Ruby Granger #4 Please sir, may I have some more (priviledge, playtime, and fake productivity)?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
For UK standards and certainly for her it might not be. But just scroll through her comments and you'll see such a big part of her audience that brings her that revenue is from countries where £38k is a fortune
The average median UK salary is apparently £30k (pre-tax, I assume) so £38k (post tax) is pretty good, especially for a 21 year-old who isn’t exactly working 9-5. I don’t know what that would be pre-tax, easily £50k I should think, which is a pretty good wage.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13
There's actually a lot of stuff written about how white women are always perceived as innocent creatures incapable of causing harm. A lot of these StudyTubers (Jade, for example) rely on this image to protect themselves from valid criticism. Anyone who dares reveal their true intentions or point out their wrongdoings suddenly becomes an aggressor or a bully. This is why you often see people like Jade shift the conversation to mental health and things like casual magic (this is a tactic she uses to mask her privilege). It's how Ruby is always deemed as a sweet, naive girl who is only seen as "meaning well" despite how obvious it is that she is capitalizing off students and fetishizing productivity. Perhaps, what Ruby refers to as bullies are actually people who saw through all this and didn't buy into it. A lot of her followers need a wake-up call. In fact, a lot of the StudyTube and Productivity community needs to be examined from a more critical perspective. There's just a lot of shady stuff going on.
I agree with what you say but I still think Ruby is a bit naïve and that’s why she seems to suffer from an endless case of foot-in-mouth. I think she does ‘mean well’, in her head, but she’s incredibly sheltered and she comes from a background of privilege that she’s totally blind to. I also think that she comes from a world where it’s second nature to take money when it’s offered - just thinking of her parents, you just don’t end up with that kind of house and lifestyle by ever turning money down or questioning the ethics of what’s being offered, whether that’s taking a job or exploiting a tax loophole.

What gets me about the StudyTubers is that there is generally a total lack of understanding of their own privilege, or an interpretation of privilege that’s solely based on money - ‘there’s always someone richer than me and my family so I’m not really privileged’. I’ve noticed that a lot with Jade and Jack, and Ruby is similar. They genuinely believe that they’ve got to where they are through their own hard work and it’s frustrating that they peddle that message to a very young and vulnerable audience, who really do believe that if they buy Ruby’s planner (or Jack’s book, or Holly’s tutoring) then they too can have that kind of life. It’s as bad as influencers peddling a luxury lifestyle and encouraging people to get themselves into debt because this owning this handbag will make you like me, but it’s more insidious as it’s wrapped in this wholesome veneer.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
The average median UK salary is apparently £30k so £38k is pretty good, especially for a 21 year-old who isn’t exactly working 9-5.
That's it, she's not making insane amounts of money but for someone who's 21 and studying it's massive. I'm a student and I know most of us have jobs to be able to afford a roof over our heads, never mind earning that much.

Reactions: 17
I agree with what you say but I still think Ruby is a bit naïve and that’s why she seems to suffer from an endless case of foot-in-mouth. I think she does ‘mean well’, in her head, but she’s incredibly sheltered and she comes from a background of privilege that she’s totally blind to. I also think that she comes from a world where it’s second nature to take money when it’s offered - just thinking of her parents, you just don’t end up with that kind of house and lifestyle by ever turning money down or questioning the ethics of what’s being offered, whether that’s taking a job or exploiting a tax loophole.
Yeah this is it and it would really explain the Holocaust ad thing. It probably didn't even occur to her that it might not be right to take that money - she must have thought "oh well they're offering it so why shouldn't I accept it".
I wonder how involved her parents are with her business choices. Considering how childish Ruby is I'd say they must be pretty involved.

Reactions: 7
Plus she's living rent free at her parents' house and gets loads of gifted stuff so her outgoings are most likely very low. And she's already a homeowner.

