I know it's proper cringe to ask your mum what her favourite sex position is, but honestly good on Martha for feeling comfortable enough to ask! Also at the end of the video it's so jarring how fake posh Ruby's accent really is, compared to the rest of the family
Idk, I can respect Martha's humour (it's really dumb and immature but her editing is funny, and she makes an effort) and her confidence, but she seems just as obnoxious as Ruby, albeit in the opposite direction personality-wise. Seems like she was compared too much to Ruby when she was younger so now she's trying to be a ~rebel~ by doing drugs etc? There are tons of people like this at every uni (mostly private school kids lmao) and I get that uni is a time to find yourself and develop a personality, but it's just cringeworthy to see upper-middle-class people acting like they've lived in a crack den? it's almost like a poverty cosplay with some people and it's just weird and uncomfortable?

Filthy nails, filthy house, broken furniture, and wearing tattered tights when she clearly can afford to buy new ones. Ruby needs to quit the look books and clean her hands! Quit the 15 hours study sessions and clean her house! I wouldn’t be able to stand living in a dirty cluttered house. Right now she’s proof that money can’t buy class... or hygiene apparently.

• Heart
  • Sick

Ilaariaa

VIP Member
Did anybody else notice that Ruby was mopping the floor with just her stockings on and no slippers or shoes? I cringed so hard at the idea lol

• Sick
  • Haha