Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

givepeasachance

VIP Member
Took the poor wee mite four days to die once his neck had been snapped.
Even if the mum had a mental age of 11, she still would have known right from wrong. My 11 year old niece would know and even if she couldn't stop something, she would tell somebody. The 'mother' can clearly operate a bloody electric scooter when required. Why ON EARTH were they allowed to produce a child

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 22

TheMiceInTheShed

VIP Member
A WINSFORD man is back behind bars after subjecting his partner to months of ‘terrifying’ attacks - starting just three days after she gave birth to their stillborn child.

Archive link as you had to register to read the article.

Sentenced to a pathetic three years 😡 and his defence had the fucking nerve to claim ‘severe mental strain’ following the stillbirth of their child. Even the judge said he had the trauma of a bereavement as if that’s some sort of mitigation for doing all of this to his partner. Bearing in mind he was previously convicted of rape!!!

The 33-year-old, who was previously jailed in 2012 for rape, began abusing his partner in September 2022, with the ordeal lasting until May 2023.

During this time, Spann strangled her, tore out her hair while punching her in the face, and smashed her over the head with a wine bottle, leaving matted hair, broken glass and blood all over the bathroom floor.

He also beat her over the head and back with the leg of a broken child’s table, which a neighbour found covered in blood when she came to help after she heard screaming.

This all took place in the victim’s home, where Spann had no legal right to be, but when asked to leave on one occasion, said: “If I leave this house, you won’t be left alive in it.”

On another occasion, he asked her whether she thought ‘a fire engine would fit down her street.’

Police charged him with three counts each of intentional strangulation and assault causing actual bodily harm in relation to incidents between September 2022 and May 2023.
The sentences are derisory for domestic violence,

If he attacked another bloke in the street he'd get at least twice that. It's shocking - that poor woman, losing her baby, being savagely beaten, forced through a trial, and he gets a slapped wrist. He'll be out in about a year and a half.

• Sad
  • Angry

IcanSpellBéchamel

Chatty Member
I hate the way Emma Caldwell has been diminished in most reporting as a sex worker. Some reports don't even give her the dignity of her name.

• Sad

Marypoppins2

17yrs ago I worked with a couple who sold their home to Claudia Lawrence. They don’t know what happened by any stretch of imagination however, it’s often been mentioned locally it was something & someone in the pub that was very close by & accessible at the back of her house. Doubt she will ever be found. Truly heartbreaking. Her family are always in my thoughts when this is back in the media.

• Sad

Upintheair83

VIP Member
Why do some people have kids? To treat them in such evil ways?
This world makes me sick at times. I feel like we are going backwards instead of forwards.

Every day there seems to be some violence and mistreatment of children.
I was reading Gary Brucatos book The New Evil and I feel like we are moving further up the scale of evil all the time.

• Sad
I think people will (and already are) moving on to other breeds. German Shepards have suddenly started popping up in my local area,
I said this all along, in two years time we’ll all be chatting about the next breed to be banned. The gov need to crack down on shitty backyard breeders - but they won’t. They’ll just continue to ban the breeds one by one.

Be More Pacific

VIP Member
The crime happened in Edinburgh so the trial takes place there, where they do allow cameras in court. The family are from England, where we don’t allow filming in court. So the court scenes are all real and very interesting. BBC also have covered two other trials, one is Margaret Fleming and the other Dr Brenda Page, the series is called Murder Trial and it features the same prosecutor.
The disappearance of Renee MacRae and her son Andrew has also been covered by the Murder Trial series. All three are available on iPlayer.

Excellent series and approach, one I'm fully in favour of, as I've said before. No live reporting from inside court - we do not want the circus that is the USA justice here thank you - but edited highlights and commentary, from the people involved, AFTER the verdict is a good balance.

Really hoping we'll be seeing the Emma Cauldwell trial covered by them soon.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 21

givepeasachance

VIP Member
People have mentioned the pub and her body being buried in the university - I don’t know much about the Claudia Lawrence story so I was wondering what the hypothesis people have around her disappearance?

I think Claudia was killed by someone she was having an affair with, who possibly roped in a friend or two to either help him kill her or dispose of the body.

