• Overdue 🥵

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Not pregnant just nosing

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • I’ve had my Baby 👶🏼

Votes: 21 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you @Motherofpugs for the title as we make our way through the hottest day in the UK OF ALL TIME while carrying our bubbas🤰🏻🥵❤

I hope I’ve done the poll right (omg that auto corrected to the pill 🤣🤣🤣)
last thread here

• Heart
Reactions: 9
@GlennCoco they didn’t listen to the heartbeat at my 16 week appointment, it’s my second baby though and they genuinely don’t seem as arsed, the difference between this and my first pregnancy is staggering. I’m not sure if that’s because of covid though x

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Yep, my 16 week appointment was a phone call. I honestly believe that COVID is being used as an excuse now. The difference between a f2f appointment and a phone call is massive. You can’t establish someone’s general well-being from a call - what if someone isn’t able to say something is wrong or doesn’t realise something they’ve got used to could actually be a sign of something potentially worrying?

Had a question for second time mums or those further along than me - when did the midwife or consultant start talking to you about your birthing plan/options? I had a consultant call today (again by phone) which lasted all of 3 minutes. Nothing was mentioned.

Thanks to @Blair-Waldorf for starting the thread!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Yep, my 16 week appointment was a phone call. I honestly believe that COVID is being used as an excuse now. The difference between a f2f appointment and a phone call is massive. You can’t establish someone’s general well-being from a call - what if someone isn’t able to say something is wrong or doesn’t realise something they’ve got used to could actually be a sign of something potentially worrying?

Had a question for second time mums or those further along than me - when did the midwife or consultant start talking to you about your birthing plan/options? I had a consultant call today (again by phone) which lasted all of 3 minutes. Nothing was mentioned.

I can’t remember being talked to about my birthing plan, but I do remember that from about 32 weeks or so they want you to carry your notes with you EVERYWHERE just in case.

Your birth plan will go in your notes so time to start researching your preferences and putting something together. But make it flexible 🙂

Reactions: 2

With my first baby, not until my 38 week appointment.
With my second and 3rd, never 😂
This time around, because I wanted a csection, I brought it up around 32 weeks with my consultant. But other than that, nothing was brought up and after the declined that, nothing else was brought up.

You can download birth plan templates online if you want a fancy one, or just write your own.
But if you have something in mind, make sure you take it with you and physically hand it to them when you're in labour. I had a birth plan with my first and it wasn't asked about or looked at when I was in labour

Reactions: 3

Definitely. It’s shocking isn’t it. My midwife never texts me back or answers the phone either even when I fell down the stairs. I never did a birth plan last time, my water broke at 36+5. I’m meeting a consultant in august but I’ll only be 28 weeks then so I don’t think they’ll mention it then either. Tbh I’m leaning towards a section anyway for loads of reasons which I’ve prob bored everyone with already 😂 x

This time around, because I wanted a csection, I brought it up around 32 weeks with my consultant. But other than that, nothing was brought up and after the declined that, nothing else was brought up.

You can download birth plan templates online if you want a fancy one, or just write your own.
But if you have something in mind, make sure you take it with you and physically hand it to them when you're in labour. I had a birth plan with my first and it wasn't asked about or looked at when I was in labour
Why did they decline your c section request if you don’t mind me asking sorry x

Reactions: 1
Definitely. It’s shocking isn’t it. My midwife never texts me back or answers the phone either even when I fell down the stairs. I never did a birth plan last time, my water broke at 36+5. I’m meeting a consultant in august but I’ll only be 28 weeks then so I don’t think they’ll mention it then either. Tbh I’m leaning towards a section anyway for loads of reasons which I’ve prob bored everyone with already 😂 x

Why did they decline your c section request if you don’t mind me asking sorry x
Their main reason was because I had a hemorrhage with my 2nd and said a csection is a higher risk of hemorrhage.

I asked for a second opinion because with my second, I had a 3C tear, which is why I wanted a csection.
And then he basically said no too and I didn't have the guts to fight it anymore

• Sad
I can’t remember being talked to about my birthing plan, but I do remember that from about 32 weeks or so they want you to carry your notes with you EVERYWHERE just in case.

Your birth plan will go in your notes so time to start researching your preferences and putting something together. But make it flexible 🙂
This time around, because I wanted a csection, I brought it up around 32 weeks with my consultant. But other than that, nothing was brought up
Right, not what I was expecting again! Happy to do some research but could do with understanding what’s available to me. For example, I’d love a water birth: is that an option at my Trust, would I be eligible etc.

I was also told on one consultant call that they wouldn’t want me going over 40 weeks because I’m over 40 so what does that mean - will they pencil me in for an induction in advance just in case?

I’ve spoken to a different consultant each time so no continuity of care. The call has never lasted more than 5 mins.

Perhaps I need to stop being passive and waiting for them to bring topics up and start asking myself. Thanks for the advice ladies.

Right, not what I was expecting again! Happy to do some research but could do with understanding what’s available to me. For example, I’d love a water birth: is that an option at my Trust, would I be eligible etc.

I was also told on one consultant call that they wouldn’t want me going over 40 weeks because I’m over 40 so what does that mean - will they pencil me in for an induction in advance just in case?

I’ve spoken to a different consultant each time so no continuity of care. The call has never lasted more than 5 mins.

Perhaps I need to stop being passive and waiting for them to bring topics up and start asking myself. Thanks for the advice ladies.
I think with a lot of them, you have to take the lead. I've had to repeat myself at every appointment.
Which is understandable when they see so many women but mine dont even take notes.
So they just go through the standard questions every time.

I would write a list of your questions and ask them at your next consultant appointment.
If you're consultant led, it's pretty pointless asking the midwife a lot of the time 😂

@GlennCoco they didn’t listen to the heartbeat at my 16 week appointment, it’s my second baby though and they genuinely don’t seem as arsed, the difference between this and my first pregnancy is staggering. I’m not sure if that’s because of covid though x
Oh man that's so disappointing! When my midwife booked this appointment she definitely mentioned hearing the baby's heartbeat and we're bringing our little girl for that reason so I hope they do it 🙈

I've already spoken with a consultant and my midwife about me having a section and they've both been okay with it. The consultant sent me some stuff about sections and VBAC which I've read but I'm still telling them I want a section. I'm not going through what I went through last time

• Heart
It does make me a little sad how so much needs to be done over the phone ? my whole booking in app was a phone call and they already booked my 16 weeks app over the phone there and then 🙄
I tried to stress to them that I was a little bit worried because of how long it took us to conceive, previous miscarriage and having a lletz procedure in the past but they just didn’t seem that bothered. :(

My first and failed pregnancy they had put me down for consultant led I don’t remember the reasons as it was so long ago but I haven’t been put down for it this time and I’m a little confused I guess. I’m not sure of the differences or why they wouldn’t think I need it this time?

Tomorrow I have an appointment for bloods+urine, so I guess I could ask? I’m not sure if I need it, it’s just odd that they would’ve thought I needed it before but not this time?

Oh well I just try take each day at a time

• Sad
  • Heart
It does make me a little sad how so much needs to be done over the phone ? my whole booking in app was a phone call and they already booked my 16 weeks app over the phone there and then 🙄
I tried to stress to them that I was a little bit worried because of how long it took us to conceive, previous miscarriage and having a lletz procedure in the past but they just didn’t seem that bothered. :(

My first and failed pregnancy they had put me down for consultant led I don’t remember the reasons as it was so long ago but I haven’t been put down for it this time and I’m a little confused I guess. I’m not sure of the differences or why they wouldn’t think I need it this time?

Tomorrow I have an appointment for bloods+urine, so I guess I could ask? I’m not sure if I need it, it’s just odd that they would’ve thought I needed it before but not this time?

Oh well I just try take each day at a time
Maybe the blood tests will give more information about the level of care you need, without them they might not have a complete picture? Definitely say something when you have your appt tomorrow, never hurts to double check.

I think my midwife said there would be more discussion about what care would be needed at my 12 week appt, she definitely said some things will be kept a closer eye on bc of my BMI and age.

Good luck

Mines been the same, I’m sure 5 years ago I had midwife apps every 4 weeks!

First mentioned at 12 weeks, again at 16 but I am consultant led, final decision to be made at 36 weeks I think!

What determines whether you are midwife or consultant led? This is all completely new to me so there’s lots I’m unsure if. I’m so gutted I have covid and can’t make my booking in appointment tomorrow but after reading all your posts I feel grateful that they didn’t offer to do it over the phone and have rescheduled for next week.

What determines whether you are midwife or consultant led? This is all completely new to me so there’s lots I’m unsure if. I’m so gutted I have covid and can’t make my booking in appointment tomorrow but after reading all your posts I feel grateful that they didn’t offer to do it over the phone and have rescheduled for next week.
Normally to do with medical history, family medical history and any previous issues with pregnancy/birth.

I’m consultant led due to my mum having hypertension and other family medical history (diabetes, TB etc.) and my son being an emergency c section baby.

I was midwife led for my first pregnancy and I was at first during this pregnancy, then they changed it after my booking app to consultant led care because I had a major post partum haemorrhage after my first birth. I’ve also got a low lying placenta so I’m having more scans to determine if I need a section or not. If it wasn’t for the PPH though I think I’d still be midwife led as my BMI is 25 and I’m under 35 with no existing health conditions. I have had one come biopsy taken from my cervix after a few abnormal smears and I had pre cancerous cells removed but they are only concerned about this if you’ve had 2 or more treatments. Tbh all it means in my case is I see a consultant at 28 weeks then I assume they make the decisions about my care and apps going forward.

I haven’t heard back from the message I left for the EPA service on Monday morning. If I haven’t heard back by Thursday I’ll call again.

I work in the hospital where we’d likely go and I know they’ve had massive issues with lack of staff, had to close the midwife led birthing unit multiple times in the last year and generally can’t keep up with demand. Without turning this thread political or derailing the whole NHS is on its knees at the moment but it’s quite swept under the rug unless you’re directly in it I think.

Mines been the same, I’m sure 5 years ago I had midwife apps every 4 weeks!

First mentioned at 12 weeks, again at 16 but I am consultant led, final decision to be made at 36 weeks I think!
You always have more appointments with your first pregnancy 😊
There's quite a few they skip when it's your 2nd+

I haven’t heard back from the message I left for the EPA service on Monday morning. If I haven’t heard back by Thursday I’ll call again.

I work in the hospital where we’d likely go and I know they’ve had massive issues with lack of staff, had to close the midwife led birthing unit multiple times in the last year and generally can’t keep up with demand. Without turning this thread political or derailing the whole NHS is on its knees at the moment but it’s quite swept under the rug unless you’re directly in it I think.
How far are you?
There's no harm in checking up obviously but ours don't contact you at all, not even recognition of getting your referral until 8+ weeks

I was midwife led for my first pregnancy and I was at first during this pregnancy, then they changed it after my booking app to consultant led care because I had a major post partum haemorrhage after my first birth. I’ve also got a low lying placenta so I’m having more scans to determine if I need a section or not. If it wasn’t for the PPH though I think I’d still be midwife led as my BMI is 25 and I’m under 35 with no existing health conditions. I have had one come biopsy taken from my cervix after a few abnormal smears and I had pre cancerous cells removed but they are only concerned about this if you’ve had 2 or more treatments. Tbh all it means in my case is I see a consultant at 28 weeks then I assume they make the decisions about my care and apps going forward.
That's basically all it is.
You'll still see your midwife as normal but instead of your midwife, for example saying, yeah, let's book you in for a sweep, they have to ask the consultant if it's okay first.
Same as booking in for induction ect the consultant has to give the midwife permission to go ahead.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.