Ruby Granger #44 To be or not to be pretentious, that is the subjective question.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Adding “working on my debut novel” to her bio is such a lie/ick. Also time for a new thread, it’s not a surprise that it’s felt slow as she hasn’t uploaded in SO long!

Reactions: 18
Adding “working on my debut novel” to her bio is such a lie/ick.
I don't believe she is working on a new novel at this moment in time given the fact that she is in the middle of a masters degree as she wouldn't be able to find the time to combine both as a masters degree is very intense and requires a lot of studying.

Reactions: 9
I think this is the most-liked thread title suggestion @Binx. 😂

''Um'' - - Ruby Granger, 2023

It was one of the comments on her Oxford Union video. Great title, but I'm sad that ''it was heavier than cats I had known'' won't make it into the next thread. Who doesn't love Roobs' creative writing?

1711545463136.png

• Haha
Reactions: 32
Adding “working on my debut novel” to her bio is such a lie/ick. Also time for a new thread, it’s not a surprise that it’s felt slow as she hasn’t uploaded in SO long!
i really really hope the change doesn't mean she has been picked up by a publisher and just cant announce it yet. as an aspiring writer i just might genuinely cry.

• Heart
i really really hope the change doesn't mean she has been picked up by a publisher and just cant announce it yet. as an aspiring writer i just might genuinely cry.
Well, she was working on a novel the week before she went to Oxford back in September and although she did email it to her agent, I presume it got rejected by all the publishers that her agent sent it to as Ruby never mentioned this book again. Therefore I don't know how she can claim that working on her debut when she has already published one (Erimentha Parker's To Do List) and Lottie Parton which was on submission to publishers yet never got published as I presume no one wanted to publish it. So, despite trying to convince people that she is working on her debut novel it will actually be her fifth or sixth book that she is working on and here is the video where she is working on her book the week before she went to Oxford in September.

Reactions: 7
I don't believe she is working on a new novel at this moment in time given the fact that she is in the middle of a masters degree as she wouldn't be able to find the time to combine both as a masters degree is very intense and requires a lot of studying.
"Working in a new novel" is similar to stating "It's complicated" on Facebook. Saves the hassle of explaining that nothing's going on. Good on you, Rub'!

• Haha
Reactions: 12
THERE'S A NEW VIDEO! THIS IS NOT A DRILL lololo

Edit: and yes, it's sponsored

I've fallen down a folk horror rabbit hole since listening to a talk on "Folklore in Film and TV" by the Folklore Society last night. This is going to be such an extreme switch for my poor wee brain, but I have to watch Ruby's video now. From The Wicker Man and Midsommar straight to Ruby's childish dark academia fantasies lol. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Oxford has lit the okra lamps again, it feels like vegetable abuse at this point.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I haven't been keeping up with Ruby lately, but I did binge read this thread and watched a couple of videos and now I have a question: When did Ruby start drinking coffee? I swear she used to hate it and only drank tea, but I might be confusing her with Holly Gabrielle or Grackle — the childish British youtubers sometimes merge in my head.

• Haha
I'm sorry but throughout this video it was so noticeable to see just how unhappy she was as she looked lost and uncomfortable especially when she was at the Bodleian library because even though she has been in several times before she looked very nervous and stressed out and was also visibly shaking. One thing is for sure it is very obvious in this video that she is struggling massively as she looked really tired and down and didn't seem to be as engaged in the content as she was previously and it looks like she is struggling massively with the workload as she looked very stressed out and appeared to be on the verge of tears.

Tbh I don't think we are going to get many videos between now and the day that she finishes her degree as it came across to me that she has had lost her enthusiasm for creating content and seems rather bored by it all as I don't think she even wanted to film this video. Plus it came across to me that she has mentally checked out as she has massively lost her focus as she had to keep going to different places to study, her enthusiasm for the course has massively declined as she didn't speak about what essays she was working on and what modules they were for and she was totally uninterested in studying as she looked utterly fed up by it all.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
At the end of the video where she is signing off from her bedroom, her hair looks ROUGH. Even more receded than usual but you can see a few faint wispy clumps where it’s falling out right at the front and on our right (her left). I always thought the receding hairline comments were a bit of a reach and maybe she just naturally had a five-head but there’s not denying it this time.

Reactions: 4
I haven't been keeping up with Ruby lately, but I did binge read this thread and watched a couple of videos and now I have a question: When did Ruby start drinking coffee? I swear she used to hate it and only drank tea, but I might be confusing her with Holly Gabrielle or Grackle — the childish British youtubers sometimes merge in my head.
She used to talk about hating coffee, but that suddenly changed massively right around the time someone alerted her to the existence of Gilmore Girls - specifically Rory Gilmore. She watched one episode and her main takeaway was 'gifted student bookworms drink coffee and spend all their time with mummy' and then started trying to assimilate coffee into her Frankensteined-together fake personality. She didn't watch any more of the show.

She'll do anything possible to try to reinforce the idea that she's exceedingly gifted, busy, productive and successful, and along with the Rory factor, she's likely seen tonnes of productive girlboss influencer types with a coffee perpetually in hand, plus a Pret subscription seems to be part of the Oxford student started pack, so she thought she needed to emulate it.

She clearly still dislikes coffee and there's almost always tell-tale hard cuts right after taking a sip of coffee, just before she needs to swallow it. And sometimes she doesn't do that and you can see her gag when trying to choke it down:

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Not a lot of new info in her latest video. Certainly no surprises.

