Ruby Granger #22 I can’t relate to Sun Tzu, and neither should you.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That's a sign that Ruby's probably much less of an unbearable, twirling fuckwit around other people in reality. So Blakeney probably just genuinely liked spending time with her at first and did so less and less the more obsessive and annoying Ruby gets, so now she's just likely biding her time until graduation, takes Ruby's presence in small doses and keeps to herself as much as she can.
This! My theory is, she was fascinated by Ruby at first, probably thought she was clever, wanted to spend more time with her, and by the time she realised what she’d gotten herself into, it was too late to get out of it in a polite way. She also seems a lot more easy-going, so Ruby probably doesn’t grate on her nearly as much as she would most of us.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Screenshot_20220116-093119_Instagram.jpg

Their tiles are so grotty. Why do they not employ someone to clean them if they're too lazy to do it themselves?

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 24
Considering how obsessed she is with the Victorian aesthetic and wanting to look like a child, I'm actually pretty surprised she never took interest into classic lolita fashion.
Uh oh don’t encourage use of the term “Lolita”, she’ll adopt that as her new identity/weird child obsession having never read the book and wildly misunderstanding the concept. “This is a most wonderful tale about a little girl and her most very favourite childminder…”

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 26
She (very coincidentally) just posted another story captioned 'last day at home'. You got a faster response than her paying customers!
'Last day at home'... until Friday when she heads home again.

I feel like posting things like this, countdowns until she leaves home and the like, are probably not that healthy for her - it makes a bigger deal out of it than it is, and therefore builds it up to something she really dreads. If she chilled out a bit and tried to take living in Exeter in her stride, she'd enjoy it so much more.

Reactions: 20

I feel like posting things like this, countdowns until she leaves home and the like, are probably not that healthy for her - it makes a bigger deal out of it than it is, and therefore builds it up to something she really dreads. If she chilled out a bit and tried to take living in Exeter in her stride, she'd enjoy it so much more.
It's a shame really. When I was a student I breathed a sigh of relief when I could arrive at my uni place after the Christmas break. I guess we will see how the dissertation goes this semester, will Ruby post lots of intense all nighters with alarm clocks in the foreground?

• Haha
Reactions: 23
I'm having a brain fart so can anyone tell me if she's tried these things to at least attempt to stay at uni (or this may give her ideas when she reads through.
1. a stuffed animal from home to help with sleep? (my partner works away a lot and this helps me personally)
2. a white noise machine
3. making a goal of just 30 days to stay no matter what (may help with home sickness)
4. Journaling, I journal a lot oand 90% of the time my emotions are eh and I get over it after writing
5. Joining a friends app like Bumble (IDK what they have in UK, but here Bumble has a friends only option)

I can probably think of more but eh.

Reactions: 13

I think that going home each weekend is actually a v bad idea when it comes to homesickness. It stops her from properly adjusting to uni life; just as she starts getting into a routine at Exeter it's interrupted by heading home again. Then, as you said, it feels like a bigger deal to wrench herself away from home and parents.

Honestly, this is probs an unpopular opnion here, but I feel a lot of sympathy with Ruby's anxiety about independence and her homesickness. If she is autistic to some degree then it would explain a lot of her struggles with this. I have an autistic friend who returned home every weekend (during a 4-year degree) and while I still think it's a bad plan, I guess it's better making a compromise than quitting university altogether.

When she went to Oxford w/the parents and was on her own for a short time it reminded me so much of the outings my parents/friends' parents would arrange when we were 11 and just beginning to go into town by ourselves. They'd do things like drop us off and let us wander around the town centre, then meet us after a couple of hours. Obviously Ruby isn't 11, but for all we know, it could be what her therapist recommended to build up her independence gradually? Just complete speculation here.

