Rich Abandon Ship

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
aw my god are we now gonna have to see post after post about how his first bar didn't work instead of how he failed art school now?

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I wish they’d stop saying everything is ‘a vibe’.
He made a Mean Girls meme about Wings Wednesday (as though that’s a super innovative thing he’s come up with… c’mon dude).
He should have really used a Regina George one “STOP TRYING TO MAKE VIBE HAPPEN. IT’S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.”

(These are how many times he uses that term in his latest stories… he’s utterly unbearable)

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 5
haven’t been on this thread in a while but just caught up on it and wow what an absolute riddy🤢
anyone fancy taking one for the team and visiting the luchador rodeo place please update the thread on what its like…

He made a Mean Girls meme about Wings Wednesday (as though that’s a super innovative thing he’s come up with… c’mon dude).
He should have really used a Regina George one “STOP TRYING TO MAKE VIBE HAPPEN. IT’S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.”

(These are how many times he uses that term in his latest stories… he’s utterly unbearable)
it’s like he’s just heard the word for the first time and he’s over-using it. The tagline for his shirt brand uses it too. It is so lame.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
also i know that rich is not the only one guilty of this (certainly not in glasgow, loads of businesses do this) but there’s something about someone who is neither hispanic nor speaks spanish using traditional mexican/latin american inspired decor/designs/ideas and flogging them for a pretty penny that gives me the ick 🥴
if it was in texas where there is a big latinx population and cultural influence its different, because i reckon there would be folk within the staffing and also the customer base who are actually part of that community, but some scottish guy flogging overpriced shite in glasgow with random spanish words… really? a family friend of mine emigrated from latin america and went to school in glasgow where she was bullied to the point she never speaks spanish anymore, even though its her mother tongue: so seeing some glaswegian with no ties to latin america (afaik, if someone can correct me pls do so) flog shite in spanish to sound ~alternative~ is kinda gross.
i understand that clothing and interiors etc etc go through phases and trends but it feels like rich’s stuff sometimes leans a leeettle too close to cultural appropriation, like… “mariachi brunch”? “muchos caballos”?? i imagine they’ll probably end up trying to punt some dia de los muertos tat as well 🙄

n.b i don’t think you have to be latinx or speak spanish to make or enjoy tex mex food or like the aesthetics of a culture, but i do think there’s a respectful way of going about it and there is a gimmicky, overpriced shite way of going about it, one where you have no real knowledge of the food or culture, and this last rodeo place and the new clothing line appear to fall into the latter category.
there’s also the fact that oor pal rich seems to be a repeat offender for this kind of thing… remember those “tibetan tiger” rugs that he was selling on abandon ship like a year ago? nae doubt that they were being made by some poor factory worker in actual south east asia so abandon ship could increase those sweet sweet profit margins 🫠 he’s just a serial trend hopper at the end of the day

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
also i know that rich is not the only one guilty of this (certainly not in glasgow, loads of businesses do this) but there’s something about someone who is neither hispanic nor speaks spanish using traditional mexican/latin american inspired decor/designs/ideas and flogging them for a pretty penny that gives me the ick 🥴
if it was in texas where there is a big latinx population and cultural influence its different, because i reckon there would be folk within the staffing and also the customer base who are actually part of that community, but some scottish guy flogging overpriced shite in glasgow with random spanish words… really? a family friend of mine emigrated from latin america and went to school in glasgow where she was bullied to the point she never speaks spanish anymore, even though its her mother tongue: so seeing some glaswegian with no ties to latin america (afaik, if someone can correct me pls do so) flog shite in spanish to sound ~alternative~ is kinda gross.
i understand that clothing and interiors etc etc go through phases and trends but it feels like rich’s stuff sometimes leans a leeettle too close to cultural appropriation, like… “mariachi brunch”? “muchos caballos”?? i imagine they’ll probably end up trying to punt some dia de los muertos tat as well 🙄

n.b i don’t think you have to be latinx or speak spanish to make or enjoy tex mex food or like the aesthetics of a culture, but i do think there’s a respectful way of going about it and there is a gimmicky, overpriced shite way of going about it, one where you have no real knowledge of the food or culture, and this last rodeo place and the new clothing line appear to fall into the latter category.
there’s also the fact that oor pal rich seems to be a repeat offender for this kind of thing… remember those “tibetan tiger” rugs that he was selling on abandon ship like a year ago? nae doubt that they were being made by some poor factory worker in actual south east asia so abandon ship could increase those sweet sweet profit margins 🫠 he’s just a serial trend hopper at the end of the day
Yes to all this. I remember years ago someone asked him what ethnicity he was and he replied something like ‘why does it matter?’ And he has referred to himself a few times as ‘racially ambiguous’. Unless he’s adopted, he’s white because both his parents are. There are photos of them on his socials. If he has Latin American heritage then that’s ok, but if he’s just some white guy from Scotland using his ‘racial ambiguity’ to sidestep any accusations of cultural appropriation, and benefitting off those communities, then that is not ok. If you scroll back in his socials he’s been doing this for years. He released a Mexican cookbook. If a white dude wrote and published an Indian cookbook or an South African cookbook, there would be a backlash, but his ‘racial ambiguity’ means nobody questions it.

Maybe he identifies as Mexican. It’s like Rachel Dolezal. He needs someone to just flat-out ask him.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
Yes to all this. I remember years ago someone asked him what ethnicity he was and he replied something like ‘why does it matter?’ And he has referred to himself a few times as ‘racially ambiguous’. Unless he’s adopted, he’s white because both his parents are. There are photos of them on his socials. If he has Latin American heritage then that’s ok, but if he’s just some white guy from Scotland using his ‘racial ambiguity’ to sidestep any accusations of cultural appropriation, and benefitting off those communities, then that is not ok. If you scroll back in his socials he’s been doing this for years. He released a Mexican cookbook. If a white dude wrote and published an Indian cookbook or an South African cookbook, there would be a backlash, but his ‘racial ambiguity’ means nobody questions it.

Maybe he identifies as Mexican. It’s like Rachel Dolezal. He needs someone to just flat-out ask him.
Oh god, I can’t believe he actually said that? What kind of response is that?
Personally I read it as he feels he looks like other ethnicities so likes to leave it open to interpretation? Surely that’s not okay..

Reactions: 1

ohh wow i cannot believe he said that either!! thats mad. he would definitely benefit from that level of racial ambiguity, but to just flat out say that when someone asks him?!?

i can’t even think why you would refuse to answer that question, unless, for instance, you benefit from racial ambiguity by making money off other people’s cultur- oh wait 🙃

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Just echoing what others have said really but I didn't even know he'd said that, but I'm not that surprised at this point. Odd to question "why it matters" ...says it all really. I've always just assumed he was a white Scottish guy though, I don't really think he even looks racially ambiguous?

Reactions: 2
Just echoing what others have said really but I didn't even know he'd said that, but I'm not that surprised at this point. Odd to question "why it matters" ...says it all really. I've always just assumed he was a white Scottish guy though, I don't really think he even looks racially ambiguous?
i mean, he has a ring with a literal swastika on it so…

• Sick
hiy yous are onto something more I think of it the more I know / know of hunners of hipster millennials weegies who were central station goths as wains are obsessed with latin america culture…..very odd

Reactions: 1
New place I think is just basically sublet from McMerry. It’s in his and his wifes name (Migas 721) she maybe still had a decent credit score.

• Wow
Reactions: 2