Ruby Granger #45 "Um" -- Ruby Granger, 2023

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I do wonder what she is going to do content-wise after Oxford. I could see her doing a PhD to stay in academia longer even if she hates it but it will stop her going into the real world for a few years and it will be at least guaranteed content. She as flondering a bit content wise before Oxford but she is going to be struggling a bit now that she doesn't have her student persona. I know hart she can continue to do many 'writing,' videos but there is only so many times she could be doing a morning routine for a debut novel she apparently has. Even the videos that we made fun of her for such as a servants morning routine and Hermione videos were at least interesting and had more thought to them than her recycled routine videos she posts.

Reactions: 5
I suddenly remembered her Youtube career started with riveting videos like "How to act like Hermione on a plane"
Are those still available on her channel or has she scrubbed them in shame?

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I do wonder what she is going to do content-wise after Oxford. I could see her doing a PhD to stay in academia longer even if she hates it but it will stop her going into the real world for a few years and it will be at least guaranteed content.
It'll just be the same lazy copy-and-paste content she's been crapping out for years.

After graduation there'll likely be a messy 'REFLAKCHON' video where Ruby gets on her soapbox again to blame everyone/everything else for her not having the time of her life at Oxford. There'll be no specifics, it'll be lots of wild generalisation and "AS AYYY SOCIETEAAAA, WEEE TAND TYEUUU..." moaning about things that only Ruby does or thinks, waving her claw hand around, and vague yammering about the RESTRICTIVE, TOXIC AND ONNFAIR NAYCHA OF GRADES, the MISGOYDED DANGERS OF OIYDEALOIYSING MACADAYMIA and the IMPWORETANCE OF NWOT RYOMANTISOYZING AVVERYTHING ABOUT YEENIVARRSITEEEEEEAAAA.

There'll be an air of 'never meet your heroes' sour grapes that Oxford let her in, yet didn't immediately recognise all the natural talent and academic genius that her mummy assures her she VARRY MOCH POSSASSES, THANKYEUUVARRYMOCH. It definitely won't be her fault that she chose to pursue an academic path she had no genuine interest in and was woefully unequipped for, at a uni and only wanted to go to for the superficial trophy appeal.

She'll spin it like she was unfairly treated and harp on again that the educational system is TYEU RESTRICTIVE AND PONNISHES PEEPOL FWORE BEING TYEU ACKSAPSHONAL AND CREATIVE. This is especially likely if Ruby's grades are as bad as it seems. She'll assure everyone from her out-of-touch bubble that IT'S YOKAY TYEU NOT KNYOW WHAT YEU WANT TYEU DYEU NAXT! YEU CAN SIMPLY TAKE AYYY GAP YAHHH OR SAVVEN AND YORE BILLS WILL MAGICALLY PAY THAMSALVES!

Then she'll likely take another year off to "focus on her writing career". Zero progress will be made and no book deal will happen. There'll be a seemingly endless stream of crappy deja-vu vlogs and routine videos, each more sloppily-edited than the last. Every one will be sponsored by a product that Ruby does not use or understand. There'll be no insight or reflection into her writing aspirations or process because she has none beyond wanting a £1million book deal for copying other people's work and doing as little as possible. It'll just be more time-lapse footage of her staring morosely at screens trying to look busy followed by interludes wherein she twirls and grimaces around her yard, pretending to be a child.

She'll shoehorn reminders that she went to Oxford in wherever she can. Titles like 'Morning Routine of an Oxford University Graduate' and 'a day in the life of an Oxford Graduate writer || cosy & productive' will crop up over and over. They'll be the same assembly-line vlogs full of fake, embellished and suspiciously vague activities to make her days seem overwhelmingly busy (SHE'S JANUINELY NWOT JOSST AN ONEMPLOYED LAYABOUT, HOWDAEEERYEUUUUU) - lots of nebulous "WAHHRK"/"ADMIN WAHHHRK," non-existent meetings and HONDREDS OF BOCKS WILL JANUINELY BE RAD. PONKINPOD TIFTEAAAAA will reoccupy a big chunk of her fake schedule after forgetting all about it and that new disastrous scam planner that she never advertised after it launched. Occasionally there'll be a book recap/readathon video in which Ruby claims to have read a lot of books, but can only talk about the cover or a basic plot blurb of any of them.

