Real Life Crime and Murder #20

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thanks for this. Does this mean she could have been sentenced to between 8-18 years? What does the starting point of 12 mean?
I'm not a lawyer, but I think the "starting point" is the point that they take as being "in the middle" - time will be lessened if the accused (say) admits their guilt which means the family don't have to go through the stress of a trial, and that perhaps the consequences (someone's death) couldn't have reasonably been expected, the people involved were equally matched (eg if there'd been a fight), etc, but that more than 12 years would be given if there was a situation like this - no taking responsibility, forcing a painful trial, no real remorse, a huge disparity in the strength/power of the victim and killer (couldn't get much more than an adult killing a 9 month baby), and that the death, or at least very great distress could have been easily foreseen (as in this case).

As I say - I don'y know the law so I could be wrong.
---
They start from a sentence of 12 years and time is then either deducted for mitigating factors or added on for aggravating factors but the full sentence must still fall within the 8-18 years time frame.
Bugger!

I should have read further down for your much clearer response.

Reactions: 8
Does anyone know more on this? Any speculation who the people arrested were to her?

Reactions: 2
I wonder if that can’t be done until this verdict was in, or even if it has been done but is under reporting restrictions so as to not influence this trial
---

I hope there will be restrictions on her working with children after her release, so they think the risk is minimal.

God forbid she ever has her own baby

She'll be on the children's barred list forever, not a hope of ever working with kids again.

Reactions: 12
There may well be civil proceedings now the criminal case has concluded
I was thinking this. There should never have been a beanbag for sleeping. I wonder what happened when it all came out do you think all the parents pulled their kids out? This case is really troubling me. I can’t stop thinking about.

Reactions: 16
I'm surprised she got 14 years as I was expecting less but she definitely deserved more time. How the parents have remained so composed and be able to turn up to the trial everyday just speak volumes. Their statements were hard to read, them both mentioning guilt over leaving her there and having to find out that Gigi suffered. Some people are just so cruel and it's unimaginable.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Does anyone know more on this? Any speculation who the people arrested were to her?

I don't know anything about this case at all (still hopelessly behind with all my lists) and have missed people talking about it on here (if they have) but I suspected it was addiction related just from the photographs I have seen of her and the defendants. It's really hard to explain but, when you've followed as many drug related murders as I have done, you just get a feeling, usually from the quality of the images.

Anyway, I just looked at the victim's social media and yes, she was definitely into either drugs/alcohol/both. So I'm willing to bet money she has come into contact with them because of that.

IMG_2066.jpeg

Reactions: 10
I was thinking this. There should never have been a beanbag for sleeping. I wonder what happened when it all came out do you think all the parents pulled their kids out? This case is really troubling me. I can’t stop thinking about.
Me too. It's so upsetting.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I'm surprised she got 14 years as I was expecting less but she definitely deserved more time. How the parents have remained so composed and be able to turn up to the trial everyday just speak volumes. Their statements were hard to read, them both mentioning guilt over leaving her there and having to find out that Gigi suffered. Some people are just so cruel and it's unimaginable.
I can't begin to imagine what they have gone through, and will continue to endure, having seen their darling little girl slowly die. It's horrific,

• Sad
Reactions: 12
Well, hang on - let's see what the evidence is first maybe.....?

For those that haven't seen the story:

Well presumably the police have found a link between SW and the CCTV footage for a start. Not to mention advances in DNA since 1999. If there's enough evidence for a trial after the last 5 years of reviewing the evidence there must be tangible evidence, and there haven't been any other suspects (that I'm aware of).

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Well presumably the police have found a link between SW and the CCTV footage for a start. Not to mention advances in DNA since 1999. If there's enough evidence for a trial after the last 5 years of reviewing the evidence there must be tangible evidence, and there haven't been any other suspects (that I'm aware of).
Yes it has long been suspected of this crime and presumably they are only charging him now they have evidence. He is an evil man who caused untold harm to these young people, their families and the wider community.

Reactions: 9
I don't disagree with any of that - there was someone who was tried two years after the murder but found not guilty - but you can't say that the family are going to get justice when we haven't heard a scrap of evidence yet.

Everyone is entitled to a fair trial. Everyone. Even convicted serial killers.

Reactions: 8
I don't disagree with any of that - there was someone who was tried two years after the murder but found not guilty - but you can't say that the family are going to get justice when we haven't heard a scrap of evidence yet.

You're right of course, I just got a bit over excited when I saw the news.

I do feel quietly confident that what they've got will be conclusive though.

I will however revise my original comment to a more sensible 'I hope the family are finally able to get justice'.

Sadly I do still think there are many, as yet unknown, victims.

• Heart
Reactions: 14

And no disagreement from me re: your statement that everyone (even convicted serial killers) is entitled to a fair trial. I believe that is what's going to happen.

Reactions: 9
The verbal abuse Roughley dished out to Gigi as well, what an absolute, irredeemable piece of tit. I hope some awful things happen to her in prison and that is not my usual style.

Reactions: 22
Verdicts in.

Pereira guilty of perverting the course of justice, not guilty for murder.

Atkins guilty of murder. I am shocked that it was a majority 11-1 verdict. I thought a couple more would lean towards self defence. Not saying I believe that, but it wasn’t completely beyond reasonable doubt.
I’m surprised he didn’t get off for self defence tbh but I agree he is guilty of murder. I wonder how long Pereira will get? surely not the long considering the time she’s already spent on remand. Still say she knows more and had more involvement.

Reactions: 2
Watching the first ep of cold cases after reading here and Jesus H Christ!

How bleeping mad (great) is it that they could get dna from a case in 1983!!!!! I’m 40 next year and that assault happened before even I was born!!!!! Utterly mind blowing that they could get a suspect in 2022! Thanks to whoever recommended 💙
I watched them both this evening after this reminder.
Digital Detectives was also really good too.
I can't begin to tell you how often Mr2 asks 'what you watching, murder again?'...😆
It's just so interesting & often quite frightening!

Reactions: 7
Going to watch the Ruby Franke doc on C5. I first heard of her during Covid and thought then she was a total fruit loop, the reality turned out to be so much worse than anything she showed/said on camera. Hope the kids are doing okay.

Reactions: 6
Going to watch the Ruby Franke doc on C5. I first heard of her during Covid and thought then she was a total fruit loop, the reality turned out to be so much worse than anything she showed/said on camera. Hope the kids are doing okay.
I watched it this week.
The man on the phone to the police was just....well 😢
I find it wild that people (adults) can be so taken in with such bullshit beliefs & lifestyle choices.
Not sure how I feel about the husband though.

I never saw any 8 passengers sm but do hope the children are now happy, safe & loved.

Reactions: 6
I watched it this week.
The man on the phone to the police was just....well 😢
I find it wild that people (adults) can be so taken in with such bullshit beliefs & lifestyle choices.
Not sure how I feel about the husband though.

I never saw any 8 passengers sm but do hope the children are now happy, safe & loved.
I've never been able to watch those "family channels" on Youtube. What I've seen of them has always made me so extremely uncomfortable. There is something fundamentally wrong about them however "innocent" the content is. I'm not a parent but I just could not imagine broadcasting a child of mine to the entire world like that, it's so fucked up.

I'm not impressed with Franke's husband. It doesn't seem like he fought for the kids at all? At least she is in prison now. Hopefully the kids can get a better chance at life. The little boy who was able to escape and ultimately save them all is a hero.

Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.