Racism on TV

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So going forward what will happen? your going to have to hire a black person to do the black sketch.
Or maybe don't have sketches which make fun of people of colour, disabled, or any other minority? Blackface is rooted in caricature and racism. Just like drag is offensive to women as it depicts us all as overly made up tarts. Some of the comments on this thread are shocking, and to think social media is full of people saying there's no racism in the UK.

Why hasn't it been brought up before? Well maybe because black voices and the voices of the disabled are always ignored. No one listens. Even now blm is drowned out by mainly white people removing statues of racists because they have more of powerful voice and footprint. Of course, it's people of colour who are being attacked for the removal of statues.

Seriously, if any of you don't have an issue with blackface then please understand that you are racist. Go away and reflect. Read up on the history of it, why it's offensive, instead posting on a forum when you can easily Google the answers to inane questions like 'why are people offended though hun?'.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Or maybe don't have sketches which make fun of people of colour, disabled, or any other minority? Blackface is rooted in caricature and racism. Just like drag is offensive to women as it depicts us all as overly made up tarts. Some of the comments on this thread are shocking, and to think social media is full of people saying there's no racism in the UK.

Why hasn't it been brought up before? Well maybe because black voices and the voices of the disabled are always ignored. No one listens. Even now blm is drowned out by mainly white people removing statues of racists because they have more of powerful voice and footprint. Of course, it's people of colour who are being attacked for the removal of statues.

Seriously, if any of you don't have an issue with blackface then please understand that you are racist. Go away and reflect. Read up on the history of it, why it's offensive, instead posting on a forum when you can easily Google the answers to inane questions like 'why are people offended though hun?'.
I would love a clap reaction on tattle šŸ‘šŸ¼

Reactions: 5
It's all getting out of hand, this is the UK, why are we pandering to the minority?

Our historic statues are being removed, this is our history, for those that don't like it, either don't look or move elsewhere.

Half of the idiots protesting haven't a clue why they are doing it, just jumped on the bandwagon.

What next shall we change,
White wedding, white as snow, snow white, The White House etc etc
It's ridiculous, they are trying to wipe out our heritage & history.

Saw a couple of horrific videos on Twitter this morning, one a White officer being beaten up by a black man, where's the outrage.

The 2nd was a old black lady sitting on the tube being kicked in the face and head by a black man, where's the outrage šŸ˜” šŸ˜”šŸ˜” šŸ˜” šŸ˜”

Just glad I won't be around in 30yrs,but I fear for my kids & grandkids growing up in what could well become a 3rd world country with people so feral running around attacking & killing each other.

More riots to come this weekend, all over a criminal who was a nasty piece of work dying 4000 miles away.
And they say racism doesn't exist in the UK!

Reactions: 8
And they say racism doesn't exist in the UK!
the saddest and funniest thing about that is that Boris said that himself. Our very racist PM said that the country he is in charge of is not racist.

complete joke.

Reactions: 6
It's akin to white people on this thread saying they don't find blackface offensive. Talk about dim.

People get more offended by being called racist then they do about racism
I think that depends on the situation like when someone didn't like Meghan they were called racist. No they wasn't racist they didn't like her as a person not because of her mixed race heritage.

Reactions: 4
I think that depends on the situation like when someone didn't like Meghan they were called racist. No they wasn't racist they didn't like her as a person not because of her mixed race heritage.
It wasnā€™t such a black and white (so annoying that thatā€™s the most apt allusion/ expression) issue. For sure itā€™s reductive and annoying to deflect any constructive criticism of her with claims of racism. Meghan is no doubt a problematic figure responsible for some questionable actions that should not be immune from being pointed out. But at the same time, acknowledging that fact doesnā€™t mean all accusations of racism regarding how she was represented and discussed should be dismissed entirely.
In the early days thereā€™s no doubt the UK press was responsible for some very thinly veiled racist allusions - calling Meghan ā€œstraight outta Comptonā€ factually dubiously seemingly just because she was black and from LA and drawing attention to her mothers dreadlocks to make them seem as ā€˜Otherā€™ to the royals as possible was deservedly called out.
That was all some time ago though. Once they were married and she started getting bad press i would have to look closer at it to form an opinion but it certainly doesnā€™t seem to have been as obvious.

Reactions: 2
It wasnā€™t such a black and white (so annoying that thatā€™s the most apt allusion/ expression) issue. For sure itā€™s reductive and annoying to deflect any constructive criticism of her with claims of racism. Meghan is no doubt a problematic figure responsible for some questionable actions that should not be immune from being pointed out. But at the same time, acknowledging that fact doesnā€™t mean all accusations of racism regarding how she was represented and discussed should be dismissed entirely.
In the early days thereā€™s no doubt the UK press was responsible for some very thinly veiled racist allusions - calling Meghan ā€œstraight outta Comptonā€ factually dubiously seemingly just because she was black and from LA and drawing attention to her mothers dreadlocks to make them seem as ā€˜Otherā€™ to the royals as possible was deservedly called out.
That was all some time ago though. Once they were married and she started getting bad press i would have to look closer at it to form an opinion but it certainly doesnā€™t seem to have been as obvious.
Of course I didn't mean some of peoples dislike towards wasn't because of her race and I agree in the early days the press did print racist slurs. But even now if someone says something negative about meghan some people shout racist and I don't always think its as clear cut as that.

