Ruby Granger #45 "Um" -- Ruby Granger, 2023

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A new video is out šŸ™Œ I'm diving in, the introductory music is mismatched to the scene (eating breakfast outside in the spring...)

Reactions: 1
ā€˜Bucolicā€™ light in city paintings got me in this Paris video. That doesnā€™t make sense! (Not that everything else she says is perfect)

I donā€™t expect everyone to know every word. And thereā€™s loads I get wrong. But Iā€™m not putting it out in public But an English masters student should know better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
omg Her latest vlog.

1. She starts out with very foreboding music. OMG! Spring flowers and eating breakfast outside! The horror of it all!
2. Flowers, pretty. Her voice and claw, awful. It went downhill from there.
3. Bizarre grin of delight about putting stickers on her ugly planner. Oxford Masters student? About to turn 24? Now that is something scary.
4. Apparently never occurred to her to actually decorate the front of her dull planners with artwork or a design before sending it to the printers.
5. Dresses up like Marion the Librarian, pulling her hair severely back, for her ultimate academic look. Also, the serious look on her face. Playing.
6. "Buttered toast is one of the best food on the planet." Okay. Take all the rest of the food away from you. Let's see how your health survives.
7. Watching her eat like a 2 year old is really getting on my nerves. No one is interested in seeing you bite and chew your food, moron.
8. ANOTHER VPN ad. Woman. Get on with your life.
9. She got the "best seat on the bus, mind you!" Excuse me? Validating our entitlement? Why would anyone even say something like this?
10. She seems to take great pleasure in vlogging closeups of her ugly face. What is her deal? Nothing there worth seeing.
11. Adman stuff. Lots and lots of adman stuff to do. lol Forget the thesis. Adman is more important.
12. Did she just call Silas Marner "Silas Mariner"? omg Oxford Masters student. I can't.
13. Has never read anything by George Eliot and is a graduate in English Lit and loves the Victorian Age? wtf? She really does live under a rock.
14. Cannot speak without flaying about her arms and hands.
15. Is in awe over Post It Notes. Um. Sure.
16. Why is her dorm wall so filthy? What has she done now??

Ruby. Grow up. Get a life. Behave like an adult. Learn how to read, how to pronounce, how to live life outside social media. Learn to drive. Get a job. Gain independence. Do something worthwhile for others instead of being so self absorbed. Learn to eat without filming it. Learn to shop in a bookstore without filming it. Put away your ootd, your phone, your camera. Embrace the very short time you have left at Oxford and build yourself a life worth living. Stop playing at being a child or naive. It isn't cute. It isn't charming. It isn't normal behavior. And it is getting old and disturbing.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 22
11. Adman stuff. Lots and lots of adman stuff to do. lol Forget the thesis. Adman is more important.
I noticed that she spent more time doing admin work than working on her dissertation and even when she did go the library to supposedly study for her dissertation it felt like she hardly did any work before she left to go to the book fair where she decided to spend most of the day afternoon there. It's so obvious that she isn't interesting in studying because if she was she would have spent more time in the library working on her dissertation rather than spending as little time as possible in there before heading off to the book fair. Edit she has just replied to someone's comment and said that she is hoping to upload regularly this term yet she said this last term and we all know how that panned out as she hardly uploaded.
---
OMG I have just seen the wall what on earth has she done. To me it looks like she has been using ink, got it on her fingers, didn't notice and ended up touching the wall and getting the wet ink all over it.
1714325145839.png

---
I noticed that she spent more time doing admin work than working on her dissertation and even when she did go the library to supposedly study for her dissertation it felt like she hardly did any work before she left to go to the book fair where she decided to spend most of the day afternoon there. It's so obvious that she isn't interesting in studying because if she was she would have spent more time in the library working on her dissertation rather than spending as little time as possible in there before heading off to the book fair. Edit she has just replied to someone's comment and said that she is hoping to upload regularly this term yet she said this last term and we all know how that panned out as she hardly uploaded.
---

OMG I have just seen the wall what on earth has she done. To me it looks like she has been using ink, got it on her fingers, didn't notice and ended up touching the wall and getting the wet ink all over it. That wall well need repainting as I can't imagine the next person to have that room will be very happy as to have an ink stained wall.
1714325145839.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
omg Her latest vlog.

