Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Always make sure you have a chew toy and stay calm. Ours used to nip constantly but seems to less now - just constantly squeaks her bloody toys 😂

Can someone give a little advice, my aunt has a puppy, he is four months old and SO nippy, the problem is he is ready to nip if you even go to pet him or play nice. My aunt disiplines him by shouting and tapping his nose but I don’t think it’s working as he just seems to think as soon as you raise your hand you’re going to hurt him, I’ve tried explaining this but she doesn’t listen. He has been at my house so I can puppy sit, and when he bites me I put him down and ignore him, or give him a toy. Is that he right sort of thing to be doing? Although know it won’t be so effective if it’s not being repeated at his house :(
I'm currently going through similar with my 4 month old puppy! He doesn't nip all the time, it's generally when he has his what we call "mad moments" (usually after a walk or food and can last up to an hour though sometimes longer). In these moments he literally bites/nips ANYTHING. Clothes, my hands, my hair, sofa cushions. It feels absolutely impossible to control! I asked a few people on Instagram for some tips and soooo many people suggested to me a Kong toy to distract him and my god, it really works!! We cram it full of different things at different times, peanut butter (only the dog kind though, some human peanut butters can be toxic to dogs so be careful!), treats, frozen carrots, banana etc. Last night he was becoming a bit nippy, the usual "No, stop that", ignoring him etc didn't work so out came the Kong and he was licking away at it for 40 minutes when he'd usually be annoying me in that time :ROFLMAO: Once he was finished with it he jumped up on the sofa, cuddled up to me and went to sleep!

I think you're doing the right thing, distraction is key I've found. My Pup is hard to distract with toys sometimes, so the Kong has been a god send (you can also get licky mats which are great too!), but definitely keep trying with the ignoring and distracting! I always make a conscious effort to praise my pup when the biting stops too, as @Rxt156 said, praising the good behaviour is key!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Can someone give a little advice, my aunt has a puppy, he is four months old and SO nippy, the problem is he is ready to nip if you even go to pet him or play nice. My aunt disiplines him by shouting and tapping his nose but I don’t think it’s working as he just seems to think as soon as you raise your hand you’re going to hurt him, I’ve tried explaining this but she doesn’t listen. He has been at my house so I can puppy sit, and when he bites me I put him down and ignore him, or give him a toy. Is that he right sort of thing to be doing? Although know it won’t be so effective if it’s not being repeated at his house :(
I think tapping him on the nose is a bad idea, I was told by my breeder that it just encourages the bad behaviour and makes them nip more because if you think, if someone puts a hand in your face your instant reaction would be to slap it away so that's what the dog is doing but with their mouth. She really needs to set boundaries and put the puppy in time out, turn away from the bad behaviour or just make loud noises so it mimics him playing with brothers and sisters! When they yelp at each other it's indication that it hurts! When my dog was younger I screeched at him and he would stop in his tracks and look at me as if to say wtf? 😂

Reactions: 1
I'm currently going through similar with my 4 month old puppy! He doesn't nip all the time, it's generally when he has his what we call "mad moments" (usually after a walk or food and can last up to an hour though sometimes longer). In these moments he literally bites/nips ANYTHING. Clothes, my hands, my hair, sofa cushions. It feels absolutely impossible to control! I asked a few people on Instagram for some tips and soooo many people suggested to me a Kong toy to distract him and my god, it really works!! We cram it full of different things at different times, peanut butter (only the dog kind though, some human peanut butters can be toxic to dogs so be careful!), treats, frozen carrots, banana etc. Last night he was becoming a bit nippy, the usual "No, stop that", ignoring him etc didn't work so out came the Kong and he was licking away at it for 40 minutes when he'd usually be annoying me in that time :ROFLMAO: Once he was finished with it he jumped up on the sofa, cuddled up to me and went to sleep!

I think you're doing the right thing, distraction is key I've found. My Pup is hard to distract with toys sometimes, so the Kong has been a god send (you can also get licky mats which are great too!), but definitely keep trying with the ignoring and distracting! I always make a conscious effort to praise my pup when the biting stops too, as @Rxt156 said, praising the good behaviour is key!
getting a Kong toy ASAP! Thanks

• Heart
I’d also recommend the licki matts! They keep my pups occupied for an hour and a half 😂

• Haha
Next on the list! Thank you - we bought a shuffle rug but she finds all the treats in about 30 seconds!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Re: Crates, we've also kept our puppies bed in there but its now taking up quite a lot of space and the dog tends to sleep half in and half out (she's grown a lot!) do you all have beds in your crates or is it fine to just have blankets, which will give her more space and means she can relax in her bed outside the cage? I think we may need a bigger cage!

Re: Crates, we've also kept our puppies bed in there but its now taking up quite a lot of space and the dog tends to sleep half in and half out (she's grown a lot!) do you all have beds in your crates or is it fine to just have blankets, which will give her more space and means she can relax in her bed outside the cage? I think we may need a bigger cage!
We have a bed in our crate but I don’t think it matters either way. Some dogs can’t have a bed or blanket as they’ll chew/eat them and are crated for their safety, so imo either is fine.

One of the flat bed type mattresses you can get might work better in the crate and then maybe have the bed outside her crate aswell for chilling 😎

This is not good for dogs. It should be a specific dog shampoo
I've had dogs all my life, I googled some said no some said yes, it was a tiny amount diluted in alot water, he's had no reactions apart from the scratching has stopped, saved me a few quid on puppy shampoo which would have cost a fortune to use maybe twice?

@Snowjoke you said yours eventually got on, how long did it take, my other dog had another bad go at pup earlier, I try so hard so hard all day with them both, but it's soo upsetting.

