Ruby Granger #15 Dustcore

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wasn't her last video also a booksHeLf tour? If it wasn't against YouTube's T&Cs, she'd definitely reupload the same videos multiple times.

but that's not what it is saying, is it? i never saw anyone saying this, that they have to love EVERY little thing? like you stubbed your toe and it hurts and that sucks, but maybe you saw a beautiful sunset ten minutes later and then that is your "casual magic" moment of the day
I think it's that she never gets bothered by anything. It would make her so much more relatable to say "I was caught out in the rain, and it was annoying" as opposed to pretending she loves everything that happens.

Reactions: 7
I'm only a few minutes in, and ignoring all the names she's mispronouncing (how???), why does she keep different books in a series apart from each other? She has multiple Anne of Green Gables books on the same shelf but not together, the duck? Also lmao "it's really not a cultural book", what does that mean?

Ok I'm 16 minutes in and there's so much about this that's pissing me off, from stupid mistakes (she calls the David Sedaris a short story collection. No, they're essays Ruby), to the idiocy of half of what she's saying (pretending that The Secret History and The Song of Achilles are amazing books that it just isn't the right time to read because she doesn't want to admit that she doesn't like them), that I honestly don't think I can actually post about it in depth. I genuinely can't remember the last time I was this angry 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 19
If anything, the video made it blatantly clear (as if it hadn’t been already) that she mainly values books for the ”aesthetic”, and likes the idea of having read them more than she likes the actual reading of them, apart from children’s books.

Blimey, forty minutes!? Dare I!?
I would advise an alcoholic beverage if you’re at all so inclined. I know it’s only Monday, but I wish I’d been prepared.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
I would advise an alcoholic beverage if you’re at all so inclined. I know it’s only Monday, but I wish I’d been prepared.
Did I hear alcohol? Whenever Ruby says "beautiful" (or edit: favourite") one shot! I'm in!

Last edited:
Reactions: 15
At the time when I clicked on the bookshelf tour video, the top comment is "Who needs therapy when you can binge watch Ruby's aesthetically pleasing videos." And Ruby liked it. Kind of indicative of how everything she says about mental health is just performative. (I know it's just a joke, but you all know what I mean.) When I started watching Ruby, I was in the midst of an eating disorder, and back then her content was not triggering for me at all. Now that I'm recovered, her channel is no longer safe and I have to remind myself that it isn't normal. She's disappointed me.

I'm new to this forum (have only been lurking for a week), and I was wondering if there has been discussion already about her comment section. It seems like _everything_ is positive, and given that this forum is so active, I find it kind of suspicious. There has to be more criticism from her viewers in the comments, right? Is she deleting negative comments? It's somehow hard to swallow that someone you looked up to as a young teenager is so performative, resistant to criticism, immature, and unaware. Sorry for the unproductive ramble haha

Edit: When did The Golden Compass become Northern Lights??? Also, unless it's changed too, it's HIS DARK MATERIALS not "The Northern Lights Trilogy". I'm sorry, I love those books too much to let anyone just have them sit on their shelf to look pretty and not actually read them...

Last edited:
Reactions: 26
Wasn't her last video also a booksHeLf tour?
But this is the "in-depth" bookshelf tour, because she "likes to go into depth" about each of her books.

Let's see what keen insight and detail we get.

""French Poetry." This is the French poetry one."

• Haha
Reactions: 22
At the time when I clicked on the bookshelf tour video, the top comment is "Who needs therapy when you can binge watch Ruby's aesthetically pleasing videos." And Ruby liked it. Kind of indicative of how everything she says about mental health is just performative. (I know it's just a joke, but you all know what I mean.) When I started watching Ruby, I was in the midst of an eating disorder, and back then her content was not triggering for me at all. Now that I'm recovered, her channel is no longer safe and I have to remind myself that it isn't normal. She's disappointed me.

I'm new to this forum (have only been lurking for a week), and I was wondering if there has been discussion already about her comment section. It seems like _everything_ is positive, and given that this forum is so active, I find it kind of suspicious. There has to be more criticism from her viewers in the comments, right? Is she deleting negative comments? It's somehow hard to swallow that someone you looked up to as a young teenager is so performative, resistant to criticism, immature, and unaware. Sorry for the unproductive ramble haha
If you scroll down to the bottom there are usually some concerned people commenting about her triggering behaviour and weight loss

Reactions: 9
If anything, the video made it blatantly clear (as if it hadn’t been already) that she mainly values books for the ”aesthetic”, and likes the idea of having read them more than she likes the actual reading of them, apart from children’s books.

