Racism on TV

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Only fools & Horses will be next there’s loads of “historical” racism in that. Since when was saying “Seth the black fella” racist? I totally get it mentions their race unnecessarily but really? It’s a stretch.
Yes like when they call the Indian doctor turbanator.

Someone on fb put that god awful white chicks/little Britain comparison pic on and said, ‘fair opinion??’ I commented ‘it would be fair if millionaire white socialite women had endured a history of dehumanisation and oppression. It takes literally 5 minutes to google why black face is offensive.’ And she’s not uneducated, she’s in her 30s with teenagers. I was glad to see some others saying the same but of course there were some who were all, ‘Yes exactly, get rid of that too!!’ 🤦🏻‍♀️ If you’re offended by two black comedians (I use that term lightly 😂) taking the piss out of obnoxious Paris Hilton types then you need to take a look at the news once in a while.

Reactions: 5
It looks as though Gavin and Stacy are next on the hit list. 🙄
Insensitivity towards a race 🙄 So inconvenient when it’s called out
If we removed everything that offended or upset anyone we’d have nothing yet.

I wouldn’t be surprised if in a few years friends gets banned. I know a lot of people in their teens and 20 who think it’s awfully unPC.

I’m a strong believer of you cannot judge something on today’s morals. Things have evolved and changed for the better and it’s great we have learnt from the past so isn’t it better to see the positive changes instead of censoring the past. If you don’t like or agree with something then don’t watch it.

Little Britain reminds me of my teens, and I think they did quite a good job of showing how bigoted people were not actively mocking that it was acceptable.
I think we still have plenty to watch.

I’ve given my opinion in above posts this so not going to repeat myself but if it’s not your race or culture that is used as a butt of a joke then please consider how you’d feel it it was.

We can’t keep Little Britain on just because it reminds you of your youth unfortunately. I understand you think the joke was on the bigot in these sketches but for someone who’s second language is English watching, it is an all to real reality that maybe they don’t find very funny

Reactions: 4
It looks as though Gavin and Stacy are next on the hit list. 🙄
That isn't true. The press are literally reporting on one tweet sent by a nobody that is probably just trying to turn people against BLM.

The Fawlty Towers episode contains 2 minutes of repeated use of the n-word and "w*g". Yes you're meant to laugh at the silly racist but it is not acceptable to broadcast those words at all.

I think these TV execs are probably well-meaning white people but by doing this now they are conflating the BLM movement with "PC nonsense gone mad". No one has actually called for these shows to be censored.

Insensitivity towards a race 🙄 So inconvenient when it’s called out

I think we still have plenty to watch.

I’ve given my opinion in above posts this so not going to repeat myself but if it’s not your race or culture that is used as a butt of a joke then please consider how you’d feel it it was.

We can’t keep Little Britain on just because it reminds you of your youth unfortunately. I understand you think the joke was on the bigot in these sketches but for someone who’s second language is English watching, it is an all to real reality that maybe they don’t find very funny
I’m a Irish immigrant with ginger hair I do understand being the butt of a joke.

Just because you don’t find it funny doesn’t mean it should be removed for those who do, just don’t watch it. As I said if we spoke to everyone in the world, someone would be offended or upset by most tv and film some way or another as we’d have to remove them all.

• Heart
I think we should remember that nothing is being banned, no one is gathering up all the old Little Britain dvds and burning them. If it doesn't offend you and you want to watch it I'm sure you can find somewhere to do that.
This is one company saying they don't want it on their platform, as is their right.

I think if I were a minority in this country, and I walked around my city and saw statues of the people that enslaved and tortured my ancestors, and I turned on the TV to see people blacking-up and acting out stereotypes, and then I went to school and people in the playground used those same stereotypes and catchphrases to mock me, I would feel that constant "othering" and judge that I am not truly a part of my own country.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I’m a Irish immigrant with ginger hair I do understand being the butt of a joke.

Just because you don’t find it funny doesn’t mean it should be removed for those who do, just don’t watch it. As I said if we spoke to everyone in the world, someone would be offended or upset by most tv and film some way or another as we’d have to remove them all.
I don’t think I’m going to continue talking to you if you’ve just compared being an Irish immigrant with ginger hair (as my mother is) to black oppression and racism on tv. I understand the troubles that Irish immigrants went through completely and often lived in communities with black people as they were both outcasted and unwelcome here within some peoples living memories but we’re talking about race here.
Thousands of years of mockery and oppression.

It's not bame groups who are removing statues and banning shows. They've got bigger issues to deal with right now, life and death issues. The statues removals has been led by white people, as has the removal of tv shows which are deemed racist. I've seen so much 'remove the mosques' posts on social media this week, but I don't see any Muslims throwing statues into the river. Let's face it, this is just another excuse to batter bame people, the racists are loving the patriotism. The irony, of course, is that Britain is the master of destroying history. It's completely whitewashed it's colonial and brutal past and destroyed thousands of historical documents detailing the horrors it inflicted around the world. And don't even get me started on rendition and secret torture of people which is ongoing. The hiding of evidence relating to historical child molestation/ abuse, hiding evidence about Prince Andrew etc etc. I could go on forever.

Racists really are dumb. I pity them all.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Yep these shows haven’t been banned. And no one was even calling for them to be removed, the TV execs are either trying to cause controversy or publicity. It’s taking away from the seriousness of the discussion now as these rumours spread on social media fanning the flames

Just 3 per cent of the UK's population is black. What right have they got to tell the other 97 per cent of us what we're allowed to watch or find funny?

• Wow
Reactions: 3
But it’s a good thing when people tell us they do. It lets us know exactly what they are.

The people who make this stuff must also be amused by it.
That’s very true. I can’t say I’d want to be associated with anyone who finds racism a joke

Reactions: 3
For anyone struggling to understand why blackface or using POC as the butt of jokes or entertainment is a disgrace this Podcast is a great place to start, the entire series is in-fact brilliant for anyone wanting to educate themselves on black history and oppression.

And please, stop using your token black mates from school/uni/work who you think found your black face jokes funny as justification for your racism it’s actually sickening.

And no, I’m not black x

Just 3 per cent of the UK's population is black. What right have they got to tell the other 97 per cent of us what we're allowed to watch or find funny?
It's not black people telling you what to watch (although do definitely do need to check your racist attitude). You're pretty stupid if you think it is only black people upset by racism.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
For anyone struggling to understand why blackface or using POC as the butt of jokes or entertainment is a disgrace this Podcast is a great place to start, the entire series is in-fact brilliant for anyone wanting to educate themselves on black history and oppression.

And please, stop using your token black mates from school/uni/work who you think found your black face jokes funny as justification for your racism it’s actually sickening.

And no, I’m not black x
And here is a link to why you might find your black friends going along with your ‘jokes’

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.