Pregnancy #45

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hormones are in full force this morning…. Just full on blabbed, proper ugly cried over my Dog….. she’s fine, she’s good, loving life asleep on sofa but just cried about how much I love the little Git.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Has anyone had to go on SSP before maternity leave starts?
I’ve been dealing with - and managing - dizziness for the last 4/5 weeks. No real cause for it (other than pregnancy!) after lots of hospital tests.
However it’s getting to the point where I’m nearly fainting when taking the kids I nanny for on the school run which feels extremely dangerous (for all of us).
I feel like such a failure not being able to smooth through this pregnancy and really worried about losing my last 4 weeks of pay, something happening to him if I were to collapse alone and just in general for struggling so bloody much when everyone makes it look so easy 😢😢
Depending on when you plan to start maternity leave, being off sick can affect your maternity pay.
Depends how long you're off for too 😊

Depending on when you plan to start maternity leave, being off sick can affect your maternity pay.
Depends how long you're off for too 😊
Planned to start at 30 weeks (due to the dizziness) so will see what the doctor says tomorrow.
It says online that you only need to work up until 15 weeks before the due date to get full SMP so would’ve been 8th jan, just need to confirm with someone maybe HMRC? But I think that’s right 🤯

Planned to start at 30 weeks (due to the dizziness) so will see what the doctor says tomorrow.
It says online that you only need to work up until 15 weeks before the due date to get full SMP so would’ve been 8th jan, just need to confirm with someone maybe HMRC? But I think that’s right 🤯
Yeah that's because you can take mat leave from 29 weeks.
So it'd be 4 weeks before that as your pay is based on your last 4 weeks 😊

So for you, if you're taking it at 30 weeks, it would be based on weeks 26-30.

But if you go on sick leave and not mat leave up to 30 weeks, then your mat pay will be based on your sick pay

Yeah that's because you can take mat leave from 29 weeks.
So it'd be 4 weeks before that as your pay is based on your last 4 weeks 😊

So for you, if you're taking it at 30 weeks, it would be based on weeks 26-30.

But if you go on sick leave and not mat leave up to 30 weeks, then your mat pay will be based on your sick pay
Oh this is so confusing 😢 and so stressful.
So I can’t take unpaid leave or be off sick in the next 4 weeks?
Do you have a link? I can only find that SMP is based on your earnings between 18-26 weeks 😣
Edited to add what I’ve read in case it’s from a different website

Attachments

Oh this is so confusing 😢 and so stressful.
So I can’t take unpaid leave or be off sick in the next 4 weeks?
Do you have a link? I can only find that SMP is based on your earnings between 18-26 weeks 😣
Okay so I apologise.
It seems your is correct.
I did go on mat leave at 29 weeks and I'm sure it was 4 weeks wages beforehand.
But this was 5 years ago so it may have been different!

Reactions: 1
Sorry you've been suffering so much 🙁 double check but yes, you should be entitled to SMP if you have to go off sick for a pregnancy-related illness in the 4 weeks before your maternity leave was due to start - the rate of pay doesn't differ, it just means your maternity leave is triggered at the point you go off sick so it's the equivalent of bringing it forward. Is there an option to discuss another parent taking the children to/from school and you doing your role just from the children's house until your planned start date? If the parents are reasonable it might be worth asking if they're prepared to be flexible due to how the dizziness is affecting you. And don't feel bad, pregnancy affects everyone differently and it's nothing you've done wrong!

EDIT - I've just seen your above post and it's all so confusing, but the qualifying week for maternity pay etc is based on your due date (which is fixed) not the date you planned to/end up starting maternity leave. I think you're due the day before me (I'm 26 weeks tomorrow) and the 15 week qualifying deadline has passed for me so will have passed for you too - so you should be entitled to the same rate of pay if you were to go off sick now as what you would have been entitled to from your planned maternity leave start date.

Reactions: 2
While we’re talking maternity pay, if once I’ve had the baby and am feeling ready for it (likely late this year if not early next - I go back in April 2024) am I able to pick up bank shifts if it’s not in my contract?

While we’re talking maternity pay, if once I’ve had the baby and am feeling ready for it (likely late this year if not early next - I go back in April 2024) am I able to pick up bank shifts if it’s not in my contract?
Not whilst on mat leave. It counts as returning to work

You can do 10 KIT (keeping in touch) days throughout your maternity. What you do on them is to be agreed between you and your employer but they usually need to be arranged in advance.

Okay so I apologise.
It seems your is correct.
I did go on mat leave at 29 weeks and I'm sure it was 4 weeks wages beforehand.
But this was 5 years ago so it may have been different!
I think it does change fairly frequently as someone else I asked who had mat leave only a few years ago thought similar!
Thank you for your help anyway!! It’s such a minefield with the weeks you qualify for XYZ & the weeks you can’t be off, the weeks you can work 🫠

Reactions: 2
Ladies, can anyone help? We are going away in March and I will need a few dresses to wear around the pool/beach etc. and some bits for the evening too. I’ll be 24 weeks at that point. Can anyone recommend where I can get decent maternity wear that won’t cost an arm and a leg?! 🤣

Asos and H&M have quite a lot of maternity stuff, asos have always got discount codes too! Not sure if I’ve seen someone say boohoo previously but worth looking at those websites and just sizing up perhaps? X

Ladies, can anyone help? We are going away in March and I will need a few dresses to wear around the pool/beach etc. and some bits for the evening too. I’ll be 24 weeks at that point. Can anyone recommend where I can get decent maternity wear that won’t cost an arm and a leg?! 🤣
I would see if you could get away with sizing up in a few bits and that way you can wear them again x

Sorry you've been suffering so much 🙁 double check but yes, you should be entitled to SMP if you have to go off sick for a pregnancy-related illness in the 4 weeks before your maternity leave was due to start - the rate of pay doesn't differ, it just means your maternity leave is triggered at the point you go off sick so it's the equivalent of bringing it forward. Is there an option to discuss another parent taking the children to/from school and you doing your role just from the children's house until your planned start date? If the parents are reasonable it might be worth asking if they're prepared to be flexible due to how the dizziness is affecting you. And don't feel bad, pregnancy affects everyone differently and it's nothing you've done wrong!

EDIT - I've just seen your above post and it's all so confusing, but the qualifying week for maternity pay etc is based on your due date (which is fixed) not the date you planned to/end up starting maternity leave. I think you're due the day before me (I'm 26 weeks tomorrow) and the 15 week qualifying deadline has passed for me so will have passed for you too - so you should be entitled to the same rate of pay if you were to go off sick now as what you would have been entitled to from your planned maternity leave start date.
I don’t think so on the flexible work as they mainly need me for the school runs & to/from after school clubs 😖 Children are older & the only other thing I do is washing & cooking.
Will still mention in case it’s something they’re able to work with!
Okay phew so it does sound like it’ll be fine, yeah I was 26 yesterday so only few days apart!
This is when I really wish I was in a WFH job like my partner as I’m absolutely fine when sat down, it’s all the moving around (and cold weather weirdly?) that seems to set it off- or maybe that’s just a coincidence 😂

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.