• Heart
I'm having a brain fart so can anyone tell me if she's tried these things to at least attempt to stay at uni (or this may give her ideas when she reads through.
1. a stuffed animal from home to help with sleep? (my partner works away a lot and this helps me personally)
2. a white noise machine
3. making a goal of just 30 days to stay no matter what (may help with home sickness)
4. Journaling, I journal a lot oand 90% of the time my emotions are eh and I get over it after writing
5. Joining a friends app like Bumble (IDK what they have in UK, but here Bumble has a friends only option)

I can probably think of more but eh.
1. She has one, she’s introduced us to Snowdrop many times.
2. She doesn’t need one, the whistling void that is her brain provides the noise.
3. She makes a lot of goals, doesn’t she, and then just changes them when she can’t stick to them
4. She journals constantly
5. Roobee doesn’t need friends, she has Blakeney.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Slightly OT but I know it comes up and has done just now about autism. We don’t know and won’t know. But one can’t be “a little bit autistic” or “autistic to some degree” just like you can’t be “a little bit OCD” or “a little bit pregnant”. You either are/have X or you aren’t/don’t. So much of Ruby’s online persona has been carefully created and developed over the years and now she is stuck being a little girl/Hermione whilst her peers have all grown up. Her being “gifted” academically has not lasted as she has moved away from the very small independent all girls not academic school to university where there are many more people, including men!, and where she is no longer top of the class. Her identity of studying and reading is falling apart as she doesn’t seem to enjoy either. And she is approaching the end of the road with this academic/school stuff and has, so it seems, nothing else in her life. No real friends, no independence. No interests or passions. No job prospects. No life experience. It is sad in some ways but it’s also of her own making. And I think she is far from the kind, sweet and innocent person she likes to portray online.

• Wow
Reactions: 14
Slightly OT but I know it comes up and has done just now about autism. We don’t know and won’t know. But one can’t be “a little bit autistic” or “autistic to some degree” just like you can’t be “a little bit OCD” or “a little bit pregnant”. You either are/have X or you aren’t/don’t.
Is that true though? Autism is often described as a spectrum and some people have more traits than others. :unsure:

• Heart

Completely agree - imho the best way to get over homesickness/anxiety is literally just to spend time at your uni town, do things you enjoy there, discover new things you wouldn't do/haven't done at home (yet), and build up your own routines over time. Just sticking with it and keeping busy, but also doing pleasurable things to build up good associations with the new place.

It takes time though, is the thing. And Ruby has less than half a year left at uni, so even if she does manage to finally get comfortable living at Exeter and being independent, she'll have to leave right after cause her degree will be finished lmao. And since she doesn't want to do a Master's right after (I think?), I have a bad feeling that she'll just call it a day and move back into her childhood bedroom after graduation. But we'll see I guess.

Reactions: 10
1. She has one, she’s introduced us to Snowdrop many times.
2. She doesn’t need one, the whistling void that is her brain provides the noise.
3. She makes a lot of goals, doesn’t she, and then just changes them when she can’t stick to them
4. She journals constantly
5. Roobee doesn’t need friends, she has Blakeney.
I can't remember who/ what Snowdrop is lmao. Everything else though

Reactions: 1

I wouldn’t say that I get “homesick” but I do get anxious at the transition from being at home to being at uni (and the other way round). But I get back into my uni routine within a couple of days. Ruby doesn’t give it long enough to properly have time at uni. Coming home for a couple of days every other week is too disruptive, that’s the point of having holidays that are usually longer at uni.

Reactions: 17
Is that true though? Autism is often described as a spectrum and some people have more traits than others. :unsure:
Yes. Autism is a spectrum but not a linear one like people imagine, so it’s not about being high or low along some autism scale. It comprises of a number of different areas which individuals differ on that are different to neurotypicals (I’m not explaining very well, but I work in mental health, where such assessments take place). You can have traits, like you may prefer things to be in order or you may like certain fabrics or textures etc. but this is very different to having a diagnosis of autism.

Reactions: 15
I think the longest she's stayed in Exeter continuously was about 3 weeks, but I don't think she was aiming for that - it was probably because her parents weren't available to pick her up or something like that.

She set herself a goal at the beginning of this academic year to 'not go home as often' and to 'appreciate living in Exeter', but then completely retconned that in favour of actually going home more often than previous years. Then she got defensive when even her fans started pointing out that she wasn't sticking to her original goals.

Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.