Qatar World Cup 2022 đŸ‡¶đŸ‡Š

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Exactly. The media and pundits lack any awareness as to why the other home nations get so annoyed about them. They act like they’re always the favourites or in with a chance when the reality is they’ve not won anything since 1966. I think that the pressure put on the players by the media is a big part of the reason they always bottle it. Let them go without expectation and they could surprise you but until then get a grip.
i think it’s hard to explain to someone who’s english tbh because they don’t fully get the isolation of it. the use of us and we. the assumption that you will and should support them (which isn’t returned. i remember the bbc using half time of wales v belgium to talk about england) because you’re british. the way the tv coverage always forgets they’re addressing the uk as a whole.

whenever i try and explain it to english friends they’re like “but we would support YOU” but they don’t understand how it’s different. so many people think british = english and it bugs me. but this isn’t the thread for my welsh insecurities đŸ€Ł

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I was just talking about this with my husband! I hate how the pundits say ‘we’ when talking about England. They should just address them as ‘England’ - and this is coming from an English person! It really annoys me!

Reactions: 6
i think it’s hard to explain to someone who’s english tbh because they don’t fully get the isolation of it. the use of us and we. the assumption that you will and should support them (which isn’t returned. i remember the bbc using half time of wales v belgium to talk about england) because you’re british. the way the tv coverage always forgets they’re addressing the uk as a whole.

whenever i try and explain it to english friends they’re like “but we would support YOU” but they don’t understand how it’s different. so many people think british = english and it bugs me. but this isn’t the thread for my welsh insecurities đŸ€Ł
They don’t support us though. They’ve been vile about Wales since we went further than them in 2016. They love mocking Scotland for being tit as well.

Reactions: 7
I am English and I fully understand the world’s beef with this nation. Exceptionalism. Eugh.

The commentary was ABYSMAL.

Played well, unlucky. There is hope where there used to just be despondency.

Im not English and Im not really bothered about the result. I dont actively root for their opponents but wouldnt support them either. I do actually feel like the players are a really great bunch, likeable and personable so I am sad for them and its not nice to see the young guys so upset.

I was dreading it going to penalties and poor Saka or Rashford missing and getting dogs abuse.

However Im glad the commentary is over. To insinuate it was missed opportunity because its Morocco is gross.

They don’t support us though. They’ve been vile about Wales since we went further than them in 2016. They love mocking Scotland for being tit as well.
oh exactly, i think it’s easy to say oh we would support you because they don’t see us as a valid threat.

i have never ever forgotten in 2016, wales beating belgium, a historic achievement for us, and the bbc spent half time talking about where england had gone wrong a few days before. and i bring it up whenever an english person asks me why i don’t support them in football (or rugby).

• Heart
Reactions: 4
i'm english but don't feel connected to the stereotypical / loudest fans at all. i enjoy when 'we' do well because of the general buzz it creates but on the other hand the crash that follows a loss is just way too intense. much prefer games where we're seen as the underdog, and in the same sense i'd rather watch wales beat england. the pundits have way overhyped england's success since the euros ish though which takes away that underdog feeling so lately i'm even more indifferent than i was.

Reactions: 1
All the pundits don't help themselves. 'This is a missed opportunity' because it would have been Morocco in the semis, as though that would have been a guaranteed win.

This is why everyone jokes 'anyone but England'.
No, but beating France would have meant that we beat the favourites and then that gives us a massive edge going into the next round. I do agree with the pundits there. France are favourites and current holders so beating them would have been massive, especially in regards to confidence too. There are no guarantees though, of course. Morocco do seem to be playing well, so we'll see how they get on vs France.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
That was a good game. England performed better than I expected to be honest. France were made to look quite average. Problem with football is it's all about fine margins. England have some good young players coming through the ranks and can only continue improving, so I'm optimistic for the next world cup and upcoming international competitions.

