Ruby Granger #4 Please sir, may I have some more (priviledge, playtime, and fake productivity)?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Honestly this kind of parenting is incredibly damaging to a sibling relationship, as well as to each child individually.
Not only is it fostering needless competition and rivalry, but is very hurtful to the Nathan-type child, who of course will be aware of the subtle ridicule and patronisation, but it also doesn't do the Erimentha-type any favours. It puts pressure on her to make sure to always be seen as the smart one.
How humiliating if she was outsmarted by her dumb younger brother, who might well be really good at something else! Must make sure she is always better than him in every way, and be seen to be better than him. Otherwise she could end up at the receiving end of mummy and Nathan laughing at her behind her back!
And then carrying that attitude with her into the classroom, and beyond.
Yes. If "Erimentha" is in any way autobiographical it speaks volumes about Ruby being the quintessential golden child and Marfa the rebel.

Reactions: 6
View attachment 408633

View attachment 408635

And yes yes yes to the poster above on the damage the the parents are fostering in the sibling rivalry. If Ruby and Martha's home life is any reflection on what's in the book, it explains a lot.
This tit happened constantly at my school, people would leave their computers logged on after an IT lesson and some random year 8 or something in the next class would just go on the email and send out ‘im gay’ to the entire school, or just go on the recent emails and reply to the last email they got and insult whoever sent it, even teachers. No one took it seriously or got upset bc it was so obvious it wasn’t the person who the account belonged to that sent it, plus it was pretty much an every day occurrence so it just never even got investigated

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
lmao what's that bit about the British Museum about, if a kid tried to lecture a curator on something and wasn't just you know, excitedly talking to them about an object in a museum, the curator would just walk away

Source: currently work in a museum

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
I really want someone to do a 'fanfic' from the POV of the bully or one of the other people in the school. Like, the perspective of an ordinary person with actual struggles to demonstrate what a massive nob Erimentha is, and how her victim narrative is complete waffle.
hahahah please omg

Reactions: 3
Everyone was right at the ‘re-investing’ instead of ‘donating’.
First thought - is there such a thing as a correctly funded state school? They're all underfunded!!
Second thought - this is never going to happen, especially with COVID, but it does seem generally impractical
Third thought - Memorials aren't cheap! How many is she planning on doing and just how much money did she get??

edit: I also wonder if she's the right person to decide what kind of memorial would be appropriate? Personally I would rather see carefully thought out memorials created or chosen by those who have been in some impacted by genocide, rather than a privileged white british person.

Reactions: 29
Does anyone remember her review video about the pros and cons of living in a studio? To me, that was the nail in the coffin for her unrelatability. In the whole 15-minute video, she didn't once mention the price disparity between a single room in shared accommodation and a studio (as a con or otherwise).

She didn't even think to mention the cost because, to her, it was immaterial. That's privilege right there, and the blissful ignorance of the fact that for her subscribers, the cost would be one of (if not the) most important factors.

Reactions: 43
Does anyone remember her review video about the pros and cons of living in a studio? To me, that was the nail in the coffin for her unrelatability. In the whole 15-minute video, she didn't once mention the price disparity between a single room in shared accommodation and a studio (as a con or otherwise).

She didn't even think to mention the cost because, to her, it was immaterial. That's privilege right there, and the blissful ignorance of the fact that for her subscribers, the cost would be one of (if not the) most important factors.
This popped up in my recommended videos the other day - her going through the pros and cons of studios without even addressing the price demonstrates just how ridiculously out of touch she is. The studio accommodation at my university was so expensive that most of the apartments were empty because no one could afford them except for those with very wealthy families. I'd have loved to not have had to live with my first year flatmates who I really didn't get along with, but just had to accept that the flat I was in was the only one I could afford. It's very clear that Ruby is from a wealthy family and has never had to think about the possibility of having to compromise on something she wants due to money.

