Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

pineapplesandcheese

View attachment 1462387
I’m sorry, but no. Stop wishing the year away. Time moves fast enough as it is without wishing Autumn upon us when August has only just begun. Besides, forecasters are predicting another 35°+ heatwave in August so you can pack away your woolly jumpers for another few months yet.
I'm sorry but I have to agree with her here, summer in the UK is a despicable season, I'm also already looking forward to autumn 😩😩

Reactions: 4

theMoth

Chatty Member
I wish Ruby would buy a fitted bedsheet, those with elastic around the edges. Problem solved.
It also looks like she is actually sleeping on some MDF / particle board that she laid onto the front and back of the bed. Can't be comfortable.

View attachment 1472416
It wouldn’t be authentic if her bed had a real board (duckboard? slatted frame? Lath floor? i like the word duckboard). They surely didn’t have those in Victorian time.

• Haha

rubysdeadfly

Chatty Member
Jacob Rees-Mogg is called the minister of the eighteenth century but if you look closely at his looks and the way he lives his life, he really is more of a late Victorian. Perfect for Ruby.
Didn't she read one of his books once? Do I smell a romance brewing

• Haha

tuneyloon

she wouldn't make it 24 hours alone in Paris. everyone would bully her. I'd love to see her try though.
I know French as a second language and was too self-conscious to speak it when I went to Paris lol (I once bought a roast chicken and the bewildered shopkeeper asked me where I was from after I switched to my Canadian English to talk to my brother... anyway). I would genuinely like her to try, it'd probably be good for her to give it a go

theMoth

Chatty Member
Like seriously ? I know it will be dumb for some of you but I didn't think girls only ( or boys only) schools still existed in Europe. ( Just read the wiki page of E.L. James and where she went). It's almost scary to me, it'd be my worst nightmare.
they still exist. There is an all-girls-school in my town. But that's the only one I know of and I don't think there are that many at least in Germany. I can't imagine going to an all-girls-school. During my apprenticeship I had school two times a week and we were only girls/women in that class (because some jobs are more or less just for women; not because men aren't allowed but .. you know how there are jobs that are considered to be for women only) and I found it very stressful at times.
For a year or so we had, that was when I was a teenager, sport lessons/class?! (I don't know how you would call it in English) separated from the boys. It was just an experiment, but I never got the point. I hated sports in school anyway, boys or no boys.

Lasagnacreamcone

Yeah, it's mainly this.

The most she can hope for now is a tiny deal from a no-name publisher who'll slap it on shelves unedited with a cover that looks like it was ripped from Deviantart. But Ruby's set herself up with the entitled expectation that she's going to get Stephen King levels of success and anything less will be like another Oxford rejection for her. She should've stuck with self-publishing.
If she didn't have an audience, fed herself correctly (I honestly think that's the main reason why her writing is so bad rn, like, it's very hum décousu, without that aspect it would at least make sense), and let herself be inspired instead of forcing it, maybe she could be good ! If you have passion and read as much as she says she does, you can't be that bad.
She needs to take a break, maybe meet people if she's not good at out-of-the-imaginary fiction. Or realize she doesn't want to do that at all idk. But for her age, her first book wasn't bad. Maybe it was more wattpad or good high school written production level but not everyone can write like this at this age either.

For publishing tho... Idk it's tough rn even if you're really really good so.

Open-door

While I don’t like Martha’s style (might be due to the fact that I’m 17 years older) I think she has better editing skills than Ruby. She doesn’t cut her speech suddenly or anything like that. And I think she doesn’t pretend to be someone else like Ruby does.
but she could do with a proper microphone.
I ask myself if all the things we worry about Ruby as displayed in her videos (apart from the weight loss, which is demonstrably real), are simply her marketing to a very young target market, who seem to enjoy her endless similar videos and child like presentation? In real life, she may well have friends, go out - at least to some extent - and we would be none the wiser, because what she shows is very, very limited and seems pretty unreal to me. The village she lives in is quite a strong community with social facilities but she never shows any of it and you would think from the videos they live in the middle of nowhere. Do we have any realistic view of how much income she makes from Youtube? She has a decent number of subscribers for a female UK Youtuber, and gets a decent amount of sponsorship from want we can see - and she is hardly transparent about this aspect. I don't really understand why she wouldn't target to an older market at this stage (simply for their disposable income) but maybe the little girls and early teens are a less competitive market. Just my thoughts.

