Real Life Crime and Murder #20

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The jury went out on the Kate Roughley trial today. I’m absolutely disgusted at the details that have emerged during the trial. To die in such a way is unimaginably cruel, positional asphyxia and physiological stress- basically tortured to death. I can’t stop thinking about her and her poor parents. When my daughter was tiny she had kicked her blanket loose and up onto her face while I was in the shower. The absolute state of her by the time I got back (after about 10 minutes) was horrible, I felt so guilty. She’s a schoolgirl now but I still remember it vividly. This poor baby was left for over an hour and a half. The attitude of the “woman” supposed to be caring for her is sickening. She treated that baby as less than human, just an object that was annoying to her. I can picture how she was as well as I have come across her type in my years as a nurse. Thinking she’s the big fish in a small pond, wielding power over vulnerable people, treating her work environment like her own kingdom. If she doesn’t like the child they are treated with contempt. How can you take a dislike to a 9 month old baby girl? Deliberately ignoring her cries of distress because you see her as an annoyance. Only caring about completing tasks, with little regard for the effects it’s having on the little ones totally dependent on you to keep them safe. Losing your humanity by ignoring that of others. The people working alongside her and in charge also should be punished. It seems as though working conditions were difficult due to understaffing and poor skill mix. It’s no excuse though for what happened. I hope she gets found guilty of manslaughter and is given the maximum sentence at the judge’s disposal. I hope she never knows a moment’s peace from what she has done, heaven knows the poor parents never will.
Yes, you have summed it up perfectly.

It would go against every extinct in your body to place a child on beanbag face down. And it would literally hurt my head and heart to ignore a crying baby. I am sure many mums have been pushed to the limit by crying babies. I know I have. I once tapped my toddler (literally tapped, not hit) when he just would not stop tantrumming and screaming. Never felt guilt like it in my life.

How can she live with herself.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 21
The jury went out on the Kate Roughley trial today. I’m absolutely disgusted at the details that have emerged during the trial. To die in such a way is unimaginably cruel, positional asphyxia and physiological stress- basically tortured to death. I can’t stop thinking about her and her poor parents. When my daughter was tiny she had kicked her blanket loose and up onto her face while I was in the shower. The absolute state of her by the time I got back (after about 10 minutes) was horrible, I felt so guilty. She’s a schoolgirl now but I still remember it vividly. This poor baby was left for over an hour and a half. The attitude of the “woman” supposed to be caring for her is sickening. She treated that baby as less than human, just an object that was annoying to her. I can picture how she was as well as I have come across her type in my years as a nurse. Thinking she’s the big fish in a small pond, wielding power over vulnerable people, treating her work environment like her own kingdom. If she doesn’t like the child they are treated with contempt. How can you take a dislike to a 9 month old baby girl? Deliberately ignoring her cries of distress because you see her as an annoyance. Only caring about completing tasks, with little regard for the effects it’s having on the little ones totally dependent on you to keep them safe. Losing your humanity by ignoring that of others. The people working alongside her and in charge also should be punished. It seems as though working conditions were difficult due to understaffing and poor skill mix. It’s no excuse though for what happened. I hope she gets found guilty of manslaughter and is given the maximum sentence at the judge’s disposal. I hope she never knows a moment’s peace from what she has done, heaven knows the poor parents never will.
I honestly can’t begin to imagine what went on behind closed doors at that nursery, if a baby could be treated like that under the noses of all the staff and not ONE of them intervened in that 90 minute period. It’s absolutely chilling.

• Sad
Reactions: 29
I honestly can’t begin to imagine what went on behind closed doors at that nursery, if a baby could be treated like that under the noses of all the staff and not ONE of them intervened in that 90 minute period. It’s absolutely chilling.
That's the bit I can't get my head around - Roughley did something awful to the poor baby, but no-one else stepped in and did something, released the baby or called the police or something. The baby was there for an hour and a half 😔
I wonder if Roughley was such a bully to other staff that no-one dared to speak out or do something. It's just awful.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 22
That's the bit I can't get my head around - Roughley did something awful to the poor baby, but no-one else stepped in and did something, released the baby or called the police or something. The baby was there for an hour and a half 😔
I wonder if Roughley was such a bully to other staff that no-one dared to speak out or do something. It's just awful.
Wasn’t she the manager on that day? So the rest of the staff maybe didn’t feel they could speak out against her. Would anyone else have been checking up on her or just concentrating on their own areas and assume she had it under control even if they baby was crying a lot?

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 14
Or maybe treatment like that was normalised there. Albeit maybe not for 90mins at a time.

• Sad
Reactions: 18
Yes, if if happened it’s because the culture there allowed it. She is to blame, but the owner / manager should be at fault in some way too.
---
Or maybe treatment like that was normalised there. Albeit maybe not for 90mins at a time.
That’ll teach me to post before reading to the end!

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Wasn’t she the manager on that day? So the rest of the staff maybe didn’t feel they could speak out against her. Would anyone else have been checking up on her or just concentrating on their own areas and assume she had it under control even if they baby was crying a lot?
I'm sure I read something about there being other managers there on site but they were in an office, not in the nursery itself 😕

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
Yes, you have summed it up perfectly.

It would go against every extinct in your body to place a child on beanbag face down. And it would literally hurt my head and heart to ignore a crying baby. I am sure many mums have been pushed to the limit by crying babies. I know I have. I once tapped my toddler (literally tapped, not hit) when he just would not stop tantrumming and screaming. Never felt guilt like it in my life.

How can she live with herself.
And it would literally hurt my head and heart to ignore a crying baby.