1. Sponsored.
2. Spends the majority of the video whining that she doesn't feel like filming.
3. Spends a large part of the video trying to convince us it is okay to not feel like filming. Good God, girl. Then don't film! I won't miss you!
4. Rips her hair out again with the aggressive way she brushes her hair.
5. Her headspace is somewhere else. Yeah, we have known that for a long time.
6. Randomly pops from Oxford to home to Oxford to home. Beam me up, Scotty!
7. Looks miserable. Literally looks like she is about to cry. Guess her dream of Oxford failed.
8. Dresses horribly and looks very ragged.
9. Whispers through half the video, even though she is often in her own room. Unless it is 3am, I don't think she has to worry.
10. Says she hopes she will be inspired to create vlogs in between semesters. So, basically back to twirling in fields, as she has nothing else to show.
11. Filmed this weeks ago and just putting it up now. She is obviously tremendously overwhelmed with Oxford and their expectations, work load and basic life stuff. She is frazzled and coming apart at the seams. Very boring, very empty and really not much a vlog. Also very poorly edited with a late hello and sudden ending, like she couldn't wait to end it.

If you don't watch it, you won't miss anything important. Nothing about her break. Wasn't she supposed to go to France or somewhere? Nothing about her family, her Bayst Frend, nothing with anyone else. Even mentioned she prefers the libraries when they are empty. Gee....sorry other students actually have to use the library too. Real students, who plan to use their degrees for actual careers. Unlike you, Rubbish, who is doing it for absolutely no reason at all. Even the idea of Dark Macademia content failed her.

Reactions: 16
Ruby is obviously quite unhappy. What is annoying to me is that she will probably never admit that she was out of her league at Oxford, that it was super challenging and that she probably didn't go in with enough knowledge, method or grit. It's ok to admit that you are out of your depth, that you are surrounded by people who are more knowledgable in that field than you. It happens. I can see her saying in a couple of videos that it was tough because her mental health was bad and that is why she didn't get the results that she wanted, whereas most likely it is the opposite. Not understanding things, not being top of the class, having to push yourself, having to put the effort in, that is what pushes you to a mental edge. Not being good enough is what is making Ruby upset but it's too difficult to admit that.
---
Watching her video, I'm pretty sure that she has been rotting in her room most of the time that we have not seen her film. If she was super productive she would not have missed an opportunity to show us. There was also a moment when she said "I try to go out of my room at least every other day" - and knowing her that is an exageration so probably means that she goes out to do something useful like get a coffee or food but not to have a mindfull relaxing walk.

• Wow
Reactions: 20
11. Filmed this weeks ago and just putting it up now. She is obviously tremendously overwhelmed with Oxford and their expectations, work load and basic life stuff. She is frazzled and coming apart at the seams. Very boring, very empty and really not much a vlog. Also very poorly edited with a late hello and sudden ending, like she couldn't wait to end it.
I agree with this comment @Whisper2Me as it came across to me that she has lost her enthusiasm for creating content and seems rather bored by it all as she was very disengaged and unhappy throughout the whole video in fact when she was at the Bodleian library it was noticeable that even though she has been in several times before she was very nervous and was visibly shaking. Also compared to her other vlogs it just felt very flat and despite filming it 10 days ago it came across as if it was very rushed and that it was filmed a few days ago and not 10 days ago like she claims.

Reactions: 4
She used to talk about hating coffee, but that suddenly changed massively right around the time someone alerted her to the existence of Gilmore Girls - specifically Rory Gilmore. She watched one episode and her main takeaway was 'gifted student bookworms drink coffee and spend all their time with mummy' and then started trying to assimilate coffee into her Frankensteined-together fake personality. She didn't watch any more of the show.

She'll do anything possible to try to reinforce the idea that she's exceedingly gifted, busy, productive and successful, and along with the Rory factor, she's likely seen tonnes of productive girlboss influencer types with a coffee perpetually in hand, plus a Pret subscription seems to be part of the Oxford student started pack, so she thought she needed to emulate it.

She clearly still dislikes coffee and there's almost always tell-tale hard cuts right after taking a sip of coffee, just before she needs to swallow it. And sometimes she doesn't do that and you can see her gag when trying to choke it down:

It doesn't help she only seems to drink coffee from chains rather than all the lovely independent places in Oxford. Pret coffee is disgusting :ROFLMAO:
---
I'm a coffee drinker and I find it rank

Reactions: 10
Watching her video, I'm pretty sure that she has been rotting in her room most of the time that we have not seen her film. If she was super productive she would not have missed an opportunity to show us. There was also a moment when she said "I try to go out of my room at least every other day" - and knowing her that is an exageration so probably means that she goes out to do something useful like get a coffee or food but not to have a mindfull relaxing walk.
Either that or she went back home which IMO is one of the reasons why she hasn't been filming anything because she doesn't want people seeing that she has been spending more time at home than at Oxford, but IMO I still believe that there is another reason as to why she hasn't been filming anything for the past month.

Reactions: 2
I think she might have applied for a PhD at Oxford and got rejected. It’s about the time when offers are coming out and would explain why she “needed a social media break. That being said Oxford terms are tough so I absolutely don’t blame her for being burnt out and miserable.

Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.