Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

AladdinSane

VIP Member
Thanks everyone. The more I think about it, the more frustrated I am that he was put in that position. If he'd have bitten the kid, I dread to think what could have happened, especially as there's other dogs at the daycare with him. They mentioned it's not a good fit for him now due to his consistent issue with food. Yet it has never been mentioned before.

I'm actually kicking myself for not asking more questions when she brought him out to me. Just about where they were, where my dog was and how he got to the kid. Were there gates up or areas for the kid to eat without any dogs around?

Just makes me sad that him and the toddler have been set up to fail. I'll certainly be working on him not going after food and being in his bed every time we eat now though.

• Heart
Reactions: 3

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
We brought our 8 week cockapoo home yesterday and am struggling already with his constant howling. He seems to have developed an attachment to me already (maybe because he sat on my lap for the 5hr car journey home) and howls every time I am more than 1 step away from him. As soon as I go over to him - even if just going close but not touching he calms down instantly but howls as soon as I step away again. I keep thinking he’ll tire but he doesn’t and just keeps going and going. I’m trying to crate train so ended up sleeping on the floor with my face super close to the door so he could see me/hear my breathing as it seemed to be the only thing to stop him howling all night. I was hoping he would be better today but keeps howling constantly when I put him in his playpen. We live in an apartment so am waiting on my neighbours banging on the door!

Do I need to just keep riding it out and hoping he’ll get used to me stepping away from him eventually? I’m trying not to give in to him too much and comfort/pick him up/cuddle him but it’s so hard 😢
Cockapoos are velcro dogs, I have two and they are not a dog for those who don't want constant attachment.

For now, Id cuddle him, keep him close and give him lots of reassurance. He's just left his mum and siblings and is probably just a bit upset and confused right now. I know it seems counter productive but fostering that confidence now will pay off later on.

We have slept downstairs with both of ours when they came home, next to the crate and popped our hands through to settle them and it wasnt long until they were both sleeping through the night downstairs alone. There is 4 years between them so we've done it twice now.

Personally Id never leave my dogs to cry, I think it does more harm than good in the long run. I never left my kids to cry either.

A great resource if you have Facebook is a group called 'Cockapoo Owners Club' I have found it invaluable in the 5 years Ive been a cockapoo owner.

Also it is difficult, its hard and there will be *so* many times you want to take him back. I have been there x 2. It is normal, the puppy blues I call it. Youre doing a great job 👍

• Heart

Saddlesoap

VIP Member
What is everyone’s opinion on raw feeding? Our puppy is 6 months old now and we started with raw feeding as thats what the breeder fed him from weaning and we didn’t want to change too much in the early days. But now he’s 6 months and we’re starting to introduce adult dog food we’re considering if it’s worth the expense of continuing raw feeding or is dry food just as good?
It's not for me, but the advice I give my clients; Not all raw is good, like not all kibble is good. Never do home prepared raw as getting the nutritional balance is so very very difficult.
Check out PFMA website as only some companies who produce raw are approved by them and DEFRA.

S4buk

VIP Member
We use ‘bed’ for our pup in the evenings and she’s always so good, straight into her crate with the ‘bed’ command and absolutely no barking. Last night she went in her own when I was locking up (no command) and slept until 7am and then went out to do her business and went straight back in (again without command) so we could have another hour in bed - I literally felt like crying! Anyone struggling, it’s gets so much better and thanks to you wonderful tattlers for all your support and advice.

