Ruby Granger #4 Please sir, may I have some more (priviledge, playtime, and fake productivity)?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone remember when she did that Q&A on Insta a couple of weeks ago and someone asked her if she could only ever read OR write for the rest of her life, which would she choose...?

And she chose "write", which strikes me as kind of narcissistic. She'd rather spend her life writing her own drivel than expand her horizons and let some new thoughts in. Are her ideas so important that she'd give up reading in order to grace the world with more self-insert novels about her high school experiences?

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Sorry I’m actually weeping over the idea that anyone could have supported the Lib Dems enough to have a bleeping pin 4 years ago. I’m shocked Nick Clegg managed to inspire that level of confidence in anyone by that stage of his leadership, and Tim Farron was a bleeping homophobe. It’s not like Labour were in an amazing place, but Christ the Lib Dems. She can’t possibly support them now can she? They never recovered post-coalition, they're an absolute mess.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Am I right in remembering that in that video she also complained about cooking smells in a studio? I did kind of smile at the fact that this hadn’t occurred to her beforehand - but I suppose if you’ve spent your life in a big house it would never occur to you that cooking makes smells and if your clothes and bed are near to it, they’ll smell too.
I'm surprised her food has smell considering how bland her meals look. There are so many flavorful ways to eat plant-based. Also, if she were ever to live with non-white apartment mates or literally anyone who enjoys flavor she's done for.

• Heart
It does sort of irritate me how the majority of her followers appear far younger than her and are very naïve, or people from a lot of non English speaking countries in the middle east. It does make it seem like she's taking advantage in a way.They are endlessly praising her about how productive and perfect she is. She really isn’t that unique or special either, were it not for her channel and following she would just be another English girl grown up in the country born with a silver spoon in her mouth who was the teachers pet at her private school.
Does anyone remember when she did that Q&A on Insta a couple of weeks ago and someone asked her if she could only ever read OR write for the rest of her life, which would she choose...?

And she chose "write", which strikes me as kind of narcissistic. She'd rather spend her life writing her own drivel than expand her horizons and let some new thoughts in. Are her ideas so important that she'd give up reading in order to grace the world with more self-insert novels about her high school experiences?
That is pretty cringy. She has certainly got a whole lot to learn. I really hope she eventually moves past reminiscing her school experiences or fantasising about being back in year 7.

• Heart
I'm surprised her food has smell considering how bland her meals look. There are so many flavorful ways to eat plant-based. Also, if she were ever to live with non-white apartment mates or literally anyone who enjoys flavor she's done for.
Evidently Ruby is too British to enjoy non-bland food lmao
(I don't want to offend anyone, I've had amazing food in Britain, but you guys are kinda known for eating bland food haha)

• Haha
Reactions: 12
She's been extremely quiet on social media since yesterday's post. I can't even think about how she'll come back from it, she's had the most amount of backlash ever

Reactions: 17
The "memorial" idea was so obviously random that it was almost hilarious. She panicked and said the first thing that came to her mind. From a list with 100 ways to commemorate such a massive, tragic event in world history and to raise awareness of schoolkids, a freaking "memorial" would be like 102nd (unless you have actual historical evidence of people from that place being somehow involved in the Holocaust, which was not what she meant).

Reactions: 18
View attachment 408633

View attachment 408635

And yes yes yes to the poster above on the damage the the parents are fostering in the sibling rivalry. If Ruby and Martha's home life is any reflection on what's in the book, it explains a lot.
Thanks! Maxine's behaviour also seems a bit odd - surely if she were that concerned about the email she'd sent it to her Head of Year and not Erimentha's, and just let them deal with it? But surely the school should have expected this if they give everyone the same password, then again surely the idea was that people would use that password the first time to get onto the school system then set their own, that's would happened in my school. I expect stupid pranks like this happen in all schools though, at some stage of development nothing seems funnier than taking advantage of something not logging off on a school computer or just guessing their password. Goodness that was a lot of stuff I've just written that probably makes no sense, I fear I'm overthinking this book...

Big yes to this! I seem to remember someone mentioning this in the comments and her reply was along the lines of, "yes of course it's a privilege to be able to afford a studio, I'm very lucky, but I didn't mention that because people will already know what their budget is".
Because no naive school-age fans will see her video before being confronted with the reality of a budget and their grim shared bathroom and kitchen.

