Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We brought our 8 week cockapoo home yesterday and am struggling already with his constant howling. He seems to have developed an attachment to me already (maybe because he sat on my lap for the 5hr car journey home) and howls every time I am more than 1 step away from him. As soon as I go over to him - even if just going close but not touching he calms down instantly but howls as soon as I step away again. I keep thinking he’ll tire but he doesn’t and just keeps going and going. I’m trying to crate train so ended up sleeping on the floor with my face super close to the door so he could see me/hear my breathing as it seemed to be the only thing to stop him howling all night. I was hoping he would be better today but keeps howling constantly when I put him in his playpen. We live in an apartment so am waiting on my neighbours banging on the door!

Do I need to just keep riding it out and hoping he’ll get used to me stepping away from him eventually? I’m trying not to give in to him too much and comfort/pick him up/cuddle him but it’s so hard 😢
I really feel for you, we’ve had our cockapoo for 3 months now (she’s 5 months old) and I can assure you it gets much better, it is still a case of good days/bad days but it is so worth it. This thread was so brilliant during those early days, so if you need a place to vent!

our pup was incredibly needy (couldn’t leave the room unless one of us there etc) but she’s slowly growing out of that and starting to be a bit more independent.

but yeah, I feel your frustration and worry but remember it does get better

Also it is difficult, its hard and there will be *so* many times you want to take him back. I have been there x 2. It is normal, the puppy blues I call it. Youre doing a great job 👍
yes definitely - we called it pawsnatal depression, it is so exhausting and life changing and I don’t think anyone really knows (or talks about) how difficult it is having a puppy so you should feel absolutely not shame or embarrassment there. Again, this is why I found this thread so helpful, a total safe place to rant and be open.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Absolutely getting a puppy is such hard work and life changing, even if you have had dogs before it can be a shock when it is so full on. This is what worries me about my brother in law getting one in a few weeks time. They seem to have not considered things properly at all, one of the first questions they asked us was how long we put ours in the crate every day and they seem to think they will crack training immediately. I just worry they will ditch the puppy when it is harder work than they anticipated. You really have to work your life around them rather than slot them into yours at first, in my opinion.

Reactions: 1
Absolutely getting a puppy is such hard work and life changing, even if you have had dogs before it can be a shock when it is so full on. This is what worries me about my brother in law getting one in a few weeks time. They seem to have not considered things properly at all, one of the first questions they asked us was how long we put ours in the crate every day and they seem to think they will crack training immediately. I just worry they will ditch the puppy when it is harder work than they anticipated. You really have to work your life around them rather than slot them into yours at first, in my opinion.
Absolutely this. If you can't do that, don't get a puppy is my advice. Not to say you can't have a dog but a puppy needs so much and it's not to say people dont give it out of choice but they find themselves really struggling to manage with everything else and puppies are left in crates for hours.

If your puppy is sleeping in a crate say 7-8 hours at night, they can't then spend another 6 hours crated in the day. Its cruel.

When I got my older boy I was a first time dog owner and I swear I cried every day for months. Every day Id be telling myself he was going back 🙈 I found it suffocating and overwhelming. I had absolutely no idea how all consuming it would be.

He's the best boy ever now but the first 12 months were challenging. Every time I thought things had settled old habits would reappear.

We’ve now had our pup 2 months and it’s only now I’ve stopped feeling like it’s a massive struggle. The toilet training is sorted other than the odd accident when we’re at work, but he does always go by the back door which shows an attempt to go outside at least. He’s FINALLY sleeping downstairs in his bed without barking and crying for ages. He doesn’t even moan when we go upstairs anymore, he just takes himself to his bed and knows that’s that. He woke me at 5am crying this morning so I let him out and bought him upstairs for cuddles and he slept until 8. 😍
The hardest part for me was the biting, and the crazy hour in the evenings! But he’s really calming down now and isn’t nearly as bad as he was. I really do feel like we’re finally coming out the other side and actually able to enjoy having him now. It was hard work at the start and I cried soooo many times because I just didn’t know what to do. But persevere and it will be worth it.💛

Going to be getting a cocker spaniel in June! So excited! I've been working with dogs since I was 16, I now own my own dog walking business! but have had dogs (mainly boxers) since 1998! Our last boxer passed away last year (along with my dad not long after💔) and it's been such an empty house with out them both.

