Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
Her study habits are questionable, but I do think Ruby is obviously very good at her degree. You have to be doing a lot more than surface level research/analysis/writing to be getting 70s and 80s grades consistently. I think she just downplays analysis etc. in her videos, maybe because her audience is younger and wouldn't really understand?

Reactions: 19

meweme

Has anyone seen Jack Edwards new video in which he reads Bridgerton and rants about the incorrect use of big words? ... Had to think about someone. :D

• Haha

lemonlime

VIP Member
I swear... The nerve of this girl giggling about "feeling the cold so easily" and huddling by the aga while insisting on wandering around that gigantic and probably draughty af house in flimsy sundresses and sleeveless tops. Clearly you're fine?? Unless it's just for the aesthetic of starved Victorian orphan LARP she's been doing for the past two years.

Ilaariaa

VIP Member
Her study habits are questionable, but I do think Ruby is obviously very good at her degree. You have to be doing a lot more than surface level research/analysis/writing to be getting 70s and 80s grades consistently. I think she just downplays analysis etc. in her videos, maybe because her audience is younger and wouldn't really understand?
Idk I just feel like she's good at what she's studied extensively and obsessively but not really a naturally creative or analytical thinker.

Ilaariaa

VIP Member
Ruby and her family strike me as kind of the stereotypical snobbish and rude British tourists. Like the kind that get super annoyed if the locals don't speak perfect English and they have difficulty communicating. I might be totally wrong, they may be delightful and considerate people when travelling abroad, but that's my impression. It might be interesting in that sense to know what they voted regarding Brexit lmao

Tinabean

6am-6.10am: prepare the lines
6.10-6.20am: prepare the note
6.20am-6.25am: snort!!
6.25am-6.40am: green tea, review notes <3
8am: comedown
Omg I am howling w laughter - have always had a running joke w my pal that before ruby films she’s moving her 20 deck of Marlboro out of shot

• Haha

ECH

VIP Member
yeah, her 18/19 theology course is listed separately. But I looked it up and she would also have the option to do a work placement year (either in the UK or abroad), so maybe she’s doing that?
Or maybe she just miscalculated.
I was getting excited, thought we’d see her backpacking in Australia soon😅
I fully expect her to have calculated wrong - we know she misses attention to detail all the time.

CalatheaLater

Chatty Member
Didn't address her IG controversy, so I guess she's going to ignore it forever then.
She looked very exhausted in the video, which was filmed on Holocaust memorial day. I'm not conviced she was ill and think she was actually taking the backlash really badly. I don't think her admiting to her faults really fits in with her youtube cottagecore x dark academia aesthetic unfortunately

buflesse

Chatty Member
I am trying not to be negative and bitter, but for a grown woman who makes a LOT of money from her content I feel like Ruby really should be doing better videos. She's not an aspiring teen vlogger, she's a businesswoman with a huge global reach. She should have grown up by now!

• Heart

Confidant

Has anyone watched her sister Marfa’s videos? There’s one where she pretends to be Ruby for a day and Ruby features - far less ‘polished’ than on her own channel. Plus Marfa and Ruby couldn’t be more polar opposite it’s almost funny. How Marfa lives with Ruby I have no idea

missmina

VIP Member
I swear at this point she's only doing these videos to get praise for her amazing "acting" skills from her minions :LOL: She looked so proud of herself when play pretending being cold and wrapping herself in a blanket.

Other than that, slobbiness as always (their house and her personal hygiene always gross me out) and zero effort when it comes to research, accuracy and the background. Didn't she only refer to like one book? How on earth did she decide she's enough prepared to film this kind of video. It annoys me so much that there are so many actually talented youtubers who do their research and have an actual knowledge on the topic and put lots of care and attention to detail in their videos but don't have even a comparable amount of views as Ruby. She doesn't deserve it even though she believes she does.

Also I think she took some ideas for the video from this thread - very original Ruby 🙃 Oh and while you're reading it, your acting s u c k s, and also,care to elaborate on how you're gonna spend the Holocaust ad money maybe?😊

• Heart

wastelandbaby

What did irritate me about that (apart from all of it) was that there was very little context - as in, the Victorian period lasted for a very long time and saw massive social, political end economic change. You can’t just quote a figure for a wage, for example, without giving an indication of when that figure was from - early, mid or late Victorian?
Considering she wanted to teach her viewers about the the lives of servants she didn't actually say much?? There was so much variation in the lives of servants, some were treated as members of the family, others were abused and even murdered by their employers. They were often controlled so strictly, not being allowed to wear certain fabrics or have certain haircuts. There was so much more Ruby could have said here, I feel like she really did the minimum and this came across more as an opportunity to do a bit of acting rather than to educate.

Ilaariaa

VIP Member
I mean you are endorsing death and rape threats by saying 'she's richer than the Queen' as if that somehow negates the effects of abuse.
Whatever lmao as I said I really don't care about JKR, I think she's a pathetic cash-grabber desperately trying to stay relevant and make even more money off of her books. She can block people on Twitter or get off the Internet if people are mean to her. I'm sure she can find plenty of other things to do in one of her mansions.

Reactions: 18
People throw this phrase around a lot. As an academic, there is a difference between something being of publishable quality and ACTUALLY getting it published. There are so many hoops to jump through.
I think the idea is that your writing is of quality to be published, not that the essay you wrote is automatically ready to be published, but that it shows the potential for publication with some tweaks, probably. At least that's what I've been told. Getting published is HARD but getting a mark in the 80s is really amazing and I'd never put someone down for it, especially in humanities where its very difficult to achieve.

opal73

VIP Member
I also try not to judge people for what they wear, as long as they’re comfortable it shouldn’t matter. With Ruby though, it’s like she intentionally chooses mismatched clothes that make her look as young as possible. Also, if you have holes in clothes, they should be thrown away not kept because you’re obsessed with some ‘aesthetic’ or just too lazy to replace it. I wish she was at Exeter, I think when she’s around people her age she holds back a lot of her childish behaviours and ways of dressing than when she's at her family home. She is definitely struggling with her identity and I'm sure that's part of it.

• Heart

Appanappa

Chatty Member
I normally keep my business out of what people wear , whatever you like and you’re comfortable in, doesn’t bother me

but, christ, that is near enough the exact same outfit my two year old is wearing

• Haha

bublifuk

Does anyone else think she goes on about bullying A LOT for someone who I could definitely imagine being the nastiest person in a room? Like in everything she's ever written the main character, who is essentially her, is nasty to anyone with an IQ lower than Einstein's, ridicules people who are aware of their physical appearance, and shows off their privilege whilst claiming to be so oppressed. Ruby IRL does all those things and more and still claims to be the victim of bullying. I really think there's a chance she wasn't bullied at school but rather got treated poorly by her peers after she'd criticised them and ridiculed them for not being as Incredibly Smart And Clever And Perfect as Her Royal Rubyness. She definitely seems the type who could be bullied but only after bullying someone ya know? I think maybe her parents think so highly of her that if she was a bully they wouldn't have taken it seriously and would've helped make her the victim instead?
I can see Ruby being quite judgemental of others (though more so in her own head than saying it out loud), but I wouldn't say she'd be the nastiest person in a room or a bully. Bullying involves social power and she's too weird for that lol.

I could be wrong though ofc. She once said that she used to be a wild/rebellious child, does anyone remember that? I wonder what that was like.