Ruby Granger #21 Dirty kitchen, messy car; I wonder where the planners are?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Also a while ago I found out through reddit that there used to be a Wikipedia page on Ruby, but that it was removed. The way they phrased the reason why they removed it was so funny to me:
Screenshot_20211231-132717_Chrome.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 40
She’s removed the rubygrangervegan account out of her bio AND deleted a lot of posts from said account, more specifically the recent ones which had a lot of comments discussing her eating habits and triggering posts.

Reactions: 19
I was watching Ruby's weekly routine at university video and Blakely didn't look happy when Ruby was videoing her and I was surprised to see she has other friends.

Reactions: 10
That's exactly it. Her gigantic sense of entitlement used to put me off and annoy me but I feel kinda sorry for her. Sure, she's still annoying as heck but man, all those resources and money and wealth and whatnot and Ruby still bases her self-worth on an internalized to-do list of academic "success." Ruby doesn't need Oxford, Ruby needs therapy.
What surprised me about her video reflecting on her Oxford rejection was her comment that not getting accepted by Oxford was the FIRST TIME she had ever faced failure. What a sheltered existence to reach the age of 17 and not be confronted by her own limitations. By age 17 most of us have failed at something - whether it is not winning a sporting fixture, or being rejected romantically, or not getting the job we applied for. It's little surprise that she is so mentally fragile that she runs home at the first sign of pressure, and wants to return to the safe haven of childhood where reality never intrudes. If she fails to get a first and her friend Blakeney does, she is going to have a full scale melt down.

Reactions: 29
I have a strange feeling she’ll go to Cambridge for her masters - she’s mentioned liking the course before and her ego prevents her from trying again at something she’s already failed at

Reactions: 28
What surprised me about her video reflecting on her Oxford rejection was her comment that not getting accepted by Oxford was the FIRST TIME she had ever faced failure. What a sheltered existence to reach the age of 17 and not be confronted by her own limitations. By age 17 most of us have failed at something - whether it is not winning a sporting fixture, or being rejected romantically, or not getting the job we applied for. It's little surprise that she is so mentally fragile that she runs home at the first sign of pressure, and wants to return to the safe haven of childhood where reality never intrudes. If she fails to get a first and her friend Blakeney does, she is going to have a full scale melt down.
Yh what a sheltered life she's had. By 17 I had failed most exams which I can't imagine Ruby doing. She said in a video once that she doesn't judge people who don't do well academically but I bet she does. She would be judging people like me who didn't do well in school and didn't go to university straight after school.

I have a strange feeling she’ll go to Cambridge for her masters - she’s mentioned liking the course before and her ego prevents her from trying again at something she’s already failed at
She might think Cambridge would be easier to get into.

Reactions: 10
We talked about Ruby's Oxford experience in Thread 18.

Basically she shot herself in the foot (and harmed the chances of any of her viewers who were also applying) by trying to memorize her way past the Oxford interview, even though it is designed to show how you think and not what you know. Ruby would have come across this point, since she was obsessed with getting in for years, but clearly ignored it. It contradicted how she had built up her own Hermione-like identity on showing off what she knew. A lot of those 14 hour study days involved repeated rote memorization.

And unsurprisingly the memorization approach did not help her at all when she was given an unseen poem. It screwed her over because i) it took up time she could have spent practising thinking on her feet under pressure, e.g. picking a new poem at random to evaluate under timed conditions, and ii) it gave her a false sense of security, a belief that she was fully prepared to sail through and impress the tutors. And so when the moment came that she suddenly realized her years of prep meant absolutely nothing, she panicked. Doing no prep would have been better than the approach Ruby took (and promoted to her followers).

But I've said before that not getting in was a blessing for Ruby, since her study approach was incompatible with the pace of the Oxford term and I don't think she was capable of adapting to it back then. She wouldn't have been ready either for the tutorial format - there isn't the time to memorize and rehearse for each tutorial! They are a way for the tutor to teach you, not a way for the tutor to test how much you already know, but I suspect Ruby, having only recently written Erimentha, would still see it as a test every time. And lastly, since her final A-level grades were lower than she expected, at least she was saved the heartbreak of missing her offer.