The world cup is hard to win. The almighty Brazil haven't won it for 20 (will be 24 by 2026) years, that just proves how difficult it is. Only a 8 countries have won it. Even small country like Uruguay have won it twice, which is impressive. Spain have won it once, the same as us. I think it does get overblown how few times we've won the world cup.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I couldn’t watch the game as I was working but listening to the end of first half and the second half on the radio it sounded like England were mostly the better team and got unlucky with decisions.
I want Argentina to win now

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
If you are English and a football fan, why wouldn’t you want England to win?
Quoting myself here, but this is why:

I’ll watch it all as usual but can’t muster any enthusiasm for England. Southgate has run true to form and selected the usual suspects. Can’t even be bothered to get pissed off about Maguire and Rashford.
Just want Pope (not that he’ll figure) Tripps and Wilson home ASAP uninjured.
This is without taking into account the timing, the host country and Sepp Blatter.
Come on Croatia (and Brazil).

So many comments from the Engerland fans on SM about Mbappe ‘not being good enough from the Premier League’. Presumably that why several of the big clubs have been sniffing around him for the last few years 😂 I mean didn’t Liverpool try and buy him at one point? He’s not playing in the PL because he doesn’t want to! These people talk such rubbish and this just fuels the ‘anyone but England’ feeling. There is a thread currently running on MN where people are explaining far more eloquently than I am exactly why so many of us feel the way that we do about the England mens team and its just not going in at all. So many English people lack any insight about how they behave and how they are seen by the rest of the world. Apparently this is jealousy, jealousy over what? Scotland were a better side than England for many years, Ireland qualified in 1994 and England didn’t Wales went further in 2016. We all qualified for the Euro’s last year. Jealousy over 1966?! An event that will fade from living memory within the next decade? If you say so 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 4
England fans need to be more chill and enjoy the ride. Go into tournaments with far less expectation.

Mbappe could walk into 90% of the Premier League teams if he wanted. Hes on megabucks at PSG and is presumably happy there putting the Madrid rumours to the side.

If he isnt that good why was he marked by 2 or 3 men the majority of the game last night? 🙈

Giroud and Griezman left to their own devices. Keeping Mbappe on such a short leash allowed the second goal. However had he not been nullified then there may have been other goals.

England were good last night, they didnt play bad at all and Id like to see the players getting the credit for that and achievement at reaching a quarter final. The media / pundits are unrealistic and over ambitious and make this a failure when it isnt. Theyre just not clinical enough in the final third, Brazil had 11 shots on target against Croatia's 1. Croatia went through albeit on penalties but they went through due to that one shot.

There is no point in peppering the box with balls and hoping one goes in, at this level mistakes arent made often. You need to finese those final strikes.

I dont think any team at this tournament has played their best. Id like Croatia to win now 😊

• Heart
So many comments from the Engerland fans on SM about Mbappe ‘not being good enough from the Premier League’. Presumably that why several of the big clubs have been sniffing around him for the last few years 😂 I mean didn’t Liverpool try and buy him at one point? He’s not playing in the PL because he doesn’t want to! These people talk such rubbish and this just fuels the ‘anyone but England’ feeling. There is a thread currently running on MN where people are explaining far more eloquently than I am exactly why so many of us feel the way that we do about the England mens team and its just not going in at all. So many English people lack any insight about how they behave and how they are seen by the rest of the world. Apparently this is jealousy, jealousy over what? Scotland were a better side than England for many years, Ireland qualified in 1994 and England didn’t Wales went further in 2016. We all qualified for the Euro’s last year. Jealousy over 1966?! An event that will fade from living memory within the next decade? If you say so 😂
the mbappe stuff is ridiculous. he had a quiet game yesterday because england had at least two men on him (and not in a good way) at all times. i’m also sick of seeing that photo of him laughing after the penalty miss - the abject horror that england feel whenever anyone doesn’t roll over for them (i hate him, but see also ronaldo’s wink) is so entitled. he knew that, in the moment, his team was probably going to the semis but is apparently not allowed to express an emotion about that.

given how much england fans celebrated germany getting knocked out i would say they have very short memories. though their continued belief that they have an epic rivalry with germany because of 1966 when germany went onto win multiple tournaments after that and genuinely do not care anymore is ridic đŸ€Ł

• Haha
Reactions: 5