Ruby Granger #21 Dirty kitchen, messy car; I wonder where the planners are?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She might think Cambridge would be easier to get into.
She’d be very wrong thinking that! My friend did her masters at Cambridge and the interview was gruelling and required a lot of analytical thinking about random stuff my friend didn’t know anything about. Again, it’s about wanting to see your ability to think critically and develop your own ideas, even if you know nothing about whatever they’re asking about! I can’t see Ruby managing it at all. (Proud friend alert: my friend did get in and graduated with a distinction, but the workload was relentless for the entire year).
(Edited for typos!)

• Heart
Reactions: 20
She’d be very wrong thinking that! My friend did her masters at Cambridge and the interview was gruelling and required a lot of analytical thinking about random stuff my friend didn’t know anything about. Again, it’s about wanting to see your ability to think critically and develop your own ideas, even if you know nothing about whatever they’re asking about! I can’t see Ruby managing it at all. (Proud friend alert: my friend did get in and graduated with a distinction, but the workload was relentless for the entire year).
(Edited for typos!)
Congratulations to your friends! That's amazing. Yh I don't think Ruby would cope with the workload.

Reactions: 5
This isn't entirely a bad thing - you are supposed to read and engage with secondary criticism after all, and seminar discussions where everyone bounces ideas off each other are a core part of a literature degree for a reason.
It's a part of a literature degree, because it is intended to enable you to develop your critical reasoning. Engaging with other sources allows you to test your own reading of a text, and also to challenge these secondary sources, or to expand on their propositions.

Obviously, I haven't read any of grubby Rubby's work, but both her approach to her Oxford interview, and what I've seen of her approach to her degree (including her arguing with the critiques she's received from her tutors) suggests she has not developed the critical skills a Master's - or even an undergraduate degree - demands. She merely marshals everyone else's for views, and then just reflects this back, rather than critiquing that information, taking issue with it, or using it as a tool to support her own thesis. The whole concept of original research will therefore be beyond her.

Reactions: 14
I can't see Ruby plagiarizing from Blakeney. Granted, I wouldn't have imagined her taking the Holocaust Charity's money (or the NHS's), or PlannerGate, or the ED baiting either...and I was totally wrong for all of them! But it still really doesn't seem Ruby-like. Even if I'm having to revise my earlier beliefs about her integrity, I think Ruby would tend to overvalue her own insights and undervalue those of her peers.

Reactions: 2
She’s removed the rubygrangervegan account out of her bio AND deleted a lot of posts from said account, more specifically the recent ones which had a lot of comments discussing her eating habits and triggering posts.
Let's hope that she deactivates the account altogether because it's still full of triggering posts 🙃

Screenshot_20220104-164022_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20220104-163829_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20220104-163811_Instagram.jpg

Reactions: 1
I have a strange feeling she’ll go to Cambridge for her masters - she’s mentioned liking the course before and her ego prevents her from trying again at something she’s already failed at
This was a few years ago but I looked at Cambridge for a Masters and one of the things that put me off (apart from the £25k cost for the course I wanted to do 🙄) was the fact that I’m sure there was a stipulation that whilst doing the course you had to live within 25 miles of the university - and the thought of the accommodation cost on top of the fees just meant it was a no-go for me. I may be misremembering but whilst I’m sure the money won’t be an issue for Ruby, she might not manage well if she ‘has’ to live somewhere and it won’t be quite so easy to go home all the time …

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
What surprises me about the whole Oxford fiasco is I've always been under the impression that private schools, particularly the really reputable ones, basically groom students to ace the Oxbridge interview/application process in a way that state schools never do. I'd be really surprised if Ruby didn't have dedicated lessons on how to get into those unis, either within school or with private tutors. So the fact she messed up the interview so badly despite her massively privileged education really just shows how much she DOESN'T belong at a university like that.

Reactions: 31
In an attempt to make Ruby's questionable dress sense less of a talking point, the Bones family insisted on a fancy dress theme for their New Year's Eve party.
Screenshot_20220104-172558_Instagram.jpg

Here is Ruby, drinking her scholor:
Screenshot_20220104-172542_Instagram.jpg

It's nice that that creepy commentor from Youtube has found Mother Granger's insta page. What solid advice he gives
Screenshot_20220104-172533_Instagram.jpg

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 22
Penultimate H definitely comes across as precisely the kind of creep you attract when you act like a toddler.

Which is why I keep telling myself they’re just a very dedicated troll.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
What surprises me about the whole Oxford fiasco is I've always been under the impression that private schools, particularly the really reputable ones, basically groom students to ace the Oxbridge interview/application process in a way that state schools never do. I'd be really surprised if Ruby didn't have dedicated lessons on how to get into those unis, either within school or with private tutors. So the fact she messed up the interview so badly despite her massively privileged education really just shows how much she DOESN'T belong at a university like that.
[tl;dr of this is needlessly personal information about my experience of an Oxford application, feel free to skip haha]

I don't know anything about the private school system, but I was lucky enough to get support from my school when I applied to Oxford (the same year as Ruby, coincidentally). A lot of it was encouragement to think out loud if I didn't know the answer to a question and articulate each step in my thought process (instead of just saying 'um, uuuh, hmmmm' before I arrived at a full and complete answer, which I would have done otherwise!). I think it's likely that Ruby never practised this skill, particularly with respect to literature.

