Rest in Peace

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We watched a series about a real hospital in real time during the pandemic. All of the operating surgeons were having to make cases every day for maybe only 2 or 3 surgery slots available. The problem was the intensive care beds and staff available. The consultants were at there wits end with having to tell patients that their operations had been cancelled for maybe the 3rd or 4th time. It was so emotional and draining and I wouldn't swap one minute of my live to walk a corridor in theirs. It was utterly humbling. Believe me, there was no 'less emergency' surgery. There were simply people who were just moving on from stage II to III cancers to the almost inoperable point. We are talking about people due to have had surgery pre the first lock down. This simply can't be allowed to happen again ever.
Not sure if it worked that way every where, tbh. When I say "less emergency surgery" I meant things like elective hip replacements, total knee replacements, cosmetic removals of benign tumours (my mum's had one on her shoulder for the last year and half that she is still waiting to have taken off because of the back log). I know my trust was very, very strong on keeping surgeries that would have life altering outcomes still going - to the point where we had wards that hadn't been opened for years re-opened just to house people recovering from said surgeries.

The trouble with it all is that there are - as you say - a finite number of resources. Theatre recoveries weren't operational because the staff were redeployed to ITU or the area was changed to an ITU. The vents that they needed for during operations were being used in ITUs. Anaesthetists and theatre nurses etc. were drafted to manage ventilated patients which created a massive hole in the system. That was half the reason lockdown was imposed - it wasn't because the NHS couldn't cope with everyone getting COVID, it was that the NHS couldn't cope with the 'normal' emergency admissions who needed a bed, oxygen and possibly a vent as well as the people getting COVID. Oxygen supply was limited because of a higher number of people needing oxygen (even people not on a ventilator, just people on nasal specs).

It's unfortunately not a simple thing that could have been avoided, no matter what the news may say. Even if we were fully prepared, at the peak of the first wave there were hospitals that had absolutely no capacity and some that were so low on resources it was down to senior staff to choose whether to turn everyone's oxygen down by a litre to conserve it further. You can have all the resources in the world but it takes time, training and expertise to be able to manage even one patient - there's no way really you can prepare a health service for that level of emergency or the speed in which it came to us IMO.

Reactions: 3
Not sure if it worked that way every where, tbh. When I say "less emergency surgery" I meant things like elective hip replacements, total knee replacements, cosmetic removals of benign tumours (my mum's had one on her shoulder for the last year and half that she is still waiting to have taken off because of the back log). I know my trust was very, very strong on keeping surgeries that would have life altering outcomes still going - to the point where we had wards that hadn't been opened for years re-opened just to house people recovering from said surgeries.

The trouble with it all is that there are - as you say - a finite number of resources. Theatre recoveries weren't operational because the staff were redeployed to ITU or the area was changed to an ITU. The vents that they needed for during operations were being used in ITUs. Anaesthetists and theatre nurses etc. were drafted to manage ventilated patients which created a massive hole in the system. That was half the reason lockdown was imposed - it wasn't because the NHS couldn't cope with everyone getting COVID, it was that the NHS couldn't cope with the 'normal' emergency admissions who needed a bed, oxygen and possibly a vent as well as the people getting COVID. Oxygen supply was limited because of a higher number of people needing oxygen (even people not on a ventilator, just people on nasal specs).

It's unfortunately not a simple thing that could have been avoided, no matter what the news may say. Even if we were fully prepared, at the peak of the first wave there were hospitals that had absolutely no capacity and some that were so low on resources it was down to senior staff to choose whether to turn everyone's oxygen down by a litre to conserve it further. You can have all the resources in the world but it takes time, training and expertise to be able to manage even one patient - there's no way really you can prepare a health service for that level of emergency or the speed in which it came to us IMO.
I understand - one person can only do what one person can do. To get new protocols worked-out/up/running must have been such an enormous thing I simply can't imagine. The knock-on effect is still being felt in GP surgeries and hospitals. I hope you get the pay rise you are more than entitled to in the near future and thank you sincerely for your care.

Reactions: 2
We're finding at work a lot of the time now people are presenting very late, whether that's because they couldn't get a face to face GP appointment, didn't think it was serious, didn't want to go into a hospital during a pandemic, or for other reasons (cancer services have inherently been carrying on as best as they could during the pandemic, though some less 'emergency' surgery was pushed back I think at the height of the waves most Trusts did everything they could to keep it going) - it is really sad.
My friend died last October from cancer; her GP had refused to see her and kept prescribing paracetamol for her agonising back and shoulder pain over the telephone. Once she lost her voice, she was sent to ENT where they discovered the cancer immediately. She died after her first chemo course. Whereas I - just over the county border - was seen in person at my GP surgery, albeit in full PPE, when I had terrible stomach pains (fitted all the abdominal symptoms of Covid-19 when they released them a month or two later though never tested). Her husband and children are considering suing the health board or GP, or demanding an inquiry just so it doesn't happen again to anyone else.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
My friend died last October from cancer; her GP had refused to see her and kept prescribing paracetamol for her agonising back and shoulder pain over the telephone. Once she lost her voice, she was sent to ENT where they discovered the cancer immediately. She died after her first chemo course. Whereas I - just over the county border - was seen in person at my GP surgery, albeit in full PPE, when I had terrible stomach pains (fitted all the abdominal symptoms of Covid-19 when they released them a month or two later though never tested). Her husband and children are considering suing the health board or GP, or demanding an inquiry just so it doesn't happen again to anyone else.
What a terrible situation. I think there will be a lot of people looking to sue. However, I think there will be huge cover-ups because of directives given to hospital trusts and GP surgeries during the pandemic. I hope you are over the worst of your illness and that your friend's family find some sort of resolution. 🤗

