Questions for those who have been through menopause

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had the menopause start about 10 years ago and had a number of the usual symptoms including brain fog, weight gain around the middle and awful night sweats.

A lot of women are unaware that depression and anxiety are also symptoms of the menopause and this seems to be overlooked by many people. I felt depressed for a number of years and put it down to life events at the time but on reflection I think the menopause played a big part.

I decided not to go onto HRT, although I have friends who swear by it. The symptoms do gradually ease if you ride it out. One thing I have noticed is that your body temperature regulation never returns to what it was pre menopause.

Reactions: 6
I personally think more should be invested in education of what the menopause is and the myriad of symptoms that creep up on us. I sold my business, got a well paying job and quit that too before I found out that it was the menopause making me feel like tit, not the business or job. I estimate it's cost me atleast £100,000 in lost income. I wasn't in denial either, I'd even asked my GP when I had my coil changed how I would recognise when I was menopausal and she just blew me off telling me I'd probably not even notice.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I personally think more should be invested in education of what the menopause is and the myriad of symptoms that creep up on us. I sold my business, got a well paying job and quit that too before I found out that it was the menopause making me feel like tit, not the business or job. I estimate it's cost me atleast £100,000 in lost income. I wasn't in denial either, I'd even asked my GP when I had my coil changed how I would recognise when I was menopausal and she just blew me off telling me I'd probably not even notice.
Apparently GPs get half a days training on menopause. There are plans to change that, belatedly. I went to see a locum GP recently and as an aside she said she does not believe in HRT. I wasn’t there for that, but if I was, imagine the difficulty I would have had in getting it.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Apparently GPs get half a days training on menopause. There are plans to change that, belatedly. I went to see a locum GP recently and as an aside she said she does not believe in HRT. I wasn’t there for that, but if I was, imagine the difficulty I would have had in getting it.
Exactly the same happened to my friend :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1
Makes me sick hearing "super heros" brag that they did the menopause with no help 👏 👏 👏
You would think by the time women reach the menopause they would understand that everyone has a different experience with their reproductive organs at every stage. When I 1st got my periods it was awful. I bled very heavily and it felt like someone had their fist inside me trying to drag my insides out. One particular time the school called my Mum because I was in so much pain and the witch rocked up with some aspirin, gave it to me and drove off. 15 years later when she started the menopause she appreciated what pain I had been in and did apologise. An awful lot of women just think that because it's easy sailing for them, the rest of us are moaners and malingerers. It's the same with pregnancy and childbirth

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I’m at the stage I’m going to kill my husband 🤬 he’s been pushing my buttons for a few weeks now, il be sitting watching the tv and he will come in and say you look in a mood, your face is tripping you, it’s your choice to stay in it or come out if it 🤬🤬🤬 I tried to explain to him that the more he comes at me with these comments the longer it will take but I feel he’s going out his way to get a reaction from me 🤬 he asked me when will the menopause stop I said this is it there is no end date NO CONSIDERATION FOR ME only him 🤬🤬🤬

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
I’m at the stage I’m going to kill my husband 🤬 he’s been pushing my buttons for a few weeks now, il be sitting watching the tv and he will come in and say you look in a mood, your face is tripping you, it’s your choice to stay in it or come out if it 🤬🤬🤬 I tried to explain to him that the more he comes at me with these comments the longer it will take but I feel he’s going out his way to get a reaction from me 🤬 he asked me when will the menopause stop I said this is it there is no end date NO CONSIDERATION FOR ME only him 🤬🤬🤬
If only you could get a pause from the man. Twerp. Putting himself into the centre of things.

Reactions: 4
If only you could get a pause from the man. Twerp. Putting himself into the centre of things.
I feel that since iv been peri menopause I’m more aware/alert and see how people really are and can see through their fakeness and bullshit. Or is it just an age thing?? Does anyone else feel this ??

