Ruby Granger #4 Please sir, may I have some more (priviledge, playtime, and fake productivity)?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Boyfriend volunteered a few nights (7pm - 7am) with the homeless charity and he said the thing they’d hand out were blankets mostly as that’s what the homeless wanted the most. The least helpful thing they could have was food or water as they told him they got enough of those in donations a day anyway. Really shows again how out of touch ruby is. Also I find her having to write things down to do to be kind a bit strange, and especially making a video on it or showing ideas. Seems forced and as a way to show off?

38k for the same recycled morning/day/night routine videos seems ridiculous, along with her crappy editing and low effort content I think I’m in the wrong career

• Heart
Reactions: 18
38k for the same recycled morning/day/night routine videos seems ridiculous, along with her crappy editing and low effort content I think I’m in the wrong career
That's just you jeAloUsy speaking. #bekind

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I wonder if any of her earnings are funnelled outside of her company?
Since her business is registered with an accountant and it’s Limited, I’d hazard a guess that she’s able to write a fair bit off as expenses and exploit every tax break. The accounts are posted publically online and the £38k is net, not gross - she actually made well over £50k but has quite high outgoings. I’d guess some of that is her mortgage/general landlord costs, plus her agency fees, but I wonder if she could claim stuff like her uni accommodation and a lot of her travel costs as a business expense? It shows that it certainly helps having a family member in finance!

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
Since her business is registered with an accountant and it’s Limited, I’d hazard a guess that she’s able to write a fair bit off as expenses and exploit every tax break. The accounts are posted publically online and the £38k is net, not gross - she actually made well over £50k but has quite high outgoings. I’d guess some of that is her mortgage/general landlord costs, plus her agency fees, but I wonder if she could claim stuff like her uni accommodation and a lot of her travel costs as a business expense? It shows that it certainly helps having a family member in finance!
Again in the higher tax bracket, aka deffo voted Tory

Reactions: 3
This might sound really ignorant but is 38k a lot? I totally expected her to be earning more than that
No sense of real world money here (uni student, forever living on Ramen), but what she does, doesn't justify more than 3000 a month, at least in my opinion. I also dislike this "relatable student"-cosplay, that she portrays to her young followers. If you make so much of your audience and plattform I think it's crossly misleading to just pretend it is a funny little hobby, inspiring others, charity really.

(But I can see that that's a debatable position.)

Reactions: 10
No sense of real world money here (uni student, forever living on Ramen), but what she does, doesn't justify more than 3000 a month, at least in my opinion. I also dislike this "relatable student"-cosplay, that she portrays to her young followers. If you make so much of your audience and plattform I think it's crossly misleading to just pretend it is a funny little hobby, inspiring others, charity really.

(But I can see that that's a debatable position.)
You’d never get paid that much as a public sector worker or in most jobs, which is why I’m convinced she won’t get another job ever.

Reactions: 14
Yeah, you’d have to be daft to publicly announce you vote Tory. The internet would rip her to shreds

Reactions: 5
This might sound really ignorant but is 38k a lot? I totally expected her to be earning more than that
For UK standards and certainly for her it might not be. But just scroll through her comments and you'll see such a big part of her audience that brings her that revenue is from countries where £38k is a fortune

• Heart
Reactions: 10
The amount of money she makes is simply disgusting. Full stop.
I don't particularly care how much money people make. That's not my business. But I guess my concern is that she is so ignorant about her privilege and I guess, "how the other half live". This is coming from a privately educated Oxford student and the oldest child of two doctors, but I wish she'd get out and experience the real world. Private school, Oxbridge, Exeter and Durham are some of the worst bubbles. I don't think Ruby's a bad person because she earns a lot of money every year, my parents aren't bad people for earning high salaries. What is bad is thinking that giving a bottle of water to a homeless man when you earn £38K a year is an act of kindness. If she wants to be kind, I think she can do a little better than that.

Yeah, you’d have to be daft to publicly announce you vote Tory. The internet would rip her to shreds
I actually get massive Lib Dem vibes from Ruby 😂😂😂 it's sort of right wing without the insurmountable guilt you must get putting an [X] beside a Tory candidate hahaha

• Haha
Reactions: 13
This! I could hear rats running around under my history classroom, but it's alright, because benefactor Ruby is going to put up a memorial! At a time when lots of students are struggling to learn from home with no access to technology or the Internet, this really doesn't sit well with me.
Sorry for going back a bit here but as someone who went to an underfunded state school, a memorial won't do ANYTHING. The students need actual resources, books, computers, projectors ?????????????

