Ruby Granger #21 Dirty kitchen, messy car; I wonder where the planners are?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know literature is Ruby's whole Thing™, but it does make me wonder if she'd have been better suited to studying a different subject - maybe in the sciences or social sciences, where your arguments generally do have to be backed up by solid facts and statistics and evidence, and the exams tend to require more memorisation rather than going in blind and analysing an unseen text.
I disagree, she could have done well in a "soft" science like biology or economics but I think it would've been a disaster if she tried doing something like math, physics or engineering that involved abstract concepts.
Ruby mentioned that at some point she struggled with highschool math and she seems the type to study by brute memorization instead of understanding the concepts, which might work in school but not in uni.

A uni professor (engineering student here) told us that they often put one or two problems on the exam that usually only a few or none will be able to solve, because they require some degree of creative thinking. So it's not as easy as just learning the material and taking the exam.

Reactions: 6
Ruby needs to upload new content. It feels like we've had the Oxbridge discussion so many times 😭 where are you, Roobster?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Ruby went to a private girls day school however it’s not known for its academic rigour nor its oxbridge admissions. I expect it’s given a very good all round education and churns out nice young ladies too but I don’t think it’s an Oxbridge groomer like Eton, Westminster, Seven-Oaks and the big city private grammar schools et

ETA - article in the Spectator- https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-oxbridge-files

Reactions: 14
I can't see Ruby plagiarizing from Blakeney. Granted, I wouldn't have imagined her taking the Holocaust Charity's money (or the NHS's), or PlannerGate, or the ED baiting either...and I was totally wrong for all of them! But it still really doesn't seem Ruby-like. Even if I'm having to revise my earlier beliefs about her integrity, I think Ruby would tend to overvalue her own insights and undervalue those of her peers.
It depends on your definition of plagiarism, but Ruby has admitted to or unintentionally revealed that she does the following:
  • Reads and transcribes Sparknotes plot summaries and character descriptions into Notion before reading the text itself. A massive red flag that she doesn't read the book/play that was assigned.
  • Splitting secondary essay lists with Blakeney, each reading two essays apiece and swapping notes. Ruby says this is getting twice the results for half the work, but since Ruby's notes are proven drivel, this is a losing proposition for Blakeney, since she'd have to read all essays to make sense of Ruby's notes anyway.
  • Sharing Notion access with Blakeney and vice versa, so Ruby has access to all Blakeney's academic thoughts and ideas. Ruby also shares hers, but again, this is worthless for Blakeney.
  • Scheduling a "catch-up"/"debrief" session with Ruby immediately after every lecture and seminar to note down all Blakeney's thoughts and ideas.
  • Enrolled on all the same courses as Blakeney to ensure that she's be able to benefit from all of the above, since random students would just tell her to duck off if she tried this with them (as has pretty much been the case when Ruby moaned her ass off that members of one of the study groups she was part of did not have Notion for her to crib from).
  • Sends numerous, lengthy emails a week to her lecturers full of very leading questions, designed to coax out her lecturer's thoughts, ideas and stance on the essay question assigned.
Given the above, and her general obsession with critical reading, it's very clear that she doesn't read the core text or form her own opinion of it. She reverse engineers and essay from the thoughts and ideas of other people, instead of reading the text, coming up with an opinion herself and finding secondary material that supports and contrasts her ideas.

I'm sure she rewords all of the above extensively, so it may not be the clear definition of plagiarism, but she sure skirts the line as much as anyone can.

It also reinforces that she's learned absolutely nothing from the Oxford rejection. Instead of getting practiced and experienced with the core ability to apply original critical thought to unfamiliar material, she's just done everything she can to avoid using her head for anything but a beret holder.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 27
Private schools vary a lot in their Oxbridge preparation, and equally there are state schools who do a lot better than Ruby’s school. It’s not just about fee status!