Naturally, she'll go on at least a dozen holidays. In the vlogs that follow, she'll complain about the price of something inconsequential, like she's destitute and not trotting the globe every week or blowing £30,000 on degrees to try to boost her ego.

Then it's back to uni, no doubt for another undergrad degree (my money's on a redo of theology at AXATAR) to hit the reset button on adulthood again, lower the stakes and make sure she's challenged substantially less. Three more years of the exact same 'staring at screens looking despondent, then holding an undeclared gifted product up to camera' study vlogs will follow as her views slowly die off as she fades further into irrelevance.

If she gets onto a PhD course, it'll all be exactly the same, there'll just be less content and she'll look even more miserable.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
I'm gonna be speechless if she actually ends up doing a PhD. She doesn't seem to be enjoying her Master's at all so it would be a true shock.

Reactions: 23
Honestly, it would be so demeaning for her to end up doing another undergraduate anywhere, if she gets her Masters at Oxford. She didn't take well to Exeter and she was the right age for undergraduate studies. Regardless, she was miserable. If she thinks that was bad, going back to undergraduate at her age will put her at even more of a disadvantage in making friends. Everyone, including professors, will wonder why she is back there after Oxford and heading backwards instead of forwards. She also won't have the comfort of her favourite person, Blakeney. It would be a disaster.

Going back home and twirling in the fields, doing absolutely nothing with her degree, would again, be complete a complete fail, even if it were for a year. Her life is so aimless and stagnant.

If she plans to continue in education, I wonder if she would try for another Masters, in Theology. Then she would actually have to get back into Oxford or would she try somewhere else if she didn't? Or a Doctorate in something she never plans to use? Wouldn't it all depend on how her thesis goes and her grades? We have been left in the dark. Either she is barely passing or struggling considerably. Or both. I can't imagine her moving out since I don't believe she ever did learn to drive. Honestly, I can't understand how behind she is on everything in life. When she is no longer producing academic content and can no longer refer to herself as a student somewhere, she is going to fall apart. She depends too highly on that identity and her YT channel. I wonder what she would be doing in life if social media didn't even exist?

Reactions: 13
I just don’t get why she can’t just try and enjoy Oxford, she wanted it for so long :( Surely it can’t be THAT much of a disappointment?

Reactions: 15
I just don’t get why she can’t just try and enjoy Oxford, she wanted it for so long :( Surely it can’t be THAT much of a disappointment?
She didn't really want it though, she's just always wanted to be able to say that the "best" school accepted her and to be able to brag about it online.

The problem is that she has no real interest in academia, no desire to engage with the learning process and she isn't intellectually equipped to do well at this level, especially since she can't use all her usual academic shortcuts and skate by copying other people's homework.

She wants people to think she's a gifted child genius, but every day's there's a new reminder that she's not special and is surrounded by people naturally smarter and more talented in every way. She's so busy struggling to tread water that she's had practically no opportunity to make content to remind everyone that she's an AWKSWFUD STYEEDUNT or to pretend she's living her dark academia fantasies. That was the only reason she wanted to go and she can't even exploit it for views, so it's no wonder she's miserable.

Reactions: 16
It's been her dream since she was TWALVE so she's definitely has some fantasies of "Ruby @ Oxford" of everyone being gobsmacked by her absolute intelligence. Clearly didn't happen.

Reactions: 8
Although she seems to regress at home, I think that going back home after her Master's and getting a job (well, going back to the job she was doing at her old school before) is better than doing another degree. She seemed a lot happier during her gap year when she was doing that.

