PTWM #116 The Patchwork Store to help the poor. Where does the cash go? No one’s sure.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
View attachment 1109287
"I work really closely with Refuge"
Shame they couldn't get your name right Raq.......or did they? :unsure: :LOL:
On this as well… so Tova Leigh has a powerful topic to discuss. Avon - big brand, everyone knows who they are at least and body image can be very important to self confidence. Rachet….. doesn’t even have any info, just her stupid name put down 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 5
Poor Wilby not being given any veg or beans with his nuggets. Not even any dip! Although majority of those sweets probably went home with her so he probably ate those.

Reactions: 12
I don't want to upset anyone and I'm not meaning this in a bad way, but how can so many people with High earning jobs be living on council estates? Where I live, council housing is for people who can't afford to rent privately or own. If you are a doctor or both decent earners surely you should be vacating your council house for someone who can't afford to live elsewhere? I work with families who are living in bedsits or b&bs coz there is no housing for them, I'm wondering how much of our local housing is taken up by people who can afford to love elsewhere.

BTW love council house estates most friendly people I have ever met

• Wow
Reactions: 15
I don't want to upset anyone and I'm not meaning this in a bad way, but how can so many people with High earning jobs be living on council estates? Where I live, council housing is for people who can't afford to rent privately or own. If you are a doctor or both decent earners surely you should be vacating your council house for someone who can't afford to live elsewhere? I work with families who are living in bedsits or b&bs coz there is no housing for them, I'm wondering how much of our local housing is taken up by people who can afford to love elsewhere.

I don’t know because when I moved into my council home, in my contract is says I have to tell them if I earn over a certain amount each year. I can’t remember the amount off the top of my head.
Then again I know some people in housing association houses that earn loads. The affordable HA In our area still isn’t that affordable. Most 3 bed properties are £200 a week rent.

Reactions: 4

I don't know how it works... but Rs best mate missgreedyshome was living in a council house (she lied and said she owned it until she moved out) but while she was living in the council house she managed to save up for an almost £400k house.
I do think if people have the means and affordability they should offer the house to someone who is desperate but I don't know how much the council look into these things 🤷‍♀️

• Angry

It may be because a lot of council houses are bought? Our house is an ex council house (though it’s actually not on an estate, rather in a road that’s randomly on its own in the middle of what are quite ‘posh’ houses). We have bought ours, however, we bought it from my in laws and uncle in law after my husband’s grandma died, as the house was originally hers. We consider ourselves extremely lucky because we got it for really good price and it’s an amazing house. Most of the houses in our street are bought now but there are a few still that have council tenants and it’s a lovely road to live in with no issues.

Lots of people got the opportunity to buy their council houses back in the day, so that’s why estates can be a mix of owned, council, private rental etc.

We're very lucky that we have a lifetime tenancy. Although we both work, we are still quite low earners. I appreciate our house every single day. I hate private landlords and those who BTL. It's made the housing market (in our area at least) so unattainable for many. We waited 10 years for our house and honestly know how lucky we are. Many years of living in crappy private rented has shown me this.
Sorry, off on a tangent
Rach is still a bleep 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 15

In my case, my family live in London.
A 3 bed house in west London is about £3k per month in rent. Rent prices are stupidly high.
Many of my family were placed in council housing before they qualified as professionals.
They don’t earn enough to rent privately. the average house price in London is around £400k.

people simply can’t afford to do it.
It’s not being “taken up” by them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I can’t believe Wilby is eating nuggets and chips instead of the roast dinner.

• Sad
Reactions: 8

Security.
The answer is security.

In an ‘ideal’ world people would start in low cost housing and work their way up towards buying a property, saving as they rent. Then go on to buy with a fluffy cloud to put their head on and a unicorn in the back garden. We don’t live in a ideal world. We live in a world where life can throw you a curveball at any time and if you’ve actually been skint and struggled to feed yourself etc, there’s no way you are going to give up a secure tenancy with rent you can afford, in favour of a private landlord just because things are relatively comfortable for you at that particular time and someone else may need your home. Which also is another factor, just because it’s local authority on paper, does not mean it’s not someone’s home in real life. Most people rather die than lose a home, even if others might just see it as bricks and a roof.

Is it fair? Probably not, although we all have dues to pay and the wait for social housing, that everyone goes through, is an endurance in itself. The answer is not people giving up their tenancy for others, it’s that the government need to make good on the manifesto pledge that they would build 20k starter homes. Only they can’t right now due to the fact that they are tit and the country is slam dunking into an inevitable recession.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Security.
The answer is security.

In an ‘ideal’ world people would start in low cost housing and work their way up towards buying a property, saving as they rent. Then go on to buy with a fluffy cloud to put their head on and a unicorn in the back garden. We don’t live in a ideal world. We live in a world where life can throw you a curveball at any time and if you’ve actually been skint and struggled to feed yourself etc, there’s no way you are going to give up a secure tenancy with rent you can afford, in favour of a private landlord just because things are relatively comfortable for you at that particular time and someone else may need your home. Which also is another factor, just because it’s local authority on paper, does not mean it’s not someone’s home in real life. Most people rather die than lose a home, even if others might just see it as bricks and a roof.

Is it fair? Probably not, although we all have dues to pay and the wait for social housing, that everyone goes through, is an endurance in itself. The answer is not people giving up their tenancy for others, it’s that the government need to make good on the manifesto pledge that they would build 20k starter homes. Only they can’t right now due to the fact that they are tit and the country is slam dunking into an inevitable recession.
Exactly this.

my partner owned his own company for 20 years. It fell apart and we lost everything. We now private rent and had to up and move out of London because we had no chance of saving. It will take us another 10 years to save to own our own home.
If someone offered me a council house I would grab it with both hands.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Security.
The answer is security.

🙌🙌. Spot on ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 3
But the food will still be cold as its just sat there with noone there, no plates, cutlery or drinks etc! Most people sit up then serve the food. Dick

Reactions: 7
Security.
The answer is security.

Exactly this.

When we first moved into our council house we struggled for years when the kids were little and stupidly ended up in debt. We finally got out of it after about 5 years and then ended up much better off for the last 4/5 years so enjoyed a few luxuries. Would i have given the CH up? No because to private rent they would have wanted a huge deposit and rent up front never mind the fact it would have cost at least £200 extra a month for it.

Now with the rising cost of living we will be struggling again soon. Just with gas, electric and rent increase that's an extra £250 per month. I've yet to get the council tax and water bills but we're already contemplating cancelling the holiday we have booked for the summer. I'm luckier than most and am glad we can still pay the bills and not have to choose between heating and eating and am so grateful for that as i've learnt by past experience.

However I can see most of the huns being in the "heating or eating" category. Rach doesn't seem to understand this lifestyle though but eventually it will be her that suffers as people wont be able to afford to "support her doing the things she loves" when they cant put a meal on the table.

Reactions: 18
the only thing I’ll say on that is that my toddler sometimes ends up with nuggets and chips when we have something else….but usually only after she’s refused to eat the main meal and I need to make sure she’s actually eaten something. Actually to be honest it’s normally beans, toast and a banana whilst I cry in the corner about her sheer stubbornness 😂😂
I think this is probably the case. My child who has Autism eats the same meal every single day, and despite us trying for years and years (and even under dietician) will not try anything new. It's honestly a win if McDonald's chips are eaten as it's a change from the usual! I also would prefer something was eaten rather than nothing. The fear of trying new foods is very real, it's more than being fussy. The "they will eat if they're hungry" just does not apply.

Will stop sticking up for them now. Racquet, where's the Paypal money?

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.