If she has a decent plan for a Masters thesis and approaches the application differently, her chances might be better this time. But I really do not think it is the right thing for Ruby to do now, mental health wise.

Reactions: 20
I personally don't think Ruby has the balls to apply again for her Master's degree. She's too afraid of rejection and failure to try it again when she's been rejected before.

Reactions: 11
We talked about Ruby's Oxford experience in Thread 18.

Basically she shot herself in the foot (and harmed the chances of any of her viewers who were also applying) by trying to memorize her way past the Oxford interview, even though it is designed to show how you think and not what you know. Ruby would have come across this point, since she was obsessed with getting in for years, but clearly ignored it. It contradicted how she had built up her own Hermione-like identity on showing off what she knew. A lot of those 14 hour study days involved repeated rote memorization.

And unsurprisingly the memorization approach did not help her at all when she was given an unseen poem. It screwed her over because i) it took up time she could have spent practising thinking on her feet under pressure, e.g. picking a new poem at random to evaluate under timed conditions, and ii) it gave her a false sense of security, a belief that she was fully prepared to sail through and impress the tutors. And so when the moment came that she suddenly realized her years of prep meant absolutely nothing, she panicked. Doing no prep would have been better than the approach Ruby took (and promoted to her followers).

But I've said before that not getting in was a blessing for Ruby, since her study approach was incompatible with the pace of the Oxford term and I don't think she was capable of adapting to it back then. She wouldn't have been ready either for the tutorial format - there isn't the time to memorize and rehearse for each tutorial! They are a way for the tutor to teach you, not a way for the tutor to test how much you already know, but I suspect Ruby, having only recently written Erimentha, would still see it as a test every time. And lastly, since her final A-level grades were lower than she expected, at least she was saved the heartbreak of missing her offer.

If she has a decent plan for a Masters thesis and approaches the application differently, her chances might be better this time. But I really do not think it is the right thing for Ruby to do now, mental health wise.
Tbh she wouldn't have missed her offer for Oxford if they gave her an offer because she say's she got A*AA and on the course at Oxford they ask for AAA.

Reactions: 3
I personally don't think Ruby has the balls to apply again for her Master's degree. She's too afraid of rejection and failure to try it again when she's been rejected before.
More importantly, I don't think she has the wherewithal to see a Master's through to a conclusion without Blakeney doing half the work for her. If she is going to apply, she needs to find a taught Master's and not one that is 100% research.

I don't think she will post online about her application until she actually secures a place. I think she applied to Lincoln (it looked like Lincoln anyway, as you could see the top of the library from her room window) for her undergrad degree, so she may try a different college this time.

Reactions: 11
More importantly, I don't think she has the wherewithal to see a Master's through to a conclusion without Blakeney doing half the work for her. If she is going to apply, she needs to find a taught Master's and not one that is 100% research.

I don't think she will post online about her application until she actually secures a place. I think she applied to Lincoln (it looked like Lincoln anyway, as you could see the top of the library from her room window) for her undergrad degree, so she may try a different college this time.
Do you think Blakeney does half her work for her undergrad?

Reactions: 3
Welp, I'm doing another Ruby-
I saved up enough money to buy the macbook I always wanted. Been wanting one for years.

Now I have a lone Windows laptop sitting around collecting dust.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Welp, I'm doing another Ruby-
I saved up enough money to buy the macbook I always wanted. Been wanting one for years.

Now I have a lone Windows laptop sitting around collecting dust.
HAHAHA I did the same a few months ago and honestly I have no regrets :cool: Wanted a macbook for years and I'm so glad I finally got one hehe at least my old laptop isn't covered in dead flies or mold but I gave it to my dad 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I think Blakeney doing all the work is somewhat hyperbolic, but Ruby definitely relies a lot on the input of other people when it comes to analysing texts. They regularly sit down and discuss the reading together, and I'll bet Ruby makes notes on everything Blakeney mentions that she hadn't thought of herself, and probably does the same thing in office hours and study groups. That, coupled with the amount of secondary scholarship she reads before a seminar class and the fact that she definitely uses Sparknotes, means that the vast majority of her work is probably based on points other people have come up with, rather than her own unique opinions.