Reactions: 8
I think she needs to go back home after Oxford, get some proper therapy, and find a job at a friendly place that isn't cut-throat, maybe then she will find herself a way out. I think she should aim to find a housemate like Blakeney and live in London for a bit once she's ready. I think she needs someone to encourage her to go out and about and then she could pivot her Instagram and Youtube to being a 20-something exploring London for art, music, literature etc. She can't live in her bedroom forever.

Reactions: 12
She wanted to do her undergrad at Oxford, doing a masters was second best. The two experiences are completely different imo

Love how she’s being all mysterious suggesting she has something planned for after summer. Also ‘still deciding’ - waiting to hear back re the PhD or already rejected and scrambling to find something to do?
IMG_5815.jpeg
IMG_5816.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Love how she’s being all mysterious suggesting she has something planned for after summer. Also ‘still deciding’ - waiting to hear back re the PhD or already rejected and scrambling to find something to do?
View attachment 2956429View attachment 2956430
Next it'll be: "I have a traditional job as a gardener! I'm very excited as OFFCWOARSE I love nature!"

Cut to Ruby getting paid £1 for blasting a few weeds with a hose in the family garden for 5 minutes, which she'll magically stretch to a 7 hour task in vlogs. Her dad will somehow write this off on their taxes for a £700 rebate.

• Haha
I could see her doing something like National Trust/English Heritage tours, a rote script and a faux sense of knowledgeability to ✨dazzle✨ (bore) strangers with.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I could see her doing something like National Trust/English Heritage tours, a rote script and a faux sense of knowledgeability to ✨dazzle✨ (bore) strangers with.
she better get her iPad ready

• Haha
Reactions: 11
she better get her iPad ready
"And syo...(smacks lips)...umm...HYEEH WE ARE at...umm...(waves claw hand around)...wal OFFCWOARSE we're here in...umm...AND AS OIY SAY...ummm...josst beeeyoootifol, ASCKSQUITE scenery... (smacks lips) ummm... soch a TANGIBLE PLACE...ummm... as you can see...umm...and yeu can josst picture yoresalf dyoing...umm...the things that... umm...people in...(waves claw hand around)...umm... history would've done... (smacks lips) ...WILLIAM WAAAHRDSWAAAARTH WONCE WRYOTE..."

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
I dont think she is actually confident enough to adress bunch of strangers in real life.

Reactions: 6
I dont think she is actually confident enough to adress bunch of strangers in real life.
Ruby addressed the audience at the Oxford Union as well as various other events. I don't think public speaking is something she avoids, so not sure why it would be different here?

Reactions: 1
Ruby addressed the audience at the Oxford Union as well as various other events. I don't think public speaking is something she avoids, so not sure why it would be different here?
I dont know why exactly but i dont think its the same experience

Reactions: 3
I think she needs to go back home after Oxford, get some proper therapy, and find a job at a friendly place that isn't cut-throat, maybe then she will find herself a way out. I think she should aim to find a housemate like Blakeney and live in London for a bit once she's ready. I think she needs someone to encourage her to go out and about and then she could pivot her Instagram and Youtube to being a 20-something exploring London for art, music, literature etc. She can't live in her bedroom forever.
I could see her doing an entry-level admin job at a uni or something like an archivist or volunteer librarian. She needs a job where she can feel comfortable (ie minimal interaction with people) and ease into adulthood. I doubt she'd enjoy a corporate job and she doesn't seem to have the organisational skills and creativity for a art/design job, or even a permanent position as a writer. Though I suspect she's the type to think she's "too talented" for basic jobs and therefore refuse to develop crucial work experience (and tbf many would be the same in her privileged position)
---
I dont know why exactly but i dont think its the same experience
Yup, being a tour guide/tour leader requires regular, sustained interaction with (gasp) the general public, something Ruby hasn't shown a lot of talent for. It'll develop her confidence and museum visitors tend to be a polite bunch (...mostly) so it's not as 'deep end' as working in a bar/cafe, but it's still way out of her current comfort zone. Plus, I highly doubt she'd make stuff up about the locations and artifacts or confuse the guests with ✨impromptu poetry ✨... which wouldn't go down well...

Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.