But so excited about getting a puppy! It's just been 10 years since we last had a puppy so you for get everything and remember the nice moments! 🤣 We felt we couldn't have boxers any more as they were really my dad's dogs and we just helped haha! I didnt want anything smaller then a cocker spaniel (or anything poddle cross!) So got in touch with someone and we'll be picking her up next month!!! I'm also commenting on the thread so I don't loose it in case I need to vent🤣

But we are hoping that we can do more activities with our spaniel, go on longer walks and sniffer training or agility (it's not a working cocker and comes from a show breeder) with the boxers we've had they've been a bit stubborn and wouldn't get off sofas for walks sometimes. 🤣

Nice to meet you all and hopefully you guys are getting on with your new or old furbabies!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Going to be getting a cocker spaniel in June! So excited! I've been working with dogs since I was 16, I now own my own dog walking business! but have had dogs (mainly boxers) since 1998! Our last boxer passed away last year (along with my dad not long after💔) and it's been such an empty house with out them both.

But so excited about getting a puppy! It's just been 10 years since we last had a puppy so you for get everything and remember the nice moments! 🤣 We felt we couldn't have boxers any more as they were really my dad's dogs and we just helped haha! I didnt want anything smaller then a cocker spaniel (or anything poddle cross!) So got in touch with someone and we'll be picking her up next month!!! I'm also commenting on the thread so I don't loose it in case I need to vent🤣

But we are hoping that we can do more activities with our spaniel, go on longer walks and sniffer training or agility (it's not a working cocker and comes from a show breeder) with the boxers we've had they've been a bit stubborn and wouldn't get off sofas for walks sometimes. 🤣

Nice to meet you all and hopefully you guys are getting on with your new or old furbabies!
Aw I’m excited for you! My pup is a little cocker and he’s the best thing ever! Sooooo much energy but so loving with a wonderful temperament. Can’t wait to hear how you get on!

E2093BA3-1DCC-403D-A963-D138F9D0CF65.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Aw I’m excited for you! My pup is a little cocker and he’s the best thing ever! Sooooo much energy but so loving with a wonderful temperament. Can’t wait to hear how you get on!

Oh my goodness!!! he's so cute!! Ours will be a little blue roan girl! We've also never had a girl before as both our boxers have been boys! Different learning curve completely!

• Heart
Cockers are the most adorable dogs. Id have one in a heartbeat if it wasnt for the hair 🙈

Hence why I have 2 cocker crosses who dont shed but cockers are just gorgeous. Our neighbours had an apricot and white old fella who I adored. He's no longer with us but he had the nicest nature.

• Heart
Cockers are the most adorable dogs. Id have one in a heartbeat if it wasnt for the hair 🙈

Hence why I have 2 cocker crosses who dont shed but cockers are just gorgeous. Our neighbours had an apricot and white old fella who I adored. He's no longer with us but he had the nicest nature.
We're quite used to the hair. Our old boxer was red and short hair and would get everywhere. I know these will be more whispy and the grooming will be a new thing to! But will give us something to focus on and love. ♥

We're quite used to the hair. Our old boxer was red and short hair and would get everywhere. I know these will be more whispy and the grooming will be a new thing to! But will give us something to focus on and love. ♥
Be no bother if youre used to it. My hair falls out enough for 4 dogs 🙈

My two get a groom every 6-8 weeks but Id imagine cockers wouldnt need as regular grooming.

Groomers in our area are really busy, so if there is one you fancy Id get your pup booked in for an introductory meet now to get her used to it. They usually take them at the same time as theyre able to be walked after last injections. I know you havent got her yet but good to be prepared and talk to a few to get their vibe. It took us ages to find the one.

• Heart
Be no bother if youre used to it. My hair falls out enough for 4 dogs 🙈

My two get a groom every 6-8 weeks but Id imagine cockers wouldnt need as regular grooming.

Groomers in our area are really busy, so if there is one you fancy Id get your pup booked in for an introductory meet now to get her used to it. They usually take them at the same time as theyre able to be walked after last injections. I know you havent got her yet but good to be prepared and talk to a few to get their vibe. It took us ages to find the one.
Will definitely be looking around for a groomer for sure! Might post on the recommendion page for our area! We will be brushing her not daily but just so she doesn't get matted. But will be nice for her to get a proper trim and get used to grooming equipment and especially if we get hot days! It was hell trying to keep our boxers cool and they had short hair! 🙈thanks for the tips! And any more let me know lol! Ten years is a long time to for get all the puppy and teenager phase!! Lol!! And in those ten years there's(well 20when we had our first) there are so many new toys and chews and things to get! It's all a bit overwhelming!