• Heart
Reactions: 4
What a terrible situation. I think there will be a lot of people looking to sue. However, I think there will be huge cover-ups because of directives given to hospital trusts and GP surgeries during the pandemic. I hope you are over the worst of your illness and that your friend's family find some sort of resolution. 🤗
Thanks. I was in bed for a couple of weeks then had a couple of flare ups but, touch wood, have been OK since the autumn. They didn't know what it was but I had a raised white blood cell count so they gave me antibiotics (even though they couldn't pinpoint an infection) as well as omeprazole as a general medicine.

Her husband said that the one good thing about the cancer diagnosis was at least she wasn't in pain any more; she was on "the good drugs". As a former marine and prison officer, he felt so helpless to see her in such pain and be unable to help; if he hadn't kicked up a fuss, she would never have been seen by anyone.

• Sad
I'm so sorry to hear that, that is awful. Without casting aspersions on healthcare professional I don't know, there does seem to be a few stories of similar things where GP surgeries etc. have sat back and used COVID as a reason to not do their jobs properly.

Reactions: 5
Aw that’s sad, another popular face from the TV when I was young.

We were speaking about him the other day when the athletics was on, one of his sons is married to Denise Lewis
I didn't know about that. We were also talking about him the other day as on the chase,there was a question about Scouse,the stew. I only knew the answer because tom O'Connor made it on celeb come dine with me.

Reactions: 4
I'm so sorry to hear that, that is awful. Without casting aspersions on healthcare professional I don't know, there does seem to be a few stories of similar things where GP surgeries etc. have sat back and used COVID as a reason to not do their jobs properly.
Nah - they knew there was basically no chance of a patient actually getting a hospital consultant referral and there is was no point in trying to. I'm personally at the tail end of waiting for home oxygen which is stuck in a bureaucratic hole that is 'Health & Social Care'at the moment. Have my end of life pack which will be used sooner if I can't breathe lol. My GP and the hospital Consultant and local Hospice have all been great.

• Heart
Nah - they knew there was basically no chance of a patient actually getting a hospital consultant referral and there is was no point in trying to. I'm personally at the tail end of waiting for home oxygen which is stuck in a bureaucratic hole that is 'Health & Social Care'at the moment. Have my end of life pack which will be used sooner if I can't breathe lol. My GP and the hospital Consultant and local Hospice have all been great.
Depends where you are. We're in Scotland. My health board is utterly crap but the GPs are fine. My friend got to see ENT and oncology almost immediately after the GP got off his arse; she was a few miles over the county line into the next health board area.

Couldn't find a Home and Away thread :(

When I used to watch Home and Away in my school days he was brilliant and I loved him in Neighbours too. So sad that another young life is over. Hopefully plenty of co stars sing his praises, although Melissa George probably won't.

• Sad
Reactions: 10

When I used to watch Home and Away in my school days he was brilliant and I loved him in Neighbours too. So sad that another young life is over. Hopefully plenty of co stars sing his praises, although Melissa George probably won't.
Kristy Wright who played Chloe has. I never knew but they dated in real life.

Such sad news, he really was the teenage heartthrob in the 90's. RIP x

Reactions: 6

That is so so sad! Far too young to die ♥

• Sad
Reminds me so much of what happened to Ben Unwin (Jesse in Home and Away) 😥

• Sad
I'm really shocked over Dieter Brummer, and quite saddened. He was one of my first crushes when I used to watch Home & Away all those years ago, always excited for it to come on after the children's programmes had finished when I got in from school, or at lunch time during sick days when I'd be looked after by my gran and we'd watch together.

The Shane and Angel romance was one of my first experiences as a "shipper", although of course that term wasn't around back then.

RIP. My condolences to his family and friends.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I'm really shocked over Dieter Brummer, and quite saddened. He was one of my first crushes when I used to watch Home & Away all those years ago, always excited for it to come on after the children's programmes had finished when I got in from school, or at lunch time during sick days when I'd be looked after by my gran and we'd watch together.

The Shane and Angel romance was one of my first experiences as a "shipper", although of course that term wasn't around back then.

RIP. My condolences to his family and friends.
Mine too, I think he was probably the first to character I had a crush on.

He went off my radar but he was in a few episodes of Underbelly. Totally different character to Shane but he was really good.

I hope he’s at peace now ♥

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.