Reactions: 27
I guess we know why she thought she had to justify and was embarrassed by drinking Tetley tea :rolleyes:

It makes this video a lot more performative and out of touch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I don't particularly care how much money people make. That's not my business. But I guess my concern is that she is so ignorant about her privilege and I guess, "how the other half live". This is coming from a privately educated Oxford student and the oldest child of two doctors, but I wish she'd get out and experience the real world. Private school, Oxbridge, Exeter and Durham are some of the worst bubbles. I don't think Ruby's a bad person because she earns a lot of money every year, my parents aren't bad people for earning high salaries. What is bad is thinking that giving a bottle of water to a homeless man when you earn £38K a year is an act of kindness. If she wants to be kind, I think she can do a little better than that.
I mean, I don't know your parents, but as long as they don't put up a strange masquerade of relatability and charity (and write bad fanfic portraying weird family dynamics), I'm sure they are fine people to me as well! :D

No, of course you are right. My problem is not solely the money she is making. It is the amount of money she makes and the amount of privilege she has, that she hides behind this quirky childlike naive persona, impressing thousand of young people, aspiring to be as "humble" and "kind" as her. It is all the pieces connecting, that make me strongly dislike her: The "little slip-ups", the insensitive ads, the showing of her wealth and her privileged life that sometimes glimmer through and people (me included) always give her the benefit of a doubt for. "Oh, of course, she only has good intentions." "She is just young and maybe a little naive." "I dislike her stupid prancing and fetish-roleplay, but that's just who she is: painfully innocent and naive. Maybe stupid and insufferable, but not intentionally harmful." But that level of money doesn't match with that level of stupid. I really can't stand putting up with this bs anymore. I think she is exactly knowing what she does. Ex-act-ly.

(A little like John Oliver's piece about Boris Johnson, in case anyone has seen it and can relate.)

Reactions: 17
I mean, I don't know your parents, but as long as they don't put up a strange masquerade of relatability and charity (and write bad fanfic portraying weird family dynamics), I'm sure they are fine people to me as well! :D

No, of course you are right. My problem is not solely the money she is making. It is the amount of money she makes and the amount of privilege she has, that she hides behind this quirky childlike naive persona, impressing thousand of young people, aspiring to be as "humble" and "kind" as her. It is all the pieces connecting, that make me strongly dislike her: The "little slip-ups", the insensitive ads, the showing of her wealth and her privileged life that sometimes glimmer through and people (me included) always give her the benefit of a doubt for. "Oh, of course, she only has good intentions." "She is just young and maybe a little naive." "I dislike her stupid prancing and fetish-roleplay, but that's just who she is: painfully innocent and naive. Maybe stupid and insufferable, but not intentionally harmful." But that level of money doesn't match with that level of stupid. I really can't stand putting up with this bs anymore. I think she is exactly knowing what she does. Ex-act-ly.

(A little like John Oliver's piece about Boris Johnson, in case anyone has seen it and can relate.)
There's actually a lot of stuff written about how white women are always perceived as innocent creatures incapable of causing harm. A lot of these StudyTubers (Jade, for example) rely on this image to protect themselves from valid criticism. Anyone who dares reveal their true intentions or point out their wrongdoings suddenly becomes an aggressor or a bully. This is why you often see people like Jade shift the conversation to mental health and things like casual magic (this is a tactic she uses to mask her privilege). It's how Ruby is always deemed as a sweet, naive girl who is only seen as "meaning well" despite how obvious it is that she is capitalizing off students and fetishizing productivity. Perhaps, what Ruby refers to as bullies are actually people who saw through all this and didn't buy into it. A lot of her followers need a wake-up call. In fact, a lot of the StudyTube and Productivity community needs to be examined from a more critical perspective. There's just a lot of shady stuff going on.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Exactly, she could’t admit that. When I asked her ops on politics and namely brexit she blocked me lol, so that kinda says a lot imo

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.