Pregnancy #58

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone gave any thought to formula and nappy brands? Trying to stock up but have no idea what to buy šŸ¤Æ

Oh and those which have had c-sections, any suggestions for post-birth disposable underwear?
---
Iā€™ve chosen Kendamil. Iā€™ve never formula fed before so itā€™s all new to me, but I personally liked that itā€™s British made, has no palm oil, soy oil or fish oil (myself, my husband and toddler are veggie). Iā€™ve bought some of the ready made bottles and one tin of the formula, but like most things with babies you never know if it will work for them etc, so I havenā€™t stocked up and am obviously open to changing if needs be. Also- cost is something that definitely needs to be considered too.

In my experience, everyone has a different opinion of nappy brands! I found that we changed brands at different stages (slept bigger stretches through the night, started crawling, moved to the pull ups etc!) so I would recommend stocking up on different brands and seeing what works for you. I personally really liked a lot of the supermarket own brands (Sainsburyā€™s worked best for us!) but we have got a variety to try again this time. I found Tesco, Kit and Kin and Pampers all to be pretty decent. We do our weekly shop with Ocado at the mo so will be trying those this time too.

I used Always disposable underwear last time and have stocked up again. Iā€™ve heard really good things about the FridaMom ones too!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Has anyone gave any thought to formula and nappy brands? Trying to stock up but have no idea what to buy šŸ¤Æ

Oh and those which have had c-sections, any suggestions for post-birth disposable underwear?
---
I got the Fridamom disposable underwear, but with my first c section I use primark extra big knickers, they was so comfy! I got some more for this time round

• Heart

---
For nappies were gonna use Aldi ones in the yellow pack, up until size 3 they were amazing for my first born and so cheap!
We've gone with Kendamil for formula cos it's meant to be sensitive, my first born has CMPA so I'm clueless on formula hahaha, I've just seen people say good things about Kendamil

• Heart
Iā€™m only 10w5d, but I think I need some fluid and probably sickness injections, obviously havenā€™t met my midwife yet so do I go to EPU? I did in my last pregnancy but that was a different country and they had their own maternity hospital. Feel absolutely shocking šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø
Your gp can sort you out with anti emetics if you need them

---
Aldi incontinence pants so they have the pad built in worked for me.

Re formula and nappies, as @aggytha says, wait and see what works.
I like Aldi nappies but in new born found any newborn adequate really. Some babies have really chubby little legs and others skinny so what works for one, wonā€™t for another, itā€™s trial and error. Just remember to pull out the frills!

Re wipes i brought reusable but couldnā€™t get on with them so the got all biodegradable however I soon realised you generally put the wipes with the nappy, in a plastic nappy sack so it was a bit pointless!! Aldi were my faves if not been but theyā€™re 3x the price!!

Formula again, wait before buying too much, there are different formulas for allergies, reflux etc. I BF so no expert but used ready made cow and gate as a top up until baby was suspected CMPA so had a load of expensive little bottles we couldnā€™t use! They wouldnā€™t accept the CMPA one either.

One thing though is to buy to budget, donā€™t break yourself for a Ā£14 one vs Aldi at Ā£8.50 if your budget dictates and baby can have it. Aldiā€™s is almost identical to Cow and Gate. Even organic formulas are not that dissimilar to non organic as the regulations on what goes into them and how little pesticide etc can be used are so strict, they are all very similar.

• Heart
Reactions: 3

---
we used aptamil first time so will probably do the same again this time if formula feeding. Although, Iā€™ve never really looked into other options and the differences.

for nappies we used Aldiā€™s up until the biggest size then moved onto Asdaā€™s little angels. Will be using both of these again this time.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
32 weeks at the min and feel like everytime I go the loo I have really excessive discharge, is this normal? Feel so stupid but I really don't remember from my last pregnancy at all!

• Heart
32 weeks at the min and feel like everytime I go the loo I have really excessive discharge, is this normal? Feel so stupid but I really don't remember from my last pregnancy at all!
My discharge really ramped up the last couple of weeks - unless itā€™s smelly or different to usual I wouldnā€™t t worry too much? Maybe just mention it to your midwife

• Heart
My section was an emergency section so I had no time to prepare, it all got thrown at me all so suddenly I had no times to process it! She werenā€™t here long after they said I was having one so I was too shocked to ask any questions! Iā€™d have a big long list if I was booked in for one like you! No harm in asking, being prepared is a good thing!
Think cos I had one previously, like you EMCS, and just had to get on with it and survived Iā€™ve not thought much on it but youā€™re right. Covid too so minimal monitoring before, out asap, no OH staying with me, fewer staff etc. All a bit ā€˜donā€™t moan, youā€™re lucky to be hereā€™. It was over and days later before I even processed whatā€™d happened but I can be much more in control this time, thereā€™s no need to ā€˜get on with itā€™.
Iā€™m going to make a list of Qs for the consultant.
---
I meant *Aveeno wipes - but sooo expensive

Last edited:
  • Heart
Nappies Iā€™m going to get a few different ones and try but hoping Aldi cos theyā€™re cheap. If you download the pampers app you can get Ā£6 off a pack.

havenā€™t even thought about formula yet. Need to do some research!

