Ruby Granger #25 Leaving all the books unread, chasing sponsorships instead

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m aware I am many many years away from my YA days but even so, the book title sounds like something aimed at 5 year olds. Although it wouldn’t be allowed to be titled like that because you’d be wanting to help children learn how to be friends and not categorise in such polarising ways. But isn’t YA fiction for tweens/teens?

Reactions: 10
the title is so weird tho. that’s what i would tell my cousin if she told me lottie made her do some stupid tit. it just doesn’t read well like a decent book title would, my brain kinda stumbled while reading it (yes it’s late and i know this doesn’t make sense but it’s the best explanation i could come up with)

Reactions: 7
Hmm...

The main character in the title of Ruby's book, Lottie, has the same name as one of the characters in the book "Am I Normal Yet?", which in the book description is said to be one of the inspirations and is similar in style. Ruby has 100% read this book, she also rated it 5 stars on Goodreads.

Coincidence much??? I don't think so.
Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 3.52.21 PM.png

For context, the description of Ruby's book where "Am I Normal Yet?" is mentioned.
Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 3.53.23 PM.png

Reactions: 15
I’m aware I am many many years away from my YA days but even so, the book title sounds like something aimed at 5 year olds. Although it wouldn’t be allowed to be titled like that because you’d be wanting to help children learn how to be friends and not categorise in such polarising ways. But isn’t YA fiction for tweens/teens?
books for 5 year olds is ruby preferred literary genre but it doesn’t work because the only people who buy it are her fans. that’s where i think it comes from

Hmm...

The main character in the title of Ruby's book, Lottie, has the same name as one of the characters in the book "Am I Normal Yet?", which in the book description is said to be one of the inspirations and is similar in style, meaning Ruby has 100% read this book.

Coincidence much??? I don't think so.
View attachment 1127734
but it contains adult topics like parties and relationships! ruby must’ve skipped the hell of it if she really read it

Reactions: 13
Normally just lurk on this thread.
I thought this name/title sounded vaguely familiar. There's a YA writer called Hayley Long who has novels called Lottie Biggs is Not Mad and What's Up With Jody Barton. Could be a coincidence though!
I can't remember exactly but I think I read somewhere that there are often books that come out close to one another with similar titles (eg. The seven husband's of Evelyn Hugo and The seven and a half deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle)

Reactions: 12
I can't remember exactly but I think I read somewhere that there are often books that come out close to one another with similar titles (eg. The seven husband's of Evelyn Hugo and The seven and a half deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle)
I can't stand the somewhat recent trend of putting the main character's full name in the title (The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, The Death of Vivek Oji, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, and these are only books I've read in the past few months)
Along with another insufferable trend, that is titles that go like "the/a X of X and X"

• Heart
Reactions: 33
I can't stand the somewhat recent trend of putting the main character's full name in the title (The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, The Death of Vivek Oji, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, and these are only books I've read in the past few months)
Along with another insufferable trend, that is titles that go like "the/a X of X and X"
And the academic title trend: "A, B, C (totally unrelated things) in the making of D". By the time you get to D, you've forgotten about B.

Reactions: 9
The "is a bad friend" part totally sounds to me like a book for toddlers that teaches them to be nice to others and not bully.
Seriously though! I think if she lowered her target demographic to 4-year olds instead of aiming at YA lit then she'd have a decent story to pitch. :p

I hate how the surname 'Parton' instantly brings up Dolly Parton thoughts. Dolly Parton would never be a bad friend, Ruby. Everyone knows this.

Do you recommend any of those? (asking because i'm looking for new books, sorry!)

I also got sick of the trend for titles that went like 'The X's Daughter' - someone once asked why the 'daughter' is always related to the character with the interesting job. 😆

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
The X is always unrelated too. It’s always The Valley of Blood and Storm and it’s a book about being the spy for the queen of some made up place.

I really hope Rooby Dooby Doo’s book is published because I would love to see how she would right an older character. How does she perceive teenagers to behave? Also, why is it important that the character is a straight-A student? It doesn’t tell us what the character’s personality is as many different people do well in school and it has nothing to do with someone’s mysterious disappearance.

Reactions: 10
Waiting impatiently for gossip guy's spoiler filled outline of the plot...

• Haha
Reactions: 20
She's going to continue publishing under the surname Granger? It makes sense to keep all of her channels and her book under one alias, but over time lots of influencers refer to themselves under their real names again.
I also wonder if there is any copyright problem with her using the surname Granger when it actively alludes to Hermione Granger. That name is trademarked, as far as I can tell. Sure the surname 'Granger' on its own is not, but she uses/used it to refer to Hermione Granger.
It's so odd to me, Bones is also a Harry Potter surname and is also just much cooler lol

Reactions: 19
(Erimentha) Parker and (Lottie) Parton are very similar to me, I can't wait for the heroine of her third book to be called Parlby or Parson as her last name.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
View attachment 1127644

The description box in her latest video reads like a parody.
Unique flavours where? All of their loose-leaf teas (never tried their teabags) taste so watered down and when you brew them for longer than the recommended 4 minutes, they just end up tasting bitter. 🙄 Either Ruby loves bland tea, or the teas she drinks in her videos isn't actually Bird & Blend tea at all.