Also, Oxbridge look at schools’ success rates before making offers, and adjust their scoring accordingly. So someone from a private school with great results might have to get higher interview scores than someone from a terrible state comp to meet the standard for a place. So nowadays it’s not entirely true that private school kids get their places handed to them - they have to work hard as well to meet those higher standards. Oxbridge look for people who have flourished under their own circumstances whatever those may be. That was ultimately Ruby’s flaw
They still make up over 40% of successful applicants when only 7% of pupils go to private schools. So yeah, its still heavily in their favour and the difference in interview scores etc just helps to close the gap. It's not as handed to them as it used to be, but statistically it is still easier for them

Reactions: 16
I disagree, she could have done well in a "soft" science like biology or economics but I think it would've been a disaster if she tried doing something like math, physics or engineering that involved abstract concepts.
Ruby mentioned that at some point she struggled with highschool math and she seems the type to study by brute memorization instead of understanding the concepts, which might work in school but not in uni.

A uni professor (engineering student here) told us that they often put one or two problems on the exam that usually only a few or none will be able to solve, because they require some degree of creative thinking. So it's not as easy as just learning the material and taking the exam.
I don't think she has issues with abstract thought, she originally chose Theology before switching to Eng Lit and she was very into philosophy as well? Which to me all seem like things that require you to grasp abstract concepts. Idk I hated both Math and Philosophy in high school and they always felt similar to me lol

Reactions: 3
I had friends who got into oxbridge that to me felt like they did a load of work for interview prep but even then it was just reading and expanding their horizons and I don't believe any folders were involved.

It must be mad coming from the prime demographic of oxbridge candidate and still not getting in despite all of the advantages. During Gcse and a level we had school trips and letters to remind us that oxbridge was an actual possibility for us and that people like us could go there. Even without all of the grooming to get in, those who were successful had enough nous to look up about the interviews etc and put in the right amount of work and planning to have good interviews etc. I don't see how if you are serious about applying and presumably have oxbridge teachers you wouldn't put yourself in interview situations and analyse poems yourself
because she doesnt work smart or receive criticism. that's why she fucks up so much. she thinks she knows best. even when it came to Oxford. she has to do things her way

Last edited:
It depends on your definition of plagiarism, but Ruby has admitted to or unintentionally revealed that she does the following:
  • Reads and transcribes Sparknotes plot summaries and character descriptions into Notion before reading the text itself. A massive red flag that she doesn't read the book/play that was assigned.
  • Splitting secondary essay lists with Blakeney, each reading two essays apiece and swapping notes. Ruby says this is getting twice the results for half the work, but since Ruby's notes are proven drivel, this is a losing proposition for Blakeney, since she'd have to read all essays to make sense of Ruby's notes anyway.
  • Sharing Notion access with Blakeney and vice versa, so Ruby has access to all Blakeney's academic thoughts and ideas. Ruby also shares hers, but again, this is worthless for Blakeney.
  • Scheduling a "catch-up"/"debrief" session with Ruby immediately after every lecture and seminar to note down all Blakeney's thoughts and ideas.
  • Enrolled on all the same courses as Blakeney to ensure that she's be able to benefit from all of the above, since random students would just tell her to duck off if she tried this with them (as has pretty much been the case when Ruby moaned her ass off that members of one of the study groups she was part of did not have Notion for her to crib from).
  • Sends numerous, lengthy emails a week to her lecturers full of very leading questions, designed to coax out her lecturer's thoughts, ideas and stance on the essay question assigned.
Given the above, and her general obsession with critical reading, it's very clear that she doesn't read the core text or form her own opinion of it. She reverse engineers and essay from the thoughts and ideas of other people, instead of reading the text, coming up with an opinion herself and finding secondary material that supports and contrasts her ideas.

I'm sure she rewords all of the above extensively, so it may not be the clear definition of plagiarism, but she sure skirts the line as much as anyone can.

It also reinforces that she's learned absolutely nothing from the Oxford rejection. Instead of getting practiced and experienced with the core ability to apply original critical thought to unfamiliar material, she's just done everything she can to avoid using her head for anything but a beret holder.
if she gets a first, half of it is Blakeney’s!