1. She starts out with very foreboding music. OMG! Spring flowers and eating breakfast outside! The horror of it all!
2. Flowers, pretty. Her voice and claw, awful. It went downhill from there.
3. Bizarre grin of delight about putting stickers on her ugly planner. Oxford Masters student? About to turn 24? Now that is something scary.
4. Apparently never occurred to her to actually decorate the front of her dull planners with artwork or a design before sending it to the printers.
5. Dresses up like Marion the Librarian, pulling her hair severely back, for her ultimate academic look. Also, the serious look on her face. Playing.
6. "Buttered toast is one of the best food on the planet." Okay. Take all the rest of the food away from you. Let's see how your health survives.
7. Watching her eat like a 2 year old is really getting on my nerves. No one is interested in seeing you bite and chew your food, moron.
8. ANOTHER VPN ad. Woman. Get on with your life.
9. She got the "best seat on the bus, mind you!" Excuse me? Validating our entitlement? Why would anyone even say something like this?
10. She seems to take great pleasure in vlogging closeups of her ugly face. What is her deal? Nothing there worth seeing.
12. Did she just call Silas Marner "Silas Mariner"? omg Oxford Masters student. I can't.
13. Has never read anything by George Eliot and is a graduate in English Lit and loves the Victorian Age? wtf? She really does live under a rock.
14. Cannot speak without flaying about her arms and hands.
15. Is in awe over Post It Notes. Um. Sure.

Ruby. Grow up. Get a life. Behave like an adult. Learn how to read, how to pronounce, how to live life outside social media. Learn to drive. Get a job. Gain independence. Do something worthwhile for others instead of being so self absorbed. Learn to eat without filming it. Learn to shop in a bookstore without filming it. Put away your ootd, your phone, your camera. Embrace the very short time you have left at Oxford and build yourself a life worth living. Stop playing at being a child or naive. It isn't cute. It isn't charming. It isn't normal behavior. And it is getting old and disturbing.
A lot of this could be a far more fair criticism if this wasn't her job? Like of course she's doing the Nord VPN sponsorship, she's a vlogger trying to pay her bills. And it wouldn't work if people didn't watch, so...

Of course the seat at the front on the top is the best seat. Seats like that are great. My dad is thrilled to get a front seat on the DLR when he visits.

Rest of it though, yeah you're probably right.

I do wish she would wise up a bit about VPNs though, it's painful how she doesn't understand it. You can also guarantee that she isn't using it all the time, as there are a number of university resources that are only available via eduroam network, so if you're appearing external through your VPN, you can't view them. It's also not a security measure, outside of masking what your traffic is from your ISP (so the university in her case).

Funny that tiktok antiquarian book guy showed up. I think someone mentioned him a while a go as a good example of someone who loves and appreciates old books.

Not sure why she was surprised at that pelican paperback edition of poems being a Ā£5. Just because something is "first edition" and "old" doesn't make it valuable. I owned a first edition copy of The Brain Of Morbius once (terrifying(ly hilarious) cover, look it up) and I got it for a couple quid on eBay. It looks like it may be foxed or something also, as it was terribly discoloured. So, it's probably not worth the fiver she paid for it. I don't know, there's a bookshop near where I grew up that's like a labyrinth (it looks deceptively small) and they have crates of old penguins and pelicans, really not worth too much.