Will definitely be looking around for a groomer for sure! Might post on the recommendion page for our area! We will be brushing her not daily but just so she doesn't get matted. But will be nice for her to get a proper trim and get used to grooming equipment and especially if we get hot days! It was hell trying to keep our boxers cool and they had short hair! 🙈thanks for the tips! And any more let me know lol! Ten years is a long time to for get all the puppy and teenager phase!! Lol!! And in those ten years there's(well 20when we had our first) there are so many new toys and chews and things to get! It's all a bit overwhelming!
Yes its great to get them accustomed to the equipment, the groomers themselves, the smells etc. I find they accept anything as puppies too. Even in the house if you dry your own hair, do it with pup near.

Now this might sound bonkers but youtube videos with firework sounds when she's still young. It will help immensely come Oct/Nov. Wish they'd bloody ban them but unlikely 🙄

Yes its great to get them accustomed to the equipment, the groomers themselves, the smells etc. I find they accept anything as puppies too. Even in the house if you dry your own hair, do it with pup near.

Now this might sound bonkers but youtube videos with firework sounds when she's still young. It will help immensely come Oct/Nov. Wish they'd bloody ban them but unlikely 🙄
Will give the fireworks idea ago for sure! Our last boxer had one exploded above him a few years back just before it got dark while on a walk.😢 and he hated them ever since and kept wondering and couldn't settle. 😭😤 Definitely agree about the bam or even use noiseless ones!

@Caffeine Fiend @S4buk thank you both for your responses! I gave up (for now anyways) on keeping him strictly in the playpen and it's going so much better. It's a bit awkward to get anything done as he follows me absolutely everywhere and takes naps on my feet when I sit down but he seems much happier and isn't howling/barking anymore apart from the occasional playful bark when he gets over excited playing. He also remains calmer and just wimpers a bit when I do leave the room briefly now.

Last night was only night 2 in the crate and there was also a huge improvement in that. We left the crate door open all day and he went in completely by himself about 10pm without any prompt and even took his favourite toy in with him 🥺 We gave him a little bit of time to settle down then closed the door and he was absolutely fine. He woke up wimpering a few times during then night but settled quite quickly just on hearing our voices and realizing we were still there.

I know we're still got a long way to go as we're just a few days in but feel so much better now he doesn't seem as upset.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
My little cocker was being soooo naughty when i got home from work yesterday! Biting the sofa cushions, biting my hands, and my feet as I tried to walk. Barking at everything, digging in the garden, chewing his bed. The list goes on, if there was something he shouldn't have been doing - he was definitely doing it!! Anyway, we sat down at about 8pm and he was chewing on my dressing gown and suddenly a tooth fell out into my lap and his mouth was bleeding. I gave him a frozen chew toy and a couple frozen carrots and the bad behaviour completely stopped so I wonder if he was playing up because his teeth were hurting him!

My little cocker was being soooo naughty when i got home from work yesterday! Biting the sofa cushions, biting my hands, and my feet as I tried to walk. Barking at everything, digging in the garden, chewing his bed. The list goes on, if there was something he shouldn't have been doing - he was definitely doing it!! Anyway, we sat down at about 8pm and he was chewing on my dressing gown and suddenly a tooth fell out into my lap and his mouth was bleeding. I gave him a frozen chew toy and a couple frozen carrots and the bad behaviour completely stopped so I wonder if he was playing up because his teeth were hurting him!
Life gets so much easier when those little needle fucker teeth fall out! My partner accidentally tugged our Daisy's tooth out when they were playing 🤦‍♀️

• Heart
Can anyone advise on the lepto 4 vaccine? Due to take our mini schauzner to the vet's next week for her final jabs but our breeder made us promise we'd say no to the lepto 4 as apparently it can kill them?! She did tell me to "do my research on Facebook" though so she could just be an antivax (she had a live laugh love sign and some crushed grey velvet furniture in her living room).

Obviously I will be asking the vets but I'm going to assume they'll tell us to get it. What I found said it only protects from things caught in tropical countries so I'm not sure.

Thank you!!

Which vaccine did you pup have first? Your vet should continue on that? If not then youd need to do the full course if its a new one. So if your breeder hasnt used Lepto 4 then its unlikely your pup will have that.

Personally I havent heard great things about Lepto 4 but neither of my breeders have used it so hasnt been an issue here.

Which vaccine did you pup have first? Your vet should continue on that? If not then youd need to do the full course if its a new one. So if your breeder hasnt used Lepto 4 then its unlikely your pup will have that.

Personally I havent heard great things about Lepto 4 but neither of my breeders have used it so hasnt been an issue here.
Ooh that's good to know thank you. She's going to a different vet than the one the breeders used.

I thought lepto 4 was a continuation of the 2 but I could be wrong.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.