Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone know what to do about that dog smell? I can smell him on my clothes. He had been to the groomer and he does get washed once in a while, but he really smells like dog. Is it something i just need to accept or is there something i can do about it?

Does anyone know what to do about that dog smell? I can smell him on my clothes. He had been to the groomer and he does get washed once in a while, but he really smells like dog. Is it something i just need to accept or is there something i can do about it?
What breed is he? How often do you wash him?

Most dogs smell especially when they're wet! My collie has bladder issues, he can smell of immonia, so if that's a smell, take him to vets!

What breed is he? How often do you wash him?
He is a Shih Tzu. Not that often really, we have him for 2 months and Think he´s been washed 3 times by us, once at the groomer.

Most dogs smell especially when they're wet! My collie has bladder issues, he can smell of immonia, so if that's a smell, take him to vets!
No it´s not immonia, it´s that typical dog smell.

He is a Shih Tzu. Not that often really, we have him for 2 months and Think he´s been washed 3 times by us, once at the groomer.

No it´s not immonia, it´s that typical dog smell.
I think the only thing that would help would be to get into a regular routine of bathing him at home more often, you can get really nice smelling shampoos from pets at home for around £6 and matching sprays, they are like perfume/aftershave and handy inbetween washing to keep them smelling good hahaha I use the animology ones for my pups, the heaven scent one for my girl dog and the cloud k9 scent for our male pup! They smell so nice afterwards 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 1
We've just showered our pup, he's so itchy but can't see any fleas, I diluted abit of head and shoulders and washed him in that, he smells so much better!

Dogs do tend to have a smell unfortunately. Bathing them frequently isnt good for their skin.

You can get dog dry shampoo, cologne etc.

Shitzus dont shed if Im right so Id probably make sure youre on a regular grooming schedule both of mine have gone every 4-5 weeks for a wash and dry before 6 months then every 8 weeks from 6 months.

I try to only wash every 2 to 3 weeks if I can help it but will wash paws / lower legs after any mucky walks. I appreciate sometimes they do just need it.

Reactions: 2
Thanks everyone for your awesome advice (and more importantly support and reassurance). It's still a total rollercoaster, I think I've got somewhere and then boom, she shits all over the place or chases the cat. It is so exhausting and she is needy but I adore her. In other news, myself and the OH are on the brink of breaking up over her (after 9 years together). So everything is still very stressful!
Just wondering how you're getting on, felt so sorry for you after reading this?

We've just showered our pup, he's so itchy but can't see any fleas, I diluted abit of head and shoulders and washed him in that, he smells so much better!
This is not good for dogs. It should be a specific dog shampoo

I dunno who is the bigger problem at the moment; the puppy or my partner! After his dinner every day the puppy has a mad 30 minutes to an hour where he just goes super hyper and wants to bite everything, including our clothes etc. (we were actually a bit worried about the biting but the vet said it will just be a sugar rush from his excitement of dinner and walkies!) I have been making a really big effort to ignore him and let him know play is over when he starts biting me. Yesterday I went off for a bath and came back to find the puppy biting my partners hand and jumper, instead of repeating what I would do, he was kissing and cuddling him!!!! I said “that’s not teaching him anything! Hell think it’s ok to bite now” and my partner pulled his jumper from the puppies mouth then cuddled him and said “good boy” 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️

• Sad
Our puppy is crate trained and happily goes into his crate at night and sleeps all night til about 7am but wakes up howling and crying. It’s absolutely ear wrenching. He does the same howl and cry when we leave him and also the same when we take him for a walk and if for example myself or my partner goes to the loo whilst out or takes our toddler on the swings (dogs not allowed in play area) he will cry and howl and howl and howl. It’s awful and quite embarrassing 😬 how do we overcome this? The sound is depressing especially first thing in the morning, it makes me not want to come downstairs. Thank you

I dunno who is the bigger problem at the moment; the puppy or my partner! After his dinner every day the puppy has a mad 30 minutes to an hour where he just goes super hyper and wants to bite everything, including our clothes etc. (we were actually a bit worried about the biting but the vet said it will just be a sugar rush from his excitement of dinner and walkies!) I have been making a really big effort to ignore him and let him know play is over when he starts biting me. Yesterday I went off for a bath and came back to find the puppy biting my partners hand and jumper, instead of repeating what I would do, he was kissing and cuddling him!!!! I said “that’s not teaching him anything! Hell think it’s ok to bite now” and my partner pulled his jumper from the puppies mouth then cuddled him and said “good boy” 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️
Tell me about it, our puppy is ten months old and never bites me anymore. However whenever my partner sits down to relax he nips at him cos he wants him to play, a trainer told him it’s because as soon as he comes home from work he acts all excited to see the dog and goes and plays with him in the garden straight away, which is lovely but now the dog just associates him with playtime and won’t let him chill! Whenever I try and tell my boyfriend to do anything differently he just gets annoyed!