• Haha
Reactions: 17
if she gets a first, half of it is Blakeney’s!
I’m not sure how she will cope if she doesn’t get a first - or, as has been said previously, how she will cope when she is no longer a student. I don’t think she has a genuine interest in academic study, but is focused on ‘external validation’, such as receivinga good grade.

I was watching one of her old videos earlier and found it so cringeworthy when she referred to her lecturers as ‘teachers’. I don’t think they would regard this as a compliment and that’s in no way intended to dismiss the great work many teachers do.

Reactions: 13
I don't think she has issues with abstract thought, she originally chose Theology before switching to Eng Lit and she was very into philosophy as well? Which to me all seem like things that require you to grasp abstract concepts. Idk I hated both Math and Philosophy in high school and they always felt similar to me lol
By abstract concepts I meant stuff like algebraic structure or topology, I think what you're talking about is logic (I remember having a logic unit in both subjects).

By abstract concepts I meant stuff like algebraic structure or topology, I think what you're talking about is logic (I remember having a logic unit in both subjects).
I wasn't referring to logic, both subjects (math and philosophy) always felt very abstract and theoretical to me and that was the reason I didn't like either. On the other hand Ruby seems to like philosophy and theology so I don't think abstract thought specifically would be the issue

Reactions: 1
For those that don't frequent the Jack Edwards thread, I went back to the Goodreads reviews for Vee's book after it was brought up there and I noticed something that I didn't catch before...

Well, I'll just leave this here:

Untitled8998456.jpg

Untitled89798798.jpg

Untitled899m8456.jpg

Untitled8979879978.jpg

So, Ruby and Jack both got the book on December 8th at Vee's book launch.

Both claim to have finished the book and posted their suspiciously vague, overwhelmingly positive reviews (which contain no mention of their links to Vee or that they share the same management agency) on the exact same morning, less than two hours apart.

Add in the fact that Ruby was clearly "reading" the book long after this time on her latest vlog...

original.gif

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 42
I kinda want her to get rejected for her masters to see if that makes her spiral and snap into getting therapy or not.
Yeah, I can't decide whether watching her being rejected for a Master's or watching her get accepted and then sinking without trace, is going to be the most entertaining There is, of course, the very unlikely option of her attempting to enter the workforce, which will be comedy gold. She'll have to go home every lunchtime, even although it will be a three hour round trip. If she's asked to make someone a coffee she'll insist on donning her Victorian maid costume. And then, inevitably, she'll quit, claiming everyone was "bullying" her because they asked her to do work and didn't want to listen to her BS.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
For those that don't frequent the Jack Edwards thread, I went back to the Goodreads reviews for Vee's book after it was brought up there and I noticed something that I didn't catch before...

View attachment 964853
View attachment 964858
View attachment 964859
View attachment 964861

Both claim to have finished the book and posted their suspiciously vague, overwhelmingly positive reviews (which contain no mention of their links to Vee or that they share the same management agency) on the exact same morning, less than two hours apart.

Add in the fact that Ruby was clearly "reading" the book long after this time on her latest vlog...

View attachment 964889
Really, I wouldn't be surprised if sixteenth (the management company) or Vee had a few guidelines for their contracted studytubers (Ruby, Jack, Jade etc) to put down in their reviews promoting it since it's probably not going to be a best seller. I'll bet it's at the request of sixteenth rather than Vee though.

Reactions: 11
Really, I wouldn't be surprised if sixteenth (the management company) or Vee had a few guidelines for their contracted studytubers (Ruby, Jack, Jade etc) to put down in their reviews promoting it since it's probably not going to be a best seller. I'll bet it's at the request of sixteenth rather than Vee though.
Oh, definitely. Vee likely just left her management to promote her/the book launch however they wanted.

But this absolutely seems like Sixteenth asked/told Jack and Ruby at the same time to write positive reviews, and they both agreed and did it, even though both of them clearly haven't read the book.

And given that Holly was also waving the book around on camera that same week (despite owning it since the 8th), it absolutely looks like Sixteenth were pushing their talent to plug it that week without declaring their ties or reading the book.