I also watched a huge number of example interviews online - not just for my subject - which hammered it into my head that I wasn't going to ace every single answer for every single question, so when I did trip up in my interview, it didn't completely throw me off. I imagine that once she got caught up in her own head about it, she couldn't quite get back on track. I don't think her school prepared her for it to not go smoothly, even though few people have a perfect interview.

tl;dr - I think there's only so much that schools can teach you, in the way that Ruby absorbed knowledge and then repeated it back. The preperation takes practise, making mistakes, doing badly, trying again, getting better - a process I'm sure she wasn't familiar with.

I'm sure the system is different in private schools, but as has already been stated, Oxbridge look for people who are passionate and thoughtful beyond a syllabus. Ruby was probably praised all her life for being book-smart, and I don't think she ever would have reflected on how different an Oxford interview would be.

Reactions: 10
the thing is, especially since good old’ pen is watching all her videos it would not at all be difficult for him to find out where she lives. if he really is more than just a bot i’d be really worried. but yeah nevermind because ruby’s dad always tracks her i guess

Reactions: 9
I kinda want her to get rejected for her masters to see if that makes her spiral and snap into getting therapy or not.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I know literature is Ruby's whole Thing™, but it does make me wonder if she'd have been better suited to studying a different subject - maybe in the sciences or social sciences, where your arguments generally do have to be backed up by solid facts and statistics and evidence, and the exams tend to require more memorisation rather than going in blind and analysing an unseen text.
I've been lurking for a while but had this thought after the conversations here recently. I always get a sense she enjoys the history side of things a lot more, especially with all these victorian videos, and wonder if something more specific to history would suit her going forward. Whether that be further study or a job. No idea if this is something she mentions though, I don't watch her or pay attention enough to have picked up on this!

I've watched Ruby for a few years now and really enjoyed her videos during her first year of uni (before she changed her course) but feel like her videos have stagnated a bit content wise and don't really interest me anymore. I'm also at a completely different stage in life than her but I can tell she's definitely clinging on to those last few years of almost structured life (i.e. uni, still going home etc). I'm interested to see if she goes straight into a masters or has some time out from studying... what what that might look like for her content wise?

Reactions: 10
I kinda want her to get rejected for her masters to see if that makes her spiral and snap into getting therapy or not.
I think she mentioned in a video that she goes to therapy, but I don't know how she would cope getting rejected from Oxford a second time.

Reactions: 2
You're in luck, there's an old video on Ruby's channel where she describes her interview and rejection experience in detail - it's called "I let my Oxford application define my self worth || Why I think I was Rejected". In it, she says that her first interview went very badly cause she was given an unseen poem to analyze. She had 10 minutes to read the poem and then she was asked to talk about her thoughts on the poem but she "did not have even one tiny little thought" about it (her words, not mine) which she said was due to an anxiety attack. So during the interview, she had no idea what to say and was just repeating what the interviewers said. She also did not know what the word "brine" meant so she asked the interviewers what it meant and that didn't make a good impression.

So a far cry from Ruby lecturing the interviewers actually - in fact I still feel kind of bad for her for that cause she was clearly under so much internal pressure and so out of her depth. Especially since she also said that 'ever since Year 12', she spent an hour every evening (!) doing "preparation work" for her Oxford interviews which is just kind of sad if you ask me. I don't think you're supposed to do this much preparation for these interviews in the first place.
I had friends who got into oxbridge that to me felt like they did a load of work for interview prep but even then it was just reading and expanding their horizons and I don't believe any folders were involved.

It must be mad coming from the prime demographic of oxbridge candidate and still not getting in despite all of the advantages. During Gcse and a level we had school trips and letters to remind us that oxbridge was an actual possibility for us and that people like us could go there. Even without all of the grooming to get in, those who were successful had enough nous to look up about the interviews etc and put in the right amount of work and planning to have good interviews etc. I don't see how if you are serious about applying and presumably have oxbridge teachers you wouldn't put yourself in interview situations and analyse poems yourself

Reactions: 13
She probably thinks it's a type of tea
She'd probably thinks it's called English Brexit tea :ROFLMAO:

I've just been watching R.C. Wa<ldun's newest video about New Year's Resolutions and morning routines (or lack thereof) and omg, how different from Ruby's toxic productivity nonsense is this?

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Private schools vary a lot in their Oxbridge preparation, and equally there are state schools who do a lot better than Ruby’s school. It’s not just about fee status!

Also, Oxbridge look at schools’ success rates before making offers, and adjust their scoring accordingly. So someone from a private school with great results might have to get higher interview scores than someone from a terrible state comp to meet the standard for a place. So nowadays it’s not entirely true that private school kids get their places handed to them - they have to work hard as well to meet those higher standards. Oxbridge look for people who have flourished under their own circumstances whatever those may be. That was ultimately Ruby’s flaw

Last edited:
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.