Reactions: 12
OMG I have just seen the wall what on earth has she done. To me it looks like she has been using ink, got it on her fingers, somehow didn't notice and ended up touching the wall and getting the wet ink all over it. That wall will also need repainting as I can't imagine the next person to have that room will be very happy to have an ink stained wall. If it isn't ink on her wall then how on earth has she managed to get it in the state that it is.
1714325145839.png

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 13
OMG I have just seen the wall what on earth has she done. To me it looks like she has been using ink, got it on her fingers, somehow didn't notice and ended up touching the wall and getting the wet ink all over it. That wall will also need repainting as I can't imagine the next person to have that room will be very happy to have an ink stained wall. If it isn't ink on her wall then how on earth has she managed to get it in the state that it is.
1714325145839.png
Usually it looks like this when you frequently brush against the wall with a backpack or something. My dad was always paranoid about by brother and I standing close to the wall in our entry way because of this lol.

Reactions: 8
When she's talking about the books she got recently her voice is totally different. It actually sounds natural and not pitched and strained. She should be talking like this and not try to sound childish.

Reactions: 7
So, I haven't posted on here for ages and to be honest I haven't watched Ruby for a while either but this afternoon, she came up on my feed and I watched one of her vlogs from Oxford. She looks so so sad, overwhelmed and in way out of her depth. Oxford has always been a double-edged sword. My cousin did his undergrad there and barely survived. The constant pressure, the feeling that you HAVE to do well otherwise its all just a waste and what are you even for if you can't survive there nearly broke him. I asked him once if he would go back to do his Masters and his reply was that he valued his life above a piece of paper. Ruby looks like she is white-knuckling her way through this course. I also think the books she reads to make her feel well read don't actually add any value to her bank of knowledge. I can't think of anything worse than Sartre if I'm feeling low or any of the high-brow stuff she reads.

The way she speaks has changed so much too. The overly poetic but metaphorically weak descriptions of things is so vague and mealy-mouthed. I mean, I'm much more of a fan of literature that draws blood and demands the readers attention and action like Plath or Du Maurier. But like everything else in Ruby's life, all the fire, passion and sheer chaotic wonder of the world is boiled out like white rice and unseasoned chicken. I worry for her because she's trapped herself in this gilded tower of Oxford with no escape route. She can't leave because she doesn't want to fail but I think if she stays, she's going to really suffer for it. She seems so isolated, so alone and utterly incapable of admitting that the dream was a fantasy and that its all a horrible mistake. To be so young and so crippled like that is a tragedy. I know she's privileged, I know she's slightly ridiculous, I know she's travelled when she's meant to be doing important stuff but still, Ruby needs help. I honestly believe that and I pray that one day she works out that life is short and doesn't care about a piece of paper with a seal on it to prove your worth.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I also think the books she reads to make her feel well read don't actually add any value to her bank of knowledge. I can't think of anything worse than Sartre if I'm feeling low or any of the high-brow stuff she reads.
100% this.

I know Sartre fits with the French theme, but thinking about reading Nausea in a hotel room, alone, in the middle of an unfamiliar city makes me feel totally depressed. Everyone's different though. šŸ˜…

Reactions: 18
I was a bit taken aback by the post-it charade to organise her chapters. Surely, by this stage in her writing career she uses some writer's software like Scrivener to do this stuff?