• Heart

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
Just did a what dog would suite you quiz. I put I want a dog under 15Ibs and the breed it suggested for me was a Scottish deerhound 😅

• Haha

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Some vets are very anti raw and I've heard my colleagues say negative things which I don't get. People are going to feed raw regardless, so we should just be giving them information to do it right.
Thats so true isnt it. Better to give people the information to do it better even if its not something youd personally do. 😁

jayne2240

VIP Member
Not sure how old yours is but definitely recommend training ASAP! Not for the tricks so much but just the concentration and focus on you. My Cockapoo was an absolute bloody nightmare, frankly none of us could stand her for weeks but she was a new dog post-training! She found a new respect for us as her owners I think, it taught her who was the boss and what she needed to do to get praise. She still has her moments (now 15 months) but it does get better I promise. Hang in there it’s worth it I promise x

• Heart

Geranium

VIP Member
Hi I just found this thread and your original post. 6 months on how’s it going?
I’ve got a toddler and am considering a puppy but have been scared off by many re how hard it is 😂😂
I would seriously wait until your child is quite a bit older. Pups are usually very hard work plus they go through a very mouthy phase while they are teething and can really hurt. I honestly thought I’d got a psycho pup mine was so bitey. Now he’s angelic!

Reactions: 2

Snowjoke

VIP Member
Hi everyone, our 7 month old lab puppy is house trained but tonight when we were eating she jumped on the sofa and did a wee! She never did this even when she was house training. The internet suggests it could be medical rather than behavioural, she hasn't had her first season yet either. Is it one to just monitor in case it was a one off then go to the vet if it happens again? She hasn't shown any signs of a urine infection etc.
It could possibly be a sudden burst of excitement 🙈 some dogs do this even when they are house trained

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Dogs do tend to have a smell unfortunately. Bathing them frequently isnt good for their skin.

You can get dog dry shampoo, cologne etc.

Shitzus dont shed if Im right so Id probably make sure youre on a regular grooming schedule both of mine have gone every 4-5 weeks for a wash and dry before 6 months then every 8 weeks from 6 months.

I try to only wash every 2 to 3 weeks if I can help it but will wash paws / lower legs after any mucky walks. I appreciate sometimes they do just need it.

Bleurghgram

VIP Member
Those of you who leave your pups while you are at work, what do you leave behind to keep them entertained in your absence? Do you have any amazing puzzle toys you’d recommend?

I’m going to go ahead with adopting an older rescue dog. They assure me she’ll be happy left at home on the days I go into the office, with a dog walker visiting half way through the day to break her day up but I want to get her some enrichment too 🥰

Bleurghgram

VIP Member
Not a pup but I’ve brought my rescue girl home. I’ve slept the last two nights on the kitchen floor and hurt my neck 💔 I really want to persevere because I think she’ll crack it quite quickly from being in kennels but I am not having fun haha.

• Heart

Saddlesoap

VIP Member
How long after a dogs first season should they be spayed?
Speak to your vets. There is no blanket straight answer*, it should depend on their breed and behaviour. There are many reasons to neuter, but equally many not to.

As a loose rule my practice (I'm a vet nurse) says after 1yo for many dogs and +3 months post season for a bitch, but we also have a handout that explains there's a lot to consider.
Personally my bitch is still entire and is 2yo. She is reactive and neutering her is not in her best interests.

*ETA and I think any vets who are saying neuter at X age regardless of breed need to update their guidelines. It's a bit of an old-fashioned view!

• Heart

Rxt156

VIP Member
We have had a our gorgeous 16 week old Cockapoo for just over a month now and it's been a total rollercoaster - sorry, I need to vent and would love any advice from any of you.

To be fair, she is an angel however we do have the occasional accident and she's extremely needy. My partner really hasn't bonded with her at all and that's making me struggle with bonding with her properly, as this should be happiest and most exciting time right? Did anyone struggle to initially bond with their pup? The cat also hasn't taken to her at all and stays upstairs - it really just feels like everything has changed and nothing will be the same again.

There have been a few times where I've thought of the possibility of giving her up as I hate the thought of her picking up on any negative vibes but I know I would be absolutely heartbroken.
I definitely had a phase of OMG what have we done. It is hard.

Once you’re out of the puppy phase and they know what to do/where to poo etc it is much better. I think after about 6 months of age the dog starts to calm down. I think you would regret giving her up.

