Ruby Granger #4 Please sir, may I have some more (priviledge, playtime, and fake productivity)?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
But... but how can she be getting firsts in her uni essays then? if she can misinterpret such fundamental things...?
Well, she's that type of person that can learn a lot by heart without any intelligent thought and understanding behind it, which unfortunately sometimes is enough for good grades but not always, thus she didn't manage to get to Oxford despite the highest marks and studying 15h a day.

Reactions: 5
Jesus Christ. I wonder if she has actually read 1984 or if she just found the quote randomly and thought it sounded cute.
The book is about totalitarianism and being brainwashed into thinking that sticking to what you know and not being curious is safer than thinking for yourself. Maybe this tiny bit of context can help her understand that maybe it's not the best quote to put under a cutesy Instagram picture.

Reactions: 19
She can't say it was an autocorrect this time so I wonder how she reacts :LOL: I saw someone already explained her what the quote really refers to.

Reactions: 6
Well, she's that type of person that can learn a lot by heart without any intelligent thought and understanding behind it, which unfortunately sometimes is enough for good grades but not always, thus she didn't manage to get to Oxford despite the highest marks and studying 15h a day.
The Oxford people that rejected her saw right through her intellectual "study enthusiast" persona lmao

• Heart
Reactions: 25
The Oxford people that rejected her saw right through her intellectual "study enthusiast" persona lmao
One thing that struck me as odd was that after her Oxford interview, she said she‘d had to ask what the word ‘brine’ meant as it was in one of the unseen poems(?) she’d had to discuss. I get that panic can cause a blank mind but brine? Surely anyone who’s ever eaten a tin of tuna or visited the seaside knows what that means? It seems such an odd word to forget the meaning of, something long or obscure I can understand but that’s such a strange word for an avid reader to go blank on.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
It reminds me of people on Facebook who share misattributed quotes:
"Starships were meant to fly, hands up and touch the sky" ~ Mahatma Gandhi

• Haha
Reactions: 53
I think Ruby would've struggled with the Oxford interview as it's very difficult to rehearse for it - it seems like unseen poetry wouldn't be her strength and that's a big part of it. They're not super interested in what you've studied at school (and if they do talk about what you've studied at school, they try to push you out of your comfort zone with the questions). They look for people who can think critically without lots of prompting and who can pick up on multiple meanings, and I think Ruby finds that difficult.

Reactions: 18
One thing that struck me as odd was that after her Oxford interview, she said she‘d had to ask what the word ‘brine’ meant as it was in one of the unseen poems(?) she’d had to discuss. I get that panic can cause a blank mind but brine? Surely anyone who’s ever eaten a tin of tuna or visited the seaside knows what that means? It seems such an odd word to forget the meaning of, something long or obscure I can understand but that’s such a strange word for an avid reader to go blank on.
Ruby strikes me as one of those people who have zero creative thinking skills. She's good at parroting stuff she has prepared extensively but when put on the spot or in stressful, unpredictable situations she just shuts down. The fact that she is unable to produce original thoughts on something is apparent when it comes to her book reviews.

Reactions: 22
quick question, do any of you count audio books as read on goodreads? as ive seen some arguments about this and was just wondering what everyone though. does ruby listen to audio books right?
Yes! I find it a bit elitist to say that audiobooks don't count tbh - not saying you think like this, it's just an attitude I've seen online. It may not be an activity of "reading" but you have invested time and effort into listening to the entire book, one way or another. (And I find that this argument is lowkey ableist and disregards visually impaired people and their love for (audio) books. We all want stories, one way or another.)

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Oh please, don't! "And there she sat, in the freezing cold, holding on to the wisdom in her hands, the only book her beloved father left behind for her -"the little princess", her fragile limbs shaking, from the cold or the enduring hunger, she couldn't tell."

Attachments

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 30
Oh please, don't! "And there she sat, in the freezing cold, holding on to the wisdom in her hands, the only book her beloved father left behind for her -"the little princess", her fragile limbs shaking, from the cold or the enduring hunger, she couldn't tell."
Oh god please no, Ruby has no creativity nor acting skills for that.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Which is precisely why she should do it, for our amusement 🤣
Her acting skills are far beyond what I can cope with.:D She has the skills of a naive (but very enthusiastic) primary school student, who even her parents would gringe over at school performances, wishing their child will get over this quickly and develop some sense of self-reflection.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
She definitely just thought "I need a quote about books", searched on GoodReads and ended up here :ROFLMAO:
Would explain how she has no idea of the context or even the character that says it.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Tbh, I think she didn't actually know what brine was, but didn't want to admit it. Like she mispronounces words when she's only ever seen them written down, she had probably read the word somewhere at some point but never thought to look up its meaning.

But.. the context isn't objective. Understanding what the sentence actually means requires the context. It doesn't matter if it's lovely or not. Just like you wouldn't publicise a 'lovely'-sounding quote by a past dictator or known racist etc. The context is important. Fans are so blind to reason and logic.

Reactions: 11
She definitely just thought "I need a quote about books", searched on GoodReads and ended up here :ROFLMAO:
Would explain how she has no idea of the context or even the character that says it.
I really really hope that as an English student she’s actually read 1984 🙄

It’s essential reading for everyone actually so I’d recommend it more than almost anything else.

Reactions: 4
This reply is so dumb I don't know where to begin. I feel like my IQ is lower now.
Knowing Ruby's audience I can just hope this is a 13-year-old girl who doesn't know any better.

I really really hope that as an English student she’s actually read 1984 🙄

It’s essential reading for everyone actually so I’d recommend it more than almost anything else.
It's an amazing book too. As Ruby would say, it's "beautifully written".

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.