Prisoner Pen Pal?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello

Has anyone ever had a pen pal in prison?
I have just written my first letter to someone and want to know if anyone has any experiences to share or any advice on the type of things to write into the letters?

It's something I have always wanted to do so I finally wrote one! I hope to hear back, it's all very interesting to me

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
This is really interesting! Can I ask how did you go about this?
I used this website https://writeaprisoner.com/
Sign up for a free accounts and you can use jpay email or write a letter. You can search by the type of person that is you wish to write to, so age range, gender, the prison sentence and if they’re on death row and so on. It also shows you the crime they committed
There are profiles with photos and an about me

Reactions: 2
No because working in the system, I just find glamourising crime so odd and this type of thing usually appeals to the most vulnerable and boundary bankrupt of people, no offence. You're rewarding offenders and handing them the golden ticket to continue to manipulate. They will rewrite history and thoroughly enjoy the control and knowing someone (usually many women at one time) is enthralled by their antics and often wanting to 'understand ' the 'real them'. I think it's more valuable to address what is missing in your life and question why not many men do this.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 145
I didn’t know this was an actual thing you could do. Are you in the UK?

Reactions: 3
No because working in the system, I just find glamourising crime so odd and this type of thing usually appeals to the most vulnerable and boundary bankrupt of people, no offence. You're rewarding offenders and handing them the golden ticket to continue to manipulate. They will rewrite history and thoroughly enjoy the control and knowing someone (usually many women at one time) is enthralled by their antics and often wanting to 'understand ' the 'real them'. I think it's more valuable to address what is missing in your life and question why not many men do this.
Sorry but this is so rude and unnecessary to ask what I may be missing in life It’s not about that at all or glamourising
a crime. These people aren’t all bad people and I have chosen very carefully who I have written a letter to and done research before doing so since it’s something I have wanted to do for a while. Many people do this for all the wrong reasons and I am not one of them. I suggest if you have an input then do so without making assumptions of people you don’t know.

I didn’t know this was an actual thing you could do. Are you in the UK?
Yes I am in the uk

Why would you want to do this? Genuine question.
Because i do. Not all of these people are bad people. And like I have said above I have done my research. I have made this to ask for stories and not to be judged

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
Before I get anymore snobby comments

there are both men and women you can choose from. Some are in prison for standing up against domestic abuse or because they were involved in gangs from a young age and it was a matter of fight or die.
Not all crimes involve murder.

• Angry
Reactions: 34
Before I get anymore snobby comments

there are both men and women you can choose from. Some are in prison for standing up against domestic abuse or because they were involved in gangs from a young age and it was a matter of fight or die.
Not all crimes involve murder.
I think it is very admiral of you to do so. I think you have obviously made your choice of who to talk to and I am sure your letter will be welcomed. I absolutely do not condone crimes at all but I have to say that prison fascinates me. I watch crime/prison documentaries all the time. Some of the prisoners have amazing stories to tell. It’s a completely different way of life. Let us all know how it goes!

Reactions: 14
I think it is very admiral of you to do so. I think you have obviously made your choice of who to talk to and I am sure your letter will be welcomed. I absolutely do not condone crimes at all but I have to say that prison fascinates me. I watch crime/prison documentaries all the time. Some of the prisoners have amazing stories to tell. It’s a completely different way of life. Let us all know how it goes!
Thank you! I know some people do it with the wrong intention but there are so many people in there from all ages and genders! So many have a story, and you're not actually suppose to discuss the crime unless they do first.
There are some very evil people in there but not all of them are, I find it sad someone could be in there for a choice they made to survive. I couldn't ever imagine.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Hello

Has anyone ever had a pen pal in prison?
I have just written my first letter to someone and want to know if anyone has any experiences to share or any advice on the type of things to write into the letters?

It's something I have always wanted to do so I finally wrote one! I hope to hear back, it's all very interesting to me
It's something I've never thought about doing to be honest but it sounds interesting! Let us know how you get on? If you get a reply...
What did you say to the prisoner if you don't mind me asking lol! Also what made you pick that particular prisoner ?

Reactions: 2
I’ve never written to a stranger in prison but I have to a family member who was in prison for a few years.
I think as long as you are sensible and have boundaries in place then it’s fine. Why not do what you can to bring a bit of joy to someone’s life. I think it’s a lovely thing to do and I’m sure your correspondence will be gratefully received.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
It’s quite interesting reading some of their bio’s , I’ve already found a rapist murderer and man who’s in for burglary 1 ( I’m not sure what the 1 stands for), I wouldn’t write to them though, I’ve found another who’s out in a few months, I wonder if he’s looking for somewhere to stay!!!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
I think your reasons for doing it are admirable but I hope you’ve done extensive research into the person you’ve written to. I had a nosy at the link you posted and it states that the prisoners provide the reason as to why they’re in prison. The site says that whilst it verifies the info given, in most cases the full scope of their crimes is not detailed. And even if you’re doing this with good intentions the person on the other end could tell you absolutely anything and you’d be none the wiser as to whether it was true.

• Wow
Reactions: 13
It's something I've never thought about doing to be honest but it sounds interesting! Let us know how you get on? If you get a reply...
What did you say to the prisoner if you don't mind me asking lol! Also what made you pick that particular prisoner ?
I just wrote a bit about myself and then bits about their bio, it said they like to write poems and tell jokes etc.. I just said I enjoy all of those things too. It has taken me a while to find one that I think I could write to! I picked him because I liked his bio and could related to some of the things

I am also looking for a female to write too as well, I found one that hasn't heard from friends and her only family is her grandmother but I couldn't find more details about her case! Some of them are my age and I can imagine some have gone through horrible stuff to get to where they are and made a bad choice!

It’s quite interesting reading some of their bio’s , I’ve already found a rapist murderer and man who’s in for burglary 1 ( I’m not sure what the 1 stands for), I wouldn’t write to them though, I’ve found another who’s out in a few months, I wonder if he’s looking for somewhere to stay!!!
Yes I found a girl who sounds like that too!! There is someone on there and a documentary was made on him!!!
I think your reasons for doing it are admirable but I hope you’ve done extensive research into the person you’ve written to. I had a nosy at the link you posted and it states that the prisoners provide the reason as to why they’re in prison. The site says that whilst it verifies the info given, in most cases the full scope of their crimes is not detailed. And even if you’re doing this with good intentions the person on the other end could tell you absolutely anything and you’d be none the wiser as to whether it was true.
Yeah I did! I've wanted to do it for a few years now and I saw a few and then looked into their crimes. If I couldn't find more info online then I wouldn't write to that person.

Reactions: 4
This attitude is probably a sign you should stop working in the system. Where’s your belief in rehabilitation and that people can change?

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 36
It stands for "first-degree burglary" which in many parts of the USA means he robbed someone's house rather than a business

I can't imagine writing to someone in prison but this is an intriguing thread!

Reactions: 5
No shame on you for doing it, you do you. But personally I wouldn't want to. I guess I couldn't see myself benefitting from it in any way, and I also don't know how I could really be of any benefit to a prisoner in America? I'm not sure I'd find it easy to make conversation with them without it always reverting back to their crime.

I also find it interesting that you want to do this, given the opinions you had on the death penalty thread. However, I hope you get what you want out of it, and as I say, no shame at all!

Reactions: 10