Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

CatCafe234

VIP Member
Right, this is going to sound really petty but it’s irritated me massively for an absolute age. Ruby, a ‘candlestick’ is the device that holds a candle, seriously, go and type it into Google and see. Those things you have leaning dangerously above flammable surfaces and dripping wax all over the windowsills in your room are candles - sometimes called dinner candles or taper candles, but normally just called a b****y candle. They are not called ‘candlesticks’ just because they are stick-shaped.

Aaaannnnddd breathe ... Sorry, this has broken me.

• Haha
Reactions: 40

sergeantsantiago

Wow. This is all so unnecessary. There are charities whose exact job is to educate kids on the Holocaust by taking them on trips, arranging events, etc. How about she donates to one of those instead of half-assing something herself? Is it because she wouldn't be able to take any credit for it or profit in any way or get visibility?
I'm sorry but this whole thing is extremely suspicious.
I mean she can’t even manage a Facebook book club. She’s full of shit man

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39

carmex03

talks about how she's already memorised all their set textbooks for school, done a pile of extra readings (worrying that it will be enough)
While Hermione is insufferable in the first few books, part of why she over prepares is because she's a child of muggles about to enter the "wizarding world". She's trying to fit in and avoid being discriminated against. Ruby is an upper class, native English speaker who attended private school, and is now studying English literature. Nothing wrong with any of that, but there is little justification for all the performative "extra work"

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39

peanutbuttervibes

i find it so odd that ruby doesn’t seem to fully understand that, in all the books with the characters that she worships (Hermione, Anne of Green Gables), they are written to be v annoying at first because they are know-it-alls, and they eventually learn to let go of constantly using big words and wanting to sound smarter than everyone else and develop their social skills (not saying everyone has to be extroverted, they mostly learn to sound less condescending), which makes them more likeable to the reader

• Heart
Reactions: 38

fallenlvs

Two Chapter 8s and no Chapter 10? Did anyone proofread this book at all before it got published...

"Erimentha decides to avoid Simone for the whole week" - again, this entire book reads like Erimentha is the bully, not the victim lmao
You say that but from what I’ve seen, if Erimentha decided to avoid me for the week I would feel blessed beyond belief 😂

• Haha

GoinDowntown

Why is she even getting up so early and then just faff about for a full 3 hours? There was literally no need for her to get up at that time.

I hate this notion that getting up early = productivity. Why?? As long as you spend X number of hours working, what does it matter if you do it between 05:00 and 14:00 or between 10:00 and 19:00?

It made me really sad, there were so many people in the comments saying how they felt like they had already failed at being productive because they slept until noon and not measuring up to this ridiculous standard.

If you feel like you're more alert in the morning, by all means do your work in the morning. But some people are more productive in the afternoon/evening. Fitness gurus are guilty of this too. If you want to get your life together you must go on a run at 6am. wtf? why add this additional barrier to motivation? why not go for a run at lunchtime?

It's like they need to prove that they are superior to you because they get up earlier. When that just means they are wiped out be early afternoon. I'm sorry but some of us have stuff to do in the evening, we can't all be going to bed at 20:30 jesus

• Heart

ECH

VIP Member
Lets be real though, Ruby's 'kindness' has always been about herself first and anyone she helps second. The kindness journal or whatever it was was all about doing things that made you feel good under the guise of kindness.

• Heart

missmina

VIP Member
I'm 100% convinced that's exactly the "bullying" Ruby experienced in school. Erimentha is insufferable and rude but somehow Ruby fails to realise it and claims it's her who's being bullied?? Wtf

• Heart

buflesse

Chatty Member
As someone who went to an 'underfunded state school' I find her defensive statement so bizarre. It's like saying 'hello poor people let me help you remember this thing that you clearly don't remember enough'. And how much was she paid, if she's talking about setting up memorials in multiple schools? The whole thing stinks.

Reactions: 37

berkeleymoon87

I mean, I don't know your parents, but as long as they don't put up a strange masquerade of relatability and charity (and write bad fanfic portraying weird family dynamics), I'm sure they are fine people to me as well! :D

No, of course you are right. My problem is not solely the money she is making. It is the amount of money she makes and the amount of privilege she has, that she hides behind this quirky childlike naive persona, impressing thousand of young people, aspiring to be as "humble" and "kind" as her. It is all the pieces connecting, that make me strongly dislike her: The "little slip-ups", the insensitive ads, the showing of her wealth and her privileged life that sometimes glimmer through and people (me included) always give her the benefit of a doubt for. "Oh, of course, she only has good intentions." "She is just young and maybe a little naive." "I hate her stupid prancing and fetish-roleplay, but that's just who she is: painfully innocent and naive. Maybe stupid and insufferable, but not intentionally harmful." But that level of money doesn't match with that level of stupid. I really can't stand putting up with this bs anymore. I think she is exactly knowing what she does. Ex-act-ly.

(A little like John Oliver's piece about Boris Johnson, in case anyone has seen it and can relate.)
There's actually a lot of stuff written about how white women are always perceived as innocent creatures incapable of causing harm. A lot of these StudyTubers (Jade, for example) rely on this image to protect themselves from valid criticism. Anyone who dares reveal their true intentions or point out their wrongdoings suddenly becomes an aggressor or a bully. This is why you often see people like Jade shift the conversation to mental health and things like casual magic (this is a tactic she uses to mask her privilege). It's how Ruby is always deemed as a sweet, naive girl who is only seen as "meaning well" despite how obvious it is that she is capitalizing off students and fetishizing productivity. Perhaps, what Ruby refers to as bullies are actually people who saw through all this and didn't buy into it. A lot of her followers need a wake-up call. In fact, a lot of the StudyTube and Productivity community needs to be examined from a more critical perspective. There's just a lot of shady stuff going on.

• Heart

Randomer123

I think it's very pressing given that anti-semitism is on the rise and so many hate crimes are committed against Jews. Maybe you'd speak differently if you were Jewish..
I didn't mean it's not important, and apologies for wording it incorrectly. I just mean schools are struggling juggling teaching in person, remotely and setting work for children to do at home, so reading and responding to an email from a random YouTuber probably isn't their highest priority.

• Heart

whatamievendoing

This is mad specific but any do any of you lot remember that CBBC show where they shipped a bunch of kids off to a house in the countryside and they all pretended it was WW2 and had to black out the windows and stuff? I think one kid even had a bowl put on his head and his hair cut off round the rim 🤣 whenever Ruby makes herself cold and all that jazz it reminds me of that show 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart

figgypud

Chatty Member
Ruby called alcohol "ethanol" but is happy to attribute the wrong meaning to quotes just because she prefers it? Okay :rolleyes:

• Haha
  • Heart
She's definitely read on here (or maybe people have messaged her?) and panicked about the whole thing.

Ruby if you're reading, stop trying to salvage this one - lesson (hopefully) learnt here. Either not accepting payment, or clearly re-donating the money back TO AN ACTUAL CHARITY would have been perfectly fine. Just do that next time rather than faffing about with some cobbled together memorial idea

Also "underfunded state school"?! Big yikes (and sounds like something Erimentha would say...)

• Angry
  • Heart