• Heart

S4buk

VIP Member
I feel like two months ago I could have written this post myself (and looking back on the thread I did write similar!) I promise you, it does get easier! My pup was exactly the same, extremely attached to me, crazy hours at night which felt uncontrollable, and the biting! Omg the biting! I read awful! There were many times I sat and cried and thought “what have I done”. We’re coming out the other side of it now, he’s lost a fair few teeth and we’ve seen him calm more and more over the last week or two. He still plays up of an evening occasionally but it’s nowhere near as bad and doesn’t last as long! Once you can get them out walking that helps burn off the extra energy too! I promise though you’re not alone, we’ve all been there and these feelings are totally normal! It will get easier
Couldn't have put better myself, it's crazy looking at my first post in this thread and how far we've (all) come since. Although she is by no means an angel, things really do get better and there really isn't a lot I complain about apart from the fact she jumps all over the place. I can't tell you how many times I thought about giving her up, so don't feel guilty about that it's the stress and tiredness... give it a few weeks.

• Heart

Maid22

VIP Member
I'm really struggling after rehoming my pup, to me it's worst than them dying, cos they're all buried here, but it's the not knowing how his little life is

• Sad

aidil

VIP Member
Has anyone's dog been prescribed fluoxetine?
We prescribe it very often at my work and my own dog was on it for a short while. Very commonly prescribed by behaviourists now and I’ve seen lots of success stories in patients at work.

• Heart

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
I know it makes me feel sad..We got a puppy and some days we don’t enjoy him at all..Todays 1 of them 😒 ..Someone has posted about it being resource guarding and it does sound like that after I’ve just googled it..I might have to get a dog behaviourist ..I was thinking if I had him done but that help?
Ultimately no. Resource guarding has nothing to do with testosterone and whilst a dog is displaying signs of resource guarding I wouldnt even be considering neutering.

A behaviourist is a great place to start, contact your vet and see who they recommend. You may find your insurance will cover some of the cost.

Resource guarding with cockapoos is very common, its the cocker spaniel genetics.

Right now he is just growling but without help it could escalate to biting or attempted biting.

For the time being restrict (as much as possible with an 8yo I can empathise) access to any items you dont want him getting and dont leave things laying around he can take, ie shoes, socks, bits of paper, food.

With treats give only fast eaten ones, nothing that can be guarded or kept.

Toys etc (if he does guard these, not all dogs will) keep them for outside play only and lift them when play is done and dog isnt there.

If he is guarding furniture I would try and really encourage him not to come up. So a firm 'no' 'uh uh' if he tries to get up.

If he does get on and you want him down, use a high value treat to encourage him off the furniture. Also swapping high value treats for items that he has that you dont want him to have.

With your 8yo for now you could have him putting food down etc if your dog is respectful at meal times and waits to be commanded to eat etc. However if your dog is laying somewhere I would try to get your child not to approach them right now and only interact when the dog approaches him.

My oldest dog can be a bit unsettled around my eldest child and Im continually telling them not to encroach the dogs space.

A great resource if you are on Facebook is Cockapoo Owners Club. They have files on so many different things.

Pesky Tarian

VIP Member
OK the vets just rang and said he's had pre op and she really cannot feel anything so recommends we wait until he's 18 months. So he's coming home. Whilst I'm thrilled he's not having invasive surgery I'm a bit annoyed at the first vet (or poss vet nurse) who said oh no no have them out immediately and booked us in. All this stress for nothing.

• Heart

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Silly question but will the barking in the morning ever end!?!?! Our pup tends to wake up between 5-7am and we then let her out (and she goes to the loo). I guess as she gets older she’ll be able to hold her business in longer? Silly question I know!
All dogs are different, my eldest dog is a lazy lump and has happily slept in since we got him home. Youngest is an early bird and up at 6am still at 8 months old. Most dogs will doze all evening and be up earlyish especially when its light out. Youl probably find coming into winter and darker mornings theyl sleep in a bit.