Reactions: 26
Yeah this is it and it would really explain the Holocaust ad thing. It probably didn't even occur to her that it might not be right to take that money - she must have thought "oh well they're offering it so why shouldn't I accept it".
I wonder how involved her parents are with her business choices. Considering how childish Ruby is I'd say they must be pretty involved.
There’s also the attitude of taking money ‘because I’m worth it’ - of course they’re paying me because I’m a well-known brand with all of these followers and so on, and of course everything I have to say has value. For all the meek and mild persona Ruby does seem to come from a background where she’s had a lot of (perhaps too much ...) praise and encouragement, and I do wonder if that’s why she struggles so much when she isn’t successful. It’s pretty much been a given in her life and I think that’s why the Oxford rejection hit her so very hard.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
What gets me about the StudyTubers is that there is generally a total lack of understanding of their own privilege, or an interpretation of privilege that’s solely based on money - ‘there’s always someone richer than me and my family so I’m not really privileged’. I’ve noticed that a lot with Jade and Jack, and Ruby is similar. They genuinely believe that they’ve got to where they are through their own hard work and it’s frustrating that they peddle that message to a very young and vulnerable audience, who really do believe that if they buy Ruby’s planner (or Jack’s book, or Holly’s tutoring) then they too can have that kind of life. It’s as bad as influencers peddling a luxury lifestyle and encouraging people to get themselves into debt because this owning this handbag will make you like me, but it’s more insidious as it’s wrapped in this wholesome veneer.
And the thing with Ruby is that, okay, she studies a lot. She works hard in university. Good for her.
She doesn't seem to realize that being able to spend entire days studying is a huge privilege in itself. She still gets merit of her own because not everyone who is able to do that can actually put in the hard work (I personally know people who have absolutely duck all to do and never get anything done either way), but she should recognise that it is not realistic for a lot of people.
And secondly, how does her studying for so long help her opportunities or her results on a long term basis? Because it seems to me she's not doing exceptionally well in uni and she's a year behind (not that there's anything wrong with that). And we all know she's not exactly a scholar anyway even if she pretends to be. Working hard only means something if it gets you somewhere, tangible results, otherwise you're just wasting your time. Ruby doesn't seem to understand that.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 29

Absolutely. I think the problem lies in the fact that people, including their followers, have repeatedly pointed out their privilege. And yet, instead of taking time to examine why people are upset and validly calling them out, they consistently brush it off with that very mentality that you mention. They think that because they "mean well" other people are just acting out of jealousy or hatred. There comes a point where it stops being a case of tone-deafness and naivete and it becomes a manipulative pattern. They claim to be intelligent and capable of deep introspection. Surely, the UK education system has not failed them completely and has offered courses on poverty, racism, intersectionality, and wealth disparities? They're adults, not children. They have to be held accountable as such because, unfortunately, privilege and willing blindness to social issues, breeds more generations of inequality and exploitation. These are the type of people who end up holding positions of power and making big decisions in the world. This is very dangerous because there are so many inequalities already at play in education, but the face of this community is made up of wealthy (mostly white) individuals who push skewed narratives of "hard work" and "grind" culture. I really wish I could write a paper about this. Lol.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Surely, the UK education system has not failed them completely and has offered courses on poverty, racism, intersectionality, and wealth disparities?
I sincerely doubt it has. I went to a private school which I suspect was much like Ruby’s, and we didn’t really have any classes like that. This is mostly due to the national curriculum, which all schools have to follow, rather than a school specific policy, but I think it’s highly unlikely they had any formal education on any of this. Add to that the fact that private schools are typically incredibly un-diverse in terms of student population, they’ll all have likely spent most of their time around people exactly like them, which makes it very easy to pretend issues like racism and the wealth divide don’t really exist. You’d hope that someone like Ruby, who claims to be a bookworm, would have sought to increase her understanding of the world around her through literature, which is a great way to start to think about some of the real world issues she’ll have been sheltered from, but as we all know she favours children’s books and Victorian romanticisation to the real world.