Last edited:
I've had dogs all my life, I googled some said no some said yes, it was a tiny amount diluted in alot water, he's had no reactions apart from the scratching has stopped, saved me a few quid on puppy shampoo which would have cost a fortune to use maybe twice?

@Snowjoke you said yours eventually got on, how long did it take, my other dog had another bad go at pup earlier, I try so hard so hard all day with them both, but it's soo upsetting.
Being honest it took a good few months! I think because our other dog was so used to his own space and sleeping alllll day haha and not being tortured to play! The crate training with our younger pup really helped tho because it meant at night they both got a proper break from each other as she couldn’t get out of her crate 🙈😂 so I think that really helped!! We have only recently took our pups crate away (she literally loved it lol) Now they are like a wee duo 😂 I go down in the mornings and they are both in the one bed! they run about the garden together and our older dog actually plays like he’s a pup so I think it’s brought him out of his shell a bit and is less grumpy now lol I know it can be upsetting but please keep going it will be worth it!

Being honest it took a good few months! I think because our other dog was so used to his own space and sleeping alllll day haha and not being tortured to play! The crate training with our younger pup really helped tho because it meant at night they both got a proper break from each other as she couldn’t get out of her crate 🙈😂 so I think that really helped!! We have only recently took our pups crate away (she literally loved it lol) Now they are like a wee duo 😂 I go down in the mornings and they are both in the one bed! they run about the garden together and our older dog actually plays like he’s a pup so I think it’s brought him out of his shell a bit and is less grumpy now lol I know it can be upsetting but please keep going it will be worth it!
Was your other dog nasty to pup? My other older dog is active, and pup is picking up good stuff, he'll bring ball etc! But I've never known the older one to be aggressive but he's really quite nasty to pup, which is a problem, as pup being a Jack Russell , will one day think, I've had enough and will have ago back,as he's not afraid of anything! I'm quite upset over situation, it's hard enough having a pup, but with this issue too, I'll do anything to keep him, but I really never thought our dog would be like this.

Was your other dog nasty to pup? My other older dog is active, and pup is picking up good stuff, he'll bring ball etc! But I've never known the older one to be aggressive but he's really quite nasty to pup, which is a problem, as pup being a Jack Russell , will one day think, I've had enough and will have ago back,as he's not afraid of anything! I'm quite upset over situation, it's hard enough having a pup, but with this issue too, I'll do anything to keep him, but I really never thought our dog would be like this.
He did snap and growl at her the odd time but that was mostly around food lol he doesn’t do that anymore at all thankfully. How long have you had your pup?

He did snap and growl at her the odd time but that was mostly around food lol he doesn’t do that anymore at all thankfully. How long have you had your pup?
It's only been 5 weeks, but no progress at all from my other dog, pup is desperate, crawling around being submissive to him, not all the time, he also also wants him to play! I know it's only been a short time, but tbh, both me and oh have both said we're not sure if it'll work and both upset over this.

It's only been 5 weeks, but no progress at all from my other dog, pup is desperate, crawling around being submissive to him, not all the time, he also also wants him to play! I know it's only been a short time, but tbh, both me and oh have both said we're not sure if it'll work and both upset over this.
Ahh don’t beat yourselves up over it. All anyone can do it try!!! I really hope it works out 💓

Our puppy is crate trained and happily goes into his crate at night and sleeps all night til about 7am but wakes up howling and crying. It’s absolutely ear wrenching. He does the same howl and cry when we leave him and also the same when we take him for a walk and if for example myself or my partner goes to the loo whilst out or takes our toddler on the swings (dogs not allowed in play area) he will cry and howl and howl and howl. It’s awful and quite embarrassing 😬 how do we overcome this? The sound is depressing especially first thing in the morning, it makes me not want to come downstairs. Thank you
In the morning is pup ready for toilet/ breakfast ? My dog makes a fuss in the morning when they think it's time to be up , then they settle as soon as they've had it

Regarding the Kongs. Mental stimulation is so important. Too many owners fixate on physical activity to tire, but brain games are tiring too. Walks are a human invention.

Mix up stimulation. Games, play, nose work, training and walks.
Also licking action is anxiety reducing.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I bought a puppy mini labradoodle. All my family and friends said it would be a nightmare. I work full time and I’m single with 3 kids 😂 we have had him for two months now and honestly he is such a good puppy. I think maybe I’m just lucky and it’s his natural temperament but he was trained within weeks, has no accidents, sleeps all night in the kitchen, doesn’t trash my house and is just generally easy and a joy to have . After having kids the puppy is defo the easier one!! I nearly got a cockapoo then decided against it as they can be quite hyper

My little pup is a bit under the weather this morning :( He seems to have a bit of diarrhoea and just isn't his usual bouncy self. Gonna keep an eye on him and just not give him any treats or anything which might upset his stomach more. My bf suggested instead of giving him his biscuits we give him some plain white rice, which some google pages are saying, but others are saying to not give him anything so I'm a bit lost. My pet insurance comes with this 24 hour online vet service thing so I might give them a message :(

• Sad
My little pup is a bit under the weather this morning :( He seems to have a bit of diarrhoea and just isn't his usual bouncy self. Gonna keep an eye on him and just not give him any treats or anything which might upset his stomach more. My bf suggested instead of giving him his biscuits we give him some plain white rice, which some google pages are saying, but others are saying to not give him anything so I'm a bit lost. My pet insurance comes with this 24 hour online vet service thing so I might give them a message :(
Just give him normal food. We use to say bland food, buts there's little nutritional value in rice. Better off feeding normal food so he's getting his nutrients. We don't eat differently with a but if diarrhoea, or I certainly don't.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.