Real Life Crime and Murder #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Was it a dodgy area she was walking through then? I'm not very familiar with London, I've only ever stayed in Hampstead with my aunt or in Kensington when I've visited. I knew South London was rough but I thought it was further south like Croydon areas.
I'm reposting on here so hopefully some one can answer for me :)

Reactions: 1
I hope they find her but it’s not looking good 😢 I’ve always been scared walking on my own at night and was lucky enough to always have parents or bf to ask for a lift. I watch so much true crime and I just couldn’t imagine the fear of someone attacking me or whatever.

My sister lives in Edinburgh and used to work in a bar. Would walk home at 3 in the morning even though we told her to get taxis and honestly I used to spend every weekend worrying about her but she just wouldn’t listen.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Poster on the previous thread said this about the area:
I lived on Clarence a Avenue for 10 years and have walked that route all times of day and night without ever having a problem. Thornton Ward has a below average crime rate for London and Brixton Hill bang on average. I think this is actually what makes this all the more shocking, despite what people seem to be claiming this is not actually a dangerous part of the world.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I think people will have different opinions on this. As I mentioned in a previous post, the crime rate in the areas Sarah walked through are either just below average or average. It is being heavily developed, with older council house blocks being knocked down and replaced by new builds that provide a mix of private and social housing. It’s a mixed area, but I lived in one of the tower blocks of what were previously council flats there for 10 years without a problem and would regularly walk back from Clapham, Balham or Brixton alone, three sheets to the wind late at night. I think it’s relatively typical for zone 2 London and there is an undercurrent of some gang activity although I think this is a bit more prevalent a bit further north of this area towards Stockwell.

Reactions: 7
I’m local as well. No it’s not known as a dodgy place despite what the Daily Mail readers would have you think. Lots of young professionals and families live round there. Main road she took isreally busy generally (though maybe quieter in lockdown) and well lit so I understand why she felt safe to walk there. The one thing I’d say about the area is that it can turn from very fancy gentrified roads into more dodgy council estates quite quickly. But overall the portrayal of her route being super dangerous just isn’t true -of course - anything can happen anywhere and perhaps she was in the wrong place wrong time.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I really hope they find her soon. I can’t stop following her story. I think lots of us on Tattle will resonate with Sarah Everard: absolutely “average” woman, early 30s, missing doing a very mundane and everyday task- walking.

From street view her route does seem to be busier and well lit.

I do have to admit I’m 32 and when I was in my early 20s living in Glasgow I’d get buses home after back shifts and walk along dark places listening to my earphones with my hood up. My sister gave me a right bollocking one night and that was it. Then a few months later that poor, poor woman Moira Jones was raped and murdered in Queens Park. Which was 4 streets away from us 😢 That freaked me out and now I’m hyper vigilant.

So, ladies who still have to get buses home and walk at night: don’t listen to music!

Edit: just realised this may be taken as me victim blaming. Absolutely not the intention, I believe women should be free to go anywhere and do anything. However, we need to stay vigilant to our surroundings. ❤

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 38
I lived in and around the Clapham / Brixton area for many years and never encountered any problems but I was quite streetwise I think, very aware of my surroundings.
But like many other young professionals in the city I would go out after work (no food in me), get far too drunk and stagger home. There but for the grace of God I go.
Stranger murder is exceptionally rare - the police will be extremely worried they have a lunatic on their hands.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I walked through the park area at night and it was one of the scariest things I’ve done. I think maybe because I was a bit drunk and I’m not from that area (I got lost when I was out and about with friends). I don’t know what it was, but something really spooked me that night.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
My first thoughts on Sarah Everard were did she actually leave her friends at all (I think they’ve since seen her on doorbell CCTV) or did she make it home and something happened there. She called her boyfriend but what happened after that conversation?

Reactions: 6
From this map it looks like she left the common? Are they searching it because they think something happened and she ended up back there?
F2AB533B-E44B-419D-80B3-134911DD73D6.jpeg

Reactions: 6
I can’t stop thinking about this story, agree that hat looks like it’s been put there on purpose.

Had a look again, it doesn’t look like the CCTV one has a bobble on it, could be the angle.

I really hope they find her soon. I can’t stop following her story. I think lots of us on Tattle will resonate with Sarah Everard: absolutely “average” woman, early 30s, missing doing a very mundane and everyday task- walking.
I’ve been following this case too for the same reasons 😞 I imagine most of us have done similar and it’s especially frightening if something ‘random’ did happen to her.

I think it is looking most likely that something happened to her soon after she was last captured on CCTV - if she’d have made it home I wonder whether she would have likely been spotted in between there and home?

it’s so sad. Feeling so sorry for her friends and family.

• Heart
  • Sad
I can’t stop thinking about this story, agree that hat looks like it’s been put there on purpose.

Had a look again, it doesn’t look like the CCTV one has a bobble on it, could be the angle.
I don’t think they look the same. Wouldn’t it have been spotted earlier in such an obvious spot?

Ive just been that they aren’t believed to be linked to Sarah.

Reactions: 2

I got the impression that was irresponsible use of a stock photo as it doesn’t look like the same hat. Plus why would there be an opportunity for the press to get near it and the police would not release a photo like that in the media.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.