Our puppy is crate trained and happily goes into his crate at night and sleeps all night til about 7am but wakes up howling and crying. It’s absolutely ear wrenching. He does the same howl and cry when we leave him and also the same when we take him for a walk and if for example myself or my partner goes to the loo whilst out or takes our toddler on the swings (dogs not allowed in play area) he will cry and howl and howl and howl. It’s awful and quite embarrassing 😬 how do we overcome this? The sound is depressing especially first thing in the morning, it makes me not want to come downstairs. Thank you
How old is your pup? The morning is prob boredom and wanting out to see you! Have you ever tried leaving the radio on at night through to the morning? Hot water bottle for comfort at night and Toys in the crate at night to keep them occupied aswell, I would recommend the kong ones - keep them busy for ages!! With regards to being out and about and the crying it’s just going to take time to break that habit, both need to be firm with her/him and if continues back to the car or back home no treats. It’s hard to be firm but they don’t be long learning when they arent getting rewarded lol

Tell me about it, our puppy is ten months old and never bites me anymore. However whenever my partner sits down to relax he nips at him cos he wants him to play, a trainer told him it’s because as soon as he comes home from work he acts all excited to see the dog and goes and plays with him in the garden straight away, which is lovely but now the dog just associates him with playtime and won’t let him chill! Whenever I try and tell my boyfriend to do anything differently he just gets annoyed!
Could you go into the garden and play with the puppy when you know he is about to get home? Maybe break his routine of doing it without him realising that’s what you are doing

Tips for everyone: Praise the behaviour that you want

Eg if dog is barking then they stop barking you must praise them as they will associate the quiet with being rewarded. Even if you are fuming that they’ve been barking for 15 mins, you have to praise them when they stop. This works for most things! If they’re biting your hands, replace your hand with something that they can bite then praise them for using that

Reactions: 4
lose the partner, keep the pup :sneaky::sneaky:😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
lose the partner, keep the pup :sneaky::sneaky:😂
At times it seems like that could be the simpler option!! :)

On a more positive note - we've managed 3 nights in a row now with the puppy sleeping downstairs! After nearly 6 weeks of him in my room this feels amazing! As it was starting to get frustrating, now he's learned to jump he kept jumping into the bed whilst I was asleep which I didn't want! Last night he didn't start crying at the gate until 3am, previously it was every hour so that's fab, I went down, let him out where he did a wee and poo outside, he had a drink, I settled him in his bed again and he was fine until I went down at 5.30 for a bath! :) Finally feels like a breakthrough.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
At times it seems like that could be the simpler option!! :)

On a more positive note - we've managed 3 nights in a row now with the puppy sleeping downstairs! After nearly 6 weeks of him in my room this feels amazing! As it was starting to get frustrating, now he's learned to jump he kept jumping into the bed whilst I was asleep which I didn't want! Last night he didn't start crying at the gate until 3am, previously it was every hour so that's fab, I went down, let him out where he did a wee and poo outside, he had a drink, I settled him in his bed again and he was fine until I went down at 5.30 for a bath! :) Finally feels like a breakthrough.
This is amazing. Its so frustrating at the time but you are doing so well.

• Heart
Amazing news @WilmaHun we’ve managed to keep ours downstairs (and the cat upstairs) but the jumping on the bed in the night sounds like a thing of nightmares. We trying to stop ours from jumping on the sofa (she’s obsessed) and only letting her on on our terms - take some control back 😂 honestly the longest 2.5 months of my life.

• Heart
Can someone give a little advice, my aunt has a puppy, he is four months old and SO nippy, the problem is he is ready to nip if you even go to pet him or play nice. My aunt disiplines him by shouting and tapping his nose but I don’t think it’s working as he just seems to think as soon as you raise your hand you’re going to hurt him, I’ve tried explaining this but she doesn’t listen. He has been at my house so I can puppy sit, and when he bites me I put him down and ignore him, or give him a toy. Is that he right sort of thing to be doing? Although know it won’t be so effective if it’s not being repeated at his house :(

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.