Ruby Granger #25 Leaving all the books unread, chasing sponsorships instead

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has she mentioned why she's acting like she won't be going back for her Master's after her gap year?

Watching the video now and wow, she can't even be bothered to film a couple introductory sentences before starting the actual routine. The video is like 5 minutes long. It really feels like she hates doing YouTube at this point.

Reactions: 14
That was the most pointless video ever. She showed herself getting up at supposedly 7am at the latest and it takes her an hour and a half to:

-make herself smile for 30 seconds
- brush her teeth and read
- get dressed
- put in her contact lenses
- eat the breakfast Blakeney made for her
- cleanse and moisturise her face
- put in her contact lenses

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
How can she only have two weeks left of university? I am 95% sure the dissertation is due on April 1st, which is in three weeks. Granted I don't know much about term lengths the UK, but that seems really early for a term to end. Is she just going to submit her dissertation and then twirl around in her parents backyard until May or June when she gets her results/has graduation? Also, I know she likes to mess with the timeline of things in her videos, but how much of the dissertation do we think she has managed to write at this point? All I know is that if I had a big degree deciding assignment due in 2-3 weeks, I wouldn't be running home to mummy and daddy for the weekend. I would be at my desk writing.
Yeah, I'm so confused about her dissertation timeline. If I were her I'd be focusing on getting it written as quickly as possible. 8,000 words shouldn't take that long if you actually have a cohesive thesis and outline and understand the topic well. Either she's written it already or she's having someone write it for her at literally the last minute or is planning to extend her deadline into the summer. From her videos though, it seems like she's really messing about and hasn't done much real writing at all.

Reactions: 16
Either she's written it already or she's having someone write it for her at literally the last
Is there a way to know whether someone wrote it for her? Turnitin won't detect that, so IF someone writes it for her, there'd be no way of actually proving it.

Reactions: 3
Yeah, it's definitely not beneficial for Ruby overall to simply give in to being completely dependent on the presence of her parents and only being happy if she's home acting like a child (she looks absolutely miserable at all other times).

Acting like only going home two times in a month and a half is a major accomplishment, complete with smug, grinning Insta photo, is bizarre. She's acting like she just got her 1 month chip for staying clean from alcohol or a gambling addiction. It's insane.

View attachment 1121132
(Yes, Ruby, you really showed your critics bullies by only going home twice this term. Y'know, not counting all the family trips, meet-ups and Devon holidays inbetween that you failed to mention. Or the other times you went home that you just lied about and reposted old photos of your Exeter desk over the weekend to make it seem like you stayed at uni. But go you, you really showed everyone!)

Homesickness is normal. If you enjoy the company of your family and like to visit them often, that's cool, too. But there's a line, and a point where that becomes weird, worrying and totally impractical. For Ruby, it's massively detrimental to her independent growth. She's refused to spend time away from her family, and now she's practically incapable of spending time away from her family. University was her time to get used to independence and grow as a person. She's completely squandered the opportunity in every way.

Ruby neglects to mention that alongside running home from Exeter every single weekend, she almost always gets her parents to drive from Buckingham to Exeter to collect her and drive her home.

She also supplements her visits home by often dragging her parents to Devon so they're right next to Exeter and she can stay with them yet again (she did that again a week or so ago, which she naturally doesn't mention here). They're wealthy adults who I'm sure would love to travel somewhere new, and I highly doubt they'd be going to Devon every other week if Ruby weren't in Exeter stomping her feet and crying if they don't.

On the rare occasions she goes somewhere else, she gets her parents to drive hundreds of miles and several hours out of their way take her, even though she could easily get the train herself. And she preaches sustainability while making her parents burn tanks of petrol a week unnecessarily.

She sends a letter to her mother every single day, despite nothing worthwhile or notable happening in her life on a day-to-day basis, and even though she'll be seeing her mother that very weekend when or before the letters arrive. She has her mother put together expensive-to-ship care packages of commonplace bullshit from the kitchen like spices that she could easily buy from a shop in Exeter (or collect when she goes home days later).

That's not homesickness, it's more of her retreat-into-childhood, 'I'm an 11 year-old at boarding school!' cosplay nonsense. But the more she does it, the less equipped she'll be when the adult world comes knocking after graduation. And for someone who's constantly complaining about having not enough time and is falling behind on major uni work, wasting time on 6 hour round trips home should be the least of her priorities.

Her framing it like it's essential for her mental health to be with her parents constantly is either a massive red flag that she needs massive amounts of therapy, or (more likely) it's just her pre-empting criticism - it's for her mental health, so if anyone mentions how strange it is to be so compulsively dependent on the presence of her parents, they're bullies!

People aren't criticising you for being homesick at uni and going home often, Ruby. They're criticising you because you're a wealthy 21 year-old who claims to run a business and is a self-proclaimed master of productivity and planning - someone who as an influencer claims she's qualified to educate young people on all manner of things and how to live their life - and you can't function without your parents nearby every single day and can't do a single thing by yourself.

