Qatar World Cup 2022 🇶🇦

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Since squads are being announced & it’s not long until the World Cup I thought I’d start this thread

Reactions: 9
Great idea!

My husband and children are going out for the USA and Wales games. I just ordered all the children's kits which cost a small fortune.

It is a throughly stupid is for a winter world cup and I think the England squad is pretty flat and dull. Like I said on the other thread Tomori missing out and Dier and Maguire going is the stupidest decision. Disappointing to not see Toney included too. You know those in form players Southgate promised to pick vs those with big reputations.

Nevertheless, 21st November at 1pm... 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Reactions: 3
It’s definitely going to be different with it being held in Winter but I’m here for it!

Reactions: 1
Honestly I’m struggling to muster any degree of excitement or enthusiasm for this World Cup. Usually I try watch as many matches as possible but this time around I don’t think I’ll be watching as much. I’m also struggling ethically to support a tournament bought by a country with a terrible human rights record.

Also unless I’ve missed it there seems to be a lack of promo on the BBC (I don’t watch itv unless it’s football so can’t speak of it) compared to the women’s euros and previous mens tournaments. Same in shops I’m not seeing the usual displays of beer/snacks etc (possibly because of Xmas displays) but it just feels weird there’s just generally no real hype almost everyone I know it’s just indifferent towards it.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I think on top of Qatar being Qatar, the break in the regular season at winter is all kinds of wrong. These tournaments are summer, beer gardens with St George's flags, plastic hats, big screens, tribalism together, not dark, damp, grey November days with 1pm kick offs on work days watching alone on a wonky stream.

Reactions: 23
Why would anyone want to visit a country where rape victims are imprisoned for "adultery"? I wouldn't give this country a penny of my money.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 40
Seems like multiple host countries will be the new thing after this wc? The next one is anyway and seems like 2030 will as well

I just can't get excited for this, I'm not even sure I'll watch much of it.

I think it's the combination of the world cup being during Winter, being in Qatar, being in the middle of the league season, very little advertisement (apart from ITV advertising it's own programming, has anyone seen any adverts from corporate sponsors?), Xmas coming up and the corruption/death/slavery aspect.

I’ll watch it all as usual but can’t muster any enthusiasm for England. Southgate has run true to form and selected the usual suspects. Can’t even be bothered to get pissed off about Maguire and Rashford.
Just want Pope (not that he’ll figure) Tripps and Wilson home ASAP uninjured.
This is without taking into account the timing, the host country and Sepp Blatter.
Come on Croatia (and Brazil).

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I want to watch it but I've got a feeling I'll just completely forget that it's on. Especially if it's weekdays and weird times.

Reactions: 2
The whole thing is baffling.

Beer tents being taken away at the last minute, paid for fans to fake an atmosphere, camera equipment being threatened to smashed up live on TV by officials, deaths of modern slaves, backwards high up officials deviating massively from the script. It goes on and on o_O

Why on earth did they want it there and to highlight the regime? And how is it still such a mess in these last few weeks with a decade to plan for it?

I'll look forward to the 10 part docu-series on it all.

A couple of big countries should have refused to take part and brought it all crashing down. It wouldn't be that difficult to host elsewhere.

Reactions: 19
The whole thing is just bizarre on every level. I wish my husband wasn't taking the children but c'est la vie. It'll be interesting to hear his opinion. We have been to Qatar before because it was a half way point from Asia -- Europe and while we mix in expat circles we just had to be narrow minded and look past the regime. Which makes us sound like crappy people, we never lived there but have friends that do/did and if the job says go you go. Quitting is a noble idea but in this day and age who can just quit on their 20+ year career?

Anyway, I digress. I'll be watching on Sunday, and then all the England games.

Reactions: 3
lmao I'm glad. None of the louts visiting had a problem with visiting Qatar..unless their precious lager is banned

Reactions: 7
As soon as it starts we are going to start seeing the arrests for public drinking, indecency and everything else. They've got people housed in sheds with the wags on a boat. They don't want anyone to actually see Qatar.

I wish some countries had had the balls to boycott it. I know it was never gonna happen, though.

Interesting that they left it so late to announce the ban on alcohol.

Reactions: 15
As soon as it starts we are going to start seeing the arrests for public drinking, indecency and everything else.
I wonder if they've got the capacity to deal with the huge numbers of people that will be breaking their laws?

Reactions: 5