If I took a shot for everytime she says "beauuuutiful cover", "beauuuutiful edition" and "beauuutiful illustrations", with a bonus point for everytime she says "I love, love, love this" I would die of alcohol poisoning. Seriously, does she not know any other words?

She only mentioned the actual contents of any of the books 6 times. Everything else was just the appearance of the physical object.

Yes, I have to admit it is a nice collection and I am quite jealous of some of the books she has, not gonna lie. But if I owned them, I would bloody read them!!

And another thing that really annoyed me was when she rambled on about not reading the Song of Achilles because she didn't have a Greek phase as a child. Not every child has a "Greek phase", yet plenty of people still managed to read the book. Does everything have to start in childhood? Can people not become interested in something later in life? Are your preferences set in stone because of your childhood habits and you are unable to appreciate anything in later life if you weren't into it as a child?

Considering that she studied philosophy in her first year before switching to English, she must have been exposed to a whole bunch of Greek and Latin writing. Surely Plato would have been mentioned? Yet she didn't even know how to pronounce Symposium. Happy to show off that she owns it and make people think she's read it though.

• Haha
Reactions: 34
I just finished it and honestly I'm tempted to spend the rest of the evening drinking cocktails (tempting at the best of times tbh). Honestly I think if I spent every night this week drinking cocktails I'd lose fewer braincells than I have watching that whole video.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
So I put the new video on after five minutes small human went mommy this lady is boring put paw patrol on

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
She only mentioned the actual contents of any of the books 6 times. Everything else was just the appearance of the physical object.
I skipped through it, and the only sound I heard apart from her voice was 70% of a new crunching book that had never been opened and read.
I mean, I have about 15 books lying around that I couldn't read after a few chapters because I didn't like them, but I don't pretend to have read them, let alone buy a new bookshelf to fill with books I never have and never will read.

• Haha
Reactions: 16

Edit: When did The Golden Compass become Northern Lights??? Also, unless it's changed too, it's HIS DARK MATERIALS not "The Northern Lights Trilogy". I'm sorry, I love those books too much to let anyone just have them sit on their shelf to look pretty and not actually read them...
I originally found this forum because it was driving me up the wall when I thought I was the only one who criticized Ruby in the comments. As more and more people have started to notice the weight loss and the triggering content, the more critical comments I see, which is at least reassuring. But yeah, unfortunately her fanbase is unwavering in their support of her, and that is obvious when 95% of her comments are just people ready to "support" her no matter what she says or does. It's exhausting that a lot of people will only ever see her as their "aesthetic, productivity queen".

Reactions: 18
Sweet Christ deliver us, it’s 40 minutes long.
edit: less than five minutes in and she’s already mispronounced Evelyn Waugh (both first AND last name!) and Truman Capote 😂
Indulge me please, for I cannot face watching 40 mins of a book shelf tour. How did she pronounce both Evelyn Waugh and Truman Capote?

Reactions: 10
I lasted 6 minutes in and then said "F" this. "Look at how beautiful this book is!" "Look at this cover!!"

Wow...so very, in depth. Seriously, Ruby. You are screwed up. Please learn to read correctly and pronounce basic words. It is positively exasperating how rudimentary your gibberish is!

Reactions: 5
Indulge me please, for I cannot face watching 40 mins of a book shelf tour. How did she pronounce both Evelyn Waugh and Truman Capote?
I didn't hear her saying Evelyn Waugh but she said Truman cap-oht instead of cap-o-tay

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Evuh-lyn (Eev-lyn is how the masculine name is pronounced) and she added an N to the last name so Wawn to rhyme with yawn.

Gonna watch the new video and take a shot whenever Ruby mispronounces something, wish me luck
Are you okay? Should we send out a rescue party?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
Okay i just watched her video while cooking, and it might just be me being dumb but English is not my first language and I couldn’t really pick up on any oddly pronounced author names… does that mean I’ve been pronouncing authors name wrong my entire reading career? 😳 embarrassing..

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.