I think we're going to go with Aldi nappies, heard lots of good feedback about them and they're super cheap.
I still haven't decided how I want to feed. I feel like I should be saying breast but I just don't want to commit to that, nor can I actually envision it happening. But there's still some ridiculous taboo around that subject that makes mums feel like they have to at least try.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
You get a free pack of pampers in the second bag if you sign up to Emmaā€™s diary too. Worth it for that alone (most of the other stuff is leaflets or tiny samples!).

• Heart
Getting ready to watch Eurovision and I'll be honest, without a margarita in hand it's not hitting the same šŸ˜‚
I'll make up for it in the summer haha

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I think we're going to go with Aldi nappies, heard lots of good feedback about them and they're super cheap.
I still haven't decided how I want to feed. I feel like I should be saying breast but I just don't want to commit to that, nor can I actually envision it happening. But there's still some ridiculous taboo around that subject that makes mums feel like they have to at least try.
Iā€™ve never breast fed. Not even with my first. I didnā€™t want to try, my partner asked me if I wanted to breastfeed and I said nope. I was asked by my midwife at every appointment and I just said, Iā€™ve made my mind up and I want to formula feed. When I gave birth the midwife was all over me wanting me to get my boob out, I said ā€˜thereā€™s ready made formula with teats in my bagā€™ and that was that šŸ˜Š with my second my midwife asked me once how Iā€™m feeding and I said formula and it was never mentioned again! Same at the birth they just asked before they got her out and they never questioned it. Donā€™t think their as bothered with the second tbh šŸ˜‚ But once I made it clear I was adament with the first, they didnā€™t say anything else. My Mum and sister were the same, just wanted to formula feed and never even considered breast. You do you and make your own decision, you are right though some people like to make it into an unnecessarilary touchy subject. Like that meme says, they all end up eating mcdonaldā€™s fries up off the floor anyway šŸ¤£

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Getting ready to watch Eurovision and I'll be honest, without a margarita in hand it's not hitting the same šŸ˜‚
I'll make up for it in the summer haha
Same šŸ¤£ I've got a couple tins of alcohol free kopperberg strawberry and lime gin and lemonade instead, they're actually really nice!

• Haha
  • Heart
Iā€™m a few weeks behind you but Iā€™ve also noticed my discharge has increased (Iā€™m having to wear a pant liner most days now!) and I asked my midwife and she said it is normal. As long as itā€™s not smelly or a funny colour which could be an infection she said not to worry. I was panicking it was my mucus plug but she said increased discharge is normal

• Heart
I tried to breastfeed my first, it was awful, I was so tired, he wouldnā€™t latch on, we were in hospital for a week. Something snapped and I just realised I didnā€™t have to do it, we formula fed and it worked for us. With my second I very loosely tried to breastfeed in hospital but knew Iā€™d go straight to formula when I got home. No judgement from anyone, you just do what you want to do!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Same šŸ¤£ I've got a couple tins of alcohol free kopperberg strawberry and lime gin and lemonade instead, they're actually really nice!
Ooo I have alcohol free Koppaberg I forgot about! I just made a caffeine free coke with ice and lemon wedges, I'm out of control clearly šŸ˜‚

• Haha
  • Heart
Yes, I was the same last time. I feel like I have a lot as it is but remember there was so much towards the end last time I actually asked to be checked for thrush but didnā€™t have it.
Iā€™ve never breast fed. Not even with my first. I didnā€™t want to try, my partner asked me if I wanted to breastfeed and I said nope. I was asked by my midwife at every appointment and I just said, Iā€™ve made my mind up and I want to formula feed. When I gave birth the midwife was all over me wanting me to get my boob out, I said ā€˜thereā€™s ready made formula with teats in my bagā€™ and that was that šŸ˜Š with my second my midwife asked me once how Iā€™m feeding and I said formula and it was never mentioned again! Same at the birth they just asked before they got her out and they never questioned it. Donā€™t think their as bothered with the second tbh šŸ˜‚ But once I made it clear I was adament with the first, they didnā€™t say anything else. My Mum and sister were the same, just wanted to formula feed and never even considered breast. You do you and make your own decision, you are right though some people like to make it into an unnecessarilary touchy subject. Like that meme says, they all end up eating mcdonaldā€™s fries up off the floor anyway šŸ¤£
I formula fed first time, because I was so ill with HG there was no way I was going to breastfeed. I spent 9months ill and barely able to look after myself so wanted to get back to normal as soon as possible, but every appointment I was always encouraged to breastfeed and was told Iā€™d get my figure back quicker if I breastfed! Then after giving birth I was just asked what I wanted to do, no one encouraged me to try breastfeeding so I went straight to the ready made I had with me.

I hate all this normalise breastfeeding, how about normalising formula feeding, all feeding! There is always a pressure to breastfeed, ā€œbreast is bestā€ and it people turn their nose up at formula feeding when there is no issues with it at all. Iā€™d love to try breastfeeding but it just seems so hard and it confuses me with pumping and cluster feeding, how do you know if theyā€™re getting enough etc? I might try and see how it goes but I just know I wonā€™t be committed to it because I know how easy it was to formula feed last time.

• Heart
Donā€™t know why Iā€™ve only just realised but I have haha! Iā€™m going to have a very sober summer 30th birthday šŸ˜­šŸ˜‚

Oooo I had an alcohol free kopperberg today aswell and it was pretty good šŸ„³šŸ’ƒšŸ» party animal over here haha!

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.