Rightmove gems #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This house is stunning but why is there a shower in one of the bedrooms 😂 i think i'd need a little more privacy!

View attachment 2188697
I have seen this before when the local council have paid to put a shower in for someone old (as part of their senior care duty). Relatively easy to quickly bang an electric shower in somewhere like that. Likely far easier/cheaper than revamping a whole bathroom to add a shower.

That or maybe to accomodate a lodger in that room or the B&B explanation already given. There is a sink next to it. Not sure what the lodger does about the toilet (when they need a no. 2 anyway)

Reactions: 1
I'm obsessed with this house https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/135180557#/?channel=RES_BUY

I do love a bit of mid century modern, although given the.way this one is, it definitely lends itself to bringing in elements from a traditional Japanese courtyard house (which I also love as a style).

Over £350 in Council Tax a month though!
Those coloured bathroom suites!😱. I had a dark blue one in my 1st house in the 1980's. Water marks were a nightmare. Had to dry the sink with a towel every time you used it. Horrible.

Reactions: 2
Mid-century modern is an aesthetic I absolutely cannot get. I look at those pictures and feel depressed!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I have seen this before when the local council have paid to put a shower in for someone old (as part of their senior care duty). Relatively easy to quickly bang an electric shower in somewhere like that. Likely far easier/cheaper than revamping a whole bathroom to add a shower.

That or maybe to accomodate a lodger in that room or the B&B explanation already given. There is a sink next to it. Not sure what the lodger does about the toilet (when they need a no. 2 anyway)
Looking at houses near me I was surprised to see a 4 bedroom house where the three largest rooms each had a sink in them but no en-suite. Two of the sinks were just the stereotypical bathroom sink that were just against a wall in the open, and one was incorporated into a built in wardrobe which was even stranger.

Surely you would either have an ensuite or not bother with sinks?

Looking at houses near me I was surprised to see a 4 bedroom house where the three largest rooms each had a sink in them but no en-suite. Two of the sinks were just the stereotypical bathroom sink that were just against a wall in the open, and one was incorporated into a built in wardrobe which was even stranger.

Was it an old house, more than 50 years old? I believe it was just the fashion to put sinks in bedrooms for a certain period. If you think back to an indoor toilet is actually a relatively modern thing, before then they were in separate buildings in the back yard. When they first started routinely putting toilets indoors they were quite often in a tiny upstairs room all on their own and the sinks were in the individual bedrooms. A separate room from the toilet containing the bath and a sink was came later, and then it was later again that the toilet room and the bath room combined into one "bathroom" like we are used to now with bath, toilet, sink in the same room. Showers came much later!

My flat was built in about 1935 and the flat above mine in the same building had sinks in every bedroom, until it was finally refurbished lately and they were taken out. Mine doesn't now, but there's evidence in the lead pipework left under the floor that it did once. I have fireplaces in every room as well since the flat predates central heating and they've never been removed.

It is easy to forget what houses and flats were originally like 60, 70, 80 years ago!

Reactions: 8

That was pretty common back in the day - I remember it in friends' houses when I was a kid and I'm only 47.

Reactions: 1
Was it an old house, more than 50 years old? I believe it was just the fashion to put sinks in bedrooms for a certain period. If you think back to an indoor toilet is actually a relatively modern thing, before then they were in separate buildings in the back yard. When they first started routinely putting toilets indoors they were quite often in a tiny upstairs room all on their own and the sinks were in the individual bedrooms. A separate room from the toilet containing the bath and a sink was came later, and then it was later again that the toilet room and the bath room combined into one "bathroom" like we are used to now with bath, toilet, sink in the same room. Showers came much later!

My flat was built in about 1935 and the flat above mine in the same building had sinks in every bedroom, until it was finally refurbished lately and they were taken out. Mine doesn't now, but there's evidence in the lead pipework left under the floor that it did once. I have fireplaces in every room as well since the flat predates central heating and they've never been removed.

It is easy to forget what houses and flats were originally like 60, 70, 80 years ago!
ah thank you.

It doesn’t seem that old but I suppose 50 years isn’t that long ago really so it could have maybe been around that time.

Who's moving in with me?
Love the outside, but the inside is a bit overmodernised for me, sorry. There's a house not too far from me that's had the same thing happen to it - built c. 1700, but you'd never guess from the interiors. That said, I'd buy it for the land and the outdoor school and turn it into a livery yard if they were being remotely sensible about the price (from memory they paid £340k and they haven't fixed the roof, which my roofer mate says is £100k plus to do).

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.