Prisoner Pen Pal?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Basically, if you are a UK national then your National Insurance Number is randomly drawn.

It's a legal requirement to attend and the chances of getting out of it are very slim.
Yes you can’t get out of it easy. My mumdidn’t do it because she couldn’t due to her chronic illness but I’m sure even if pregnant you still have to do it

Sounds really interesting. but have your wits about you x
I will thank you! ☺ I’m almost 30 so not the young silly person everyone thinks haha! X

Reactions: 3
Yes you can’t get out of it easy. My mumdidn’t do it because she couldn’t due to her chronic illness but I’m sure even if pregnant you still have to do it

I will thank you! ☺ I’m almost 30 so not the young silly person everyone thinks haha! X
I know someone who had to attend 4 days post partum and was only allowed to defer when she turned up with the baby!

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 6
Basically, if you are a UK national then your National Insurance Number is randomly drawn.

It's a legal requirement to attend and the chances of getting out of it are very slim.
Unless you are rejected before the case begins, like I was. To be fair, I wasn't the only one who wasn't picked.

Reactions: 1

Just to give another experience, I was called to do jury service twice and each time I wrote back with the reasons why I wouldn't be suitable and that I had no childcare. Courts don't want reluctant jurors and I was excused both times.

Reactions: 5
Unless you are rejected before the case begins, like I was. To be fair, I wasn't the only one who wasn't picked.
This has happened to me! You wait around all day for them to come and say "oh they've changed to a guilty plea now" and the court didn't even have 4G 😂 longest day of my life

Reactions: 4
At the risk of sounding flippant, the Catherine Tate character Elaine Figgis had an American penpal on Death Row. We can laugh about that situation as it’s a comedy programme but sometimes life mirrors art. I’d be very careful that your good nature isn’t taken advantage of.

Reactions: 10
We definitely need to be careful about who we write to. We could be writing to this guy! Lol

EDIT to say I hadn’t read the full article - I was joking about the chicken part obviously not the whole story.
6C9E0D59-028B-43DB-B617-0C8214C18D90.png

• Angry
  • Sick
Yes I have an inmate pen pal, I do it through JPay, this person doesn’t know any of my personal details and I’m very careful about giving details out etc, he has said many times he’s just got someone to talk too.

Reactions: 2
Do you watch Love After Lockup? Most of the people on it have found relationships through write a prisoner and have been in relationships for years with the other person on the inside! Some of them even got married in prison despite having never met or known the person on the outside. It’s really interesting. The show follows the relationships once the prisoners are released (both men and women) - it’s crazy.

Last edited:
Do you watch Love After Lockup? Most of the people on it have found relationships through write a prisoner and have been in relationships for years with the other person on the inside! Some of them even got married in prison despite having never met or known the person on the outside. It’s really interesting.
I live for shows like this 😂 not for me personally, but I just love watching it happen for other people

Reactions: 4
Wow, well I lost most of my Friday evening down the rabbit hole that is write a prisoner .com
I was intrigued to see the crimes committed and how the inmates portray themselves. And for the serious nature of some of the crimes the bios are very light hearted!
So my opinion would be a person would only engage with these people out of morbid curiosity/loneliness. Or having watched too many prison docs on Netflix!
Made an interesting read for a few hours tho, but a penpal isn’t for me!

Last edited:
Do you watch Love After Lockup? Most of the people on it have found relationships through write a prisoner and have been in relationships for years with the other person on the inside! Some of them even got married in prison despite having never met or known the person on the outside. It’s really interesting. The show follows the relationships once the prisoners are released (both men and women) - it’s crazy.
What channel is this on please?

My synagogue encouraged us to write to prisoners once and I never heard back. I always thought it was rude considering they have plenty of free time 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Out of curiosity,

you make “friends” with this prisoner, under the impression they were wrongly accused or that they’re rehabilitated.

they seem normal and nothing shady goes on, it’s just a friendship and that’s that.

5 years down the line, after release, you find out they stabbed a 75 year old woman to death, or raped and killed a girlfriend, or hurt a child.

how would you (or anyone) feel that you offered them friendship.
WORD.

To get involved in this type of thing is just odd.

If you have time on your hands spend your time wisely by doing something more conducive to society.

Stick to watching American crime dramas on the box.

Reactions: 11
Sorry but this is so rude and unnecessary to ask what I may be missing in life It’s not about that at all or glamourising
a crime. These people aren’t all bad people and I have chosen very carefully who I have written a letter to and done research before doing so since it’s something I have wanted to do for a while. Many people do this for all the wrong reasons and I am not one of them. I suggest if you have an input then do so without making assumptions of people you don’t know.

Yes I am in the uk

Because i do. Not all of these people are bad people. And like I have said above I have done my research. I have made this to ask for stories and not to be judged
I haven’t judged you, I asked a question. You’re awfully defensive, aren’t you.

Reactions: 10
I haven’t judged you, I asked a question. You’re awfully defensive, aren’t you.
It genuinely concerns me that this person, who can't see the perspective of other posters is communicating with criminals. With all due respect, I don't think she is very 'street wise' and that is me being polite.

Her Google searches apparently count as research.

In my opinion there must be something missing in her life - otherwise she would direct her energy to assisting those in genuine need. Not single handedly attempting to rehabilitate criminals.

Reactions: 13
there’s a woman who follows me on Twitter who is married to an inmate in the US - I think he’s in California, and she’s in the North of the UK. They met through writing to each other and she goes to visit him twice a year. She’s quite open about it but never talks about his crime.

Reactions: 2
with my penpal, and the charity I chose to sign up with, mean he doesn't get my details in any way he only knows my username and that I am in the UK I can choose what I tell him, I have read the court case, I have heard his side and the prosecutions - I am not judging him he is being judged enough - our chats are mainly almost like a therapy session for him, I do not send him money, I do not worry about falling in love with him.

For some people I guess they have a motive as to why they do it - but for me, I know I would appreciate someone to talk too.
I also take what he says with a pinch of salt too like I do with most people online I've never met.

Very interesting topic! I‘m currently studying law and thinking of becoming a criminal defense attorney, if that happens I will have to write to prisoners (obviously) but before then? I‘m not sure if I‘d do it just for the „fun“ of it.
I‘m not even sure if it‘s possible in Germany tbh.

Reactions: 1