Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Brought my new puppy home at the weekend. My god I forgot how tiring it is. She is a little cutie though. My other dog is struggling a bit. She has snapped a few times and ignored her most of the time but They did play last night for a tiny amount of time and did sit with me on the sofa so I am hoping this can be the start.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Ooh that's good to know thank you. She's going to a different vet than the one the breeders used.

I thought lepto 4 was a continuation of the 2 but I could be wrong.
I think my mini schnauzer had lepto 4. He was given a different one by the breeders vet but my vets said they only did the lepto 4 so he had to have the full course of it. He’s been fine!

His vets is the one at pets at home so you would think lepto 4 can’t be too worrying if they use it

• Heart
Reactions: 1
We’ve had our puppy for 10 days now and am having my first proper what have we done moment 😞

Things have generally been going well and we’ve bonded well (almost too well as he hates when I leave him for even a minute to go to the bathroom 😂) but he’s acting up so bad today. His nightly crazy witching hour has been going on for well over 2 hours now and I just can’t calm him down or control him. He‘s running about like crazy and keeps jumping at me and biting me constantly. I keep trying a time out in his crate which does calm him but within 2 mins of being out he’s back at it.

He had diarrhea yesterday so we skipped his meal last night (on the vets advice) but fed him today. I didn’t take him out today (for fear he would have an accident on me as he’s not fully vaccinated so can’t go for proper walks yet, I’ve mostly been carrying him in a sling to help socialize him). So not sure if he’s punishing me for starving him or maybe he’s just got cabin fever and built up energy from being cooped up inside all day.

Anyways I know from reading this thread puppies are hard work and I’ll have good days and bad days so not really looking for advice as such but wanted to have a little rant as I sit here crying quietly while the puppy’s on a time out and I’m waiting for my husband to get home to help 😢

• Heart
Reactions: 4
We’ve had our puppy for 10 days now and am having my first proper what have we done moment 😞

Things have generally been going well and we’ve bonded well (almost too well as he hates when I leave him for even a minute to go to the bathroom 😂) but he’s acting up so bad today. His nightly crazy witching hour has been going on for well over 2 hours now and I just can’t calm him down or control him. He‘s running about like crazy and keeps jumping at me and biting me constantly. I keep trying a time out in his crate which does calm him but within 2 mins of being out he’s back at it.

He had diarrhea yesterday so we skipped his meal last night (on the vets advice) but fed him today. I didn’t take him out today (for fear he would have an accident on me as he’s not fully vaccinated so can’t go for proper walks yet, I’ve mostly been carrying him in a sling to help socialize him). So not sure if he’s punishing me for starving him or maybe he’s just got cabin fever and built up energy from being cooped up inside all day.

Anyways I know from reading this thread puppies are hard work and I’ll have good days and bad days so not really looking for advice as such but wanted to have a little rant as I sit here crying quietly while the puppy’s on a time out and I’m waiting for my husband to get home to help 😢
I dont want to make it worse but there will be many days like this.

However we've all been through it and have survived.

When theyre being like that it's soul destroying. It does get better I promise, just hang in there. Xx

• Heart
Reactions: 2

I feel like two months ago I could have written this post myself (and looking back on the thread I did write similar!) I promise you, it does get easier! My pup was exactly the same, extremely attached to me, crazy hours at night which felt uncontrollable, and the biting! Omg the biting! I read awful! There were many times I sat and cried and thought “what have I done”. We’re coming out the other side of it now, he’s lost a fair few teeth and we’ve seen him calm more and more over the last week or two. He still plays up of an evening occasionally but it’s nowhere near as bad and doesn’t last as long! Once you can get them out walking that helps burn off the extra energy too! I promise though you’re not alone, we’ve all been there and these feelings are totally normal! It will get easier

• Heart

Honestly I felt the same yesterday. My husband was home although working, I have a chest infection and was manically trying to prepare for an online job interview while she was biting, crying and weeing absolutely everywhere (never wees outside, only in the house!). Husband was getting annoyed at me because I was getting stressed and it was all horrible.

After the interview, I pretended it went on a bit longer than it did and just sat in the spare room with the lights off for 15 minutes. I came back downstairs to relieve H of puppy duties and seeing her cute little face made me realise it isn't her fault, she's only a baby and doesn't know any better. She gets her final jabs next week so we're taking her to puppy training. Just got to take it one day at a time, you're smashing it queen ❤

• Heart
I feel like two months ago I could have written this post myself (and looking back on the thread I did write similar!) I promise you, it does get easier! My pup was exactly the same, extremely attached to me, crazy hours at night which felt uncontrollable, and the biting! Omg the biting! I read awful! There were many times I sat and cried and thought “what have I done”. We’re coming out the other side of it now, he’s lost a fair few teeth and we’ve seen him calm more and more over the last week or two. He still plays up of an evening occasionally but it’s nowhere near as bad and doesn’t last as long! Once you can get them out walking that helps burn off the extra energy too! I promise though you’re not alone, we’ve all been there and these feelings are totally normal! It will get easier
Couldn't have put better myself, it's crazy looking at my first post in this thread and how far we've (all) come since. Although she is by no means an angel, things really do get better and there really isn't a lot I complain about apart from the fact she jumps all over the place. I can't tell you how many times I thought about giving her up, so don't feel guilty about that it's the stress and tiredness... give it a few weeks.