Reactions: 21
View attachment 408633

View attachment 408635

And yes yes yes to the poster above on the damage the the parents are fostering in the sibling rivalry. If Ruby and Martha's home life is any reflection on what's in the book, it explains a lot.
the “preparing to lose her favour” part is very telling. I was def a bit of a goody two shoes at school but I also had teachers I hated? Isn’t that just part and parcel of school 😂

Reactions: 4
the “preparing to lose her favour” part is very telling. I was def a bit of a goody two shoes at school but I also had teachers I hated? Isn’t that just part and parcel of school 😂
honestly the writing about miss Solomon always comes across a little like a crush to me? Like she talks about her how I used to talk about girls I liked before I knew I liked them. It borders on obsessive imo

Reactions: 7
honestly the writing about miss Solomon always comes across a little like a crush to me? Like she talks about her how I used to talk about girls I liked before I knew I liked them. It borders on obsessive imo
I think ruby has obsessive tendencies so it wouldn’t be surprised if at one point she was obsessed with a teacher or two

Reactions: 11
I think ruby has obsessive tendencies so it wouldn’t be surprised if at one point she was obsessed with a teacher or two
I loved my teacher so much, I used to cut pictures of flowers out of magazines and hide them in her coat pockets.

(However, I was 4 years old and in primary school.)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
Speaking of Erimentha, I was watching one of Ruby’s videos with Jack and she said when she was in year 8 (or possibly when she was 8, I forget), she did a project on volcanos over the holidays (for fun I think) and was really annoyed because she didn’t get any house points for doing it. Which begs the question: was justice served and did Erimentha get house points for her volcano?!?!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 30
edit: I also wonder if she's the right person to decide what kind of memorial would be appropriate? Personally I would rather see carefully thought out memorials created or chosen by those who have been in some impacted by genocide, rather than a privileged white british person.
Absolutely, Ruby would be like the least qualified person for this kind of thing. She was not personally affected by the Holocaust, her family was not either as far as we know, she's not a historian, she's not an artist, she's not even Jewish. She's just a 20 year old Lit student with a Youtube channel. What the hell does she know?
Somebody should tell her that this is a little more serious than building a volcano for a science project.

Reactions: 31
if anything I just have a crushing feeling of second hand embarrassment from Ruby. It’s like she’s got this image in her head of who and what she wants to be and none of it is coming out right. It’s getting seriously hard to watch. I do kind of feel bad for her as i went through an (almost) similar stage when i was younger of racing through phases and figuring out who i wanted to be but none of that was online for thousands of people to see and I certainly wasn’t accepting payment and influencing young people at a critical stage in their lives. I have to be grateful that i’m not a high school student now thinking that Ruby’s advice will help me achieve my #darkacademia #productive goals

• Sad
Reactions: 27
Long time Ruby subscriber, new to TattleLife.

Regarding Ruby's political views, she did show support for Liberal Democrats. Around 4 years ago*, in a 'School Morning Routine' video she showed the pins she had on her school blazer and/or school backpack. One of them was the yellow bird and she said in the video it was a Liberal Democrats pin. I looked back through her channel for a screenshot but I couldn't find the video. I remember she got some backlash for it back then, but I'm guessing she deleted it when her channel gained traction. Her management or parents likely would have advised her to take it down too.

*I'm pretty sure it was around 4 years ago judging by the other videos that have the '4 years ago' tag on them. I remember the other videos being released because that's when i first found her channel.

Reactions: 6

Big yes to this! I seem to remember someone mentioning this in the comments and her reply was along the lines of, "yes of course it's a privilege to be able to afford a studio, I'm very lucky, but I didn't mention that because people will already know what their budget is".

Reactions: 8
if anything I just have a crushing feeling of second hand embarrassment from Ruby. It’s like she’s got this image in her head of who and what she wants to be and none of it is coming out right. It’s getting seriously hard to watch. I do kind of feel bad for her as i went through an (almost) similar stage when i was younger of racing through phases and figuring out who i wanted to be but none of that was online for thousands of people to see and I certainly wasn’t accepting payment and influencing young people at a critical stage in their lives. I have to be grateful that i’m not a high school student now thinking that Ruby’s advice will help me achieve my #darkacademia #productive goals
Never saw this video but that was my guess of her political views, thinking the lib dems are leftwing

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Big yes to this! I seem to remember someone mentioning this in the comments and her reply was along the lines of, "yes of course it's a privilege to be able to afford a studio, I'm very lucky, but I didn't mention that because people will already know what their budget is".
Am I right in remembering that in that video she also complained about cooking smells in a studio? I did kind of smile at the fact that this hadn’t occurred to her beforehand - but I suppose if you’ve spent your life in a big house it would never occur to you that cooking makes smells and if your clothes and bed are near to it, they’ll smell too.

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.