Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Warpaint

VIP Member
Well it wouldn't be the World Cup if there wasn't crushing disappointment from the England team

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Cā€™mon Wales šŸ„³ Iā€™ve lived in the US so this oneā€™s a really special game for me. Bit sad since non of my family want to watch due to the situation in Qatar but it just felt wrong not to support the boys.
Would like to know if your family will watch when the World Cup is help in USA next? Given the human rights issues in America, the inhumane treatment of black people, the violence on Muslims, anti abortion rights, terrorists disguised as mental health lunatics going on crazy shooting sprees. The list goes on. The hypocrisy is unreal

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 10

colouredlines

VIP Member
This last round of matches has been amazing, so much tension from the simultaneous games.

...so of course FIFA are scrapping the 4-team group format for 2026. It's incredible how one organisation can fuck things up so much.

• Wow
Reactions: 9

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
I donā€™t know about anyone else but it doesnā€™t feel right the World Cup being on at this time of year when its dark outside, Christmas adverts are on TV and all the big shows like Strictly and IAC are on? It feels very off. Almost dystopian actually.

Yel

Chatty Member
The shit show that keeps on giving.

I agree with questioning artists there. They can't just shrug their shoulders and say they're only there for a good time.

After all it's only the hugely successful and wealthy ones who don't need the money who get the invites.

And now they have announced a 3 min delay on the televised games, to stop people seeing ā€˜alcohol and LGBT peopleā€™ on screen.

Assuming instead of protesting.

Not that Iā€™m a gambler but theyā€™ve fucked the betting market now.

Absolute farce.

• Wow
  • Angry

LaBlonde

VIP Member
Exactly. The media and pundits lack any awareness as to why the other home nations get so annoyed about them. They act like theyā€™re always the favourites or in with a chance when the reality is theyā€™ve not won anything since 1966. I think that the pressure put on the players by the media is a big part of the reason they always bottle it. Let them go without expectation and they could surprise you but until then get a grip.
i think itā€™s hard to explain to someone whoā€™s english tbh because they donā€™t fully get the isolation of it. the use of us and we. the assumption that you will and should support them (which isnā€™t returned. i remember the bbc using half time of wales v belgium to talk about england) because youā€™re british. the way the tv coverage always forgets theyā€™re addressing the uk as a whole.

whenever i try and explain it to english friends theyā€™re like ā€œbut we would support YOUā€ but they donā€™t understand how itā€™s different. so many people think british = english and it bugs me. but this isnā€™t the thread for my welsh insecurities šŸ¤£

• Heart

Yel

Chatty Member
I'm glad he's shredded it, or appeared to. Otherwise the ultimatum ment nothing. It's supposed to be symbolic. Wouldn't be suprised if he says at a later date it was a prop, but real money is what helps get it attention.

I know he's getting lots of hate for wasting money, but I'm sure he's got something planned to balance it out. And anyway it's one way to help with the huge amount of inflation šŸ˜†

iieee

VIP Member
As soon as it starts we are going to start seeing the arrests for public drinking, indecency and everything else. They've got people housed in sheds with the wags on a boat. They don't want anyone to actually see Qatar.

Wee Nora

VIP Member
England fans complaining about the ref have forgotten about the fact that they booed the players off the pitch after the USA match.
Not sure I understand the criticism of the ref, he awarded England 2 penalties, not his fault they didnā€™t score both. England played well but were beaten by the current world champions, itā€™s not too shabby šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø
Croatia to win šŸ™

Dogtanian

VIP Member
I just can't get excited for this, I'm not even sure I'll watch much of it.

I think it's the combination of the world cup being during Winter, being in Qatar, being in the middle of the league season, very little advertisement (apart from ITV advertising it's own programming, has anyone seen any adverts from corporate sponsors?), Xmas coming up and the corruption/death/slavery aspect.

Tatooine_legend1

VIP Member
That was a good game. England performed better than I expected to be honest. France were made to look quite average. Problem with football is it's all about fine margins. England have some good young players coming through the ranks and can only continue improving, so I'm optimistic for the next world cup and upcoming international competitions.

The world cup is hard to win. The almighty Brazil haven't won it for 20 (will be 24 by 2026) years, that just proves how difficult it is. Only a 8 countries have won it. Even small country like Uruguay have won it twice, which is impressive. Spain have won it once, the same as us. I think it does get overblown how few times we've won the world cup.

• Heart
Reactions: 8