If they'd told all their talent to include a clear ad in their content, that'd be one thing, but avoiding mentioning all business links and conflicts of interest and presenting this advertisement and fake reviews as a natural part of their days or something they read of their own volition is shady as hell.

Reactions: 23
Oh, definitely. Vee likely just left her management to promote her/the book launch however they wanted.

But this absolutely seems like Sixteenth asked/told Jack and Ruby at the same time to write positive reviews, and they both agreed and did it, even though both of them clearly haven't read the book.

And given that Holly was also waving the book around on camera that same week (despite owning it since the 8th), it absolutely looks like Sixteenth were pushing their talent to plug it that week without declaring their ties or reading the book.

If they'd told all their talent to include a clear ad in their content, that'd be one thing, but avoiding mentioning all business links and conflicts of interest and presenting this advertisement and fake reviews as a natural part of their days or something they read of their own volition is shady as hell.
This may be a little off topic, so let me know if I should delete this or not. But..it's odd to me that the other contracted Youtubers by sixteenth (such as Eleanor Neale) don't nearly seem to have as many screw-ups with their merch, etc compared to the studytubers. I wonder if sixteenth sees them all as a "low yield" type of deal and treats them differently.

I kinda want her to get rejected for her masters to see if that makes her spiral and snap into getting therapy or not.
I think she quit going to therapy because she convinced herself that her therapist was bullying her, right at the moment when she needed it the most.

She probably brought up how abnormal her eating habits are and how often she goes back home, despite it being a three hour journey from Exeter and Ruby felt attacked and fled. If there's no praise in it for her, she doesn't want a part in it.

Reactions: 8

View attachment 964853
View attachment 964858
View attachment 964859
View attachment 964861

View attachment 964889
Vee, a "powerhouse"? Lmao. People use that word to describe people like Michelle Obama. Not a boring youtuber with no real accomplishments besides inflating her own ego and gaming the system to get into Oxford.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
This may be a little off topic, so let me know if I should delete this or not. But..it's odd to me that the other contracted Youtubers by sixteenth (such as Eleanor Neale) don't nearly seem to have as many screw-ups with their merch, etc compared to the studytubers. I wonder if sixteenth sees them all as a "low yield" type of deal and treats them differently.
I think the major difference is that Ruby and Jack both allowed Sixteenth to own and manage their merch stores for them directly, where Eleanor and other influencers didn't.

They run everything for Pumpkin Productivity and Ink Outside the Box in-house, they source the cheapest possible suppliers and clearly opted for an inexperienced, ill-equipped manufacturer and suppliers to keep costs very low and maximise profits - profits that Sixteenth will take a huge cut of because they own and run the businesses.

That's why both Ruby and Jack usually have all the same issues with delays, customer service problems and printing issues and why both of their stationery companies have an embarrassing lack of product variety (Jack's stationery company is named 'Ink Outside the Box', yet sells no pens, because the cheap-as-tit manufacturers chosen by Sixteenth couldn't offer those as a product). Both share the same cheap manufacturers and customer service teams (which is likely just an underpaid Sixteenth intern checking emails), so they share the same issues, although I'd wager resources are prioritised for Jack's company since it's much more successful.

The other merch brands they've tried to run in-house quickly died for all the same reasons. Remember Eve Cornwell's 'Millennial Coffee Co.' - her attempt at copying Emma Chamberlain? It swiftly died because she let Sixteenth manage it, and they just sourced a manufacturer who made cheap hoodies and tumbler cups, but naturally couldn't provide coffee.

Other influencers at Sixteenth appear to run their own merch stores or have outsourced them to much more capable companies.

Looking at Eleanor Neale, her merch store has no ties to Sixteenth and is run by Upload Merchandise, who handle merch stores for a bunch of influencers. It might be the case that Sixteenth set this partnership up for Eleanor if she didn't arrange it herself. And Sixteenth very likely still get a cut of sales depending on the terms of Eleanor's management contract, but they'll be taking a much smaller cut compared to Jack or Ruby's companies, and since they have no real involvement and there's professional, experienced merch company handling things with their own dedicated customer service, she avoids all the issues that Ruby and Jack have saddled themselves with.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.