Reactions: 1
Blackface is a historically offensive and degrading thing. Itā€™s racist and shouldnā€™t be used. I fully support any shows using it being removed

White face I view completely differently. I donā€™t think anyone has ever genuinely been offended by it. We donā€™t suffer from racism. People are kicking up a fuss about ā€œwhite faceā€ just as a counter argument to black face. It isnā€™t the same, never has been the same.

Reactions: 7
Blackface is a historically offensive and degrading thing. Itā€™s racist and shouldnā€™t be used. I fully support any shows using it being removed

White face I view completely differently. I donā€™t think anyone has ever genuinely been offended by it. We donā€™t suffer from racism. People are kicking up a fuss about ā€œwhite faceā€ just as a counter argument to black face. It isnā€™t the same, never has been the same.
If your only response to black face is white chicks you are on shaky ground šŸ˜†

Reactions: 6
If your only response to black face is white chicks you are on shaky ground šŸ˜†
Well exactly. People are only saying it needs to be removed because they want to argue blackface and say that ā€œwhite people experience it tooā€. I fully support the removal of anything with blackface in it but Iā€™m not sure white chicks needs removing because of ā€œwhite faceā€

Pinchme definitely needs a pinch. I bet he or she is the one who shouts at people to go back to their country.
The new one I've seen on social media is

"If you don't like it then leave!!"

but then, the same people also tell Syrian refugees to piss off for doing exactly that.

Reactions: 3
The new one I've seen on social media is

"If you don't like it then leave!!"

but then, the same people also tell Syrian refugees to piss off for doing exactly that.
I mean, the same could be said for them. If they donā€™t like protesters tearing down statues (or even just people peacefully petitioning for their removal), then leave. I believe North Korea would be a good fit...

Reactions: 4
Because there is a movement happening where black people are finally being listened to.
it has always been offsenive but people were gaslighted POC by being told things such as ā€˜donā€™t be so sensitiveā€™ or ā€˜theyā€™re not even racist itā€™s just a jokeā€™

this also stands for other races as Ant and Decā€™s Japanese impersonation has been removed too.

black facing never has and never will be funny.

You could contact Netflix or Sky about showing Netflix?

Just out of interest is anyone who has commented so far black?
Iā€™m not black and I donā€™t make this kind of comment on these matters. I sometimes wonder why certain things happen/matter but wait until a post like yours to help inform me. Iā€™m aware Iā€™m in need of educating but that doesnā€™t make me an ignorant bleep, I donā€™t think.

All of Little Britain made me uncomfortable and I will admit I didnā€™t notice the racism until it was pointed out to me. Probably because I have the white privilege of not having to notice it. Iā€™m female so the misogyny I could see, clear as day.

Iā€™m dismayed at the amount of all lives matter shite I see on my fb timeline. Even I see how fkn crass that is.

I absolutely agree with the BLM protests but I wonā€™t take part in one physically until the pandemic is over. Then I worry about anyone BAME thinking the white people taking part are doing it because of a need to be seen to be doing it rather than actually giving a tit.

My 15 year old asked me if she could attend one at the weekend and Iā€™ve agreed as long as she keeps to the social distancing rules.

I felt a lot of emotions when I watched George Floyd being murdered but the lasting one was shame.

Iā€™ve always thought of myself as not racist and Iā€™ve been anti-racist some of the time but not always. Iā€™m nearly 50 so speaking my anti-racist mind all the time from here on in shouldnā€™t be any trouble for me or others like me given recent events.

Iā€™m Scottish and one of my favourite things is when I meet someone with brown skin with a broad Scottish accent. Itā€™s unexpected and so cool. I donā€™t even know if that breaks the offside rule or not...obv other accents are fine too.

Bit of a ramble there. I was a waitress in an Indian restaurant as a teen and lost count of the number of customers who said ā€œwhat you doing working for PĀ£&@s?ā€ My best reply was to say ā€œ what you doing eating here?ā€. I did drinks service so these customers would get blank drinks where I could do it (blank = very small amount of spirits rubbed on rim of glass, mixer and ice in the glass then a fraction of a measure on top) - arseholes.

Reactions: 7
Please correct me if Iā€™m wrong, Iā€™m assuming you are white?

please just think how you feel if your race was often mocked on tv or you have to continue to see them at a time they were enslaved or in subservient roles as thatā€™s all society deemed them fit for (the maid in Tom & Jerry for example).
We know itā€™s history but weā€™re trying to move forward. They could be kept for educational purposes to show children how different Ethnicities used to be represented but to watch this as entertainment feels wrong for me.
I am white, and you're right I think that would feel rather demeaning which I hadn't considered. Thank you xxx

• Heart
Only fools & Horses will be next thereā€™s loads of ā€œhistoricalā€ racism in that. Since when was saying ā€œSeth the black fellaā€ racist? I totally get it mentions their race unnecessarily but really? Itā€™s a stretch.

If we removed everything that offended or upset anyone weā€™d have nothing yet.

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if in a few years friends gets banned. I know a lot of people in their teens and 20 who think itā€™s awfully unPC.

Iā€™m a strong believer of you cannot judge something on todayā€™s morals. Things have evolved and changed for the better and itā€™s great we have learnt from the past so isnā€™t it better to see the positive changes instead of censoring the past. If you donā€™t like or agree with something then donā€™t watch it.

Little Britain reminds me of my teens, and I think they did quite a good job of showing how bigoted people were not actively mocking that it was acceptable.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.