Reactions: 11
Seriously though! I think if she lowered her target demographic to 4-year olds instead of aiming at YA lit then she'd have a decent story to pitch. :p

I hate how the surname 'Parton' instantly brings up Dolly Parton thoughts. Dolly Parton would never be a bad friend, Ruby. Everyone knows this.

Do you recommend any of those? (asking because i'm looking for new books, sorry!)

I also got sick of the trend for titles that went like 'The X's Daughter' - someone once asked why the 'daughter' is always related to the character with the interesting job. 😆
Plot twist - Lottie is actually Dolly Parton's lost daughter who she gave up to be raised at a boarding school. Lottie has matilda-like powers (but is way more obnoxious and cruel with them and forever reminding people how smart she is). The girl who went missing didn't actually go missing, she ran away to get away from Lottie's Big Brain and 'friendship' that consisted of her forcing her to watch the first Harry Potter film over and over every evening

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
Plot twist - Lottie is actually Dolly Parton's lost daughter who she gave up to be raised at a boarding school. Lottie has matilda-like powers (but is way more obnoxious and cruel with them and forever reminding people how smart she is). The girl who went missing didn't actually go missing, she ran away to get away from Lottie's Big Brain and 'friendship' that consisted of her forcing her to watch the first Harry Potter film over and over every evening
I wonder if Rob even enjoys the later Harry Potter films and books because of the increase in darker themes……which I thought made them better :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 7
From The Bookseller, the publishing industry's magazine. View attachment 1126807
There's so much wrong with this.

Like people have said, the title is a terrible fit for the content. You're supposed to be able to read a title and get a feel for the tone and content of the book.

The blurb is clearly going for YA dark macademia contemporary mystery. The title is one you'd give to a third-rate Heathers knock-off dark comedy about a girl killing off her friends, or a simplistic Jacqueline Wilson-esque children's book where a 9 year old learns the importance of sharing their lunchtime snacks. Even then, it's a crappy, generic title.

Lottie Parton sounds like the most toffish Tory name. The only thing missing is a double-barreled surname and a picture on the cover of her hunting pheasant outside Waitrose while spitting on a homeless person. Way to make the main character instantly dislikable even before the blurb confirms that she's just Ruby.

Other red flags:

Ruby's agent apparently has this out on submission even though she's got Ruby writing the book essentially from scratch. "Revise and resubmit" requests are fairly common from publishers, but it doesn't sound like Ruby's even at that stage yet, so it's mind-boggling that she's out on submission with a novel that's evidently a complete mess and her agent has no apparent confidence in the current quality of.

The content of the book is completely out of Ruby's wheelhouse. Ruby can barely string together a coherent thought, let alone craft a compelling mystery about modern teenagers.

No doubt it'll be set at an all-girl's boarding school so that Ruby doesn't have to attempt to write a male character. There'll be no romance other than the unintentional undertones of Ruby’s self-insert protagonist obsessing over missing Blakeney Clarke Binkleby Cooke. There'll only be paper thin stereotypes as characters because Ruby only associates with people like her and has utter disdain for anyone else, so she's incapable of writing a diverse, interesting or believable cast.

The 'Good Girl's Guide to Murder'/'Am I Normal Yet?' comparisons in the blurb raise major alarm bells. They're two of the only YA books she's read pretended to read, and I would imagine she's applying her essay-writing technique to novel-writing: Read the synopsis of a few popular dark macademia-adjacent YA books and cobble together a paint-by-numbers plot full of YA clichés, archetypes and tropes with another thinly-veiled Ruby/Erimentha character as the lead and all romance removed. That's exactly what she did with Erimentha when she ripped off a bunch of middle-grade books.

That or this is absolutely going to be ghostwritten, with some writing house doing all the heavy lifting to craft a rote, easily-marketable, completely forgettable YA thriller from Ruby's incomprehensible notes about her productivity and ED habits and "facts" about Victorian letter-writing. I really hope that's not the case; I want the unfiltered mess of Ruby cringe for us to hate-read, not a generic YA book with nothing to laugh at. They've given Ruby a busywork rewrite task to keep her feeble mind occupied while the adults do the actual work, a bit like when parents give a child a small plastic construction playset to play with while the adults do home renovation, to trick the toddler into thinking they're helping.

Also, they market this as Ruby’s "debut", when Erimentally Deranged is right there. They clearly don't want anyone reading that.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 37

The ones I enjoyed the most were Evelyn Hugo and Vivek Oji. Eleanor Oliphant was (completely) fine (lol) but nothing special, and I hated Addie LaRue.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.