Reactions: 9
I think we, in the UK, view heritages differently than the US. For example, so many Americans refer to themselves as Irish, as their great grandparents were immigrants who left Ireland for the US but to the rest of the world we would just say theyā€™re American, not Irish, they just have Irish heritage.
That's not common in the US. There are some silly people that claim they're Italian or something silly like that without having any actual family members that they know from Italy, but most of the general population of the US rolls their eyes at people like that. The US is considered diverse because we have a lot of subcultures that are right next to each other. For example, china town in NYC is a little town with a ton of chinese people and thriving culture and little Italy is not far from china town and has a concentrated Italian population. Many immigrants tend to immigrate to regions where they already have family, so we end up having these towns scattered about with entirely different cultures, and it is super common to meet someone from a different continent if you don't live in the middle of no where. I have two co workers from china, one from India, and one from the UK, and I work for a Swedish company in the US that has head quarters in the US.
---
I still think the trip to Paris was hastily arranged because for someone who claims that she is organised and plans things out everything she did still felt very rushed. I mean she seemed to spend more time in coffee shops and bookshops rather than deciding to visit famous Paris landmarks and when she did visit them i.e. the Louvre she didn't get to see all the paintings that she wanted to.
It was probably partially gifted
---
I was a bit taken aback by the post-it charade to organise her chapters. Surely, by this stage in her writing career she uses some writer's software like Scrivener to do this stuff?
Eh. Some people prefer to completely handwrite their novels and then type it up into word. I'm not surprised that Ruby doesn't use Scrivener. Scrivener can have a little bit of a learning curve to make the most use out of it, and Ruby has never struck me as technologically adept
---
A lot of this could be a far more fair criticism if this wasn't her job? Like of course she's doing the Nord VPN sponsorship, she's a vlogger trying to pay her bills. And it wouldn't work if people didn't watch, so...
Some youtubers only accept sponsorships from companies whose products they use and whose ethics they value. Ruby seems to accept sponsorships from whoever offers. There is a such thing as an ethical influencer, and Ruby definitely leans toward the opposite end of the spectrum

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
I felt like she had mentioned using Scrivener before, and I was right - she claimed in 2020 sheā€™d been using it for a year and a half. She mentions Pinterest as her inspiration for bleeping around with the post-its, so once again, sheā€™s not writing so much as sheā€™s wasting her time on performative busywork for the sake of an ASSTHATIK.

(Of course this 2020 post was sponsored by Scrivener, so it may just as easily have been her first and only time using itā€¦)

IMG_2851.jpeg

Reactions: 13
IMG_2264.jpeg

Damn. For such an ā€œaesthetic girlieā€ she really does have neglected handsā€¦

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 29
I think she uses the royal 'we' a lot :unsure:
I think she came across as quite happy in some parts of the video ? A relief from being away from the pressures of Oxford maybe
She was using 'we' because, despite her claims, she wasn't there alone. You know this because the camera was moving moves on its own while she was busy eating pizza with a knife and fork like a psychopath.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
Some youtubers only accept sponsorships from companies whose products they use and whose ethics they value. Ruby seems to accept sponsorships from whoever offers. There is a such thing as an ethical influencer, and Ruby definitely leans toward the opposite end of the spectrum
Ruby seems to take sponsorships that loosely fit her brand. For instance, we've never seen her tout anything like FĆ¼m, Raid Shadow Legends (though they offer to everyone and their dog), airup, or Lovehoney (or similar). Someone is doing some filtering here (probably her management). I say loosely, as I NordVPN is hardly relevant, but it can be worked in.

Her NordVPN sponsorship isn't unethical. She clearly doesn't understand VPNs, she's promoting a service, meh whatever. Getting paid to promote some service isn't necessarily unethical: otherwise every ad supported service and website would be unethical.

If she's done Betterhelp sponsorships recently, those are certainly hideously unethical though. Betterhelp is STILL selling confidential medical data. They're still shady AF. I may be confusing her with Unjaded Jade though on this one, as I believe she did a Betterhelp ad read recently enough.

Her other problem is the shady disclosure, which has been a constant point of criticism both here and in her comments. I think she's gotten a bit better, at least with sponsors, but gifted stuff is still often overlooked.

Reactions: 10
Lexiconruby (sic)

cald
lattars
prat
addrass
bas stop
objacts
collacting
pracious
tasting
tan
tarm
centanary
collact
assays
wood cats

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
She was using 'we' because, despite her claims, she wasn't there alone. You know this because the camera was moving moves on its own while she was busy eating pizza with a knife and fork like a psychopath.
You mean her phone/camera slipping on whatever she's placed it on?

I don't know. It seems completely bizarre that someone would go to these lengths to hide they were on holiday with someone else. It just seems like such an odd and inexplicable thing to do, I don't see why anyone would. Thinking about the lengths she would have to be going to in order to hide it makes me think you're the one with the screw loose here.

Reactions: 5