They make fun because you act like a spoilt child about the whole situation, expecting your parents drive across the country just to chaperone you everywhere, and looking like a petulant toddler about to burst into tears when you have to get the train by yourself:

View attachment 1121097

They comment on it because you lie about it so much, framing family outings as "solo trips" or just neglecting to mention that your parents were hovering off-camera. The recurring "my mummy and daddy drove me because they just happened to be in the neighbourhood, hundreds of miles from their home!" lie will never not be hilarious.
That photo always kills me off

• Haha
Reactions: 6
hey!! I'm new to this thread, but I just wanted to say I really don't get why Ruby is making her dissertation so much more complicated than it needs to be???? Like, it's really not that deep??😂 I graduated last year doing English Literature at a Russel Group university, and the dissertation was literally not that big of a deal. The way she is acting is as if she is doing a PhD!! She just needs to read some books, research some sources, get some stuff from literary reviews and be done with it😂 girly is doing TOO MUCH

• Haha
Reactions: 39
hey!! I'm new to this thread, but I just wanted to say I really don't get why Ruby is making her dissertation so much more complicated than it needs to be???? Like, it's really not that deep??😂 I graduated last year doing English Literature at a Russel Group university, and the dissertation was literally not that big of a deal. The way she is acting is as if she is doing a PhD!! She just needs to read some books, research some sources, get some stuff from literary reviews and be done with it😂 girly is doing TOO MUCH
A Russel Group University... You didn't go to Exeter as well? Or Oxford or Cambridge? Not that any of the other Russel Group Universities are any less significant..

Reactions: 1
I am supervising a bachelor dissertation for the first time this year and part of me feels bad that nobody is intervening in her weird quest for writing the most complicated and incoherent dissertation possible. Because if the student I supervise would hand in something like that (no overarching research question, arbitrary tangents, etc.) I'd feel like I have failed them.
Then I remember that Roobi probably wouldn't listen anyway and just believe that any suggestions made were on the grounds of 'regular' students whereas she is a genius whose dissertation will get published right away, so she won't be tied down by the small minded criticism of some minor academic assistant.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
I am supervising a bachelor dissertation for the first time this year and part of me feels bad that nobody is intervening in her weird quest for writing the most complicated and incoherent dissertation possible. Because if the student I supervise would hand in something like that (no overarching research question, arbitrary tangents, etc.) I'd feel like I have failed them.
Then I remember that Roobi probably wouldn't listen anyway and just believe that any suggestions made were on the grounds of 'regular' students whereas she is a genius whose dissertation will get published right away, so she won't be tied down by the small minded criticism of some minor academic assistant.
Exactly. Back in the day of doing my English Literature dissertation, we had a couple of check ins with a supervisor to advise us if we were going on wild tangents, etc. I remember coming out of my supervision realising I really needed to redraft my whole thing before it was too late. Ruby should be having that too, and she really needs to knuckle down and get on with it.

Reactions: 13
I didn't watch the 'study with me' livestream when it was first posted, so decided to skim bits of it now. While I understand that it's silly to expect a person to smile constantly when they're studying, it's true that Ruby looked miserable/angry the whole time. I had to turn it off after a few minutes because it felt like being in the room with a sulking person who is giving you the silent treatment, except for when they turn occasionally to glower at you. Is she okay?

Giving her the benefit of the doubt, perhaps this is just her resting face...

1647243279885.png

• Haha
Reactions: 17
There’s no way her dissertation is going to be the groundbreaking work she‘s hoping for, but I do think there’s a possibility that she’s further on and a lot more organised than it seems from her videos. She probably thinks it’s impressive to mention all the random and varied topics that she’s apparently discussing (“I was researching Carroll’s letters before breakfast and ended up reading 1400 pages about the theomagnetic implications of thermosociological and politico-ornithological disparities on late 23rd-century flutter-enhancing arbodermoporrology! I’m just so interested in everything! 🙈) and a lot of 13-year-olds would probably think that more topics = better essay, but I can’t imagine her actually thinking that this is the way to go about your research when you have such a small word limit. I think she thinks it makes her look clever to be researching things like genetic editing and Cicero, but given her previous essay marks and the fact that she’s been at uni for almost four years she must know how to structure an essay and what to include.

• Haha
Reactions: 34
It’s not just that she’s doing too much - the issue here is that all that she’s doing doesn’t make ANY sense at all! I did my dissertation last year, and my supervisor always made sure I kept all my research headed into a clear direction. I don’t understand what in the world Ruby is doing or why her supervisor hasn’t put her in check yet.

Reactions: 20
I didn't watched her content for a time now and ... How didn't she noticed that huge problem with her tights ?
1647254447536.png

• Sick
Reactions: 6
I don’t understand what in the world Ruby is doing or why her supervisor hasn’t put her in check yet.
We don't know what she has been saying to her supervisor - it's not outside the realm of posibility that she's been communicating a lot better with her supervisor than she lets on.

Reactions: 10
A Russel Group University... You didn't go to Exeter as well? Or Oxford or Cambridge? Not that any of the other Russel Group Universities are any less significant..
I didn't go to Oxbridge or Exeter😂, but I have experienced a challenging English Literature degree. Of course, the degree at Exeter will differ from my own, but regardless, Ruby's approach will not help her at all in the long run!

Reactions: 9
My friend who is on the bookclub discord said there is drama happening
Is anyone on here a member who could investigate

• Wow
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.