God - yes! Nature has designed us to respond straight away to a child's cry, and the more urgent and hysterical the sobbing, the more rapidly we take action to comfort and protect. It's physically distressing to hear.

And that poor baby must have broken her little heart crying so desperately for so long.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 17

God - yes! Nature has designed us to respond straight away to a child's cry, and the more urgent and hysterical the sobbing, the more rapidly we take action to comfort and protect. It's physically distressing to hear.

And that poor baby must have broken her little heart crying so desperately for so long.
My friends baby was unwell yesterday, he cries were breaking my heart and both of us were cuddling/trying to soothe her. Can't imagine leaving a baby screaming for that long, whilst in such a dangerous position.

• Heart
Reactions: 16

Absolutely this, although maybe she'd become desensitised by it after so long in the job.

During my lowest moments with my first, I tried sleep training (the kid WOULD NOT SLEEP) and I lasted 2 minutes doing the cry it out method. 4 years later, it still haunts me. I never did it again.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Reading about these cases in the UK I think every case where there is multiple sentences they run concurrently - why is this? In America, for example, a prisoner could be sentenced to serve several years one after the other (see this police officer for an example ) whereas in the UK it would be X person is sentenced to 30 years plus 7 years concurrent (just a random example) and yet they’d only serve the 30 years. I’m probably not explaining this well, so I apologise in advance for that.

Reactions: 3
Reading about these cases in the UK I think every case where there is multiple sentences they run concurrently - why is this? In America, for example, a prisoner could be sentenced to serve several years one after the other (see this police officer for an example ) whereas in the UK it would be X person is sentenced to 30 years plus 7 years concurrent (just a random example) and yet they’d only serve the 30 years. I’m probably not explaining this well, so I apologize in advance for that.
Wow.......he got a 263 year sentence. I checked.

Reading about these cases in the UK I think every case where there is multiple sentences they run concurrently - why is this? In America, for example, a prisoner could be sentenced to serve several years one after the other (see this police officer for an example ) whereas in the UK it would be X person is sentenced to 30 years plus 7 years concurrent (just a random example) and yet they’d only serve the 30 years. I’m probably not explaining this well, so I apologise in advance for that.
The Sentencing Council has a guide

That poor little mite. Roughley treated her thus out of spite, I imagine, thinking she could bully Genevieve into silence. Vile woman who should never have been allowed near children.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
I think the equivalent to the 263 year sentence in America is the whole life tariff here. They do effectively the same thing, just the US like to put a (ridiculous and frankly stupid as nobody is going to actually serve 263 years) specific number on it. I’ve seen sentences not be one after the other in the US (Ruby Franke a recent example) so I assume it’s saved largely for serious crimes.

Reactions: 4
Is anyone following the Chad Doerman case? The guy in America who executed his three sons in front of their mother, who sustainted injuries herself when she tried to stop him?

He's pushing very hard for the insanity plea. I hope he doesn't get it. In general I am not pro death penalty but there are some crimes so abhorrent I don't think the perps deserve life either.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
Is anyone following the Chad Doerman case? The guy in America who executed his three sons in front of their mother, who sustainted injuries herself when she tried to stop him?

He's pushing very hard for the insanity plea. I hope he doesn't get it. In general I am not pro death penalty but there are some crimes so abhorrent I don't think the perps deserve life either.
I read it at the time but wasn't aware the trial is now. I'm very sorry to say I will absolutely not be happy with an insanity plea on this. That incident is the stuff of nightmares

Reactions: 6
I know in certain cultures dogs are not pets and they see them as "dirty" I guess it's because in their countries they are mostly strays. I'm not a fan of big dogs myself (tbh I'm just not a dog person in general) not scared of them but just wary. I understand they probably have been conditioned in a way to be scared of dogs because their parents probably were but they are teaching their kids to be scared too.
I'm in Glasgow and generally agree about certain cultures not liking dogs. Especially as they think they're dirty. Years ago I worked with a woman who was Hindu. She owned a gorgeous black labrador. She took it for a walk one day and her daughter locked her out the house. She had to bring it to work to phone her daughter (pre mobile phones!!!) The staff who were Muslim were freaking out about the dog. That was the first time it was explained about how they consider them dirty. So I had to keep the dog in the office away from them. No hardship for me - I had a great time feeding it tea biscuits!!!

But ive noticed a change. I've seen more and more people from diverse cultures owning dogs. I think people from getting used to having dogs as pets.

Reactions: 12
I read it at the time but wasn't aware the trial is now. I'm very sorry to say I will absolutely not be happy with an insanity plea on this. That incident is the stuff of nightmares
I keep thinking about the mother. It's horrendous to even imagine the pain of her loss. I hope she has a lot of support.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
I'm in Glasgow and generally agree about certain cultures not liking dogs. Especially as they think they're dirty. Years ago I worked with a woman who was Hindu. She owned a gorgeous black labrador. She took it for a walk one day and her daughter locked her out the house. She had to bring it to work to phone her daughter (pre mobile phones!!!) The staff who were Muslim were freaking out about the dog. That was the first time it was explained about how they consider them dirty. So I had to keep the dog in the office away from them. No hardship for me - I had a great time feeding it tea biscuits!!!

But ive noticed a change. I've seen more and more people from diverse cultures owning dogs. I think people from getting used to having dogs as pets.
I had to Google why certain cultures don't like dogs and muslims find their saliva dirty. I think people have got better in their views that dogs in this country are pets and not a danger or dirty. There's just certain people that still have that belief and that's fine but they are teaching their children to be scared too. A lot of their friends might have dogs, they want to go to the park where there is dogs. Can't avoid them!

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.