She may have been pregnant or had said she was going to tell the wife. I then think her body was put in the foundations of part of the uni being built at the time (the same uni she worked at). But I also believe that the police know exactly who's involved and have no evidence/ they are all covering for each other

• Sad
i met the deceased and have a very good friend that knew them,he was awful to her and was not a nice person
when i met him he was very full of himself
I think what is uncomfortable about this case is the after actions, so the burying. If she'd just stabbed him and then reached for help, given there seems to be a fair bit of evidence that he was very abusive, she may have escaped a prison sentence.

There's a missing link somewhere for women who are so badly abused that they lash out but the build up happens slowly. I don't think something should be changed legally though because people (men) need to be protected as well. Also, there seems to be a lot missing in the reporting of this case. The sentencing reports might make it clearer.

• Sad

Sundaytwelve

So many people go missing and are never found. I try not to think what could have happened to them. Imagine being a parent and never knowing what happened to your child who suddenly vanishes. I really do hope someone comes forward with info on Claudia. Personally I suspect she ended up in the foundations of the uni. Just heartbreaking.
I see the parents of Rory Johnson-Hatfield and Georgina Gharsallah appealing non stop and it breaks my heart. They’ve both been missing for years. Its so bewildering how people can go missing without a trace, but whats worse, is that someone has to know something. I was fixated on uk missing persons for quite a while and something i noticed was how many people, particularly BAME people, go missing within their first few months of being in the UK. Thousands of appeals and notices for these people and nothing ever shows up. So sad

• Sad

LouBug19

VIP Member
Saw a girl on the news tonight who said her Dad committed suicide and then 5 days later her brother also committed suicide. She has her brothers ashes but not her dad's. She's worried that it's not even her brothers ashes. It's absolutely awful what has happened. Maybe they didn't have the money to bury them or cremate them? I don't understand why they have done this. Someone said it could've been going on for years!

• Sad

Boogs

VIP Member
Please, please don't repeat anything that could identify the other woman in the house during the Huddersfield double murder.

Last time someone did this on here, I asked for the post to be removed and I'm going to do it again because, whoever the person was, she is a victim of sexual assault and, legally, that gives her the right to anonymity for the rest of her life unless SHE chooses to waive it.

Not trying to be police the thread or having a go at you specifically @Boogs but we all need to be mindful of this.

BBC did live reporting on the case yesterday, which is not usual. I think a whole life term is coming. It certainly fits the criteria in my opinion.
You’re totally right. I didn’t think when I posted that as I was angry. Glad it’s been edited.

I think the problem with domestic abuse is that lots of police still don’t seem to recognise the risks or consider threats and coercion to be abuse. I supported someone before who was terrified and couldn’t leave her house as the coercion and control had been so bad. We met with an officer from the domestic abuse unit who put a marker on her house and said if he appears at your door phone 999 straight away. She did this and the police who came out asked why she had called as he is not breaking the law by ringing her doorbell. She never called the police again and moved away not long after.

• Sad
  • Heart

MissTeddy

VIP Member
'Hawkes was already on the sex offenders register until November 2033 after last year being convicted of sexual activity with a child under 16 years old and exposure, for which he also received a community order.' Why does that not surprise me at all

Hawkes went to Long Riding Surgery in Basildon and took his shirt off as he entered the building before stripping off completely.
He then rubbed hand sanitizer on his genitals and walked around the foyer for five minutes

He sounds like a complete crackpot ... one very dangerous individual. Glad he's been jailed before this escalated further.

• Wow
  • Sick

Liverbird2003

VIP Member
I've just watched the Sarah Everard documentary. It was a tough watch. The behaviour of the police at the gathering was terrible. They knew emotions were heightened. Why couldn't they just let people be.

• Heart
Reactions: 20

Bread

Chatty Member
These men need to wear tags which start beeping the minute they go near a woman. If a man ever, ever attacks someone with such ferocity, that isn't a one off. If we can't lock these bastards up or have them executed we must be kept safe from them another way. My heart is breaking for all who are left to pick up the pieces. He is happy. He's done everything he wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
Reactions: 20