Racism on TV

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm happy to be educated on this... but I dont understand why white people are so offended? A friend of mine on facebook was so angry yesterday that little Britain had been taken off screen yet it actually did have very racist scenes.

Reactions: 9
I didn’t find Little Britain funny and it shocks me that it was acceptable to do blackface on TV so recently. Same with people defending Justin Trudeau’s blackface costume from the same era. I’m from a very white area and don’t remember it being considered okay at that time 🤷🏻‍♀️

As for White Chicks, I only vaguely remember watching it (also not funny) but firstly, it speaks volumes that this is the one example of ‘white face’ that keeps getting brought up vs a whole culture and history of blackface. Secondly, the ‘chicks’ part is integral but for some reason ignored. Blackface targets black men and women indiscriminately, whereas White Chicks targeted a very specific subgroup of white women. I don’t think it’s the same as blackface at all, but if that argument is going to be made then why aren’t there claims of misogyny? The film would be completely different if it featured white men rather than women, who are also a marginalised group

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I hope this doesn’t offend but genuinely... why is it offensive to dress up as any colour or race? I totally understand if you’re saying offensive things or being racist but my daughter dressing up as moana, tiana, Mulan... surely it’s the same? If you’re just dressing up for a show why is it offensive?

Reactions: 4
I hope this doesn’t offend but genuinely... why is it offensive to dress up as any colour or race? I totally understand if you’re saying offensive things or being racist but my daughter dressing up as moana, tiana, Mulan... surely it’s the same? If you’re just dressing up for a show why is it offensive?
Blackface specifically stems from racism

You're not painting your daughter so her skin matches the character that she's dressing up as so it's not really the same.

Reactions: 6
It’s a multifaceted issue, the main one being that it reduces entire ethnicities down to (often stereotypical/inaccurate) costumes or characters, which a white person can play about with then choose to discard without facing any of the issues that BAME face for being their race, wearing their traditional clothing, partaking in their culture, etc

If all races were on an equal footing in society, maybe it wouldn’t be so offensive

Another issue regarding white people appropriating other cultures for TV/films is that it takes work away from BAME actors who have less opportunities in the first place

A child dressing up as a character isn’t an issue unless they're also doing blackface (though how sympathetic or accurate Disney’s portrayals are is another conversation)

• Heart
Reactions: 7
So going forward what will happen? your going to have to hire a black person to do the black sketch.

I'm happy to be educated on this... but I dont understand why white people are so offended? A friend of mine on facebook was so angry yesterday that little Britain had been taken off screen yet it actually did have very racist scenes.
right, I was trying to explain the issue and difference between white chicks and little Britain on fb, and they seemed so angry, why be so triggered

I'm not sure that it's the right thing to just remove everything and pretend it never happened. I saw this disclaimer Warner Brothers put up before some of their cartoons (not sure when this was or which ones) and think that this is a sensible approach. Acknowledge that these things came about at a different time, that it was wrong and that going forward we can learn from our past mistakes.

1591888522372.png

Although Little Britain has always been unfunny trash so should be removed permanently😂

• Haha
Reactions: 8
right, I was trying to explain the issue and difference between white chicks and little Britain on fb, and they seemed so angry, why be so triggered
I've found the same people getting angry about this on my facebook are the same people who want the statues to stay up, are calling protestors 'animals' and are insisting that the UK isn't racist.
I've noticed a pattern.

Reactions: 8
I'm not sure that it's the right thing to just remove everything and pretend it never happened. I saw this disclaimer Warner Brothers put up before some of their cartoons (not sure when this was or which ones) and think that this is a sensible approach. Acknowledge that these things came about at a different time, that it was wrong and that going forward we can learn from our past mistakes.

View attachment 151652

Although Little Britain has always been unfunny trash so should be removed permanently😂
Please correct me if I’m wrong, I’m assuming you are white?

please just think how you feel if your race was often mocked on tv or you have to continue to see them at a time they were enslaved or in subservient roles as that’s all society deemed them fit for (the maid in Tom & Jerry for example).
We know it’s history but we’re trying to move forward. They could be kept for educational purposes to show children how different Ethnicities used to be represented but to watch this as entertainment feels wrong for me.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
If you want to try and ubd

View attachment 151652

I think that's a good idea. Though I agree about little Britain, it's crap

Reactions: 1
I've found the same people getting angry about this on my facebook are the same people who want the statues to stay up, are calling protestors 'animals' and are insisting that the UK isn't racist.
I've noticed a pattern.
Yep, tends to be people from school who I don’t remember being very intellectual or interested in history, though the whitewashing of education in the U.K. doesn’t help.

Reactions: 3
HBO Max announced this week it had temporarily pulled the 1939 movie “Gone With the Wind” from its service because of “racist depictions.”

“‘Gone With The Wind’ is a product of its time and depicts some of the ethnic and racial prejudices that have, unfortunately, been commonplace in American society," a spokesperson said. "These racist depictions were wrong then and are wrong today, and we felt that to keep this title up without an explanation and a denouncement of those depictions would be irresponsible.

do we now just wipe the hard drive and start again?
I don’t know how far they’re planning to take this? Will it be put back up with a caution or warning.
things are changing that’s for sure.

Reactions: 3
It's all getting out of hand, this is the UK, why are we pandering to the minority?

Our historic statues are being removed, this is our history, for those that don't like it, either don't look or move elsewhere.

Half of the idiots protesting haven't a clue why they are doing it, just jumped on the bandwagon.

What next shall we change,
White wedding, white as snow, snow white, The White House etc etc
It's ridiculous, they are trying to wipe out our heritage & history.

Saw a couple of horrific videos on Twitter this morning, one a White officer being beaten up by a black man, where's the outrage.

The 2nd was a old black lady sitting on the tube being kicked in the face and head by a black man, where's the outrage 😡 😡😡 😡 😡

Just glad I won't be around in 30yrs,but I fear for my kids & grandkids growing up in what could well become a 3rd world country with people so feral running around attacking & killing each other.

More riots to come this weekend, all over a criminal who was a nasty piece of work dying 4000 miles away.
This is so tone deaf it hurts to read...

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
HBO Max announced this week it had temporarily pulled the 1939 movie “Gone With the Wind” from its service because of “racist depictions.”

“‘Gone With The Wind’ is a product of its time and depicts some of the ethnic and racial prejudices that have, unfortunately, been commonplace in American society," a spokesperson said. "These racist depictions were wrong then and are wrong today, and we felt that to keep this title up without an explanation and a denouncement of those depictions would be irresponsible.

do we now just wipe the hard drive and start again?
I don’t know how far they’re planning to take this? Will it be put back up with a caution or warning.
things are changing that’s for sure.
I read they're putting it back up with a discussion about the racist prejudices that it depicts. So I don't think they're taking it down permanently.

Reactions: 1
This is so tone deaf it hurts to read...
that user has made their distaste for the whole movement obvious before. Easier just to scroll past!

Carry on laughing, I think for myself, I don't jump on bandwagons.

By the time you all wake up, it will be too late.
bAnDwAgOn
1591890453014.png

If you think it's a bandwagon then you're part of the problem. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 16
You write as if we are unaware of what is happening. I'm loving the changes, the discussion, the fact that hatred isn't being tolerated. I'm excited to see where this goes and that my children and grandchildren have a better world to live in. This isn't getting rid of history, this is history in the making and its brilliant.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.