This isn't entirely a bad thing - you are supposed to read and engage with secondary criticism after all, and seminar discussions where everyone bounces ideas off each other are a core part of a literature degree for a reason. However, the way Ruby specifically goes about it does seem to tie into her general approach to studying, i.e. collecting large amounts of facts and points to regurgitate as needed rather than necessarily doing much of her own in-depth analysis.

I know literature is Ruby's whole Thing™, but it does make me wonder if she'd have been better suited to studying a different subject - maybe in the sciences or social sciences, where your arguments generally do have to be backed up by solid facts and statistics and evidence, and the exams tend to require more memorisation rather than going in blind and analysing an unseen text.

Last edited:
Reactions: 20
Okay this might be my personal experience but I don't think it's that rare to not have experienced failure by 17. She probably already experienced some sort of failure (like not having many friends) but it didn't matter to her as much as the Oxford admission.

I also got to 17 without having failed at anything. In highschool I got consistently good grades, I was decent at the extracurriculars without putting much effort and I barely had any confrontations with people. I'm glad I failed both the driving test and some uni exams at 18 because otherwise I would still be a very sensitive person.

Reactions: 6
She's told us as much. That they divide the allocated critical reading up between them and 'share' their notes, and we've seen her meeting Blakeney prior to seminars so she can get prepped. I find it very difficult to believe that she and Blakeney independently picked the same modules to study this year. The dissertation and any exams - that are actually conducted under exam conditions - are really going to expose Ruby.

Okay this might be my personal experience but I don't think it's that rare to not have experienced failure by 17. She probably already experienced some sort of failure (like not having many friends) but it didn't matter to her as much as the Oxford admission.

I also got to 17 without having failed at anything. In highschool I got consistently good grades, I was decent at the extracurriculars without putting much effort and I barely had any confrontations with people. I'm glad I failed both the driving test and some uni exams at 18 because otherwise I would still be a very sensitive person.
Wow. I used to be a competitive sprinter, so by aged 17 I had failed quite a number of times. I'd also been romantically rejected a number of times. Then again, I had a full time job when I was aged 17. (oh woe is me!)

Reactions: 9
I think Blakeney doing all the work is somewhat hyperbolic, but Ruby definitely relies a lot on the input of other people when it comes to analysing texts. They regularly sit down and discuss the reading together, and I'll bet Ruby makes notes on everything Blakeney mentions that she hadn't thought of herself, and probably does the same thing in office hours and study groups. That, coupled with the amount of secondary scholarship she reads before a seminar class and the fact that she definitely uses Sparknotes, means that the vast majority of her work is probably based on points other people have come up with, rather than her own unique opinions.

This isn't entirely a bad thing - you are supposed to read and engage with secondary criticism after all, and seminar discussions where everyone bounces ideas off each other are a core part of a literature degree for a reason. However, the way Ruby specifically goes about it does seem to tie into her general approach to studying, i.e. collecting large amounts of facts and points to regurgitate as needed rather than necessarily doing much of her own in-depth analysis.

I know literature is Ruby's whole Thing™, but it does make me wonder if she'd have been better suited to studying a different subject - maybe in the sciences or social sciences, where your arguments generally do have to be backed up by solid facts and statistics and evidence, and the exams tend to require more memorisation rather than going in blind and analysing an unseen text.
I mean the fact that they share all of their notes, meaning Ruby can access all of Blakeney's notes at any time on Notion and vice versa, to me is very unusual and I think it would do them good to put up some boundaries. Studying together is one thing but this is different imo
And it's also not a coincidence that they chose all of the same modules. I have never had all the same courses as any of my friends. We would choose them independently, which meant at least one or two of them would differ every year. And that's okay because we were interested in different things.

Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.