I'm fairly new to following this but does Frubes have an actual career plan? From what I've gleaned she's trying to wing being an author with no substantial or dedicated creative writing education, and then she'll do a Masters (At Cambridge?) and then a PhD? I thought people did PhD's to become academics in their field, but it's obvious that Ruby is more interested in applying English to writing her own stories, rather than research. What's the point?

Also, I noticed that other than Blakeney I haven't seen anything resembling a normal social life in her videos. Does Ruby drink? Has she had a romantic relationship before? Surely reading and living with her parents aren't more appealing to someone who's in their 20s.

• Sick

mooncat

She very much reminds me of Jack Edwards nowadays. They both built their whole personality on how ‘super intelligent’ they were in secondary school. The ego boost from doing YouTube made them delusional and thought it was certain they would get into Oxford. They don’t, it’s a massive kick in the teeth, and instead of addressing the unhealthy thought patterns and the pain of rejection they spend the next three years convincing their audience that they’re ‘SO much HAPPIER at DURHAM/EXETER and it was OBVIOUS that Oxford would NOT have been as good.’ However, they completely go back on that when they apply to Oxford for a masters, and surprise surprise, get rejected again. This second public face plant causes even more hurt but instead of ever really addressing it they crawl back to the legions of 14 year olds on YouTube who actually believe they study for 20 hours a day and read 300 books a week or whatever.
What is it with this Oxbridge obsession anyways? I don’t think there’s really one university in Germany that is as great and prestigious as Oxbridge, I would just apply to a handful and if I was rejected, fine, go to another one because there’s plenty of good ones. Oxbridge is obnoxiously expensive and it’s probably very unlikely you’d get in, soo why did everyone just decide it was the GOAT?
Sorry of this sounds stupid and absolutely no offence if you went there, but it’s something I‘ve always wondered with the studytubers

zoeanned

Off topic, but was she getting lots of hate comments on instagram from people who don’t follow her? I haven’t caught up on her in a while and wondered why she changed the ability to comment on her IG

jayley51

As Ruby avoids eating anything with even a trace of fat, that will leave her hair and skin extra dry.
I haven't watched all her videos, but are you sure about the no-fat deal? there are plenty of vegan-friendly food with fat: avocado, nuts, coconut, olive oil, chia seeds, dark chocolate, and flaxseeds. I got this info off a site, so that may not be all the info.

Nah hold on, following on from the last thread, who is this 17 year old she is hanging out with? Please tell me she’s a family friend and not one of her child followers that she’s befriended online?
I wondered if they were other YTers under 'Sixteenth' management, but "befriended online" seems more likely 😬

bananapeel

"As a 22 year old woman whyoo lyooks 76 and wishes she wahhr 11, moiy ideal audience is between the ages of 11-12.5 yaahrs old. Syo as you can see, I can't uplyoad a video at 5 pee amm, as that would premiere after their bedtoiyme, and after moiyne, tyoo! I wouldn't be able tyoo angage with the wohnderful and acksquisite farrst comments of moiy fans if it uplyoaded after 5 pee amm, because that whan mummy tucks me in and reads me 'The Little Conservative Who Could (Cut Funding to Schools and Libraries)' which is a beeyoootifol story."

The other day she claimed two of her favourite films were 'The Children Act' "because it explores the division between child and adult" (it's a legal drama which Ruby claimed was a Dark Academia movie/book, because she either hasn't watched/read it, doesn't know what Dark Academia is, or both) and 'Room' - a movie about being imprisoned in child's bedroom. Oh, and Little Women. If it's about or mentions children in the title, Ruby's all over it.

She has to be well aware that she's gone off the deep end with her obsession with childhood. She's back to trying to find literature that legitimises her childhood regression and creepy fixations rather than address and deal with them. She needs massive amounts of therapy and to move out and get a job.
Yeah "The children act" is technically about children, but the plot revolves more around a 17-year old Jehova's witness and his obsession over his court judge, oh and their weirdly inappropriate kiss of course. If Ruby really knew what the film was about, she'd know better that this doesn't fit into her interests. (unless she's really interested in sick children and kids chasing adults - how can someone have such interests :confused:)

Last edited:

vwxyz

I can see that everyone here is convinced Ruby never finishes/actually reads her books besiedes the children's books - are there any hidden proofs in her videos? Not that I disagree with you, but for me it's just a feeling that I have, although I think it could be possible that she actually reads what she claims to read.