Pregnancy #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Amazing thank you!!
How was recovery if you have other children (my son will be 2)so worried about recovery. When did you get your date for the section? :)
Yes my first section was with baby 3. I was very lucky that my parents did all the school runs for my eldest and took my middle (who was just shy of 3) out a few times a week so I had plenty of time to do nothing. But the days I had them all it was fine. I was careful with not picking them up etc, and just being sensible. I got my date at my 34 week appointment.

The recovery wasn’t anywhere near as bad as I thought tbh. First two weeks I was much better than I expected. Then it seemed to stall a bit around week 3-4, and by week 5 mostly back to normal.

Tearing is what I’m most fearful of in labour, physically.
Were you cut or just allowed to tear?
I read that if you’re cut it can encourage a bigger tear. They used a piece of fabric as an example, try to rip it and it’ll stretch, put a nick in it and it’ll tear at that point so much easier so it did seem plausible? But then a cut is easier to stitch and controls the direction I’ve read too.
From actual experience could you say what’s best?
You can tell them your preference before hand and I’m unsure.
I’ve had one very bad tear, and one episiotomy that tore further. Tbh both are ripping you where you aren’t really supposed to rip so neither are ideal. Both my tears healed well though, and certainly my 2nd degree wasn’t overly sore or troubling. My 3rd degree was bad, but I worked on it a lot (think pelvic floor exercises for your bum 🤣) and it healed well.

While we’re on the topic of elective c-sections, when I had my first baby I had a pre-eclampsia and ended up having a 3rd degree tear and lost around 2.5l of blood. I don’t remember any of my birth or the 24hrs afterwards, I don’t remember holding my baby for the first time or any of that, so only know anything from my partner. It was a really traumatic time for everyone, especially my partner who can’t watch anyone give birth on tv now because it brings back really crap memories for him. I was wondering what my chances of having a c-section actually are? I’m so worried I’m going to have to go through all that again now I’m pregnant again. I really don’t want to have to give birth naturally again
My second gave me a 3rd degree tear and I was advised to have a section afterwards because of that. It was by far my best birth. As with you, the previous experiences left me totally out of it (once with blood loss and the second time just with everything happening and the trauma) and I don’t remember my babies first hours. With the section I remember it all and it was so much smoother and calm!

Reactions: 4
Iv never heard of anyone doing this other than the kardashians 😂 not sure what all the benefits are, apparently it helps with menopause? Think I’d rather just go through normal menopause than ask midwives if I can keep my placenta 😆
When I did my birth plan there was a question about how I wanted the placenta delivered, and then the midwife asked if I wanted to keep it for anything 😅

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
I had a 3rd degree tear, which was apparently “a hair’s width” from being a 4th degree 🤢😱 So they advised I had sections afterwards as they were worried it could tear along the same again and make it the whole way to 4th. Luckily I healed well, but they said should it happen again I most likely wouldn’t heal so well. I have no desire to be crapping myself forever more so was very happy to go for a section 🤣 My son had a huge head (he was only 8lbs 12 so not enormous) but he was back to back and stuck, so they had to use the big forceps for him. Was a total palaver. I would have still had discomfort - not necessarily pain- for a few years afterwards. But if you are worried about the pain you’re having you should definitely speak to a GP or midwife about it.
I’m sorry to hear that :( I am currently having treatment for my issues

While we’re on the topic of elective c-sections, when I had my first baby I had a pre-eclampsia and ended up having a 3rd degree tear and lost around 2.5l of blood. I don’t remember any of my birth or the 24hrs afterwards, I don’t remember holding my baby for the first time or any of that, so only know anything from my partner. It was a really traumatic time for everyone, especially my partner who can’t watch anyone give birth on tv now because it brings back really crap memories for him. I was wondering what my chances of having a c-section actually are? I’m so worried I’m going to have to go through all that again now I’m pregnant again. I really don’t want to have to give birth naturally again
It’s your choice and I think they would agree with you

I was cut when I had my daughter, It healed fine after a month or so but I’m a bit worried it will happen again, is they’re a higher risk second time round ?
Not necessarily. We tend to stretch better with subsequent children but scar tissue can be less stretchy so you may tear. But the risk of tearing is less in multiparous women.
Oh I’ve never heard of that. I can’t imagine leaving the hospital carrying my placenta 😳
We once had a couple take theirs home in an ice cream tub, and another couple used an roses tub. I have had to bring placentas to the hospital in my car boot after home births. I was so worried I'd forget it was in there 😬😬

• Wow
Reactions: 3
My gran who is now 90, had her babies at home. Bare in mind this was a good 60 years ago. She delivered the placenta & the midwife said do you want to eat it then? I will leave it in the kitchen for you. My gran promptly got up and threw it on the fire, which hours later failed to burn it so it was put in the bin. 😂

• Haha
Yes my first section was with baby 3. I was very lucky that my parents did all the school runs for my eldest and took my middle (who was just shy of 3) out a few times a week so I had plenty of time to do nothing. But the days I had them all it was fine. I was careful with not picking them up etc, and just being sensible. I got my date at my 34 week appointment.

The recovery wasn’t anywhere near as bad as I thought tbh. First two weeks I was much better than I expected. Then it seemed to stall a bit around week 3-4, and by week 5 mostly back to normal.

Thank you so much! ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Hey ladies, wish I was dropping in with good news but I’m not. Confirmed today that I have a blighted ovum and I’m having surgery this weekend. Hopefully I can join back here in a few months time with a healthy pregnancy! I have had all week to accept it so I was expecting this today. Hope your all feeling well! Go easy on the salt and vinegar crisps 😁 Love to you all xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Hey ladies, wish I was dropping in with good news but I’m not. Confirmed today that I have a blighted ovum and I’m having surgery this weekend. Hopefully I can join back here in a few months time with a healthy pregnancy! I have had all week to accept it so I was expecting this today. Hope your all feeling well! Go easy on the salt and vinegar crisps 😁 Love to you all xxx
So sorry to hear this. I hope your surgery goes ok and you feel well afterwards. X

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Sending you all the love xxxx

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I an so sorry. Lots of love and hope to see you back here soon xx

• Heart
Hope all goes well and we see you back here again soon x

• Heart
So sorry for your loss. Hope you get pregnant again very soon xxxx take care

• Heart
Had our private scan this morning and saw our little baby/blob and it’s heartbeat! Measuring 8 weeks 6 days which is pretty much spot on. Still a way to go but it feels a bit more real now!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.