I feel that since iv been peri menopause I’m more aware/alert and see how people really are and can see through their fakeness and bullshit. Or is it just an age thing?? Does anyone else feel this ??
I’m like this too, think it’s because I have zero patience now lol

Also, since the pandemic people have definitely got harder. Less likely to engage. For people who were lonely before I would imagine that they are even lonelier. Obvs not menopause related but my lack of patience and being quite happy to not talk to anyone anymore is both post pandemic and menopause. Apparently when you go through menopause you lose the maternal side of you, you become a bit more selfish and put yourself first, stop people pleasing. Not true for all but a recognised outcome nonetheless. I do think women haven been given the crappy end of the stick in life. Periods, menopause - all quite debilitating.

Reactions: 7
I’m like this too, think it’s because I have zero patience now lol
Yeah probably that to 🤣

Makes me sick hearing "super heros" brag that they did the menopause with no help 👏 👏 👏
Some of the women that iv spoken to regarding menopause have been a bit smug about it “oh I was fine didn’t take HRT” they made me feel as if I should just get on with it and why would I ask for help or take anything 🤬

Hi 👋 iv got a question 🥴 I was wondering if this is related to peri menopause,
The past few months iv woken up between 2:40-4:30 am, my body aches all over, bones, muscles and feels really heavy when I try to turn over. When I wake up at my normal time I seem to be ok, has anyone had anything similar??
I get the opposite. If I wake up through the night for the loo, I usually feel fine. But by the time I get up properly I feel like I've ran a marathon in my sleep and generally feel like utter poo 😒

Also, since the pandemic people have definitely got harder. Less likely to engage. For people who were lonely before I would imagine that they are even lonelier. Obvs not menopause related but my lack of patience and being quite happy to not talk to anyone anymore is both post pandemic and menopause. Apparently when you go through menopause you lose the maternal side of you, you become a bit more selfish and put yourself first, stop people pleasing. Not true for all but a recognised outcome nonetheless. I do think women haven been given the crappy end of the stick in life. Periods, menopause - all quite debilitating.
That’s really interesting because I feel like that exactly, like I want to put myself first after 32 years of parenting ( I have two children 16 years apart 😅)

Reactions: 2
I get the opposite. If I wake up through the night for the loo, I usually feel fine. But by the time I get up properly I feel like I've ran a marathon in my sleep and generally feel like utter poo 😒
I can't cope with the tiredness, if that's even a word. Coupled with brain fog , I mean , I've no chance. And as for patience, well it's always been thin .....🤣

• Haha
Yeah probably that to 🤣

Some of the women that iv spoken to regarding menopause have been a bit smug about it “oh I was fine didn’t take HRT” they made me feel as if I should just get on with it and why would I ask for help or take anything 🤬
Research is now showing that going on HRT before your estrogen receptors shut down can significantly reduce your risk of dementia and Parkinsons aswell as other conditions predominately suffered by women so not sure they have anything to be smug about. I think the benefits of taking HRT outweigh the risks considerably

Research is now showing that going on HRT before your estrogen receptors shut down can significantly reduce your risk of dementia and Parkinsons aswell as other conditions predominately suffered by women so not sure they have anything to be smug about. I think the benefits of taking HRT outweigh the risks considerably
I agree, the benefits of HRT aren’t really discussed. It’s also proven to prevent/lessen a lot of bladder issues such as urgency and UTIs but they never say about that either 🙄

Would like to thank you all for your support and sharing your experience’s, this thread has really helped me so much 🙏🏻 😘

• Heart
I agree, the benefits of HRT aren’t really discussed. It’s also proven to prevent/lessen a lot of bladder issues such as urgency and UTIs but they never say about that either 🙄
Yes, I mean someone might 'sail through' the menopause, no HRT believed to be required - but I still think about the long-term health impacts of having three vital hormones missing from your body.

My mum for example, never took HRT - her menopause could be considered 'mild' for lack of a better word - she's 66 now and for the past number of years has suffered terribly with bladder issues/UTI's and gout (which she discovered is usually menopause related in women of 60). Plus her stress and anxiety over really innocuous things is still at peak level.

She never really will acknowledge any of this is a lasting effect of the menopause, though, because, "Oh, it's nothing to do with that. I had that years ago." :rolleyes: