Pregnancy #37 Surviving summer with bras off and bumps out

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You always have more appointments with your first pregnancy šŸ˜Š
There's quite a few they skip when it's your 2nd+

How far are you?
There's no harm in checking up obviously but ours don't contact you at all, not even recognition of getting your referral until 8+ weeks
5 or 6 I think. The answer phone only asked for my name, DOB and phone number so Iā€™d at least expect a call back to confirm whatā€™s going on.

Reactions: 2
What determines whether you are midwife or consultant led? This is all completely new to me so thereā€™s lots Iā€™m unsure if. Iā€™m so gutted I have covid and canā€™t make my booking in appointment tomorrow but after reading all your posts I feel grateful that they didnā€™t offer to do it over the phone and have rescheduled for next week.
Basically if you're classed as a high risk pregnancy or not.
I'm consultant led simply because of my bmi šŸ˜Š

I havenā€™t heard back from the message I left for the EPA service on Monday morning. If I havenā€™t heard back by Thursday Iā€™ll call again.

I work in the hospital where weā€™d likely go and I know theyā€™ve had massive issues with lack of staff, had to close the midwife led birthing unit multiple times in the last year and generally canā€™t keep up with demand. Without turning this thread political or derailing the whole NHS is on its knees at the moment but itā€™s quite swept under the rug unless youā€™re directly in it I think.
You could take a look on your trustā€™s website for ā€œearly referralā€ for pregnancy. It might be a form you fill out to self refer - then they go from there. I got myself in a muddle as well as I called the GP and tbh they sent me on a wild goosehunt - texting the local midwife team. When I phoned the trust iā€™d self-referred to online they were very reassuring and said theyā€™d be in touch with all my appts.

Itā€™s really ā€œbittyā€ the way everything comes together for pregnancy care.

You could take a look on your trustā€™s website for ā€œearly referralā€ for pregnancy. It might be a form you fill out to self refer - then they go from there. I got myself in a middle as well as I called the GP and tbh they sent me on a wild goosehunt - texting the local midwife team. When I phoned the trust if referred to online they were very reassuring and said theyā€™d be in touch with all my appts.

Itā€™s really ā€œbittyā€ the way everything comes together for pregnancy care.
Iā€™ll have a look in work tomorrow :) thatā€™s a good idea, I hadnā€™t thought of that! I donā€™t mind if they donā€™t want to do any appointments for another 5 months (well I do, but you get the drift) but I would like to be acknowledged šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 1
Iā€™ll have a look in work tomorrow :) thatā€™s a good idea, I hadnā€™t thought of that! I donā€™t mind if they donā€™t want to do any appointments for another 5 months (well I do, but you get the drift) but I would like to be acknowledged šŸ˜‚
Yes I completely know where youā€™re coming from - itā€™s has echoes of me wishing I had one of those undetected pregnancies where the woman has a tummy ache one day and a baby pops out - no regular check ups no birth plan šŸ¤£ probably been eating sushi and drinking champagne for 9 months too

Reactions: 3
Omg Iā€™ve got the WORSTTTTTT heartburn ever I can actually feel the acid in my throat. Iā€™ve had omeprazole today, Iā€™ve had a milkshake, 2 actually šŸ– and gaviscon. Nothing is working. I canā€™t cope in this heat as it is

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Yes I completely know where youā€™re coming from - itā€™s has echoes of me wishing I had one of those undetected pregnancies where the woman has a tummy ache one day and a baby pops out - no regular check ups no birth plan šŸ¤£ probably been eating sushi and drinking champagne for 9 months too
I saw a tiktok of a girl who was very fit who didnā€™t realise she was pregnant until 5 months and at 8.5 months was still going to the gym and all that jazz.

And then thereā€™s me, who flumped on the sofa when I got in because Iā€™m so tired every afternoon and Iā€™m barely even pregnant šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 5
Had a question for second time mums or those further along than me - when did the midwife or consultant start talking to you about your birthing plan/options? I had a consultant call today (again by phone) which lasted all of 3 minutes. Nothing was mentioned.
I think I was about 30 weeks when my midwife asked me about it and I basically said I didnā€™t have a plan nor want one šŸ˜‚

What determines whether you are midwife or consultant led? This is all completely new to me so thereā€™s lots Iā€™m unsure if. Iā€™m so gutted I have covid and canā€™t make my booking in appointment tomorrow but after reading all your posts I feel grateful that they didnā€™t offer to do it over the phone and have rescheduled for next week.
I was midwife led originally but was changed to consultant led after maybe 20 weeks or so due to my UTI that never went away šŸ„“

I saw a tiktok of a girl who was very fit who didnā€™t realise she was pregnant until 5 months and at 8.5 months was still going to the gym and all that jazz.

And then thereā€™s me, who flumped on the sofa when I got in because Iā€™m so tired every afternoon and Iā€™m barely even pregnant šŸ˜‚
The tiredness is no joke in the early weeks, it was absolutely gruelling for me (didnā€™t have it as much 1st time round - I do wonder if itā€™s because Iā€™m over 35 now - apparently morning sickness gets worse post that age). Your body is working like the clappers to get everything ship shape for the little one, just take it day by day.

Reactions: 4
I canā€™t remember being talked to about my birthing plan, but I do remember that from about 32 weeks or so they want you to carry your notes with you EVERYWHERE just in case.
To add to thisā€¦ I rang PAU at 28 weeks due to some pains I was having and they told me off for not having my notes with me at work!!!! I carried them everywhere after that because I was so scared of something happening šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

• Heart
Iā€™m 14 weeks and Iā€™m having a scan tomorrow morning and feel really nervous, I had a scan at 7 weeks because I had some bleeding but everything was fine then so hopefully tomorrow goes well. I had a MMC in the past so Iā€™m a bit nervous. šŸ˜•

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Iā€™m 14 weeks and Iā€™m having a scan tomorrow morning and feel really nervous, I had a scan at 7 weeks because I had some bleeding but everything was fine then so hopefully tomorrow goes well. I had a MMC in the past so Iā€™m a bit nervous. šŸ˜•
All the best šŸ„°

The early day tiredness is sooo hard isnā€™t it?! Nothing but survival mode to get through each day at a time šŸ˜« a tad dramatic but I genuinely thought Iā€™d never feel normal ever again but Iā€™m super grateful to be back, Iā€™m energetic/super motivated and sometimes need to be reminded Iā€™m 5.5 months pregnant - hope your energy levels pick back up!šŸ™šŸ¼ Also the best thing to get through each stage is reframe your perspective and look at the positives in feeling all these symptoms & enjoy your sofa naps šŸ„°

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
I was consultant led last time because of my bmi but it was a bit of a joke as the consultant appointments were completely useless. Didn't see the same one after each appointment and the appointments were literally 2 mins šŸ™„

I'm consultant led this time again because of my bmi but also because at my booking in appointment they detected I had really high blood pressure so I'm at risk of pre-eclampsia and also the baby coming early. Hopefully the consultant care will be better this time šŸ¤žšŸ»

• Heart
I was consultant led last time because of my bmi but it was a bit of a joke as the consultant appointments were completely useless. Didn't see the same one after each appointment and the appointments were literally 2 mins šŸ™„

I'm consultant led this time again because of my bmi but also because at my booking in appointment they detected I had really high blood pressure so I'm at risk of pre-eclampsia and also the baby coming early. Hopefully the consultant care will be better this time šŸ¤žšŸ»
My consultant appointments have always been useless šŸ˜‚

When I said about wanting a csection after having the 3C tear because I was scared it'll happen again all she said was "Yeah, well, maybe it won't happen this time. You don't know"

Cheers. Yeah. Great reassurance. Thanks.

• Wow
So Iā€™ve looked up that service that I was told to ring and itā€™s all geared towards people who donā€™t want to keep their baby? The other service - early pregnancy assessment - is only for people who are having bleeding or problems in the first trimester. So I guess I just leave it and hope I get some letters through about appointments? šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

So Iā€™ve looked up that service that I was told to ring and itā€™s all geared towards people who donā€™t want to keep their baby? The other service - early pregnancy assessment - is only for people who are having bleeding or problems in the first trimester. So I guess I just leave it and hope I get some letters through about appointments? šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
You need to find out if you have to self refer to the midwifery service or not. My trust do state on their website that you self refer but if not your GP surgery should be able to tell you

if you ring your GP they should give you the correct number to ring

@WeepingCassandra If you type in ā€œearly referral pregnancyā€ or ā€œself referral pregnancyā€ and your area into your web browser it will hopefully come up with your local trust and you can fill out a form to self refer. Otherwise go through your GP (not the receptionist team as they donā€™t always give the correct information).

I'd give your GP another call and ask again

I'd pester the life out of your GP, also try call EPA they maybe able to point you in the right direction to your community midwives.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.