Reactions: 6
It does sort of irritate me how the majority of her followers appear far younger than her and are very naïve, or people from a lot of non English speaking countries in the middle east. It does make it seem like she's taking advantage in a way.They are endlessly praising her about how productive and perfect she is.
This is true for much of studytube, but especially Ruby's and Holly's channels. Lots of middle and high school aged students from outside Europe and North America who buy into the productivity culture, and think Ruby and Holly are examples to look up to, while both of them overwork themselves mentally and physically. I'd be very interested in seeing what their viewership percentages look like.

Reactions: 16
She's been extremely quiet on social media since yesterday's post. I can't even think about how she'll come back from it, she's had the most amount of backlash ever
Omg stop bullying her 😫

• Haha
Reactions: 9
This is true for much of studytube, but especially Ruby's and Holly's channels. Lots of middle and high school aged students from outside Europe and North America who buy into the productivity culture, and think Ruby and Holly are examples to look up to, while both of them overwork themselves mentally and physically. I'd be very interested in seeing what their viewership percentages look like.
I wonder how much their content affects pre teens for example. I am a couple years older than them, yet whenever I watch them I have the need to start working fourteen hours a day and run a 10k every morning. I'm always left feeling inadequate.
Though at the same time I believe they project a fake image. I don't think either of them are actually like ~that~

Reactions: 15

Honestly I think she just wants to give off this romantic, whimsical impression of someone who just HAS to write so she felt she had to say writing.

Reactions: 15
I wonder how much their content affects pre teens for example. I am a couple years older than them, yet whenever I watch them I have the need to start working fourteen hours a day and run a 10k every morning. I'm always left feeling inadequate.
Though at the same time I believe they project a fake image. I don't think either of them are actually like ~that~
I've noticed that in her daily routines or whatever Ruby never mentions when or how much time she spends planning, filming and editing her videos, nor the time she spends on social media or her phone, or watching Youtube. So yeah I think it's a very curated version of what her life is actually like.

Last edited:
Reactions: 27
I honestly think that Ruby is not even a bad person at all. And no one deserves to be bullied. I just really think that she would benefit from an agency that is more culturally and politically aware. She could also take a few courses on subjects covering capitalism, racism, and other social issues. It might also be helpful for her to have these conversations on her channel and invite people who are not like her and use her platform for good. That is, she should try to let others speak and not try to be the sole mouthpiece for everything. We all have our own situated knowledge and authority on different things and we should always be trying to learn and listen. We all have deeply ingrained biases and beliefs and it does take a lot of work to acknowledge them and make necessary changes. But if her own agency/talent group are allowing her to make these blunders, it means that these issues go way deeper than the influencer. They have to allow room for their talent to own up to their mistakes instead of coming up helping them cover things up. Idk if you all have seen, but sixteenthtalent keeps deleting negative comments about Jade. That just makes Jade look so much worse and even lowers their credibility. That whole system really needs to be fixed.
Edit: Like Jade's covid guideline violations have literally been addressed in an article. Lol. That is not a good look for Jade or sixteenthtalent.

Reactions: 17
That would require Ruby to admit 1. that she was wrong and 2. there are topics she is interested in but cannot ever be the expert on

She is, unfortunately, a textbook example of rigid thinking and close-mindedness. Not that she is deliberately mean at all, she just has a completely fixed mindset about what is 'good' and 'right' and won't deviate from it. I mean, she dismisses parties and alcohol, but has she ever tried it? Or taken a whole day off studying, been on a date, done something out her comfort zone?

You don't grow when you're comfortable, and Ruby is showing this more and more as time passes.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I imagine that Ruby will do an Instagram post in the next couple of days talking about how badly her mental health has been affected by the backlash, and her fans will lavish her with praise about how caring she is, how it's awful that she was bullied for trying to help remember the Holocaust, etc etc 🙄

Reactions: 24
I wonder if her management has spoken with her about this, as this isn't the first time she's chosen to accept an inappropriate ad (thinking about the NHS one she did a few months ago).

Reactions: 13
I wonder if her management has spoken with her about this, as this isn't the first time she's chosen to accept an inappropriate ad (thinking about the NHS one she did a few months ago).
I’d assumed it was her management who got her this ad, given that Jack did it too. Honestly, if they did suggest this to her then they should take some responsibility, they advertise themselves on a platform of ’doing good’ and I can see the thought process here, but it was really, really stupid.

Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.