• Heart
My puppy has improved ALOT but I did come home yesterday to find the little tinker had chewed my skirting boards!! We've been quite lucky in that up untl now the only things he has chewed has been inexpensive and replaceable things such as doormats, cardboard boxes, blankets etc. When I came in yesterday from work he wasn't pouncing up and down like he normally would, and he was sitting right in front of where he'd chewed, almost like he was trying to hide it! I told him off and then ignored him for a little while, and he kept coming behind me and putting his paw on me and wimpering a bit so he definitely knew he had been naughty, it was almost like he was saying sorry!!

• Heart
It is so much like having a baby isn’t it. She’s so worth it though. I’m only 5 days in and my last pup was completely toilet trained by now. We’ve only had a couple of accidents but that’s because I’m taking her out, she’s not letting me know yet. For all they’re the same breed, they’re completely different. I’ve taught her to sit though and here is her posing

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Thank you all for your kind words. It's reassuring to hear I'm not alone and this is normal/everyone goes through it. Even though there will be tough days like yesterday I know it will be worth it and I'm so in love with our little pup already - even when he is driving me crazy!

Today already feels better/more positive. I took him out a walk in the sling this morning which he seems to love and I think it helps his mental stimulation so tires him out even though he's not walking/running. I bought a kong a couple of days ago but hadn't given it to him yet because I was watching his treats because he had an upset stomach - but I gave it to him earlier today and he was loving it!

• Heart
Kongs are genius but found our pup was cleaning it out in a matter of minutes. We now fill it with dogs peanut butter and freeze it - lasts much longer and I think helps with the teething

• Heart
Kongs are genius but found our pup was cleaning it out in a matter of minutes. We now fill it with dogs peanut butter and freeze it - lasts much longer and I think helps with the teething
Great tip, I'll try that thank you!

Can anyone advise on the lepto 4 vaccine? Due to take our mini schauzner to the vet's next week for her final jabs but our breeder made us promise we'd say no to the lepto 4 as apparently it can kill them?! She did tell me to "do my research on Facebook" though so she could just be an antivax (she had a live laugh love sign and some crushed grey velvet furniture in her living room).

Obviously I will be asking the vets but I'm going to assume they'll tell us to get it. What I found said it only protects from things caught in tropical countries so I'm not sure.

Thank you!!
Maybe too late, but lepto 4 is perfectly safe. I am a veterinary nurse, and my practice vaccinates 100s of dogs every week and I cannot recall any side effects of the vaccine.
I can recall dogs dying of lepto.

Maybe too late, but lepto 4 is perfectly safe. I am a veterinary nurse, and my practice vaccinates 100s of dogs every week and I cannot recall any side effects of the vaccine.
I can recall dogs dying of lepto.
Oooh thank you! That's good to know ❤

We did that - it’s brilliant and they love it. As long as you use sugar free peanut butter.

I do this too! Like yours, mine was like a gannet once he got the technique and he'd empty it sooo fast. We found freezing it helped loads! We also cut some carrots up into tiny cubes and pop them in there with the peanut butter to freeze too.

A few people have said to me about using squirty cheese or banana puree in a kong but I am a bit unsure? Has anyone else used that? other than doggy peanut butter has anyone else got any suggestions for what to put in it for him so he doesn't get bored of the same thing?

We did that - it’s brilliant and they love it. As long as you use sugar free peanut butter.
We were told by our vet to use only dog specific peanut butter as some human peanut butters have a toxic ingredient in them. I can't remember what the ingredient was called though!

We were told by our vet to use only dog specific peanut butter as some human peanut butters have a toxic ingredient in them. I can't remember what the ingredient was called though!
It’s the palm oil that’s in the likes of sunpat (but who wants that anyway 🤢). I just buy a supermarket own peanut butter as they’re usually 100% peanuts

• Heart
Some peanut butter have xylitol in them which is extremely toxic to dogs.

If you use a peanut butter that is 100% nuts its absolutely fine. I tend to use Meridian as its what we have in the house anyway but Aldi and Morrisons do their own brands which are 100% nuts.

Palm oil isnt toxic to dogs, its just not good for the environment.

Peanut butters labelled for dogs are not any better for them than 100% nut PNB and often have palm oil in them.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.