• Sad
Reactions: 16
I sincerely doubt it has. I went to a private school which I suspect was much like Ruby’s, and we didn’t really have any classes like that. This is mostly due to the national curriculum, which all schools have to follow, rather than a school specific policy, but I think it’s highly unlikely they had any formal education on any of this. Add to that the fact that private schools are typically incredibly un-diverse in terms of student population, they’ll all have likely spent most of their time around people exactly like them, which makes it very easy to pretend issues like racism and the wealth divide don’t really exist. You’d hope that someone like Ruby, who claims to be a bookworm, would have sought to increase her understanding of the world around her through literature, which is a great way to start to think about some of the real world issues she’ll have been sheltered from, but as we all know she favours children’s books and Victorian romanticisation to the real world.
The only social issues Ruby seems to read about is stuff that could realistically happen to her as well: eating disorders, bullying, potentially LGBT discrimination?
She will probably never experience racism, so she doesn't read about it. Same for poverty, immigration, etc.

Reactions: 15
Surely, the UK education system has not failed them completely and has offered courses on poverty, racism, intersectionality, and wealth disparities? They're adults, not children. They have to be held accountable as such because, unfortunately, privilege and willing blindness to social issues, breeds more generations of inequality and exploitation. These are the type of people who end up holding positions of power and making big decisions in the world. This is very dangerous because there are so many inequalities already at play in education, but the face of this community is made up of wealthy (mostly white) individuals who push skewed narratives of "hard work" and "grind" culture. I really wish I could write a paper about this. Lol.
I genuinely can’t see a school like Ruby’s offering any kind of teaching on poverty and wealth disparities. Trying to teach that at a single-sex, independent school in the Tory heartlands would be akin to a teacher handing in their resignation. Can you imagine the outcry when Octavia and Persephone go home and start wondering aloud if perhaps daddy might not be right when he says that the poor are poor because just because they’re not working hard enough, and it might not be the case that they spend all of their benefits on drugs and tattoos?

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30

If she were just naive, she would learn and grow overtime. Instead, she gets defensive and dismissive when people confront her about her mistakes. She’s chooses to stay in her doting little world and has clearly regressed in the past year. Her privilege (young, white, rich, traditionally feminine, etc.) is giving her a pass to be “naive”. But she’s not. She’s willfully ignorant.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Surely she should be using the money to work with the charity to campaign to get more things taught on the UK curriculum, kids aren’t thick in “under funded” schools they learn about WW2, maybe it’s the angle that it’s taught from she should be trying to change. She needs to serious watch what she’s says, she snobbery is what is getting my back up about this!

Reactions: 14
I don't blame Ruby's school for her ignorance. She's a grown woman and there are SO many self education tools out there.

Reactions: 12
I don't blame Ruby's school for her ignorance. She's a grown woman and there are SO many self education tools out there.
exactly, and shes a grown woman, claims shes smart, 'studies' basically all day, says she reads the news, reads many books, is at a uni, and shes active on social media so she would see stuff.

she's just putting on an act

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Completely agree. There are definitely problems with the education system in the UK, in particular regarding the curriculum, but that shouldn’t be used to excuse her ignorance. I went to a predominately rich, white private school, and I’ve worked hard both while there and throughout my time at uni to go beyond what was taught in school and by my parents, and to try to further my understanding and awareness of the issues I’ve been lucky enough to have been relatively unaffected by in my life. I know there are limits to what I can learn (I can’t ever truly understand what it is to experience racism for instance), but that doesn’t mean i don’t have a responsibility to try, and to listen to those with more experience than me. Of course education should play a role, but Ruby also has a personal responsibility to better herself.

Reactions: 15
Yep, the school probably played a part, but at the end of the day shes been an adult and at uni a couple of years now, she should’ve become a lil bit less ignorant in my opinion. Then again she does go exeter which is known for having a lot of rich white students, so tbh I’m not really sure shes been exposed to the real world yet anyway

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.